ADVERTISEMENT

Seems To Me Schools Have Given Up All Control,

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
in exchange for insuring any player compensation comes out of someone else's hands.

what stops a kid from signing a big deal with DraftKings, or some guy with $70,000 bet on a game right before that game? (said guy could be car dealer or any business, and say it's just an endorsement deal).

how can schools or the NCAA police contingency deals with players, contingent on them signing with a particular school?

how is this going to be any different than politics now is, where it becomes literally impossible to police bribery and corruption?

while it obviously saves the money coming out of their own pockets, seems like to stem the public pushback from college sports being fully monetized by the adults while strictly amateur for the players, the "powers that be" adults have gone the route that's flat impossible to ever police bribery and corruption on, to save any money players get from coming out of "the powers that be's" own pockets.

whatever can be done, will be done.

100% guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Something tells me that because of all this, student athletes GPAs are gonna go way down! Why even think about going to class when someone else is paying you! Even though schollys are giving you a free education! If an athlete is getting payed a certain amount, that should take scholly $$$ away from that player! NCAA needs to put rules in place to fix this! Or do away with athletic schollys and just have athletes represent the college without being a student or getting any type of education alltogether!

Something tells me that because of all this, student athletes GPAs are gonna go way down! Why even think about going to class when someone else is paying you! Even though schollys are giving you a free education! If an athlete is getting payed a certain amount, that should take scholly $$$ away from that player! NCAA needs to put rules in place to fix this! Or do away with athletic schollys and just have athletes represent the college without being a student or getting any type of education alltogether!

once the adults fully monetized their side of the equation, it was inevitable that college sports as amateur couldn't endure in such an inequitable scenario.

that said, in choosing to deflate the situation as they did, i can't see how they didn't give up all control to police anything.

and when you can't police anything anymore, what can happen will happen.

This could be just step one toward eliminating the “student” in student-athletes. Pretty soon, they could become just athletes representing a school with a corporate sponsorship.

I think there are a number of businesses that will be disappointed by jumping into this pool too fast and dancing with the wrong partner. There are only a small number of college athletes who are marketable on a national level, and a limited number on a Regional level. if you are a Car dealer in Bloomington and Bloomington and 50 Mile Radius is your target market, it probably doesn't matter who you choose to endorse as long as the individual can speak intelligently and comes across well.

The other side of the equation is the potential for negative publicity. iU Football player John Doe was arrested Saturday night and charged with (DUI, Assault and Battery, Domestic Battery- take your pick). He has been suspended from the Football Team indefinitely pending investigation. He was endorsed and compensated by Acme Products.

Or from another perspective, Jaylin Williams has been arrested twice since the first of the year. Peyton Henderschott had his off field problems in 2020. Would you choose to tie yourself to either of these 2 knowing the history and potential for bad publicity.

This is sarcasm, right?

So, what would be your advice to an athlete who is planning on going to grad school, law school, med school?

You realize that athletes have to have a certain GPA to be qualified, correct?

I am sure there will be growing pains with NIL but it is time players got to earn some money off their name as others have been for years. Companies pay a price for getting things wrong so it will balance out in just a year or two. If some company makes money from the deal they will keep pursuing players but many companies won't see increases of sales and could decide it isn't worth the expense and quit paying for association with the players. I worry more about deep pocket boosters that are willing to throw money at players to have a good team at their alma mater.

Reactions: baileyiu and YOTHN
I have often wondered the two extremes.
1. Athletes make no pretense of actually being students. They are paid via a varietyof sources - stipend from the school, endorsements….and have no classroom responsibility nor expected to.
2. The NBA starts their own minor league (ala baseball) and the players representing the schools are actually students who went out for the team. First you are accepted into the university and then you try out for the team.

Reactions: Chriselli
There is one thing I'm wondering about. This will only happen to the premiere athletes with many opportunities for endorsements. Will some of them reach a point where reviewing deals and keeping their promises becomes so overwhelming that it will detract the time they can devote to football and studies?

I posted something above about how businesses need to be careful about choosing Athletes for these deals. On the other hand the Athletes better research and understand the business and product they are endorsing. There are frauds, hucksters, and flim flams out there Who would love to have the endorsement of an Athlete for their product or service. You don't want to be associated with a questionable business or product, or a person who may end up facing fraud or other criminal charges.

There is one thing I'm wondering about. This will only happen to the premiere athletes with many opportunities for endorsements. Will some of them reach a point where reviewing deals and keeping their promises becomes so overwhelming that it will detract the time they can devote to football and studies?

I posted something above about how businesses need to be careful about choosing Athletes for these deals. On the other hand the Athletes better research and understand the business and product they are endorsing. There are frauds, hucksters, and flim flams out there Who would love to have the endorsement of an Athlete for their product or service. You don't want to be associated with a questionable business or product, or a person who may end up facing fraud or other criminal charges.

"There is one thing I'm wondering about. This will only happen to the premiere athletes with many opportunities for endorsements".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

don't bet on that.

and can the players not just hire someone to manage/market them, who can much more effectively do so better than the kid himself, just as pros all do.

will every kid eventually not have someone represent them for a percentage, even if it's a relative or a friend?

Am I the only one that thinks boosters will be giving some players deals just to get them to come play whether it makes financial sense or not? I mean they were doing it before when they got absolutely nothing in return.
And watch those boosters get preferential seating and parking. They will be special BBQs to meet the coaches. Receptions with key University administrators. Thank you gifts. What could go wrong?

According to supreme court, the athletes are not getting paid.. so might as well take away the free education and other benefits since that apparently has no value

Am I the only one that thinks boosters will be giving some players deals just to get them to come play whether it makes financial sense or not? I mean they were doing it before when they got absolutely nothing in return.
Remember the old days of Oklahoma Football where several Car Dealerships were charged with Phantom Summer Employment of Players and payment to them with no evidence of Work. We have come full circle. Before it was We both know what and who we are, and Here is a check not to work, (Wink, Wink, Nudge Nudge). Now it is nobody really cares Who and What We are morally. here is a contract and a check. Let them figure out what the real value of your services is.

I have heard for the last few years from players and guys like Jay Bilas that players don’t have free time like normal students to work part time jobs and make extra money. Their training, study tables, practices, classes, and therapy left no time for them to make extra money.

Now I can hire Michael Penix for $500 an hour?

Not upset with players making money, they should, but it seems like not many were willing/had time to flip burgers at McDonalds but they will find plenty of spare time to sell their NIL.

The price is finally right.

I have heard for the last few years from players and guys like Jay Bilas that players don’t have free time like normal students to work part time jobs and make extra money. Their training, study tables, practices, classes, and therapy left no time for them to make extra money.

Now I can hire Michael Penix for $500 an hour?

Not upset with players making money, they should, but it seems like not many were willing/had time to flip burgers at McDonalds but they will find plenty of spare time to sell their NIL.

The price is finally right.
Scholarship players are not allowed to work.

Scholarship players are not allowed to work.
This is something most people didn't know. They have been restricted from working for a long time and the reason athletes worked under different names as they need money to survive.

Reactions: 76-1
This is something most people didn't know. They have been restricted from working for a long time and the reason athletes worked under different names as they need money to survive.
When I was in college in the 1970s I had the best job in the world. At least best campus job. We had an on-campus pub and there was virtually nothing within walking distance from campus. The drinking age was 18. The football players we’re not allowed to be doormen because they were not allowed to have jobs. So that left the doorman jobs to members of the wrestling team. 40 years later we doormen our still friends. Talk about fringe benefits. The Trump family had nothing on us!

• Haha
Reactions: ESalum86
When I was in college in the 1970s I had the best job in the world. At least best campus job. We had an on-campus pub and there was virtually nothing within walking distance from campus. The drinking age was 18. The football players we’re not allowed to be doormen because they were not allowed to have jobs. So that left the doorman jobs to members of the wrestling team. 40 years later we doormen our still friends. Talk about fringe benefits. The Trump family had nothing on us!
I worked as a doorman at one of the popular pubs near campus and I had wrestlers working with me. They became good friends. They had to use false names to get paid. The rules of the NCAA were/are so ridiculous that athletes couldn't go out for pizza or some other dinner unless they worked but rules said scholarship athletes couldn't work. I know the rules were changed so athletes could get a stipend to help with expenses.

Reactions: 76-1
I love nothing more than to see the NCAA squirm, though I also am concerned that we’re seeing the end of college sports as we knew them. Big time schools’ fans are already salivating over their prospects under the new regime. I can’t imagine the amount of lucre that’ll be flowing in and around SEC football, for example.

Anybody else get the impression that the NCAA was acting from a position of weakness, rather than strength, in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling? Kind of an inferiority complex type thing: “We’re still calling the shots here!”

I wonder what the future holds for that fine organization in Indianapolis …

P.S. “Student-athlete.”

EDIT. Interrogative sentence ends with a question mark, not period.

Last edited:
I agree the law of "Unintended Consequences" would be very unnerving to me as a FB coach in P5. Examples that come to mind:

-Some stud player(s) - i.e. only a handful - somehow get into six figure range income but others on team are only in hundreds or low thousands. "Do they think they did this all on their own?"

-What if some of the perceived "more safe, polished guys" start getting more deals even over higher performing athletes who are maybe perceived as "not the best/ideal brand ambassadors?" i.e. What if a back up TE, who is seen as more clean cut, a 4.0 pre-med student, well spoken, starts getting a few gigs when a starting DB who isn't as great a speaker or student, doesn't?

-What if many of starters are doing jobs that are getting them paid well, but look like crap in next big game, and accusations of "Tired" or "Didn't look prepared but had time to go shoot a commercial or make an appearance" then start happening.

I think there would have been a MUCH simpler way for NCAA to have potentially threaded the needle - and could have kept it mostly at P5 schools to start and expand from there... For a school like Indiana, or any P5 school, that has say a large sports apparel contract, that is often going to the HC only (not sure schools' cut). Make that 25 - 50% for the HC/Staff/School AD Dept and other 50% split among the players.

These athletes do NOT have time to have a side job and I always agreed they should have some walk around money for a pizza on weekend, or spending money to go shopping, get food, go to a movie, etc. But I DO believe they are getting a huge value for free school (ask any parent looking at current cost of college!) But the shoe and TV contracts should seemingly be able to provide good walk around money - $500 - $2,500 a month - or whatever is fair - to give players that would allow them to be compensated but not become looking like Lebron did in high school when he was driving a new Hummer with his working-class single mom and a HS senior. (I only mean at the time, it looked so much like "who is paying them now?" and when some P5 athletes start maybe making 6 or 7 figures, it's going to look and smell bad from a perception standpoint.

And watch those boosters get preferential seating and parking. They will be special BBQs to meet the coaches. Receptions with key University administrators. Thank you gifts. What could go wrong?
I’m betting boosters with loose cash already have those those amenities.

And still further behind …

do i hear $7,000, $7,000?

auctioneer.jpg

Reactions: Radio Zero
Most schools are a joke and have proven themselves incapable of controlling anything.

"There is one thing I'm wondering about. This will only happen to the premiere athletes with many opportunities for endorsements".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

don't bet on that.

and can the players not just hire someone to manage/market them, who can much more effectively do so better than the kid himself, just as pros all do.

will every kid eventually not have someone represent them for a percentage, even if it's a relative or a friend?
Hiring someone who likely has more experience and time to devote to research sounds like a good idea for the athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT