ADVERTISEMENT

Seems as if a consensus is slowly forming on IU's targets..

JJ IN FLA

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
Donovan......Bennett.......Sean Miller......followed by Alford, Archie, Holtman. I'd be happy if the pick comes from this group.

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

That would be my order of preference.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Donovan......Bennett.......Sean Miller......followed by Alford, Archie, Holtman. I'd be happy if the pick comes from this group.

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

I do not see any chance of Sean Miller coming here. I would say we end up with Archie or Chris H if I had to bet money on it.

I have a hard time believing Alford will be here. Nor would most put him above Archie on their list of prospective candidates.

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

I'd just switch Archie and Chris but I love the list.

I do not see any chance of Sean Miller coming here. I would say we end up with Archie or Chris H if I had to bet money on it.
The only way your going to get Sean Miller or Tony Bennett is by offering them a million or more than their already making and make them say no. I think IU knows that Archie, Marshall & Alford will take the job.

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

Donovan, Marshall, or either Miller would be great hires.
Tony B would also be considered very good.
I'd be happy with Holtman or Dana Altman if, and only if, I knew the five names previously mentioned all said no.

Alford is a hard pass.

Of course all if this happens after Brad tells IU no.

Newbie here...been lurking for a long, long time. The prospects of a new coach has drawn me from the shadows...

The last two hires have both been major surprises. With most of the names being thrown out for consideration, it seems to me that one name, with IU ties, has been left off that could be the next surprise...Mike Woodson.

Not saying he is my first, second, or even third choice...but given the track record for predicting the next IU coach, I think he qualifies there.

Reactions: Bear81
Woodson has never coached college game before, and he wasn't too good of a coach in the pros... I'm gonna say, no way.

Love Woodson, but I think he would go nuts trying to coach the current college game. When at the Hawks he did a good job of getting a core group of guys to play reasonably well, but relied waaaaay too much on Joe Johnson for offense, so much so that the Hawks announcers called the offense the "Iso Joe" offense because it consisted of giving Joe Johnson the ball and letting him create. Besides that he didn't do much to teach the game to rookies like Jeff Teague, who languished on the bench behind veteran guys like Tyronn Lue. There was nothing wrong with Lue . . . it's just that I can't see Woody willing to put up with what it takes to take a group of 18 year old kids and get them incorporated into a system . . . and that in turn would hurt recruiting.

Donovan, Marshall, or either Miller would be great hires.
Tony B would also be considered very good.
I'd be happy with Holtman or Dana Altman if, and only if, I knew the five names previously mentioned all said no.

Alford is a hard pass.

Of course all if this happens after Brad tells IU no.
I think you are right - it will be one of those 4. And, I think that is the order IU admin goes after it. My money is on Marshall.

I think you are right - it will be one of those 4. And, I think that is the order IU admin goes after it. My money is on Marshall.
I think it will be Archie Miller or Holtmann. I don’t think we have a prayer with Donovan or Tony Bennett but that is my opinion.

sort of an acid test.....If you feel good about getting Marshall after Donovan said no....

Having said that....Man oh, Man.....Billy D out there orchestrating a group of players in IU uniforms....wow...what a visual.

Man oh, Man.....Billy D out there orchestrating a group of players in IU uniforms....wow...what a visual.

3cb29f3c9c9a2881e9486251133f91f04e23b9ffe1f90e953b87455c1fefc076.jpg

IU still has a coach, and i won't get involved with whether to keep him or not for now.

that said, no idea why all the sudden love for Donovan.

the guy's a solder of fortune, who will always be looking around the next corner.

yes, he had that great class at Fla, but that doesn't make him the best thing since sliced bread to me.

i would much rather have Alford or Wittman, (maybe even Wittman as my #!), who we much more likely wouldn't have to renegotiate with every other yr, or go through all the every few yrs rumor mill with.. (and Wittman has a better record than Donovan right now).

with Donovan, we are going to have to always be going through that imo. (those who ignore history thing).

and do you really want to ever have to worry about even maybe losing your coach to UK someday??

some guys are great salesmen/recruiters, some good with kids, some good with Xs and Os, some have celebrity as a stong asset, but i don't buy that you can always rank how some guy will do in such a such a program.

i think a coach is sometimes more like an ingredient in a recipe, and matching the right guy with the right school and culture is important. (think Butler and Wisconsin for instance).

i think "right match", rather than hot name of the week, is a big must at IU if we make a change. (i've seen Crean, Matta, and others, as the hot name here in the past already).

the fact of all this sudden love for Donovan on the board scares me, as i wonder if maybe IU's social media brigade could be behind it.

give me Wittman or Alford if we make a change.

Reactions: TheRehab5

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

You mean the targets suggested by the posters on this board, I assume, and not anything expressed by any IU official department.

IU still has a coach, and i won't get involved with whether to keep him or not for now.

the guy's a solder of fortune, who will always be looking around the next corner.

yes, he had that great class at Fla, but that doesn't make him the best thing since sliced bread to me.

i would much rather have Alford or Wittman, (maybe even Wittman as my #!), who we much more likely wouldn't have to renegotiate with every other yr, or go through all the every few yrs rumor mill with.. (and Wittman has a better record than Donovan right now).

with Donovan, we are going to have to always be going through that imo. (those who ignore history thing).

and do you really want to ever have to worry about even maybe losing your coach to UK someday??

some guys are great salesmen/recruiters, some good with kids, some good with Xs and Os, some have celebrity as a stong asset, but i don't buy that you can always rank how some guy will do in such a such a program.

i think a coach is sometimes more like an ingredient in a recipe, and matching the right guy with the right school and culture is important. (think Butler and Wisconsin for instance).

i think "right match", rather than hot name of the week, is a big must at IU if we make a change. (i've seen Crean, Matta, and others, as the hot name here in the past already).

the fact of all this sudden love for Donovan on the board scares me, as i wonder if maybe IU's social media brigade could be behind it.

Donovan spent 2 years at Marshall before going to Florida. He then spent 19 seasons at Florida before heading to OKC.
He contemplated going to the NBA one other time before deciding that staying at UF was better than coaching a bad team in the NBA (Orlando)
It took getting to coach Westbrook and KD to pull him away from UF.
I'm not sure how that makes him a soldier of fortune.

To say he had that great class at UF is underselling him and an ignorant statement.
He coached the team in 00 that lost in the NCAA title game to MSU. He also made the final four in 14. He also took UF to the Elite 8 in 11, 12, and 13.

Say what you will about Donovan, but he is hardly a "soldier of fortune". He stayed at Florida, a football school, for much longer than anyone expected. He could have easily bolted for a better job such as Kentucky or the Magic at any time but he didn't. I think that if he took the job he would be here for the rest of his career, and that the only thing keeping him from it might be a chance to take over at UNC or Duke.

What? Donovan spent 19 years at Florida and then took a pro job. Soldier of fortune???

That great class? He won consistently. He didn't just have one good year. Wittman has a better record than BD? What are you taking about? And what does UK have to do with anything? He went to Providence under Pitino.

Alford? Ugh no.

Donovan spent 2 years at Marshall before going to Florida. He then spent 19 seasons at Florida before heading to OKC.
He contemplated going to the NBA one other time before deciding that staying at UF was better than coaching a bad team in the NBA (Orlando)
It took getting to coach Westbrook and KD to pull him away from UF.
I'm not sure how that makes him a soldier of fortune.

To say he had that great class at UF is underselling him and an ignorant statement.
He coached the team in 00 that lost in the NCAA title game to MSU. He also made the final four in 14. He also took UF to the Elite 8 in 11, 12, and 13.

and yet he still always had an eye looking elsewhere, and UK was/is always going to lurk in the background.

that first NBA thing was beyond bizarre, and a sign he's always renegotiating or looking around the corner, but obviously besides UK, you'd always be worrying about good NBA gigs as well, and having those dangled in front of your face, even when he didn't leave.

we're not his dream job, he likes the NBA, plus the UK thing, and imo that would always breed a wandering eye.

plus, no guarantee he'd do as well as Wittman or Alford anyway.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
and yet he still always had an eye looking elsewhere, and UK was/is always going to lurk in the background.

that first NBA thing was beyond bizarre, and a sign he's always renegotiating or looking around the corner, but obviously besides UK, you'd always be worrying about good NBA gigs as well, and having those dangled in front of your face, even when he didn't leave.

we're not his dream job, he likes the NBA, plus the UK thing, and imo that would always breed a wandering eye.

Wittman. Lol. The guy has never recruited on his life. Most kids would be like Randy who? This post is as silly as those bringing up Dane Fife. Just because you played at IU should not automatically qualify you as coach.

Reactions: quad runner
Wittman. Lol. The guy has never recruited on his life. Most kids would be like Randy who? This post is as silly as those bringing up Dane Fife. Just because you played at IU should not automatically qualify you as coach.

the guy has an NCAA ring with IU on it, went to Ben Davis, was an AA, B10 POY, and 1st round pick, had a very solid NBA career as a player, is currently an NBA head coach, has played for and coached for a who's who of bball knowledge, and probably is close with most GMs in the league.

i don't think he'll have trouble getting listened to by Indiana high school kids and coaches, or by any kid who has NBA dreams.

playing for IU shouldn't disqualify anyone either, and it's a plus in my book.

Mike Brey fits the bill on a number of fronts. He doesn't make a ton of money, his teams do more with less talent, got his start under coach K which might make some RMK disciples happy, and has flown completely under the radar at a "football" school. If he ever wants to have a chance to get top billing and have a chance to go to a final four and win it all, IU would be a very logical destination. He is a bit older (57), but that is only a couple years older then Marshall and is actually younger then Altman. Another good choice who would seem to be gettable would be Scot Drew.

I have a hard time believing Alford will be here. Nor would most put him above Archie on their list of prospective candidates.

I think alot of it might depend on how genuinely* well or not they've been treating him over there at Ucla. If you were Alford and had any indication you still wasn't being trusted as somebody who could continue to coach this (UCLA) team for quite sometime/ wasn't being paid respect/etc etc, ...AND after having one,if not the best team in the nation at the moment, could you not see yourself in b-town in a hot minute, and quite the opposite if the extreme vice versa...

Like Alford or not, hes kinda in the same spot Crean is in, and whether it's right or wrong for him to hold any animosity towards the fans,ad,or anyone else that may question him. Doesn't change the possibility of it playing a significant role in whether he could be persuaded to leave or not

Reactions: moneyadvisor

Billy D.
Sean M.
Tony B.
Steve A.
Archie M.
Chris H.

The only thing that seems is that message board people keep talking about this but the current coach has not been fired and has not resigned and the message board people are not in charge of hiring. So, it's kind of hard to have a consensus since we are not in charge of the potential move.

"soldier of fortune" seems to fit Alford better than it does Donovan....how many uniforms has that guy worn already?

Reactions: SBendguy
"soldier of fortune" seems to fit Alford better than it does Donovan....how many uniforms has that guy worn already?

True, but if any coach has ever had a known destination job... it is Alford. You move because you are not where you want to be. For most coaches UCLA could become THE job, but I think IU will always be that place for Alford. He'll never get there, but he'll always be heading there... kinda like Sisyphus:)

Mike Brey fits the bill on a number of fronts. He doesn't make a ton of money, his teams do more with less talent, got his start under coach K which might make some RMK disciples happy, and has flown completely under the radar at a "football" school. If he ever wants to have a chance to get top billing and have a chance to go to a final four and win it all, IU would be a very logical destination. He is a bit older (57), but that is only a couple years older then Marshall and is actually younger then Altman. Another good choice who would seem to be gettable would be Scot Drew.
Scott Drew is a sleezebag.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps

No guarantee he'd do as well as Wittman or Alford? He's won 2 NCAA titles.

And what UK thing? You understand that he played for Pitino at Providence, right? He didn't play at Kentucky. He was an assistant there under RP, but I have no idea why you're making this into such a huge thing. If we're worried about losing a coach to UK because it's a big job, then I guess we just won't ever have a coach.

I think alot of it might depend on how genuinely* well or not they've been treating him over there at Ucla. If you were Alford and had any indication you still wasn't being trusted as somebody who could continue to coach this (UCLA) team for quite sometime/ wasn't being paid respect/etc etc, ...AND after having one,if not the best team in the nation at the moment, could you not see yourself in b-town in a hot minute, and quite the opposite if the extreme vice versa...

Like Alford or not, hes kinda in the same spot Crean is in, and whether it's right or wrong for him to hold any animosity towards the fans,ad,or anyone else that may question him. Doesn't change the possibility of it playing a significant role in whether he could be persuaded to leave or not

Oh wait, no I meant we in no way WANT Alford. I am not even considering whether or not we can get him. I hope on everything holy it never even gets to that phase.

True, but if any coach has ever had a known destination job... it is Alford. You move because you are not where you want to be. For most coaches UCLA could become THE job, but I think IU will always be that place for Alford. He'll never get there, but he'll always be heading there... kinda like Sisyphus:)

Link???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT