ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Report: "the" O$U

I hate to have to prove you wrong because you seem like a nice guy, but:

This is a nice view because you can actually see the ref throw his hat.
Um...... are you seeing things? The ref's hands never even come up until he signals the pass was incomplete.

No hat. No call. No nothing.

Harbaugh is the exact opposite! He went to nothing San Diego and a down Stanford and built winners. He went to the NFL and won. I have zero trouble giving credit to Harbaugh, he can outright coach and recruit. IMO, Meyer can't hold Harbaugh's jock strap in terms of building a program or coaching. We will see.

I agree. With all those championships harbaugh has won, I don't see how Meyer stacks up at all. Please list all of harbaugh's championships and show everyone how superior he is.

Um...... are you seeing things? The ref's hands never even come up until he signals the pass was incomplete.

No, there was a hat on the ground 2 or three yards into the end zone. That is just past where

Actually there was a hat on the field about two yards deep in the end zone. That is just past where Jones was pushed out of bounds. By rule; he remained an eligible receiver.

Tom Herman may just be the flavor of the month......
He'll get any job opening he wants. LSU, Texas, USC, etc. He was wise to stick it out and wait for the right program. He's going to be the next big coach.

Be prepared for additional holding calls when IU pops a 10 to 12 yard run because in Refs eyes there must be a penalty if IU has success against mighty OSU. Urban's whining that OSU is the victim, and some late hits that will be called on IU. It is coming
I'm as big a IUFB fan as there is, but this game won't come down to the refs. It won't come down to penalty calls. This is going to be a 30+ point blowout. Just the reality of being IU playing at O$U

No, there was a hat on the ground 2 or three yards into the end zone. That is just past where

Actually there was a hat on the field about two yards deep in the end zone. That is just past where Jones was pushed out of bounds. By rule; he remained an eligible receiver.
I would like to further add that the most blatant non-call on that play was the Paige push-off on the OSU defender in front of him. There is nothing like the nudge in the back as someone goes airborne to create space. It's an even better move in basketball, but it will get you a basketball between the eyes if you do it to me.

I agree. With all those championships harbaugh has won, I don't see how Meyer stacks up at all. Please list all of harbaugh's championships and show everyone how superior he is.

Harbaugh has at least built his own teams. Meyer would be scared to take on some of Harbaugh's challenges.

I'm as big a IUFB fan as there is, but this game won't come down to the refs. It won't come down to penalty calls. This is going to be a 30+ point blowout. Just the reality of being IU playing at O$U

Tough enough when you have the recruiting disparity, but the officiating does make a difference. I will bet you that IU is flagged more than OSU Saturday.

Sadly, for all that is holy, you are right.

He'll get any job opening he wants. LSU, Texas, USC, etc. He was wise to stick it out and wait for the right program. He's going to be the next big coach.

If Houston gets into B12, Houston might be his best bet. Recruiting is right there, expectations are reasonable, and he has the base team he wants. There is no reason Houston can't be a top 15 program every year, the recruiting base in that area is unreal. There hasn't been an option for kids to stay home. The fact that he is pulling 4 and 5 *'s in now is a good sign they have staying power.
I don't know enough about the other's rosters to say whether they would be good moves. The fact that the current USC and Texas coaching staffs aren't winning tells me the talent is not there yet, maybe it is young.

LSU would be the intriguing job, they seem to have the talent.maybe a coaching phiosophy change may be all they need. Recruiting is good, facilities are good. Expectations are a bit unrealistic right now, but it the roster is right that can be met.

I would say LSU is the job that can take a big jump quick.

If Houston gets into B12, Houston might be his best bet. Recruiting is right there, expectations are reasonable, and he has the base team he wants. There is no reason Houston can't be a top 15 program every year, the recruiting base in that area is unreal. There hasn't been an option for kids to stay home. The fact that he is pulling 4 and 5 *'s in now is a good sign they have staying power.
I don't know enough about the other's rosters to say whether they would be good moves. The fact that the current USC and Texas coaching staffs aren't winning tells me the talent is not there yet, maybe it is young.

LSU would be the intriguing job, they seem to have the talent.maybe a coaching phiosophy change may be all they need. Recruiting is good, facilities are good. Expectations are a bit unrealistic right now, but it the roster is right that can be met.

Good analysis. I do think that if Houston were to get into the B12 it would be good for him to stay. But I don't think that is going to happen. With that being the case, I think it would make sense for him to go to Texas. He'd be able to pull in the kids that Texas has been losing because (1) It's Tom Herman and (2) It's Texas. Charlie Strong made sense at Louisville because of the Florida pipeline to that school, but Texas is full of great talent that is going elsewhere (ahem, JT Barrett).

Either job though, LSU or Texas, is an attractive option for sure. As a side note, I'm betting Les Miles is done coaching at this point. Isn't he something like 63 and has a $8-10 million dollar contract buyout?

I agree with you on Houston. I think there's at least a 50% chance he stays there for a long time if they get in the Big 12. Great recruiting, great momentum, and he doesn't have the pressure there that he would at LSU, Texas, etc.

I actually don't think LSU is a very attractive job because of Saban at Alabama. You have to beat them every year just to make the conference championship game. Until he leaves, I wouldn't touch the LSU job if I was an elite coach.

Good analysis. I do think that if Houston were to get into the B12 it would be good for him to stay. But I don't think that is going to happen. With that being the case, I think it would make sense for him to go to Texas. He'd be able to pull in the kids that Texas has been losing because (1) It's Tom Herman and (2) It's Texas. Charlie Strong made sense at Louisville because of the Florida pipeline to that school, but Texas is full of great talent that is going elsewhere (ahem, JT Barrett).

Either job though, LSU or Texas, is an attractive option for sure. As a side note, I'm betting Les Miles is done coaching at this point. Isn't he something like 63 and has a $8-10 million dollar contract buyout?
I disagree on Les. I think he's a top 5-8 coach and wants to prove something. I think he does really well wherever he goes if he gets out of the SEC. He'd likely have 2-3 more titles if it wasn't for one person...Nick Saban.

Personally, Texas is a job that perplexes me. From all outward appearences they should be a monser on the field. Texas appears to be an overrated job, in terms of ability to win. They had a nice run in the 2000's (ranked "top 10" 7 times), but even then they only have 3 Conference Championships since 1996. They haven't done anything in almost 10 years. I am not sure Texas is the program they think they are, something is wrong there. Look at them compared to OSU, Bama, Oregon, OU, FSU. Logically, Texas should be able to be a top 10 program every year. It just hasn't happened much in the last decade.

Personally, Texas is a job that perplexes me. From all outward appearences they should be a monser on the field. Texas appears to be an overrated job, in terms of ability to win. They had a nice run in the 2000's (ranked "top 10" 7 times), but even then they only have 3 Conference Championships since 1996. They haven't done anything in almost 10 years. I am not sure Texas is the program they think they are, something is wrong there. Look at them compared to OSU, Bama, Oregon, OU, FSU. Logically, Texas should be able to be a top 10 program every year. It just hasn't happened much in the last decade.
It's a great job at a great university, but they have unsupervised boosters running around creating chaos, and coaches and prospective hires don't care much for that. They're also an arrogant bunch. Ask any of the Nebraska fans what they think of UT and they'll tell you it's one of the reasons they left for the Big Ten. Strong is an excellent coach and a better person and he's about to get screwed into the ground by them.

It's a great job at a great university, but they have unsupervised boosters running around creating chaos, and coaches and prospective hires don't care much for that. They're also an arrogant bunch. Ask any of the Nebraska fans what they think of UT and they'll tell you it's one of the reasons they left for the Big Ten. Strong is an excellent coach and a better person and he's about to get screwed into the ground by them.

You are correct. Anyone that went to a SWC or current B12 school shares your feelings. THe resources are there to be Bama, but until they get over themselves and reign in the boosters they won't. I went to school in Texas and UT/Texas Ex are almost as bad as OSU alum. I give the Texas Ex group a bit of a pass because they usually have good barbeque. OSU, there is nothing redeeming...

I said no one picked where they went better than Urban. He would never chose to go to a struggling program, that is why he has 3 championships. Sorry I disagree with you, I think his level of success is more where he coached than what he coached.
Hey hater...you DO REALIZE Urban BEAT Wisconsin, Bama and WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP with not a FIRST or SECOND string QB but a THIRD string QB....just stop with the obviously IDIOTIC anti-Urban Meyer hatred rant.....853 winning percentage.....Oh yeah, while crying about Urban, why don't you expound on how Saban did NOTHING in CFB until he got to the SEC....whereas Urban won EVERYWHERE and IMMEDIATELY....

Hey hater...you DO REALIZE Urban BEAT Wisconsin, Bama and WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP with not a FIRST or SECOND string QB but a THIRD string QB....just stop with the obviously IDIOTIC anti-Urban Meyer hatred rant.....853 winning percentage.....Oh yeah, while crying about Urban, why don't you expound on how Saban did NOTHING in CFB until he got to the SEC....whereas Urban won EVERYWHERE and IMMEDIATELY....

Go back to the OSU board and worship Meyer. I am NOT an OSU fan and am not a Meyer fan. As an opponent of OSU, I am a hater. The one that is out of place on this message board is the OSU fans that feel the need for everyone to love them.

Go back to the OSU board and worship Meyer. I am NOT an OSU fan and am not a Meyer fan. As an opponent of OSU, I am a hater. The one that is out of place on this message board is the OSU fans that feel the need for everyone to love them.
Typical non-answer from a hater....must be horrible to go through life hating so much...have a GREAT day!!

"Respect me...respect me now dammit!...I swear to god, if you don't start respecting me...whaaaaa" lol. Thank god they will be gone Monday and we can disinfect the place.

"Respect me...respect me now dammit!...I swear to god, if you don't start respecting me...whaaaaa" lol. Thank god they will be gone Monday and we can disinfect the place.
Respect is earned....I could care less if Indiana fans respect Meyer/OSU...we've earned it already...it's not given, it's earned....try it sometime....

My thoughts on this are that OSU fan KNOWS they sold their soul for a win at all cost program. And in the best of their Midwest roots it really bothers them. So, they HAVE to come and brow-beat IU fans into admitting how great OSU is to reaasure themselves. Otherwise, why waste so much time on an opponent's message board screaming how good and respectable they are??? Really, they are yelling at IU football fans? We were happy as pigs in slop to got to a bowl game! Yet, they have to make IU fan agree how great their coach is or they get really upset. There is a psych paper in here somewhere...

Reactions: 10yrProject
My thoughts on this are that OSU fan KNOWS they sold their soul for a win at all cost program. And in the best of their Midwest roots it really bothers them. So, they HAVE to come and brow-beat IU fans into admitting how great OSU is to reaasure themselves. Otherwise, why waste so much time on an opponent's message board screaming how good and respectable they are??? Really, they are yelling at IU football fans? We were happy as pigs in slop to got to a bowl game! Yet, they have to make IU fan agree how great their coach is or they get really upset. There is a psych paper in here somewhere...

There are over exuberant OSU fans, but considering the number of OSU fans in general, it wouldn't be surprising that there would be a larger number of such fans than programs with smaller fan bases. I've been on this board all week and I don't think it's been all that bad with either side. When most fans complain about us trollers, it's a handful of fans. Similarly when someone runs into an obnoxious fans, it's a small group.

As far as the program "selling it's soul", again a simple answer by opposing fans to justify the program's success. The truth is that OSU benefits from being the only big time program in the state, a very good recruiting base, and a history of success and name recognition that helps recruiting nationally. There's been some very good football coaches along the way as well. Selling the soul, no. Committed to winning and high expectations, yes. Mistakes along the way and individuals trying to take advantage of the situation, yes and yes. But a total sell out by everyone r the majority involved, no.

OSU fans don't need opposing fans to say how great is the team. We can accept dislike. We can accept ambivalence. But when attacked or insulted, it's not unreasonable to counter.

Yep...seen them this year and over 40 years before that. Seen then live and on TV...seen huge talent disparity mean little as few team are as notorious over the years for playing down to the level of their competition. OSU is more used to being annointed the winner than working hard for it. They are perfectly capable of laying an egg...huge talent or not. They also usually have big ego problems too. Im not impressed with Meyers either, not with the amount of talent hes already had and how little hes done with it.

Yeah, 54-4 overall record, national title, B1G title, four straight division titles, all-time record 30-game conference win streak, two 20-game win streaks, and 32-1 regular season conference record, in his four years and four games this season as head coach, is doing little with his talent.

Mostly likely we will not win this game...B10 officals always help OSU, particularily at home. But they are beatable...they have fragile confidence. Punch them in the mouth and they stagger. Glass jaw...

We've been penalized more than our opponent in both numbers and yardage in each game so far, so the officials aren't a positive factor for us. As for staggering after getting punched in the mouth, ask Bowling Green how badly we staggered after their pick-six on our opening drive...77-3 the rest of the game, IIRC.

God I hate OSU and its foul mouthed fans...

I'd give a foul-mouthed reply, but that would just play into your little Hoosier hands...

Remember how good MSU was after they beat ND- #8 in the country. They were exposed by Wisky, and thrown out of the top 25 by the Hoosiers.
You mean the very same Sparty team against whom you didn't score a single point until the last minute of the third quarter, at home?

And don't forget the offensive explosion you had against mighty FIU? Two offensive TDs and a FG.

O$U may be fast, but they are is still young. And in the words of Mickey Andrews one of the greatest defensive coordinators in modern football of his young defense "they are fast, but if they are running in the wrong direction, they are getting in the wrong place fast." Go IU.

Going in the wrong place fast? I'd say they've been consistent throughout the season so far, if not getting better. You want to do sports clichés? How about "it's better to have a team that's high on talent and low on experience than the opposite"...

And youre right too. Geesh, theyre talented and that speed. But I dont think they are well coached and have as fragile a mentality as any top tier program Ive ever seen. Let them get out ahead and your in trouble. But make them work for it for three quarters and theyre ready to fold in the 4th. At home, they will be very difficult to beat...just not impossible.

You mean like in 2014 when IU had the lead near the end of third quarter and OSU (i.e. Jalin Marshall) responded like this?

osu_IUbox2014.png

By the way, Tevin Coleman put the fear of god in us for a while that day

When Urban leaves, and he will...before the impending implosion of the program and more allegations of wrongdoing on the part of the team, as a Gator fan, I hope he leaves OSU just like he did Florida, amidst allegations of wrongdoing, cupboard somewhat bare and a fan base is disbelief......OSU should have gotten sanctions for Tressel, let's see what happens when Urban leaves, he should have had issues at Florida, but they cleaned house pretty quick, or are the Buckeyes along with Urban, the Clinton's of college football?, All that cheating and wrongdoing and nothing sticks.

Reactions: 10yrProject
[...]IMO, Meyer can't hold Harbaugh's jock strap in terms of building a program or coaching. We will see.
Bowling Green was 4-7, 3-8, 5-6, 5-6, and 2-9 the five years before Meyer arrived...they were 8-3 and 9-3 his two years there before he went to Utah. The Utes were 4-7, 8-4, and 5-6 the three years before he got there...they went 10-2 and 12-0 (#4 final AP ranking) under him before he went to Florida, where he won two national titles. When he came to Ohio State, he inherited a 6-7 team and turned it into a 12-0 team despite sanctions and recruiting restrictions. And in the head-to-head, Meyer curbstomped Hairball 42-13 in the Pig House. You obviously are clueless about head coaching...

When Urban leaves, and he will...before the impending implosion of the program and more allegations of wrongdoing on the part of the team, as a Gator fan, I hope he leaves OSU just like he did Florida, amidst allegations of wrongdoing, cupboard somewhat bare and a fan base is disbelief......OSU should have gotten sanctions for Tressel, let's see what happens when Urban leaves, he should have had issues at Florida, but they cleaned house pretty quick, or are the Buckeyes along with Urban, the Clinton's of college football?, All that cheating and wrongdoing and nothing sticks.
Uh, Einstein, OSU did get sanctioned for Tressel's actions (post-season ban in 2012 and scholarship reductions for three years). And, as most butt-hurt Gator fans are, Meyer didn't leave Florida under threats of sanctions and he didn't leave the cupboard bare. Gator tears make me laugh...

Respect is earned....I could care less if Indiana fans respect Meyer/OSU...we've earned it already...it's not given, it's earned....try it sometime....

Respect me now dammit!!!! Mommy...those meanies won't respect me.....whaaaa

You are correct Ace...respect is earned and outside of Columbus Ohio...you are not close.

Uh, Einstein, OSU did get sanctioned for Tressel's actions (post-season ban in 2012 and scholarship reductions for three years). And, as most butt-hurt Gator fans are, Meyer didn't leave Florida under threats of sanctions and he didn't leave the cupboard bare. Gator tears make me laugh...
I know they got sanctions, but not nearly what they deserved. You obviously don't know what happened at Florida, so I'd leave your comments to something you do know. But as a small FYI, here is just one event that happened at Florida and what the player says speaks volumes of Meyer's character.

"It has all left some wondering just what the culture at Florida was at the time. Was this a program filled with players of questionable character, or was it a program that is now receiving unfair scrutiny because of a heinous act attributed to one of its former players?

Jenkins, the cornerback, eventually left Florida for North Alabama after Meyer’s successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team after marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to The Orlando Sentinel about his dismissal.

“If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I’d still be playing for the Gators,” he was quoted as saying. “Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win.”

That's all we need to know.........

Last edited:
Reactions: fx400
This is just insane. I love Hoeppner but Saban or Meyer would have IU competing for the Big Ten in 2-3 years and a national championship within 5. Let's get real.
According to DD we should have found out what Urban could have done at IU. He said when both were at BG that Urban was very interested the IU job but when DD went to IU about it they did not seemed real interested.

According to DD we should have found out what Urban could have done at IU. He said when both were at BG that Urban was very interested the IU job but when DD went to IU about it they did not seemed real interested.
Interesting. What could have been...

I know they got sanctions, but not nearly what they deserved. You obviously don't know what happened at Florida, so I'd leave your comments to something you do know. But as a small FYI, here is just one event that happened at Florida and what the player says speaks volumes of Meyer's character.

"It has all left some wondering just what the culture at Florida was at the time. Was this a program filled with players of questionable character, or was it a program that is now receiving unfair scrutiny because of a heinous act attributed to one of its former players?

Jenkins, the cornerback, eventually left Florida for North Alabama after Meyer’s successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team after marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to The Orlando Sentinel about his dismissal.

“If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I’d still be playing for the Gators,” he was quoted as saying. “Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win.”

That's all we need to know.........

Not nearly what they deserved dipsh!t ? They were denied a chance of playing for the NC in 2012 after they went undefeated.

ADVERTISEMENT