ADVERTISEMENT

Season can start Feb 3

GeddyHoosier

All-Big Ten
Feb 1, 2006
We should be hearing something very soon about plans for this season or a schedule release. Big 10 soccer can start a month from
today- Feb 3. From what I’ve read no exhibition games, just jump right into it. I’m not sure if they will be playing a typical schedule or
how it may differ due to COVID. Tons of talent on this years roster- as usual. I’m excited to see what the guys can do this year.

We should be hearing something very soon about plans for this season or a schedule release. Big 10 soccer can start a month from
today- Feb 3. From what I’ve read no exhibition games, just jump right into it. I’m not sure if they will be playing a typical schedule or
how it may differ due to COVID. Tons of talent on this years roster- as usual. I’m excited to see what the guys can do this year.
Any recruits on campus for the 2nd semester? If so, would they be eligible to play in matches?

Anybody of this recruiting class we'd particularly like to see on the field this spring?

Any recruits on campus for the 2nd semester? If so, would they be eligible to play in matches?

Anybody of this recruiting class we'd particularly like to see on the field this spring?
Emerson Nieto from Ft. Wayne is the crown jewel of the recruiting class. He’s played as an amateur with Indy 11, which allows him to maintain college eligibility. Joey Maher is pretty good too, but probably not at his brothers level just yet.

Has a schedule been announced yet? A quick search comes up empty.

I wonder how many games etc because a lot of schools played this past fall
My 2 points of curiosity. How many schools are available to schedule in the spring and when will we be able to comfortably schedule home games?

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
From what I read a few months back, schools that played in the fall (ACC among them) are eligible to play in the spring as well. In fact, it will be somewhat of a "test model" for the 2 semester season they are considering for all of D1 mens soccer.

As far as home games, I don't know what they'll do. Play at the indoor facility with no fans? Rent out Grand Park in Westfield? I can't imagine trying to play outdoors in February.

My 2 points of curiosity. How many schools are available to schedule in the spring and when we we be able to comfortably schedule home games?
For sure. I know many of the schools in the Carolinas played this past fall. I’ve been getting email notices about new signings etc but heard nothing about games this spring

From what I read a few months back, schools that played in the fall (ACC among them) are eligible to play in the spring as well. In fact, it will be somewhat of a "test model" for the 2 semester season they are considering for all of D1 mens soccer.

As far as home games, I don't know what they'll do. Play at the indoor facility with no fans? Rent out Grand Park in Westfield? I can't imagine trying to play outdoors in February.

As an aside I’ve played all over the country and grant park is the coolest facility I’ve ever seen. Truly incredible

Last edited:
Reactions: Seyton
Roster is updated now for "Spring 2021" but still no schedule. A few bench guys left and a few frosh enrolled early, including Grant Yeagley. Plenty of experience on this team.
schedule out. 10 big ten games only. i wonder how they plan to pick teams for the ncaa tournament. and apparently teams that played this past fall won't have that season count in determining tournament berths

schedule out. 10 big ten games only. i wonder how they plan to pick teams for the ncaa tournament. and apparently teams that played this past fall won't have that season count in determining tournament berths
You better win your conference to be safe. I wonder if they'll even have the normal field of 48 or something smaller?

And the costs of having teams that have no hope of winning . . . .
yeah but the d1 soccer tourney is already horribly unfair. the difficulty of making an elite 8 depends on your region. by way of example getting out of your part of the country sope will require a second or third round game against the acc winner every single tournament. the acc is far and away the best conference in the country. indiana is a top 5 program without a doubt but it likely wouldn't have as many championships as it has if it wasn't in a region with very few decent d1 programs. hell the entire state of illinois doesn't have a single decent d1 program. there's about 20 great d1 programs in the carolinas alone. same historically goes for slu. far fewer chances of getting upset when the teams in your region aren't very good.

yeah but the d1 soccer tourney is already horribly unfair. the difficulty of making an elite 8 depends on your region. by way of example getting out of your part of the country sope will require a second or third round game against the acc winner every single tournament. the acc is far and away the best conference in the country. indiana is a top 5 program without a doubt but it likely wouldn't have as many championships as it has if it wasn't in a region with very few decent d1 programs
I've secretly been wondering whether IU doesn't fit better in the ACC than in the BiG for a few years now . . . football would be more competitive, we'd have a better fit for soccer and baseball, plus the basketball program would have other true blue bloods on the schedule to sell to recruits and coaching prospects . . . but then there's the network money . . . golden handcuffs will get you every time . . . .

I've secretly been wondering whether IU doesn't fit better in the ACC than in the BiG for a few years now . . . football would be more competitive, we'd have a better fit for soccer and baseball, plus the basketball program would have other true blue bloods on the schedule to sell to recruits and coaching prospects . . . but then there's the network money . . . golden handcuffs will get you every time . . . .
that's really interesting. i'd never thought of that but can see it. IU is definitely a better fit for acc soccer. college soccer is a weird sport. it's definitely a sport where small schools can become powerhouse programs. a furman or a santa clara or a creighton. but because of title 9 and other reasons think of all the major schools that don't even play. land grant schools. mizzou, illinois, purdue, nebraska. no men's soccer. hell look at just florida. florida, florida state, miami - no men's soccer in arguably the third largest hotbed of soccer in the country.

Reactions: Seyton
that's really interesting. i'd never thought of that but can see it. IU is definitely a better fit for acc soccer. college soccer is a weird sport. it's definitely a sport where small schools can become powerhouse programs. a furman or a santa clara or a creighton. but because of title 9 and other reasons think of all the major schools that don't even play. land grant schools. mizzou, illinois, purdue, nebraska. no men's soccer. hell look at just florida. florida, florida state, miami - no men's soccer in arguably the third largest hotbed of soccer in the country.
. . . Akron . . . dammit.

. . . Akron . . . dammit.
amen!!! you know here in saint louis people have always said think how great mizzou soccer would be if they had a program. iu has a long history of poaching top saint louis talent because the campus and bloomington are fantastic. many kids don't want to go to slu because the campus is in the middle of the city, not a college vibe, and not "going away" to school. IU's benefitted greatly in garnering success by being in the midwest but as a program fits better with the acc type programs on the coast

And my hometown Evansville Purple Aces...at least in the 80s and 90s
those teams were absolutely stacked in the late 80s. tim ernst was one of the best players to come out of stl then. i can still picture their all white uniforms. can't remember if said purple aces or just aces

Last edited:
those teams were absolutely stacked in the late 80s. tim ernst was one of the best players to come out of stl then. i can still picture their all white uniforms. can't remember if said purple aces or just aces
Pretty sure just Aces in big cursive letters. Their best team was 1990 when they were number 1 most of the season. They beat IU 1-0 in the elite 8, but fell to the Alexi Lalas Rutgers team in the final 4. They were good enough to win it all. Then things went downhill pretty quickly throughout the 90s, but it was a heck of a run for such a small school.

Pretty sure just Aces in big cursive letters. Their best team was 1990 when they were number 1 most of the season. They beat IU 1-0 in the elite 8, but fell to the Alexi Lalas Rutgers team in the final 4. They were good enough to win it all. Then things went downhill pretty quickly throughout the 90s, but it was a heck of a run for such a small school.
I remember that 90 team well. That guy I mentioned Ernst was a big time forward there. All American from desmet in Stl. Harry Weiss and Noonan and others went to iu from desmet.

What happened to their program? Coach retire or something?

I remember that 90 team well. That guy I mentioned Ernst was a big time forward there. All American from desmet in Stl. Harry Weiss and Noonan and others went to iu from desmet.

Jerry Yeagley happened.

Well it's ironic you ask, being from St. Louis. The story was told to me some years later that UE coach Fred Smaltz got black listed by St. Louis high school and club coaches. Seems he over promised some things to recruits and under delivered once they got to campus-enough so that all the coaches in the area decided to give him the silent treatment. That dried up his recruiting pipeline. He also had a pipeline to England that dried up too, although I don't know why on that one. That brought on some losing seasons and he was fired a few years later.

On another note, didn't deSmet also produce Chris Klein and Will Bruin?

Well it's ironic you ask, being from St. Louis. The story was told to me some years later that UE coach Fred Smaltz got black listed by St. Louis high school and club coaches. Seems he over promised some things to recruits and under delivered once they got to campus-enough so that all the coaches in the area decided to give him the silent treatment. That dried up his recruiting pipeline. He also had a pipeline to England that dried up too, although I don't know why on that one. That brought on some losing seasons and he was fired a few years later.

yep they went to desmet too. the story you were told actually makes a lot of sense because it really only would take pissing off two or three high schools and two clubs to be blackballed. and the three coaches (sluh, cbc, and desmet) had old, legendary coaches that would stick up for each other so if one said this guy is no good they'd follow suit. anyway that's a shame. foreign route makes sense too. that's super hit or miss. lots of schools on the coast went foreign early. if duke has 2 parade all americans you combat it by getting foreign kids who are older and stronger.

They call that being Honey-Dicked lol.

Reactions: GeddyHoosier
I'm still trying to figure out how they plan outdoor matches in February/March in Big Ten country.
I wondering the same thing and also with baseball as its conference only games this year.

Maybe we'll get a lot of home games for both since we're the southernmost school.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT