ADVERTISEMENT

SEC meets Monday

I think these leagues are just delaying the inevitable,this thing is not going away and it’s only gonna get worse when the weather turns cooler.
Sadly,I think we will not see any football or basketball this year.
Just my opinion but it’s not looking good.

I think these leagues are just delaying the inevitable,this thing is not going away and it’s only gonna get worse when the weather turns cooler.
That is my worry as well. Unless we just say, “let’s play anyway”, play without fans, Or something with the virus changes.

Because it will effect SEC fans, their economics, sanity, and you want all of us to enjoy sports.
I want to enjoy sports. I don’t especially want Purdue or Notre Dame fans to enjoy sports and SEC fans are not my concern. I do want people to be safe so I admit to hoping the SEC doesn’t do something that turns out to be foolish. It’s hard to predict how an action they might take will affect economics.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I want to enjoy sports. I don’t especially want Purdue or Notre Dame fans to enjoy sports and SEC fans are not my concern. I do want people to be safe so I admit to hoping the SEC doesn’t do something that turns out to be foolish. It’s hard to predict how an action they might take will affect economics.
I have no love for the SEC either, but if they announce something drastic like a cancellation of the season or a move to spring it will be of major importance. Let's face it, the SEC drives college football. Any major decision that conference makes will have a huge impact on what everybody else does, including the B1G.

Smaller schools who get massive money to take ass whippings at power 5 schools may not survive without Power 5 $$. Always thought it was brutal for the kids at the smaller schools to destroy their bodies in over matched games just to make their U some $$.
Would not want my kids in that scenario.
Go Hoosiers!

Who here cares what they do?
As an IU football fan, you should very much care what the SEC does, because what they do, will probably be what the rest of the conferences decide to do. If all other conferences stay with a full season, then it'll still take 6 wins to make the post season, and IU football likely won't get to do that and that'll be a major step backwards to this program (like it or not).

If everyone goes to conference only, I was told the bowls will be selected by seeding in conference play and not the required 6 wins to get in.

Smaller schools who get massive money to take ass whippings at power 5 schools may not survive without Power 5 $$. Always thought it was brutal for the kids at the smaller schools to destroy their bodies in over matched games just to make their U some $$.
Go Hoosiers!
That's all true. OTOH, those ass whippings and the big paydays fund a lot of opportunities and benefits for student athletes at those lower level schools that otherwise would be impossible to provide. And the kids who play in those programs get an opportunity to be on a big stage and experience something that many of them cherish for a lifetime.

I genuinely feel for those kids experiencing a scoreboard beatdown, but I think most of them are mature enough to see the situation for what it is. I think if my kid was playing FCS football and got to play a game at Alabama or Ohio State, the experience and the knowledge of what that payday was providing would be worth a drubbing. I've had former students who played football at Indiana State who I know really valued the chance to play against P5 opponents. They all were tough and confident kids and they not only survived, they got great stories to tell for the rest of their lives.

I sat in a high level meeting yesterday with State preparedness people (I do this on a weekly basis for my job). There's so much stated that I can't share for obvious reasons, but I will share this much. It has been the belief of most top docs that like the flu (Not comparing COVID 19 to the flu symptom wise) the data shows that about 75% of the total US population gets the flu in some form or another over the course of a year. The vast majority self medicate and it runs it course in a few hours up to a few days. Obviously some are hospitalized and beat it or see a doctor and beat it and unfortunately, some pass from it.

These docs believe the same is/will happen with COVID 19. They had this belief for quite awhile now. While masks, gloves, social distancing, cleaning, hygiene, etc do help against the spread, none are a cure all, and in many states, people that have worn or done these things from the beginning have still caught the virus in some form or another and some have died. The vast majority of the population will get it and since we are testing so many (over 40 million have been tested or about 12% of the total US population) the number of positives is going to continue to increase. The only positive, in Indiana at least, is the death rate per positive case is .05% and has held that number for a few weeks now, but that's not the reported (and I say reported because I'm not in meetings with other states and have to rely on media numbers) in many states.

So the worst is probably not behind us yet. At least numbers wise. For those campaigning for low numbers before we open things back up, most believe that will start occurring by January 2021. Of course there's still things we don't know yet and are learning/projecting.

While I have been adamant that football games will occur this academic year, I do believe that college football will be played in the spring and that men's bball will be conference only beginning in late December/Early January, if the numbers do in fact, start going down.

I sat in a high level meeting yesterday with State preparedness people (I do this on a weekly basis for my job). There's so much stated that I can't share for obvious reasons, but I will share this much. It has been the belief of most top docs that like the flu (Not comparing COVID 19 to the flu symptom wise) the data shows that about 75% of the total US population gets the flu in some form or another over the course of a year. The vast majority self medicate and it runs it course in a few hours up to a few days. Obviously some are hospitalized and beat it or see a doctor and beat it and unfortunately, some pass from it.

These docs believe the same is/will happen with COVID 19. They had this belief for quite awhile now. While masks, gloves, social distancing, cleaning, hygiene, etc do help against the spread, none are a cure all, and in many states, people that have worn or done these things from the beginning have still caught the virus in some form or another and some have died. The vast majority of the population will get it and since we are testing so many (over 40 million have been tested or about 12% of the total US population) the number of positives is going to continue to increase. The only positive, in Indiana at least, is the death rate per positive case is .05% and has held that number for a few weeks now, but that's not the reported (and I say reported because I'm not in meetings with other states and have to rely on media numbers) in many states.

So the worst is probably not behind us yet. At least numbers wise. For those campaigning for low numbers before we open things back up, most believe that will start occurring by January 2021. Of course there's still things we don't know yet and are learning/projecting.

While I have been adamant that football games will occur this academic year, I do believe that college football will be played in the spring and that men's bball will be conference only beginning in late December/Early January, if the numbers do in fact, start going down.
Dude, "75% of the population gets the flu annually" makes absolutely no sense. Maybe someone said "7.5%" and you heard wrong.

This is from the article (a CDC publication) I'm linking: "A 2018 CDC study published in Clinical Infectious Diseases looked at the percentage of the U.S. population who were sickened by flu using two different methods and compared the findings. Both methods had similar findings, which suggested that on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick from flu each season, with a range of between 3% and 11%, depending on the season."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm

Also, there's a vaccine for the flu, and millions of people receive it annually. Per the CDC website: "Vaccination is the primary way to prevent sickness and death caused by the flu."

Unless and until there's a vaccine for Covid, it seems kind of silly to be making these comparisons.

That's all true. OTOH, those ass whippings and the big paydays fund a lot of opportunities and benefits for student athletes at those lower level schools that otherwise would be impossible to provide. And the kids who play in those programs get an opportunity to be on a big stage and experience something that many of them cherish for a lifetime.

I genuinely feel for those kids experiencing a scoreboard beatdown, but I think most of them are mature enough to see the situation for what it is. I think if my kid was playing FCS football and got to play a game at Alabama or Ohio State, the experience and the knowledge of what that payday was providing would be worth a drubbing. I've had former students who played football at Indiana State who I know really valued the chance to play against P5 opponents. They all were tough and confident kids and they not only survived, they got great stories to tell for the rest of their lives.
Good post. My take was more on the physical injuries that kids get playing up. I do understand the upside too.
Go Hoosiers!

excellent information. Thank you.

Good post. My take was more on the physical injuries that kids get playing up. I do understand the upside too.
Go Hoosiers!
I agree. I do think it's irresponsible for some of the lower level schools to schedule multiple games against P5 opponents in the same season. Especially with a 66 scholarship limit. Even some mid-major FBS schools are guilty of this. I remember Bill Lynch talking about his time at Ball State when the AD was scheduling three non-con games against P5 schools (including some of the real big dogs). The administration was then throwing Lynch under the bus and fans were upset when his beat-to-hell team was struggling against the rest of the MAC.

I agree. I do think it's irresponsible for some of the lower level schools to schedule multiple games against P5 opponents in the same season. Especially with a 66 scholarship limit. Even some mid-major FBS schools are guilty of this. I remember Bill Lynch talking about his time at Ball State when the AD was scheduling three non-con games against P5 schools (including some of the real big dogs). The administration was then throwing Lynch under the bus and fans were upset when his beat-to-hell team was struggling against the rest of the MAC.
Bill Lynch has every reason to be a bitter man.

Go Hoosiers!

You won't find a player out there from one of those smaller schools that doesn't love those games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT