ADVERTISEMENT

Season Tickets

AcuffRd

Junior
Feb 2, 2007
I went to renew my season tickets and found
There is No option to keep last years seats.

ALL season ticket holders will participate in seat selection process.

Some people will be happy and some will be mad. As with most things in life....

Reactions: Irregulars

They might not allow people to be crammed in like normal. They're probably waiting to see state/local/university restrictions look like at that time.

Reactions: Irregulars
They might not allow people to be crammed in like normal. They're probably waiting to see state/local/university restrictions look like at that time.
They are planning on no restrictions for next season! Let’s be sure we have 6 sellouts!

I was surprised they didn't raise prices for 2021 tix - what with all the losses from Covid

I consider myself lucky to get my tix, and can't wait for 2021

I like my team

Reactions: 76-1
This is the reasoning they gave but I had heard from someone in the organization that they have been planning to do this for quite some time. They actually planned to do it in 2019 but put it off until this year.

Reactions: Chriselli
This has been in the works for several years (at least 4-5). What has kept them from doing it was the fear that some people would not renew their tickets. Success of past two years, along with the pandemic) has allowed them to move to pure seat selection process.

This has been in the works for several years (at least 4-5). What has kept them from doing it was the fear that some people would not renew their tickets. Success of past two years, along with the pandemic) has allowed them to move to pure seat selection process.
Another example of IU not giving a crap about loyal fans who've stuck with them through thick and thin.

Hey, we expect you to be loyal, but when the time comes when we can make more money from 1-time big donors, you're a sucker.

Another example of IU not giving a crap about loyal fans who've stuck with them through thick and thin.

Hey, we expect you to be loyal, but when the time comes when we can make more money from 1-time big donors, you're a sucker.
If you have been a loyal fan for many years than you will be rewarded with free points for consecutive years. That alone should help you. Yes someone could make a large donation but it would have to be VERY significant gift and the number of donors able to do that would be VERY few.

Loyal fans will be rewarded - those who have had season tickets for a long time & have given $$$ for a long time.
The only people being hurt will be those who have sat together in a group and not everyone has similar point totals due to their giving level or time of season ticket holding.
Our group has been unable to move down because we have 8 tickets in our group and we could never get 8 tickets together (too many kept their existing seats). We have all had season tickets for 50+ years.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
What accounts for your statement about no restrictions?
I'm too lazy to hunt it down and link it, but the University has announced it plans on things being back to essentially "normal" this fall. The announcement was concerning academics, but I can't imagine that football attendance would be viewed differently.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If you have been a loyal fan for many years than you will be rewarded with free points for consecutive years. That alone should help you. Yes someone could make a large donation but it would have to be VERY significant gift and the number of donors able to do that would be VERY few.
That's just not true and basketball proves it.

I always move down when the team does poorly. When they start winning, I move up, because the money starts rolling in.

Loyal fans will be rewarded - those who have had season tickets for a long time & have given $$$ for a long time.
The only people being hurt will be those who have sat together in a group and not everyone has similar point totals due to their giving level or time of season ticket holding.
Our group has been unable to move down because we have 8 tickets in our group and we could never get 8 tickets together (too many kept their existing seats). We have all had season tickets for 50+ years.
I fail to see how breaking up a group is somehow being rewarded.

Reactions: indy1203 and 76-1
I fail to see how breaking up a group is somehow being rewarded.
Groups don't have to be broken up. They calculate average points in the group for selection, ticket holder in the group with the highest point totals have chosen to sit with friends over having better seats. Not a reward, but a choice - ticket holders with lower points are rewarded because they have great friends.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Groups don't have to be broken up. They calculate average points in the group for selection, ticket holder in the group with the highest point totals have chosen to sit with friends over having better seats. Not a reward, but a choice - ticket holders with lower points are rewarded because they have great friends.
Group seating has always been determined by the lowest priority point total in the group.

I just logged into my account.....I'm probably missing it right in front of my face, but does anyone know when the deadline is to choose what we want?

It's always a good idea to piss off those people that have
bought season tix year after year regardless of the teams
record.

Last edited:
Group seating has always been determined by the lowest priority point total in the group.
No it hasn’t - in the past a ticket holder with enough pts could purchase up to 8 tickets, the ticket office allowed a “group” of eight to qualify under highest point total.

