ADVERTISEMENT

seniors will be granted another year

You state, "if your season still had games left, you should get the opportunity for another year.... that's primarily men's and women's basketball..."

So again, my point is there are a lot of men's and women's basketball teams whose season is complete. Nebraska's season IS over. Northwestern's season IS over. There is a larger portion of NCAA basketball teams who's season IS over. So where are you drawing that line? We giving eligibility to teams who still had a game left? Are we going to have some teams with 13 scholly players and others with 17ish? Alot of problems to consider just for the idea that some players may have lost our on 1 more game.

The NCAA tournament, or conference tournament for those who had not completed theirs, is not guaranteed to anyone. Yet you think players should get a complete year of eligibility based off the fact that they may have missed possibly 1 game. Do we in the future give Medical Redshirts to a player that plays all year, but gets injured in the last game of the season and has to sit out their teams Tournament?
It’s an extraordinary circumstance that, in my view, merits an extraordinary response (or the strong consideration of it). There’s no perfect solution, but I’m not a big fan of the “Shit happens, sucks to be you” response from so many here. Not sure why “No!” Is the favored response when this is supposed to be about student athletes.

Reactions: Radio Zero
It’s an extraordinary circumstance that, in my view, merits an extraordinary response (or the strong consideration of it). There’s no perfect solution, but I’m not a big fan of the “Shit happens, sucks to be you” response from so many here. Not sure why “No!” Is the favored response when this is supposed to be about student athletes.
Exactly. What better way for the NCAA to show that it’s all about the student-athletes than to pony up another year of eligibility? It’s not like it will cost anything, except maybe for the schools. But they’ve got deep pockets.

A lot of guys can get a start on a master’s degree, or a J.D., or whatever.

You say it’s “alot” of “problems” to deal with for some guys who may have only missed out on, say, one game (or less!), but you have to bear in mind that we’re not talking about Milton in his basement office having to work out a path forward all by himself. We’re talking about the NCAA and all the resources it has at hand to get this situation equitably resolved. It’s EXACTLY why we’re paying them the big bucks.

P.S. Point taken about Nebraska’s season.

EDIT. Added the post script, subtracted the profanity.

Yes, the NCAA brass makes big bucks... but do you think University of Evansville makes big bucks to support? What about Wofford and the vast majority of participating schools? Most are D2 and D3. It's the schools that have to pay for this, not the NCAA organization themselves.

Again, it's a mess anyway you slice it, but I think the line has to be drawn at Winter versus Spring sports. Unfortunately 68 teams out of the 347 D1 basketball teams lose and oportunity to play a great tournament. But that is what it is.

Reactions: RRgo
Yes, the NCAA brass makes big bucks... but do you think University of Evansville makes big bucks to support? What about Wofford and the vast majority of participating schools? Most are D2 and D3. It's the schools that have to pay for this, not the NCAA organization themselves.

Again, it's a mess anyway you slice it, but I think the line has to be drawn at Winter versus Spring sports. Unfortunately 68 teams out of the 347 D1 basketball teams lose and oportunity to play a great tournament. But that is what it is.
I wouldn’t have the slightest idea what kind of endowment Evansville has, so I will pass on that particular example. I DO know that we are talking about giving MAYBE four or five student-athletes per institution another additional year of free schooling. Or take a school like Davidson: WOODROW WILSON was a student there. Are you telling me that they don’t have the funds to make this happen? Absurd.

I honestly don’t know anything else better on which to spend that money.

I think basketball or any other sport that was impacted should be a part of this.

Think what you want, it’s not gonna happen. They had their season. They didn’t get to play their tournament, big difference. Then not being about play at all. So most missed 0 games a lot 1. Fewer 6-10

Think what you want, it’s not gonna happen. They had their season. They didn’t get to play their tournament, big difference. Then not being about play at all. So most missed 0 games a lot 1. Fewer 6-10
They had their SHORTENED season. Let’s at least be honest about what it was. You owe them that much.

Why just seniors? Why not anyone from any of the 4 classes impacted get an optiobnal 5th year. Probably only a small percentage take advantage. Maybe an extra group of grad transfers to choose from? By the time Race and Hunter leave the program they will be 25.

Why just seniors? Why not anyone from any of the 4 classes impacted get an optiobnal 5th year. Probably only a small percentage take advantage. Maybe an extra group of grad transfers to choose from? By the time Race and Hunter leave the program they will be 25.
I think most of the plans out there probably ARE trying to take into account how all this will affect non-seniors.

I understand it’s a long shot since most people don’t really care about the players at all. Have yet to see any thoughtful views against it other than the “tough shit” argument, but that’s to be expected from most people, I guess.

The NCAA already makes it possible for certain SA’s to extend the “5 to play 4” standards, and no one complains about it or views it as an unfair advantage. This would be a unique, one year situation. Really surprised at the sharp “no” response.

I also don’t think anyone would argue that the student-athletes would be REQUIRED to stay in school the additional year. I suppose an argument could be made that it SHOULD be mandatory, but I’m not ready to do so. Maybe that position is being taken up in the media, or elsewhere; I don’t know. But it isn’t as if we would be telling them they can’t go to the NBA - it’s the *NBA* telling them that, after all.

EDIT. Made more thoughtful.

Reactions: Birnk403
This is bigger than sports, and it’s possible you will see non student athletes given more time. Kids feel that they are being robbed of their senior season. People pay a lot of money, not to be sent home in an e-learning environment, but to receive all of the benefits of attending a college.

My senior year was truly special. If I had been sent home prior to spring break, well, let’s just say my college experience would have taken a massive hit.

no matter what happens with the 2 seniors on IUs basketball team, one thing is certain, there will be a massive outcry amongst current college seniors and enormous pressure to offer something up in return, like another semester at no charge.

Seniors had completed their final season. Post seasons are not guaranteed to any player. Move on.
I don’t want to argue with you, bud, though I’m afraid I will if I have to. Even though I’m sure you don’t realize it, we go back - a long way - on the football forum, and don’t you just know it there’s few enough of us who hang over there.

You step toward an oiled pile of words with that, a toilsome vacuity (to dine, to feast upon bread of comrades, if only we could cease the gnashing of our teeth, and taste a true word!) into which I am sorely tempted to cast myself. Yet let us refuse to debate definition, because too soon we rank out one another over debased and devalued niceties, debating “at table,” as it were, a soupçon of the prideful tears of impoverished gentility, their stilled hubris, on your part, perhaps (or perhaps on *mine*), and a nice service of ressentiment on my part, not unlike tripe heaping upon itself in a madness of strangely greyish self-glory (or is it only the assertion of self, and not the true thing itself?): now who quells the rising tumult of discordant vice and virtue, who rides the winding waves of our heroically petty, vain disputes, encompassing the empty hall, with chairs unseated all this while mocking us? The food fight of our rivalries, shouting into darkness and never calling the other out from it, our vanity of formlessness, as it were, and yet let us lay it down at the last, together, as brothers once again in the final end, the meal of strife finished, and we never more to take up our baby backed knives in play unchildish, knowing a strange form as we clashed.

EDIT. Anti-complacency league baby!

Last edited:
I don't have a problem granting a redshirt or an extra year to players in the spring sports since they had just begun. My son was behind the mic at the opening of UE's newly remodeled stadium for their 5-4 victory over IU. That new facility will be new once and will now sit empty for a year. Seniors will have played one game there.

Basketball finished their regular season. Many seniors were done. No more games to play. Giving them another year would be like playing a game over. for something that happened after the final buzzer went off. I feel bad for players that had their college career cut short. It is similar to a player that gets hurt late in the season.

High school kids that won't play in college are going through the same thing. Do we let them repeat their senior year because they are deeply disappointed? There was a time we accepted our disappointments and became stronger for getting through hard times.

I don’t want to argue with you, bud, though I’m afraid I will if I have to. Even though I’m sure you don’t realize it, we go back - a long way - on the football forum, and don’t you just know it there’s few enough of us who hang over there.

You step toward an oiled pile of words with that, a toilsome vacuity (to dine, to feast upon bread of comrades, if only we could cease the gnashing of our teeth, and taste a true word!) into which I am sorely tempted to cast myself. Yet let us refuse to debate definition, because too soon we rank out one another over debased and devalued niceties, debating “at table,” as it were, a soupçon of the prideful tears of impoverished gentility, their stilled hubris, on your part, perhaps (or perhaps on *mine*), and a nice service of ressentiment on my part, not unlike tripe heaping upon itself in a madness of strangely greyish self-glory (or is it only the assertion of self, and not the true thing itself?): now who quells the rising tumult of discordant vice and virtue, who rides the winding waves of our heroically petty, vain disputes, encompassing the empty hall, with chairs unseated all this while mocking us? The food fight of our rivalries, shouting into darkness and never calling the other out from it, our vanity of formlessness, as it were, and yet let us lay it down at the last, together, as brothers once again in the final end, the meal of strife finished, and we never more to take up our baby backed knives in play unchildish, knowing a strange form as we clashed.

EDIT. Anti-complacency league baby!
Is this Bill Walton?

Reactions: RRgo and Radio Zero
If this gets implemented, please, for the love of God, give coaches some discretion here. Don’t make this mandatory.
The mandatory element is something that a lot of IU fans, no doubt, would want to avoid. But I think what’s salient here is that IU, as an institution, is bound to observe whatever it is that the NCAA, as the parent body, decides.

And let’s just be honest here: a lot of these so-called fans are nervous about the prospect of Green and Davis returning for fifth years. That’s the elephant in the room, and why threads like this are generating so much heat (though, as is typical, little light). And, as far as I know, nobody has yet addressed my point that an additional year CAN ONLY MEAN further development of Green’s game, which I simply fail to see as a BAD thing. Things can only get better.

The mandatory element is something that a lot of IU fans, no doubt, would want to avoid. But I think what’s salient here is that IU, as an institution, is bound to observe whatever it is that the NCAA, as the parent body, decides.

And let’s just be honest here: a lot of these so-called fans are nervous about the prospect of Green and Davis returning for fifth years. That’s the elephant in the room, and why threads like this are generating so much heat (though, as is typical, little light). And, as far as I know, nobody has yet addressed my point that an additional year CAN ONLY MEAN further development of Green’s game, which I simply fail to see as a BAD thing. Things can only get better.
I hope someone is making sure to keep ufo33 away from sharp objects.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
What about HS seniors? Should they be allowed to have another senior year? If not, why are college seniors special? It's encouraging when people have empathy, which is way too unusual in these years. But here it's misplaced.

Dude, show some concern for these HS athletes. They work hard too. Live herring.
Don’t call me “dude.” It sounds terrible.

Look, none of us knows, at the moment, how the individual state HSAA’s are going to deal with this. I don’t know, maybe they WOULD (at least) consider giving/mandating a “fifth year” senior class. We are in uncharted waters right now. Were they to do that, I AGREE that it would address a lot of people’s concerns about how the NCAA situation would affect incoming freshmen.

You’ve just got to figure that some thoughtful and creative people are going to come up with some pretty innovative ideas to make this plan work.

Don’t call me “dude.” It sounds terrible.

Look, none of us knows, at the moment, how the individual state HSAA’s are going to deal with this. I don’t know, maybe they WOULD (at least) consider giving/mandating a “fifth year” senior class. We are in uncharted waters right now. Were they to do that, I AGREE that it would address a lot of people’s concerns about how the NCAA situation would affect incoming freshmen.

You’ve just got to figure that some thoughtful and creative people are going to come up with some pretty innovative ideas to make this plan work.
Holding kids back and not letting them get on with their lives because of a game isn't helping them.

I know you aren't serious, at least I hope you aren't serious.

Reactions: twenty02
Holding kids back and not letting them get on with their lives because of a game isn't helping them.

I know you aren't serious, at least I hope you aren't serious.
Well, maybe it’s going too far for an HSAA to mandate kids stay in school for a fifth year, but it’s not something I’m willing to say ISN’T being discussed, either. But I don’t know why anyone would argue about making it available, at least for students who are going to moving on to NCAA competition. I don’t know. There’s just a lot of factors that are going into this.

Actually, to make my position clear in case it's not, s**t happens. We need to move on. Neither high schools nor colleges should try to make whole these people who are affected by this pandemic so little compared to so many people. Let's move on to more important issues we might be able to solve.

Actually, to make my position clear in case it's not, s**t happens. We need to move on. Neither high schools nor colleges should try to make whole these people who are affected by this pandemic so little compared to so many people. Let's move on to more important issues we might be able to solve.
No problem, and understood.

I would argue, however, that this is EXACTLY the kind of issue related to the pandemic that we ARE able to solve, and that’s precisely why it SHOULD be addressed. I mean, it’s not going to detract from the effort to find a cure/vaccine, as if all the bureaucrats at the NCAA Hall of Tournaments in Indy would be researching the virus if only they weren’t tied up with issues like those we’re debating. Absurd. Most of them are probably sporting M.A.’s in Sports and Exercise Management, or there’s an occasional J.D. sprinkled in. Maybe some bachelor degrees in Political Science?

EDIT. Changed “should” to “SHOULD” (more an aesthetic than a rhetorical decision).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why shouldn’t we try to help a group negatively impacted by all of this? If we don’t and “move on”, will the ncaa be able to help us “move on to more important issues we might be able to solve”?

Juniors already have another year. That’s what “juniors” means.
Those juniors will become seniors. IF you allow current seniors to return and they take away major playing time from a current junior who was ready to take over, then you have robbed that kid of his entire senior year. So to me the real athletes who would be most impacted are the current juniors. They could have possibly spent all season sitting behind a senior only to have that happen again except now they would both be seniors. put me in the sorry about your luck group. you played your senior year. you had 4 or 5 years of college athletics. rough way to end it but life isn't always fair. Get used to it and move on. sick of the entitlement of this world we live in.

Reactions: ams66
Those juniors will become seniors. IF you allow current seniors to return and they take away major playing time from a current junior who was ready to take over, then you have robbed that kid of his entire senior year. So to me the real athletes who would be most impacted are the current juniors. They could have possibly spent all season sitting behind a senior only to have that happen again except now they would both be seniors. put me in the sorry about your luck group. you played your senior year. you had 4 or 5 years of college athletics. rough way to end it but life isn't always fair. Get used to it and move on. sick of the entitlement of this world we live in.
If you DON’T allow this year’s seniors to return (or mandate that they do so), then THEY will be robbed of the conclusion to their senior years - we KNOW that. What you write about juniors being robbed of playing time during what will be their senior seasons is purely speculative. And if they ARE, then why should we not apply your concluding “thought”: “rough way to end it but life isn’t always fair.”

I think the technical term, from both logic and debate, for that little dodge is “being a dishonest prick.”

EDIT. Moved around some quotation marks and no, I’m not revealing any more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT