ADVERTISEMENT

Serial Podcast

patrick593

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 12, 2007
Columbus, OH
Sorry if this was already discussed... I went back 20 pages and found nothing.

Anyone else listen? Just did a 16 hr drive back from Tampa yesterday so me and the lil lady popped in the podcast and listened start to finish. Pretty much made the time from Valdosta - Louisville disappear. Very captivating stuff.

Just curious if others came to the same conclusion I did.

Adnon definitely did it... but he was also screwed by his lawyer. Any half decent lawyer, IMO, could have poked so many holes in that case to get him off the hook. The cops were super shady, and lazy for that matter. Found a punk who helped him do it and made the evidence they did have fit instead of doing a real investigation that may compromise some of their efforts.

I highly suggest if you haven't listened, download. Its great to listen with someone and discuss. I found my girlfriend and I spending 10-15 minutes discussing each episode before moving on.

My final thoughts -

If you're ever a suspect and you're truly innocent. Sit down and write out your timeline for all your events in as detailed a way as possible. Much of my suspicion of Adnon comes from the "I don't remember defense". If the cops call you asking you where your missing ex is, start building your defense.
and
Make sure you hire a fantastic attorney... for anything. Good lord, listening to this lady in court made me hate her and her client.

For those of you who chimed in on the Atlanta restaurant post from a few weeks back - Mainly Soap Creek.

We went to Rays in the City and had one of the most over priced, worst serviced meals of my life. Had to ask the guy 3 times for water and silverware. Took them almost 15 minutes before that happened. Food was mediocre at best and upcharges were not explained before ordering. Bill up over $100 for a meh meal... Weird hostess lady kept coming and talking to us complaining about the homeless who come in. Finished our meal and got out of there asap. Went to Sun Dial for drinks, which helped.
Didn't make it to Sublime (even though we had planned on it) but went to Flying Buscuit instead. The neighborhood it was in was really cool. Reminded me of Lincoln Park in Chicago. Food was decent but there was friendly staff and like I said, was a cool location.

This post was edited on 1/4 9:19 PM by patrick593

I really enjoyed the podcast. I'm torn on whether Andnon really did it, but ultimately I think he probably did. Jay definitely was more involved though. His story never made much sense.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Listened to it as well and loved it. I think the possibility of police corruption using Jay as a mounpiece(we know what you do, testify like this and you're home free) can't be overlooked given that one of the detectives was fired for basically that same thing a few years later. His stories just make no sense and his interview now basically refutes his whole timeline at trial.

Adnan may have done it, but the revelation that a guy convicted of strangling an 18 year old Asian Woodlawn HS student and leaving her body in a park in Baltimore was free at the time of Hae's murder is super fishy. How could that person NOT be suspect A in the death? Kind of reeks of "we may have a serial killer out there but let's just lean on Jay to get this done and dusted so we can get out stats up for the bosses".

And I say that as someone who clerked at the Prosecutor's office in law school so I have no anti- police bias whatsoever and if anything would lean the other way. The whole prosecution just seems off, not enough to go on for me at all, even if the police believe Jay wholeheartedly, which would be hard to believe.

I'll respond to both of you on this

I agree with both of you that the cops seemed like they leaned on Jay to help convict Adnon. Shady dealings abound, especially talking with the cops for 3 hours off tape before taping confession. Seems so dirty to me and to hear what you're saying about the guy getting fired a few years later.. makes sense.
Actually, I couldn't help but think about the cops in The Wire when they talked to the jury and any possible criminal pasts.
As for Scottlands comment on the serial killer suggestion late in the piece. It should have been investigated, but I thought it was a long shot of all long shots. What upset me the most about all of it was the lack of DNA testing, fibers found and not tested, and other evidence at the scene of Hae's body that should have at least been processed. At the end of the day though, if a serial killer was involved, why did jay know exactly where her car was, and for that matter that she was choked to death by someone's bare hands.

Overall, bad police work overall. Part of the reason that, IMO, clearly Adnon did it. That said, its the prosecutor's job to prove that beyond any reasonable doubt and they didn't do it. They leaned on Jay to get a conviction and got it. There are certainly other holes that the defense could have poked to help Adnon walk. I think this podcast will help him get that chance, but I guess I'm torn on whether it actually should or not.

Either way, I think everyone who listens to it ends up with "I'm torn"
Great stuff by NPR

Honestly I'm not convinced that Jay actually knew where the car was. That originally came from the off the record convo and then when they started taping they said something to the effect of "tell us what you just told us when the tape was off". That just reeks. Plus the car was found fairly close to where her body was found, so its not as though it would take stellar cop work to find it on their own.

Bottom line for me is that I'm not sure he's innocent, at all, but I'm sure that there's reasonable doubt. The comments made by some of the jurors show you why lawyers almost always advise settlement or a plea. This seems like a slam dunk "not guilty" to me by virtue of reasonable doubt, even if you think he probably did it, and look how it turned out. Kind of scary actually.

Never really thought of that...

Seems a little too "set up" to feed the drug dealer the car info to testify but I wouldn't completely discredit that thought.

So many inconsistencies. Found myself getting frustrated with the fact that if Adnon was innocent why the hell can't he remember anything. "I was high" is not a good defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT