ADVERTISEMENT

Scruggs visiting Monday...

There is a post on the premium which I am not a member is saying that Scruggs is looking to transfer. I can't read it but I am sure if he is transferring it would be to one of the prep school basketball factories. If he does this then I would say our chance on him even got slimmer than it was already. I posted something in another thread about this and I just don't know why these kids don't want to play High School basketball in Indiana.

That doesn't make your comment or others about their history any less flawed.
Frankly I believe your flawed let's wait and see how the TC era of IU basketball turns out if you don't feel interest is fading look at the empty seats this year during the pre big ten season

There is a post on the premium which I am not a member is saying that Scruggs is looking to transfer. I can't read it but I am sure if he is transferring it would be to one of the prep school basketball factories. If he does this then I would say our chance on him even got slimmer than it was already. I posted something in another thread about this and I just don't know why these kids don't want to play High School basketball in Indiana.
If what I'm hearing is true, he's going to a place in Napa Valley.

Frankly I believe your flawed let's wait and see how the TC era of IU basketball turns out if you don't feel interest is fading look at the empty seats this year during the pre big ten season

I've been around a long time and we've had empty seats before and will again. Attendance at college basketball is down, this is the new normal.

8 straight years average attendance has dropped in DI. 8 straight years.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/03/02/Colleges/College-basketball.aspx

http://time.com/3744860/march-madness-selection-sunday-college-basketball/

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/col...ball-programs-facing-attendance-declines.html

IU is going to feel it like everyone else.

I've been around a long time and we've had empty seats before and will again. Attendance at college basketball is down, this is the new normal.

8 straight years average attendance has dropped in DI. 8 straight years.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/03/02/Colleges/College-basketball.aspx

http://time.com/3744860/march-madness-selection-sunday-college-basketball/

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/col...ball-programs-facing-attendance-declines.html

IU is going to feel it like everyone else.
I think when it comes to basketball Indiana is different you probably don't. As someone who has season tickets I will miss 2-3 games a year but if IU was still an elite program that would not happen and some of the folks who sat around me express similar thoughts. Just because average attendance has dropped does not mean it drops 100% .
Make all the excuses you want the fact is IU is just a good program where it was once elite and the current coach has had 8 years.

Last edited:
Make all the excuses you want the fact is IU is just a good program where it was once elite and the current coach has had 8 years.

This right here sums up the arguments from both sides on this forum.

One side looks at 3 Sweet 16's and 2 outright conference championships in the past 5 years and feels good about where the program is (or has hopes for the future).

The other side looks at the last 5 years and, while seeing accomplishments, sees far too many red flags. Off-court player issues (which the President of IU was compelled to make a public statement on). In-state recruiting and relationships with state HS coaches. Commitment (or lack thereof) to defense, and a continually weak NC-SOS that reels in wins but kills your RPI. And they don't feel good about where the program is or, more importantly, where it is going because they've looked at not only the last 5 years but Crean's entire body of work.

It all comes down to what you want. If you want IU to be good, Crean's done that - and likely will continue to do that. But if you want IU to be really good, make deep runs in the NCAA and have a good shot of winning titles on a regular basis, you look at everything and realize its not gonna happen under Crean. Style of play, recruiting and lack of defense produces teams that can be fun to watch (Michigan) but will come up short in a one-and-done format.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. And at IU, we shouldn't settle for less.

Prolific Prep. Being discussed on other board when Doyel tweeted it out on Saturday afternoon. Not sure if sources are needed for this one.[/QUOTE]

Prolific Prep. Being discussed on other board when Doyel tweeted it out on Saturday afternoon. Not sure if sources are needed for this one.

There's been rumors for a while about PS going to prep.

Didn't know where, and still not sure about connection to California (Schilling?). Still trying to find out more, but people are staying tight-lipped on this one.

There's been rumors for a while about PS going to prep.

Didn't know where, and still not sure about connection to California (Schilling?). Still trying to find out more, but people are staying tight-lipped on this one.

Thinking out loud. Reasons for transfer at beginning of senior season is usually either academics or higher level of play/instruction. Put me in the confused category here.

Silver lining? Prolific Prep is an Adidas school....hahaha.

I think when it comes to basketball Indiana is different you probably don't. As someone who has season tickets I will miss 2-3 games a year but if IU was still an elite program that would not happen and some of the folks who sat around me express similar thoughts. Just because average attendance has dropped does not mean it drops 100% .

I think you remain stuck in another century. Attendance is down throughout the NCAA for almost a decade straight. It impacts everyone. No one is immune.

Do you think UNC is one of those special, different schools? How come they played in front of 3,500 empty seats a game this season, a season in which they went to the national title? That's less than 85% capacity. Their attendance was down MORE THAN 1,000 PER GAME this year.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2016/6/8/11885114/does-unc-have-a-basketball-attendance-problem

Why does Louisville play to 94% capacity? Aren't they special and elite? Part of it is larger arenas are tougher to fill, but the point is they aren't filling them.

The world has changed, some of you continue to ignore this. College basketball isn't what it used to be. Kids don't stay home as often as they used to. Keep hanging on to a world bygone.

I think you remain stuck in another century. Attendance is down throughout the NCAA for almost a decade straight. It impacts everyone. No one is immune.

Do you think UNC is one of those special, different schools? How come they played in front of 3,500 empty seats a game this season, a season in which they went to the national title? That's less than 85% capacity. Their attendance was down MORE THAN 1,000 PER GAME this year.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2016/6/8/11885114/does-unc-have-a-basketball-attendance-problem

Why does Louisville play to 94% capacity? Aren't they special and elite? Part of it is larger arenas are tougher to fill, but the point is they aren't filling them.

The world has changed, some of you continue to ignore this. College basketball isn't what it used to be. Kids don't stay home as often as they used to. Keep hanging on to a world bygone.
For IU fans it was a better world for many of the other truly elite programs final 4's and championships are on their horizon again I view Indiana as special you don't and you point to specific examples of schools where attendance is down but it is not 100% and I know too many season ticket holders that miss IU games that would not if the program was indeed elite it is not.

I see you've moved on from the attendance claims, smart move on your part. Losing argument for you.

I view IU as special for many reasons, including my time working in the athletic department and earning a degree there. I've always felt IU is special and can be special, but I had a tough time with the true definition of elite. At times we played elite basketball during an era where it was extremely enjoyable. That coach is gone and that coach could not succeed in today's snowflake safe space environment. Honestly, he had a tough time being successful at the end of his IU run. Kids are different, basketball is different. The game has changed, players have changed, unfortunately a lot of old sweater vest types haven't. These are like the folks still want Green Bay to run the power sweep all the time, or for Navy to run the veer offense. Oklahoma to run the wishbone, and they pine for the glorious old days.

IU can be special again, but to be elite you need multiple coaches over multiple decades to want to come to IU. Coaches aren't beating down our door and haven't for many decades, and that should tell you something.
Wait a minute.

We have top flight practice facilities.

We have a renovated AH.

We have fertile recruiting instate, and financial resources to the tune of $700K spent on recruiting.

So what is missing?

Reactions: Hoogolf
I see you've moved on from the attendance claims, smart move on your part. Losing argument for you.

I view IU as special for many reasons, including my time working in the athletic department and earning a degree there. I've always felt IU is special and can be special, but I had a tough time with the true definition of elite. At times we played elite basketball during an era where it was extremely enjoyable. That coach is gone and that coach could not succeed in today's snowflake safe space environment. Honestly, he had a tough time being successful at the end of his IU run. Kids are different, basketball is different. The game has changed, players have changed, unfortunately a lot of old sweater vest types haven't. These are like the folks still want Green Bay to run the power sweep all the time, or for Navy to run the veer offense. Oklahoma to run the wishbone, and they pine for the glorious old days.

IU can be special again, but to be elite you need multiple coaches over multiple decades to want to come to IU. Coaches aren't beating down our door and haven't for many decades, and that should tell you something.
In this day of declining attendance how did Maryland increase their average attendance by 5,169 per game guess it is folks liked the product in fact over 40 division programs improved their average attendance guess fans there must like the direction the program is going or the schedule is more compelling. People who don't have results make excuses and rationalize..........................................................

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
In this day of declining attendance how did Maryland increase their average attendance by 5,169 per game guess it is folks liked the product in fact over 40 division programs improved their average attendance guess fans there must like the direction the program is going or the schedule is more compelling. People who don't have results make excuses and rationalize..........................................................

Just a few short days ago you wanted to be like North Carolina. Would you like me to link to your post? I showed you how North Carolina's attendance has dropped by over 1000 per game in the last year. A year in which they were a top 10 team and went to the national title game. I also showed you how it has decline across the country. Could you like other special, elite program examples or are you going to play whack a mole and look for 20 schools until you find one meets your agenda and ignore what is happening in the NCAA across all of D1 for almost a decade?

Keep moving those goalposts. I suspect Maryland was higher because they were picked by many to win the Big Ten. They didn't. Want to take bets on what happens to their attendance this year? Should their coach be fired for not delivering the Big Ten title?

Wait a minute.

We have top flight practice facilities.

We have a renovated AH.

We have fertile recruiting instate, and financial resources to the tune of $700K spent on recruiting.

So what is missing?

And 50 other schools can say the same thing. Stop falling in love with the AH, if you have been to 75+ other major arenas like I have, you would know it is ok. It's a classic 1970's building with great memories, but there are many other arenas that get kids as excited or more. You sound like UCLA fans and Pauley Pavillion, which has great traditions do memories, but isn't so great to be a difference for a 17 year old kid.

Just a few short days ago you wanted to be like North Carolina. Would you like me to link to your post? I showed you how North Carolina's attendance has dropped by over 1000 per game in the last year. A year in which they were a top 10 team and went to the national title game. I also showed you how it has decline across the country. Could you like other special, elite program examples or are you going to play whack a mole and look for 20 schools until you find one meets your agenda and ignore what is happening in the NCAA across all of D1 for almost a decade?

Keep moving those goalposts. I suspect Maryland was higher because they were picked by many to win the Big Ten. They didn't. Want to take bets on what happens to their attendance this year? Should their coach be fired for not delivering the Big Ten title?
Never said I wanted to be like North Carolina but did state I wished teams whined about how unfair it was to have to play IU like IU fans whine about an unfair draw. tams used to fear playing IU no more..... Maryland was 1 of 40 to show an increase in attendance.... Let TC deliver a final 4 team IU attendance will increrase

Did not say I wanted IU to be like North Carolina but did say I wanted teams to fear drawing IU and whine about it like TC supporters whine about the NCAA draw every year. Again 40+ schools showed increases in attendance Maryland was not the only one. Frankly when it comes to NCAA tournament success during the TC era IU is third in the state behind both Butler and Notre Dame. We are going to disagree you think IU is doing just fine with it's basketball program I don't............

When Scruggs commits someplace other than IU, the settlers are sure to claim that his year in prep school no longer makes him an Indiana kid, thus Crean will not have failed to recruit a high level, in-state player.
If Scruggs commits to IU, the detractors are sure to claim that his year in prep school no longer makes him an Indiana kid, thus Crean will not have recruited a high level in-state player.

When Scruggs commits someplace other than IU, the settlers are sure to claim that his year in prep school no longer makes him an Indiana kid, thus Crean will not have failed to recruit a high level, in-state player.
But Hanner is an Indy kid when they want him to be....ex: when they talk about the Indy kids causing trouble

And 50 other schools can say the same thing. Stop falling in love with the AH, if you have been to 75+ other major arenas like I have, you would know it is ok. It's a classic 1970's building with great memories, but there are many other arenas that get kids as excited or more. You sound like UCLA fans and Pauley Pavillion, which has great traditions do memories, but isn't so great to be a difference for a 17 year old kid.
You said "coaches aren't beating down our door and that ought to tell you something."

What is that telling us?

UCLA attendance in 2015, lowest in Pauley Pavillion history http://www.bruinsnation.com/adminis...ce-ever-at-pauley-pavilion-under-steve-alford

Michigan attendance in 2016, down for the third straight year.

North Carolina attendance this year, down 1,200 per game.

Syracuse attendance down 2000 per game this past season

Louisville attendance down 500 per game this past season

Kentucky attendance down about 500 per game this past season

Arizona attendance down about 70 per game in 2016

Aren't these some of the same schools some of you keep pining to be like. Hmmm.

INDIANA, by the way, saw attendance INCREASE by 900 per game this past season, yet here we are with some of the same folks bitching about something.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/defa..._release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2015/07/07/2014-15_mbb_attendance.pdf

That's what you wrote. Just showing you.
No, you weren't smart enough or clever enough to come up with something original nor, apparently, did you even understand the premise of my post. You share that trait with your fellow settlers, for whom "good" is always good enough.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
No, you weren't smart enough or clever enough to come up with something original nor, apparently, did you even understand the premise of my post. You share that trait with your fellow settlers, for whom "good" is always good enough.
No good isn't enough and of course we can be better as with all other teams.

Wasn't trying to be original but was copying your statement by flipping it to show how silly it is. No one has said Scruggs doesn't count as an Indiana player if he moves out of state but you're already starting that. You must deal with futures and derivatives.

Reactions: becauseIknow
No good isn't enough and of course we can be better as with all other teams.

Wasn't trying to be original but was copying your statement by flipping it to show how silly it is. No one has said Scruggs doesn't count as an Indiana player if he moves out of state but you're already starting that. You must deal with futures and derivatives.
Once again, you failed to comprehend the premise of the post. Sorry you missed it.

Did not say I wanted IU to be like North Carolina but did say I wanted teams to fear drawing IU and whine about it like TC supporters whine about the NCAA draw every year. Again 40+ schools showed increases in attendance Maryland was not the only one. Frankly when it comes to NCAA tournament success during the TC era IU is third in the state behind both Butler and Notre Dame. We are going to disagree you think IU is doing just fine with it's basketball program I don't............

Wait, what? You may want to go back in the last week and your comments about other programs and whom you wish we were more like. Specifically North Carolina. There were two posts, one from your friend that said IU is no longer relevant. Than a second about the bad draws in the NCAA tournament and how you longed for us to be like North Carolina.

You said "coaches aren't beating down our door and that ought to tell you something."

What is that telling us?

It's telling me that everything at IU isn't as cracked up as you want it to be. We won't cheat or let things slide like Kentucky, North Carolina and a few others. It tells me the Big Ten is a beast, much more so than the Big 12 or SEC, for example. It is harder to do well at a place like IU than it is Kentucky or Kansas. It's telling me our facilities may not be up to snuff compared to others. Yes, they are better than they used to be, but when I hear our fans talk about AH like it is best thing since sliced bread, well it tells me a lot of our fans haven't taken the time to get out of the state of Indiana.

That doesn't mean we can't be special or even moments of elite level program, but it is going to take a certain kind of coach that isn't willing to take shortcuts, is ok dealing with a fanbase stuck in another century, knows the facilities are good, but not great. Knows the conference is very difficult and extremely difficult to get through year in and year out. And ultimately knows that the administration will demands kids get an education, go to school, will not open up fluff majors or otherwise grease the skids as other schools do. As a result, that is limiting the type of coach that is going to come to IU. There will be no Coach Cal's, Coach Pitinos, or some of the sketchier coaches that have all kinds of success and the setup is done at the university and athletic department level to make that happen.

It's telling me that everything at IU isn't as cracked up as you want it to be. We won't cheat or let things slide like Kentucky, North Carolina and a few others. It tells me the Big Ten is a beast, much more so than the Big 12 or SEC, for example. It is harder to do well at a place like IU than it is Kentucky or Kansas. It's telling me our facilities may not be up to snuff compared to others. Yes, they are better than they used to be, but when I hear our fans talk about AH like it is best thing since sliced bread, well it tells me a lot of our fans haven't taken the time to get out of the state of Indiana.

That doesn't mean we can't be special or even moments of elite level program, but it is going to take a certain kind of coach that isn't willing to take shortcuts, is ok dealing with a fanbase stuck in another century, knows the facilities are good, but not great. Knows the conference is very difficult and extremely difficult to get through year in and year out. And ultimately knows that the administration will demands kids get an education, go to school, will not open up fluff majors or otherwise grease the skids as other schools do. As a result, that is limiting the type of coach that is going to come to IU. There will be no Coach Cal's, Coach Pitinos, or some of the sketchier coaches that have all kinds of success and the setup is done at the university and athletic department level to make that happen.

Is Michigan St. cheating?

You're telling me the Breslin Center is eons above what AH and Cook is?

Why does Izzo come to Indiana so often for elite recruits?

AH is one of the least favorite places for opposing teams to play.

Yet with all IU has going for it, it can't begin to be on the level of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, et all . . . UNLESS they get a coach that is willing to cheat?

C'mon, knowitall - you're better than that. Seriously . . .

Wait, what? You may want to go back in the last week and your comments about other programs and whom you wish we were more like. Specifically North Carolina. There were two posts, one from your friend that said IU is no longer relevant. Than a second about the bad draws in the NCAA tournament and how you longed for us to be like North Carolina.
In the terms of teams fearing IU in the tournament was what was meant all the TC supporters whine about the draw. If it was Cody's year I would have used Syracuse because IU whined the draw was unfair. Good programs don't whine they just play. Last year I even heard folks complain about Wichita State

Scruggs high school move is pretty telling . Some of us have tried to tell you there is an attidude problem. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: mathboy
Scruggs high school move is pretty telling . Some of us have tried to tell you there is an attidude problem. Be careful what you wish for.
What we wish for? You recently claimed that iu has been the favorite to land him for some time.

Someone on here mention during Malik Williams recruitment that CTC and Izzo were no longer seen at his games. Once Williams showed interest in Louisville IU MSU lost interest. Izzo feet were put to the fire couple years back to bring in better kids. Dont know if any of you seen Garrick Shermans comments about MSU basketball program not good. How soon we have forgotten the bowel movement. Give me Tremont Waters and Al Durham. Not ME kids.

ADVERTISEMENT