No it hasn’t - in the past a ticket holder with enough pts could purchase up to 8 tickets, the ticket office allowed a “group” of eight to qualify under highest point total.
That's not what the ticket office told me.

That's not what the ticket office told me.
When did they tell you? Did you talk to your VC rep? I have 8 in my group & when we got our tickets they used my points. A little over a year ago in my meeting with my VC rep, we discussed true priority seating & he said I could use my points for 8 seats. It know appears that has changed

When did they tell you? Did you talk to your VC rep? I have 8 in my group & when we got our tickets they used my points. A little over a year ago in my meeting with my VC rep, we discussed true priority seating & he said I could use my points for 8 seats. It know appears that has changed
We have over 8 seats in our group. I don't know when it was exactly - early 2000s. Yes, it was the VC rep.

It's always a good idea to piss off those people that have
bought season tix year after year regardless of the teams
record.
I've been a season ticket holder since 2002. My butt has been in my seat for almost every home game in that span. My wife goes to about half of the games, the other half I take a friend or family member. We also buy a youth ticket. When my kids and my nephews were younger, they often used that seat. Otherwise, we use it for the extra space or a kid of a friend or I give it to someone if I see a family outside the stadium looking for tickets. Soon, my grandson will be old enough to go with me.

I give $500 to the VC every year, $200 to the school of ed., and buy 2 season tickets to two other sports (usually women's bb and volleyball or baseball). We go to some of those games and give away our tickets for the others to friends or co-workers - often families whose kids play those sports.

I know I'm a small fish but I've been a loyal fish. If I get moved up or over substantially, I will say to hell with season tickets and simply do what I've done with basketball over the years. I will pay a scalper for a good ticket for myself if it's just me, and use stub-hub for a pair of good seats when the wife wants to go. I'll use the $1500 or so that I typically send to IU to pay for better scalped/stub-hub seats. I'll stay home and watch on tv when the weather sucks. I'll park on the street and walk to the stadium (I could use the exercise anyway) rather than buy a parking pass.

I won't bitch and moan but I'll act in my own self-interest - just as the university is doing. And I won't be pissed off looking at the rows full of opposing fans sitting in front of me who pick up resold tickets from the "basketball-only" crowd that donates bigger bucks than I and never darken the entry of Memorial Stadium. I will decide on my selection day whether it's worth it to continue to be a season-ticket holder or not.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2002. My butt has been in my seat for almost every home game in that span. My wife goes to about half of the games, the other half I take a friend or family member. We also buy a youth ticket. When my kids and my nephews were younger, they often used that seat. Otherwise, we use it for the extra space or a kid of a friend or I give it to someone if I see a family outside the stadium looking for tickets. Soon, my grandson will be old enough to go with me.

I give $500 to the VC every year, $200 to the school of ed., and buy 2 season tickets to two other sports (usually women's bb and volleyball or baseball). We go to some of those games and give away our tickets for the others to friends or co-workers - often families whose kids play those sports.

I know I'm a small fish but I've been a loyal fish. If I get moved up or over substantially, I will say to hell with season tickets and simply do what I've done with basketball over the years. I will pay a scalper for a good ticket for myself if it's just me, and use stub-hub for a pair of good seats when the wife wants to go. I'll use the $1500 or so that I typically send to IU to pay for better scalped/stub-hub seats. I'll stay home and watch on tv when the weather sucks. I'll park on the street and walk to the stadium (I could use the exercise anyway) rather than buy a parking pass.

I won't bitch and moan but I'll act in my own self-interest - just as the university is doing. And I won't be pissed off looking at the rows full of opposing fans sitting in front of me who pick up resold tickets from the "basketball-only" crowd that donates bigger bucks than I and never darken the entry of Memorial Stadium. I will decide on my selection day whether it's worth it to continue to be a season-ticket holder or not.
You do you. Sounds like a plan.

Where were your seats last year?
“open market” football seats (especially good seats) will be hard to come by next year & probably pretty costly.

Where were your seats last year?
“open market” football seats (especially good seats) will be hard to come by next year & probably pretty costly.
Section 6, row 47. If I don't renew, I know I'll pay more for a pair of good seats. But on the days I go by myself it won't be hard to pick up a good single seat pretty cheap. And if the weather is crappy, or there is an 8 pm start, I'll stay home and watch on tv. I have no doubt I'll come out ahead, money-wise. I prefer to keep my season tickets. But after years of being a loyal fan and seeing row after row of visiting team fans in the seats below me every single game, I'm a little sensitive to the issue of big donor basketball fans having access to premium football seats they never intend to use. I see that problem getting worse.

In addition, now that IU football is actually winning there will be an increasing number of "bandwagon jumpers" with deep pockets pushing guys like me up and over. That's the University's perogative. I get that they are trying to maximize revenue. But if it's more feasible for me to save myself money and access better seats by scalping/ stubhub, I probably won't be very nice when they call wanting to know why I stopped buying season tickets to three sports and stopped donating to the varsity club. I expect them to be understanding of my self-interest as well.

You should copy this post and send it to your VC rep. They need to know how their policies are being received.

Section 6, row 47. If I don't renew, I know I'll pay more for a pair of good seats. But on the days I go by myself it won't be hard to pick up a good single seat pretty cheap. And if the weather is crappy, or there is an 8 pm start, I'll stay home and watch on tv. I have no doubt I'll come out ahead, money-wise. I prefer to keep my season tickets. But after years of being a loyal fan and seeing row after row of visiting team fans in the seats below me every single game, I'm a little sensitive to the issue of big donor basketball fans having access to premium football seats they never intend to use. I see that problem getting worse.

In addition, now that IU football is actually winning there will be an increasing number of "bandwagon jumpers" with deep pockets pushing guys like me up and over. That's the University's perogative. I get that they are trying to maximize revenue. But if it's more feasible for me to save myself money and access better seats by scalping/ stubhub, I probably won't be very nice when they call wanting to know why I stopped buying season tickets to three sports and stopped donating to the varsity club. I expect them to be understanding of my self-interest as well.

I think you make very valid points that they would have a hard time to argue against.

You have great seats based on your point total! I hope you can stay close to the area you are in now.
I am 3 rows behind you, on the aisle, with a lot more points,but have a group of eight and under previous system it was impossible to find 8 seats together.
I’m interested to see where my VC rep thinks where I will end up

Reactions: vesuvius13
You should copy this post and send it to your VC rep. They need to know how their policies are being received.
I have never had any contact with my VC rep. How do you have one? I emailed the ticket office a question, and they replied but told me to email the varsity club. I did yesterday morning, but have yet to get a reply.

I always move down when the team does poorly. When they start winning, I move up, because the money starts rolling in.

That is how it works

Probably because people INCREASE their giving when they are happy with results. It is not new ticket holders.
I have always-moved down each year

Probably because people INCREASE their giving when they are happy with results. It is not new ticket holders.
I have always-moved down each year
I would have no problem with the change of plan if there were a phase-in or a defined target to keep your seats. If IU said to me that I could keep my seats if I donated X additional dollars or added X% to my overall giving, I wouldn't complain. I know success is going to mean more interest. I'm most upset about not knowing in advance what I need to do to not be kicked upstairs or sideways.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Some have commented that I will have the best seats in the house this year as IU’s new mascot.

I am not looking forward to 90 degree heat in early September in a bison costume but I will take one for the team, sweat my ass off, lose some weight in the process and have field level view.

I would have no problem with the change of plan if there were a phase-in or a defined target to keep your seats. If IU said to me that I could keep my seats if I donated X additional dollars or added X% to my overall giving, I wouldn't complain. I know success is going to mean more interest. I'm most upset about not knowing in advance what I need to do to not be kicked upstairs or sideways.
Contact your VC rep, he can tell approximately how many points you will need to sit in the same general area.
My guess is their are a lot of season ticket holders that have better seats than their point total should allow. The "keep your same seat" policy favored people with 2-4 tickets as it allowed some to move down while people with larger groups were unable to due to the unavailability of 8-12 tickets together. This is sort of a straightening out of where people should really be seating based on their point totals. It is my understanding that we will do lottery for2021 & 2022 and then only every 2-3 years after that.
I am anxious to see where my new seats will be, i know my point total keeps me around the 15th row behind the IU
bench for basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT