ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors return

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Do I understand this correctly? Senior players on spring sports will have another year of eligibility?
Is basketball a fall sport, I assume? Even tho they lost their championship part?

Basketball is a winter sports. The extra year is only for spring sports.

So spring is lessor spectator sports? Baseball, softball, track.
Less of a big deal then?
What exactly is your point ? Winter sports for the most part completed their seasons. Many lost postseason tournament opportunities but not the opportunity to compete and complete the regular portion of their season.

Spring sport participants essentially barely got started (if they did at all). They have been denied the chance to compete even in the regular season.

I'm not one to praise the NCAA but I think they got it right in this case.

What exactly is your point ? Winter sports for the most part completed their seasons. Many lost postseason tournament opportunities but not the opportunity to compete and complete the regular portion of their season.

Spring sport participants essentially barely got started (if they did at all). They have been denied the chance to compete even in the regular season.

Sorry, no anger here. Just trying to understand. I guess point, if there is one, is just teaching

Had they given another year to basketball, the domino effect on recruiting and scholarships and underclassmen's playing time and on and on would have been a nightmare. There was no perfect solution. I'm good with what they did as well.

Reactions: kkott
Sorry, no anger here. Just trying to understand. I guess point, if there is one, is just teaching
I apologize if I misinterpreted. I thought you were upset that "more important" winter sports were not getting the same benefit as spring sports. It's all good.

I don’t think scholarships are guaranteed. They just are allowed another year of eligibility.

The basketball team had 2 or 3 games left play at best.
The baseball team had 50 games left to play.
Therefore no extra year for basketball.
Extra year for baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT