ADVERTISEMENT

seniors will be granted another year

Don't take the bait. Not gonna happen. Life has disappointments and everybody has to deal with it.

Reactions: ams66
Why should seniors who just finished their senior year get an extra year because the tournament was cancelled? Laughable.
Hardly.

Through no fault of their own, they were all robbed of the chance to put the finishing touches to their careers. Nor is it the case that only a couple games were missed: we’re talking the cancellation of the conference tournaments, the CBI, the NIT, and the NCAA. Mere fair mindedness would demand that an additional year be granted; sheer pettiness would deny it.

Reactions: Birnk403
Nor is it the fault of the Sophomores and Juniors behind him. Let a lone the freshmen coming in. So players that are freshman or being taught to take the seniors place. You tell them to hell with them. Chemistry will be gone.
Do they get a extra year as well?

I feel for them I really do. It doesn’t change the facts. It’s over

In a conversation with an administrator of the Horizon League, per the NCAA, seniors will be granted an additional year. She did not specify which sports would be included.

Nor is it the fault of the Sophomores and Juniors behind him. Let a lone the freshmen coming in. So players that are freshman or being taught to take the seniors place. You tell them to hell with them. Chemistry will be gone.

I never said “to hell with them.” Don’t misrepresent what I said. It’s very dishonest and reflects poorly on you.

NCAA can do what it wants. It’s been clearly stated that the plan will include a greater number of scholarships. So, no, freshmen and sophomores and juniors will NOT, in any way, be adversely affected. Do you really think they would not have thought through all this? If you do think that, perhaps you ought to raise your concerns with the NCAA itself. Getting on their website, in fact, will allow you to investigate, FOR YOURSELF, the plan.

Your statement on chemistry is purely speculative.

I never said “to hell with them.” Don’t misrepresent what I said. It’s very dishonest and reflects poorly on you.

NCAA can do what it wants. It’s been clearly stated that the plan will include a greater number of scholarships. So, no, freshmen and sophomores and juniors will NOT, in any way, be adversely affected. Do you really think they would not have thought through all this? If you do think that, perhaps you ought to raise your concerns with the NCAA itself. Getting on their website, in fact, will allow you to investigate, FOR YOURSELF, the plan.

If this goes through everyone is saying it to them. They train to take those spots. They’re recruited in to take those spot. That’s facts.... So a year is lost for them. Reality is your gonna lose players. An it’s gonna be easier to lose players. With a rule soon to be that allows players to transfer and instant eligibility.

If this goes through everyone is saying it to them. They train to take those spots. They’re recruited in to take those spot. That’s facts.... So a year is lost for them. Reality is your gonna lose players. An it’s gonna be easier to lose players. With a rule soon to be that allows players to transfer and instant eligibility.
No, it’s not “facts,” or “reality.”

EVERY TEAM WILL UNDERGO ADAPTATION. Non-seniors will quickly get their bearings and coaches get the treat of developing their guys for a fifth (or even sixth!) year.

It is going to be a very unusual and memorable season. We’re all going to get another year, another go ‘round for the seniors. If you’re not looking forward to this, I’m not even sure you’re much of a fan.

P.S. I’m just going to ignore your refusal to apologize for twisting my words, though it’s a question of your character in my reckoning.

No, it’s not “facts,” or “reality.”

EVERY TEAM WILL UNDERGO ADAPTATION. Non-seniors will quickly get their bearings and coaches get the treat of developing their guys for a fifth (or even sixth!) year.

It is going to be a very unusual and memorable season. We’re all going to get another year, another go ‘round for the seniors. If you’re not looking forward to this, I’m not even sure you’re much of a fan.

P.S. I’m just going to ignore your refusal to apologize for twisting my words, though it’s a question of your character in my reckoning.

lol, reality.... no redo of senior year is going to happen. Blow smoke all you want. It’s not..I’m not questioning your character, your answering...

No one has said “to hell with them”, though it’s not hard to draw that conclusion about some people’s views of seniors who’ve missed a pretty big moment in their athletic lives. Considering an extension of eligibility for seniors makes a great deal of sense and is reflective of the unusual circumstances in which we’re in. If it’s supposed to be about student athletes, this needs to be strongly considered and, hopefully, enacted.

Reactions: Radio Zero
In a world where we give out participation trophies I don't know how anyone thinks there isn't a good possibility this happens. Enough people start screaming and crying that this is not fair to seniors, you bet your ass it is gonna happen.

Personally I am kinda for it, will make for 2 years that go down in the history books. Should make for some of the best teams ever assembled next year in theory, doubt that happens, but MSU would be fun to watch for example if they got Langford back.

It’s not going to happen in basketball.
They exhausted eligibility.. It’s over.
They played their season. Most schools don’t make the NCAA tournament. So it makes zero sense. They’re not giving a year for players that already had theirs.
Next we will be watering our fields with orange drink.

IMHO
this world is bsc

Reactions: travlinhoosier
It’s not going to happen in basketball.
They exhausted eligibility.. It’s over.
They played their season. Most schools don’t make the NCAA tournament. So it makes zero sense. They’re not giving a year for players that already had theirs.
Next we will be watering our fields with orange drink.

IMHO
this world is bsc
If any senior in an impacted sports wants another year, they should get it. What’s the harm, other than looking after hard working kids who got caught in the crossfire of a bizarre world health crisis and lost something pretty dear to them. The cost of allowing this would be negligible, and it would actually be a good thing for the players. No reason not to do it if one truly cares about student athletes.

If any senior in an impacted sports wants another year, they should get it. What’s the harm, other than looking after hard working kids who got caught in the crossfire of a bizarre world health crisis and lost something pretty dear to them. The cost of allowing this would be negligible, and it would actually be a good thing for the players. No reason not to do it if one truly cares about student athletes.
It’s not that easy. It impacts more then just seniors. Let’s say you have a stud senior starter. Incoming you have a 5* one and done. Both play the same position and cannot play another. Do you see the chemistry issues. Let’s say you have multiple situations.

it doesn’t have to be that 5* coming in. It could be the sophomore or junior thats been in the wing waiting.

So, do the Juniors get another year too? Dumb idea.

2 weeks ago to say cancel the tournament would have been a dumb idea. Actually, it would have been ludicrous. What is happening right now is far from normal if you haven't noticed. Sports just shut down. That has never happened.

It’s not that easy. It impacts more then just seniors. Let’s say you have a stud senior starter. Incoming you have a 5* one and done. Both play the same position and cannot play another. Do you see the chemistry issues. Let’s say you have multiple situations.

it doesn’t have to be that 5* coming in. It could be the sophomore or junior thats been in the wing waiting.
It’s a unique situation and people will need to adjust. Doesn’t mean it’s inappropriate or that it shouldn’t be done.

It’s a unique situation and people will need to adjust. Doesn’t mean it’s inappropriate or that it shouldn’t be done.
As when seniors are injured end of season or a little earlier. Since they’ve already played part or most of regular season. They are not granted another season. No matter how unique. it’s over as it should be.

As when seniors are injured end of season or a little earlier. Since they’ve already played part or most of regular season. They are not granted another season. No matter how unique. it’s over as it should be.
This isn’t one person, this is all of them. One player getting hurt is hardly unique but, in a number of those situations, a sixth year of eligibility is often granted. What we’re dealing with now is unique, and it requires an extraordinary solution for those impacted.

This isn’t one person, this is all of them. One player getting hurt is hardly unique but, in a number of those situations, a sixth year of eligibility is often granted. What we’re dealing with now is unique, and it requires an extraordinary solution for those impacted.
I could type until I’m blue in the fingers. We will agree to wait and see.

How would "those impacted" be determined? A large portion of winter sport participants had completed their season before Mar 12th. Do they get an extra year of eligibility? Or just the teams that may have had 1 or 2 games left? And since there was no Bracket announcement, how do they determine which teams may have had a game left?

I do believe that any player on a Spring sport team should be allowed an extra year of eligibility, but any Winter sport participant does not. That would be beyond extraordinary.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
How would "those impacted" be determined? A large portion of winter sport participants had completed their season before Mar 12th. Do they get an extra year of eligibility? Or just the teams that may have had 1 or 2 games left? And since there was no Bracket announcement, how do they determine which teams may have had a game left?

I do believe that any player on a Spring sport team should be allowed an extra year of eligibility, but any Winter sport participant does not. That would be beyond extraordinary.

Agree that an extra year for Spring sports makes sense....not for basketball.

What about wrestling, a winter sport? The individual championships there are really a lot more important than the team title. Same for Gymnastics.

If your season still had games left, you should get the opportunity for another year. If your sports season was done, no need for the extension. So, that’s primarily men’s and women’s basketball, men’s baseball, women’s softball (?) and men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s wrestling (doing this from memory, so may have excluded a sport). In certain sports, it will be hard for people to have the same role on their teams. If better players are at your spot, you may sit. This would be especially true in individual sports, but it would be possible anywhere. And I’m sure many would take a pass and move on. But for those who wanted to consider it, what’s the harm?

What plan is on the NCAA website?

If your season still had games left, you should get the opportunity for another year. If your sports season was done, no need for the extension. So, that’s primarily men’s and women’s basketball, men’s baseball, women’s softball (?) and men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s wrestling (doing this from memory, so may have excluded a sport). In certain sports, it will be hard for people to have the same role on their teams. If better players are at your spot, you may sit. This would be especially true in individual sports, but it would be possible anywhere. And I’m sure many would take a pass and move on. But for those who wanted to consider it, what’s the harm?

You state, "if your season still had games left, you should get the opportunity for another year.... that's primarily men's and women's basketball..."

So again, my point is there are a lot of men's and women's basketball teams whose season is complete. Nebraska's season IS over. Northwestern's season IS over. There is a larger portion of NCAA basketball teams who's season IS over. So where are you drawing that line? We giving eligibility to teams who still had a game left? Are we going to have some teams with 13 scholly players and others with 17ish? Alot of problems to consider just for the idea that some players may have lost out on 1 more game.

The NCAA tournament, or conference tournament for those who had not completed theirs, is not guaranteed to anyone. Yet you think players should get a complete year of eligibility based off the fact that they may have missed possibly 1 game. Do we in the future give Medical Redshirts to a player that plays all year, but gets injured in the last game of the season and has to sit out their teams Tournament?

Last edited:
You state, "if your season still had games left, you should get the opportunity for another year.... that's primarily men's and women's basketball..."

So again, my point is there are a lot of men's and women's basketball teams whose season is complete. Nebraska's season IS over. Northwestern's season IS over. There is a larger portion of NCAA basketball teams who's season IS over. So where are you drawing that line? We giving eligibility to teams who still had a game left? Are we going to have some teams with 13 scholly players and others with 17ish? Alot of problems to consider just for the idea that some players may have lost our on 1 more game.

The NCAA tournament, or conference tournament for those who had not completed theirs, is not guaranteed to anyone. Yet you think players should get a complete year of eligibility based off the fact that they may have missed possibly 1 game. Do we in the future give Medical Redshirts to a player that plays all year, but gets injured in the last game of the season and has to sit out their teams Tournament?
You say it’s “alot” of “problems” to deal with for some guys who may have only missed out on, say, one game (or less!), but you have to bear in mind that we’re not talking about Milton in his basement office having to work out a path forward all by himself. We’re talking about the NCAA and all the resources it has at hand to get this situation equitably resolved. It’s EXACTLY why we’re paying them the big bucks.

P.S. Point taken about Nebraska’s season.

EDIT. Added the post script, subtracted the profanity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT