ADVERTISEMENT

Send the bill $$ to Warren

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
Quite an article on the front page about the gazillions of $$ that the various Big Ten schools stand to lose with the cancellation of fall sports. It also delves a little into the massive trickle down impact this will have on various sports and employees (a seperate article could be written on the impact it will have on the fans and cities these universities are in). Only time will tell but Kevin Warren has likely cemented his name in the annals of Big Ten history in a not so good way.

I'm guessing that those who chose to play fall football will come out just fine thus making The Big Ten look like idiots who buried themselves in a financial hole they will be digging out of for years to come.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Quite an article on the front page about the gazillions of $$ that the various Big Ten schools stand to lose with the cancellation of fall sports. It also delves a little into the massive trickle down impact this will have on various sports and employees (a seperate article could be written on the impact it will have on the fans and cities these universities are in). Only time will tell but Kevin Warren has likely cemented his name in the annals of Big Ten history in a not so good way.

I'm guessing that those who chose to play fall football will come out just fine thus making The Big Ten look like idiots who buried themselves in a financial hole they will be digging out of for years to come.

Warren will go any which way the wind blows. As soon as enough Big Ten parties revolt, we’ll be playing football again.

The worst part of it is that he didn’t even attempt to play. Calling it off without even trying to see if it would work will come back as a mark on his name. This was a group effort and the university Presidents will be glad to have Warren take the fall if he was merely a vote collector.

I predict that once the season really starts rolling and the SEC is basking in the limelight, Commish will cave to growing pressure. We’ll be starting games in mid October.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’ve got to ask? Wth does Warren actually do or lead. If the presidents make the call then why have a commissioner? If Warren had any intent on leading he would compile a way to possibly make this work and present it to the presidents. That’s all that he can do is present something that could work. If he was prepared and thorough in his vetting of health experts and other conference ideas such as sec and Acc he could have at least got the presidents to delay their vote and continue to discuss. At this point he has an opportunity to come out of this looking really good by making a stron* attempt to start a season or the opposite just sit there and remain silent and go down as a non leader.

So first Warren gets blasted when people thought he didn't heed anyone else's opinion when making the decision.

Now it comes out that there was a vote and he gets blasted for letting the University Presidents make the decision for him.

Even CEOs answer to a Board of Directors. I guess all CEOs are non-leaders.

Reactions: crossfire74
I’ve got to ask? Wth does Warren actually do or lead. If the presidents make the call then why have a commissioner? If Warren had any intent on leading he would compile a way to possibly make this work and present it to the presidents. That’s all that he can do is present something that could work. If he was prepared and thorough in his vetting of health experts and other conference ideas such as sec and Acc he could have at least got the presidents to delay their vote and continue to discuss. At this point he has an opportunity to come out of this looking really good by making a stron* attempt to start a season or the opposite just sit there and remain silent and go down as a non leader.

It's no different than any large organization with a chief and a board/committee. Warren, I'm sure, gets a good bit of freedom to set strategy and make day-to-day decisions, but that's all contingent on approval of the presidents. The extra important/big decisions are almost always recommended by the commissioner/president/chief to a board/committee for approval, or not. In this case, we don't know if Warren made the recommendation to the presidents who discussed and approved,if this was entirely the result of discussion by the president, if warren was tasked with strictly bringing information and experts to the board for consideration, or some combination of things.

I have no dog in the fight, but I do know that placing the responsibility of this decision completely on Warren would be a mistake if the Big Ten works like any other big organization or multi-partner association. If the reporting is correct, it does seem, at the very least, that all but 3 B1G presidents supported this decision. If you're mad, you've gotta be mad at everybody. If you're happy, you've gotta pat the backs of everybody. Singling out Warren is a misunderstanding of how things work.

Reactions: muubell
He's the ringleader of the ADs and represents them in upper level meetings. The Commissioner is more a representative that can voice opinions, concerns, desired directions, etc. But he's not the boss of anything. Delaney never was either, but what he had was the ability to gain trust with the school presidents and chancellors. Perhaps Warren will earn that as well, but he's not gotten it yet, and that really isn't his fault totally. In this current situation, the Presidents had their majority before they even called the meeting, so even if Warren would have been adamant, it was a stacked deck from the jump. The truest question is simply this, would Delaney have been able to convince the Presidents to play? I've seen opinions both ways and it's interesting to ponder because he was successful in the past with several things, but he never faced a pandemic, and neither did he face so many governors and city councils locking their states and cities down where Big Ten Football is played. Warren faced a mountain, and while I think he should have done a few things differently, I'm not convinced that even Delaney could have gotten them to play. As stated the majority called the meeting and won by a landslide. The reality was they shouldn't even have had the meeting as it was decided before it even started. The blame of this fiasco lies solely on the shoulders of the University Presidents, and mainly, the ones from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT