ADVERTISEMENT

Second game this season...

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
That I couldn’t finish watching through the end. And that is two in a row. This team has lost itself and CAM is going to have to make some adjustments to get them back. There is nothing this team can hang their hat on right now. Not defense. Certainly not offense. Not rebounding.

There are two really good players on this team right now, and it just seems nobody else knows their role...

That I couldn’t finish watching through the end. And that is two in a row. This team has lost itself and CAM is going to have to make some adjustments to get them back. There is nothing this team can hang their hat on right now. Not defense. Certainly not offense. Not rebounding.

There are two really good players on this team right now, and it just seems nobody else knows their role...
Coach seems lost as well!

Question our coaching?

giphy.gif

Adjustments? During time out, "hang tough" instruction, not
we need to set screens, we need to block out, just
hang tough. lol

Outside of Romeo and Juan, this team is bad. Guys like McRoberts, Fitzner and Green should never see the floor. I watched Smith tonight as he through the ball right to an NE player, the player took off down the floor full speed and Justin just jogged back.

They really didn't seem very prepared tonight, I like CAM but these slow starts reflect on him. Look for an embarrassing loss to Purdue on Saturday, this team looks done.

Reactions: BigMobe and iulb
This is the first truly disappointing loss for me in the Archie era.

Even with injuries, no excuse to play as lackluster as we did tonight. None. Make a bad play, hang your head. No intensity - on offense or defense. Nebraska ran what they wanted to at will against us and we offered little resistance. On offense our spacing was horrible, our movement away from the ball almost non-existent. We didn't show urgency at all.

I've been his biggest defender, but this one is on Archie. He's gets paid big bucks to have these guys ready. And they weren't. Inexcusable.

Adjustments? During time out, "hang tough" instruction, not
we need to set screens, we need to block out, just
hang tough. lol
When your team is executing as poorly as we did tonight, there is not much to say. We can’t even use the bench as a motivator right now because there is nobody left. We need better players. There is only so much you can coach up a team.

Even with injuries, no excuse to play as lackluster as we did tonight. None. Make a bad play, hang your head. No intensity - on offense or defense. Nebraska ran what they wanted to at will against us and we offered little resistance. On offense our spacing was horrible, our movement away from the ball almost non-existent. We didn't show urgency at all.

I've been his biggest defender, but this one is on Archie. He's gets paid big bucks to have these guys ready. And they weren't. Inexcusable.

We have one of the top coaching staffs in America. It’s all on the players. We just need about ten 5-stars in order for them to compete but we’ll be fine in about 2022. Relax.

We have one of the top coaching staffs in America. It’s all on the players. We just need about ten 5-stars in order for them to compete but we’ll be fine in about 2022. Relax.
Do we need more talent? Without question.

But Smith hanging his head and not hustling? If you're Arch, you gotta make him an assistant coach until he wants to play . . .

Do we need more talent? Without question.

But Smith hanging his head and not hustling? If you're Arch, you gotta make him an assistant coach until he wants to play . . .
Hard to sit players when there is nobody to bring in. If you are good with a 30 point loss, then fine. Bring in Fitzner and bench Smith when that happens.

Reactions: coachv jr
Oh yeah. I think I blocked that season out.

I guess this isn’t quite as spectacular of a collapse as that. But it’s a collapse nonetheless.
This team is playing without confidence. Worse, they hang their collective heads when things go wrong.

We need leadership and accountability. From somewhere.

Reactions: IUgradman
That was one of the most disgraceful and embarrassing performances I can remember in a long time as an IU fan. Archie is our coach for the foreseeable future and I will back him but I still think it was a mistake not hiring Marshall or Bennett. Archie was not even in my top 4 candidate during the search but I will try to stay positive and back this team.

Look for an embarrassing loss to Purdue on Saturday said:
I doubt that. Purdue is the perfect game for this IU team right now. Wish IU would of won by 30. IU will be focused on one common goal, to beat PU. They won't be worrying about screwing up, or the mistakes that have plagued them. Of course, it could go the other way and they play with zero confidence, but I highly doubt that's whats going to happen.

Hard to sit players when there is nobody to bring in. If you are good with a 30 point loss, then fine. Bring in Fitzner and bench Smith when that happens.

I'll have to go back and re-watch this again, but the effort I saw tonight from Smith was EASILY the worst he's provided all season.

If I'm gonna lose, I'm going down with guys that want to compete. We had WAY too many tonight that didn't fit that description.

I'll have to go back and re-watch this again, but the effort I saw tonight from Smith was EASILY the worst he's provided all season.

If I'm gonna lose, I'm going down with guys that want to compete. We had WAY too many tonight that didn't fit that description.
Like the two blocked shots that wiped out clear scores when Smith recovered for his teammates? I know the play you are talking about where Smith finished his effort at the 3pt line. And Cleary he could have done better, but this wasn’t a situation where Smith is to blame for this loss in any way. You are barking up the wrong tree dude.

When your team is executing as poorly as we did tonight, there is not much to say. We can’t even use the bench as a motivator right now because there is nobody left. We need better players. There is only so much you can coach up a team.
This belongs in the Official Archie Apologists thread

Like the two blocked shots that wiped out clear scores when Smith recovered for his teammates? I know the play you are talking about where Smith finished his effort at the 3pt line. And Cleary he could have done better, but this wasn’t a situation where Smith is to blame for this loss in any way. You are barking up the wrong tree dude.
I missed parts of the game, which is why I said I'd have to re-watch all of it (I usually do just to break down things, anyways).

The portions I saw, Justin took questionable shots (those 1st two attempts led to a horrific start by us) and his reaction to a bad play on offense was jogging back on D (which, admittedly, a LOT of guys were guilty of tonight). He's got to be a high energy guy, and he wasn't close to that tonight. Two blocked shots can't make up for the other numerous possessions he DIDN'T hustle.

I missed parts of the game, which is why I said I'd have to re-watch all of it (I usually do just to break down things, anyways).

The portions I saw, Justin took questionable shots (those 1st two attempts led to a horrific start by us) and his reaction to a bad play on offense was jogging back on D (which, admittedly, a LOT of guys were guilty of tonight). He's got to be a high energy guy, and he wasn't close to that tonight. Two blocked shots can't make up for the other numerous possessions he DIDN'T hustle.
That is where Smith just clearly doesn’t know his role. I find it very hard to believe that CAM wanted him to take those two shots, and I think Smith realized there was a reason they sagged off him. Overall, he played a decent game. He clearly could have been better, but there isn’t a player you couldn’t say that about tonight. Watch it again, and then you can speak based on your opinion of the whole game. I didn’t watch the last 4 mins, and I never will.

That is where Smith just clearly doesn’t know his role. I find it very hard to believe that CAM wanted him to take those two shots, and I think Smith realized there was a reason they sagged off him. Overall, he played a decent game. He clearly could have been better, but there isn’t a player you couldn’t say that about tonight. Watch it again, and then you can speak based on your opinion of the whole game. I didn’t watch the last 4 mins, and I never will.

Those last 4 minutes we had a chance to try to get back in the game - maybe not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. Smith played with no passion, no intensity - and he might be the most athletic guy we got.

As for those 1st two shots - very disappointed in Archie on those. No excuse not to get off to a better start and have everyone on the same page on how we're going to look to attack Nebraska. Guys looked lost - which is inexcusable. And is on the coaching staff.

Reasonable. But they are a pretty good (undersized) defensive team that played poorly defensively. Offensively, they were already bad and now they look like a bad NBA team just playing through their 2 stars. There was never going to be easy looks with what they showed tonight. Miller needs to grow after this. He was not ready in a must win game at home.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Those last 4 minutes we had a chance to try to get back in the game - maybe not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. Smith played with no passion, no intensity - and he might be the most athletic guy we got.

As for those 1st two shots - very disappointed in Archie on those. No excuse not to get off to a better start and have everyone on the same page on how we're going to look to attack Nebraska. Guys looked lost - which is inexcusable. And is on the coaching staff.
That’s what Smith is. He’s an athlete that just doesn’t have the BB skills and IQ to be a really good player. If we had a strong team, and he had a clearly defined role, he could be really good for us. But we don’t, and he isn’t. But he is one of the better defensive players we have right now. Unfortunately he is a huge liability on offense right now.

This belongs in the Official Archie Apologists thread
Right now just about everything you post should be in a thread titled “Total dipshit who would bury any organization should they have any actual decision making authority thread”

Hard not to be disappointed in this game. This loss can't be put on the shoulders of one or two players, definently a team loss, including coaching. Problem with sitting one of the starters is who do you replace them with unless you're ready to accept a blow out loss. Nonetheless, as a former coach I would rather have my butt handed to me playing players that will give you 110% than ones that take plays off or hang their heads when things go wrong

I still feel CAM is a good hire, maybe not the best that was available at the time, but nevertheless a good hire. He didn't inherit much & injuries have taken it's toll. I want to see what he can do when he gets a team that consists entirely of players he has recruited. Before then I think it's too early to make a judgement to the contrary. As mentioned in other threads,Michigan didn't look like much the first 2-3 years Beilen was there. Now they're one of the top teams in the country.

Reactions: coachv jr

Outside of last year's Fort Wayne loss I agree

don’t think I can remember a team that took this many steps backwards during a season.
Hmmm.... Well look no further back then lasy year when we beat Kansas and then literally regressed every game there after
We seem to have good athletes but only a couple of good basketball players.

100%
Im guessing most the piss-moaning beer bellied posters on this board could outplay players like McRob or Smith at a game of basketball ...& I dont even wanna think about comparing myself.
This whole recruiting highly athletic > highy non basketball ability players in college ball has become too much

Last edited:
That’s what Smith is. He’s an athlete that just doesn’t have the BB skills and IQ to be a really good player. If we had a strong team, and he had a clearly defined role, he could be really good for us. But we don’t, and he isn’t. But he is one of the better defensive players we have right now. Unfortunately he is a huge liability on offense right now.

Our offense was really ugly tonight. We relied too much on Romeo and/or Juwan going 1-on-1. Against a good team defense like Nebraska runs, that just won't get it. IMO we need better spacing, crisper passes and better movement / cuts away from the basketball. We're way too EASY to guard.

Our offense was really ugly tonight. We relied too much on Romeo and/or Juwan going 1-on-1. Against a good team defense like Nebraska runs, that just won't get it. IMO we need better spacing, crisper passes and better movement / cuts away from the basketball. We're way too EASY to guard.
Totally agree with you here! Our spacing has been shit much of the year. If I see another player cheating down when Morgan has the ball in the post, I might jump through the screen and choke them out. The biggest problem is, we can space all day long, but without the shooters to make them pay, it’s a moot point. Of course, I can watch a game where we take smart shots and miss them any day as opposed to a game where we take stupid shots and lack spacing for smart passes.

Our movement without the ball also sucks, so there’s that too...

Totally agree with you here! Our spacing has been shit much of the year. If I see another player cheating down when Morgan has the ball in the post, I might jump through the screen and choke them out. The biggest problem is, we can space all day long, but without the shooters to make them pay, it’s a moot point. Of course, I can watch a game where we take smart shots and miss them any day as opposed to a game where we take stupid shots and lack spacing for smart passes.

Our movement without the ball also sucks, so there’s that too...
You gotta exploit what the defense give you. We don't.

Nebby plays a solid 1-3-1. We could've ran a quick hitter to the ball-side corner with Romeo or Juwan and back-screened a guy cutting from the opposite side of the lane for a layup. Timing and execution are key - and to execute properly you need to be playing with energy and purpose. We rarely showed any of that tonight.

Your asking too much.
I just want us to play with intensity.
Play 40 min as a team where everyone actually wants to win.
Thats all I ask for at this point.
Archie if your reading this can you pull this sell off. Just once.
Ive asked this since the Crean days.
Im tired of asking for this* shit

Your asking too much.
I just want us to play with intensity.
Play 40 min as a team where everyone actually wants to win.
Thats all I ask for at this point.
Archie if your reading this can you pull this sell off. Just once.
Ive asked this since the Crean days.
Im tired of asking for this* shit
Playing with intensity is important.
So is playing with direction.
Without both, it's gonna be hard to be successful. Play hard, but play SMART. That's how good teams win.

ADVERTISEMENT