ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Report: "the" O$U

Enough already. IU's receiver had already stepped out of bounds. He became an ineligible receiver when that happened. You cannot interfere with an ineligible receiver. Game over.
Um.....no. Not correct. No such call was made.

You're not saying the refs missed a call, are you?

You Ohio people are kind of slow.....

And Meyer made it even better. And check out the records of the guys who preceded Carroll and Holtz. It blows your argument apart.

Look at the rosters those guys inherited! I listed Carroll's first roster, 19 or so in the NFL? Yeah, tough to win with that. Notre Dame roster was also stacked. Faust was a HS coach in over his head, come on. You have to be kidding. Notre Dame and USC are tough to recruit and win at?

Believe what you want about Urban. First talk to some Gator fans and read some of the stories on what he left in Gainesville before canonizing the guy.

Um.....no. Not correct. No such call was made.
Wrong, Danc, the call was made. The ref signaled that the IU receiver went out of bounds. He did that by throwing his hat on the field. Don't believe me? Watch the replay.

Wrong, Danc, the call was made. The ref signaled that the IU receiver went out of bounds. He did that by throwing his hat on the field. Don't believe me? Watch the replay.
I've watched the replay many times. No hat on the field. No call.

Shouldn't we critique every play if we're going to cry about the officiating?

I don't know, as I don't cry about officiating. When I say something about officiating you can count on it 1. being accurate and 2. of material influence in the outcome.

Shouldn't you critique every one of my posts if you are going to continue sobbing about my posts?

I don't know, as I don't cry about officiating. When I say something about officiating you can count on it 1. being accurate and 2. of material influence in the outcome.

Shouldn't you critique every one of my posts if you are going to continue sobbing about my posts?
Actually, the two times I have seen you complain about officiating you were wrong both times.

I hate to have to prove you wrong because you seem like a nice guy, but:

This is a nice view because you can actually see the ref throw his hat.

So you are saying there were three missed calls that play? Jones was clearly pushed out of bounds about the goal line and that by rule does not make him ineligible. Understand your PU bias, but the fact remains.

So you are saying there were three missed calls that play? Jones was clearly pushed out of bounds about the goal line and that by rule does not make him ineligible. Understand your PU bias, but the fact remains.
He didn't throw his hat at the goal line, did he?

When you can say that there will be 90,000+ at every home game, it makes an impression with every recruit at every school.

1. See the video evidence above that I provided Brother Danc.

2. Explain how the parallax view supports your contention that the field goal was good at the end of IU's bowl game.
Obviously, not everyone understands the significance of the official throwing his hat. The replay makes it clear that there was no penalty. Close game and a tough loss, but it wasn't a penalty.

Obviously, not everyone understands the significance of the official throwing his hat. The replay makes it clear that there was no penalty. Close game and a tough loss, but it wasn't a penalty.

There was no penalty....called.

There were two that should have been based on the video evidence. The BIG kept their #1 ranked team. End of story.

2. Explain how the parallax view supports your contention that the field goal was good at the end of IU's bowl game.

#1 is resolved in my favor.

#2 I introduced the parallax error into that kick discussion. Ironically one of your fellow PU grads helped me to understand the concept and completely agrees with my findings via the video evidence (a top grad).

The video evidence supports both of my arguments. I don't make many corrections to officiating, but when I do I have the facts on my side and the calls directly affect outcomes.

Glad I can help.

Reactions: DANC

Actually hate to get involved in this but...:

The penalty (actually penalties) that should have been called were the two, guys hitting our QB both late & out of bounds...

Now to me it's water under the bridge and it's just what I've come to expect from Big Ten refs over the years.

We have a chance (albeit a slim one) to balance the scales a bit this Saturday with a W.

That would be poetic justice plus some.

The only way to get the Big Ten refs to call it even is to simply overcome what are usually non-calls (a slick way of controlling the spread and often the winner) by simply winning literally in spite of them...

The type of plays our D linemen made against Michigan State at the end are what we'll have to have all game long to win in Columbus and Ann Arbor and probably at home against NE & P$U... //Example: Two obvious holding penalties not called, and we get two Big Time Sacks in spite of being held. (Against MSU last Saturday)//.

Last edited:
#1 is resolved in my favor.

#2 I introduced the parallax error into that kick discussion. Ironically one of your fellow PU grads helped me to understand the concept and completely agrees with my findings via the video evidence (a top grad).

The video evidence supports both of my arguments. I don't make many corrections to officiating, but when I do I have the facts on my side and the calls directly affect outcomes.

Glad I can help.
You and your Purdue buddy don't understand the parallax concept.

IU receiver went ob on his own three yards deep in end zone. That's when hat came off.

You wear a hilarious set of red blinders. Keep it up. You make me laugh.

You and your Purdue buddy don't understand the parallax concept.

IU receiver went ob on his own three yards deep in end zone. That's when hat came off.

You wear a hilarious set of red blinders. Keep it up. You make me laugh.

We understand your hatred of All things IU based based upon the condition of PU athletics. No angle, no slow mo, no scientific method...nothing will overcome your bias. We get it.

Reactions: mk_peters
We understand your hatred of All things IU based based upon the condition of PU athletics. No angle, no slow mo, no scientific method...nothing will overcome your bias. We get it.
You're the best. Don't go changing to try and please me. You never let me down before.

No problemo bud. We know you are just here having fun stirring the shit.
The parallax view doesn't make a case for a good kick, it makes a case for error in angle of viewing. Not that it was a good kick. Maybe you should understand the concept before using in an argument. Embarrassing?? not hardly because you are wrong with the science and not nearly as embarrassing as your spelling when you are trying to make a point based on some quasi-knowledge of science. Reminds me of the Chik Fil A cows..."Eat Mor Chikin, We're Havun a Partee.....

Although I can't insert a diagram here, to show you,
where the ref stands and looks to judge, their views are straight up. Viewing from the center, you will have an inclusive field of view at an angle, like this, \/, if you are at the bottom of the V. The parallax will make everything inside it's field "appear" to be inside the goalpost from THAT angle and appear that a kick was "good" when it actually was not. As opposed to the refs standing at an angle like an H under the goalpost. The balls flight path was outside the goalpost, but inside the field of view. Kinda like looking at the speedometer in a car from the passenger side of the vehicle. Looking at it straight ahead, you're going 60 mph, but someone looking from the passenger side, sees the the indicator over 55 mph or thereabouts. It is that simple. The center of the crossbar view is inaccurate at best and does not support the case for a "good kick". That is why the refs position directly under each goalpost. The fact that the goalposts appear to slightly curve in the center view from the camera shows there is definitely a photogrammetric parallax involved.

It seems pretty clear to me from the video, that from the field, everyone out there could tell what happened. The IU guys were stunned that Oakes missed and Duke guys knew he did. The only one who thought it didn't miss was Oakes. You can watch the IU guys raising their hands in celebration and then dropping them rapidly when they knew he missed.

There was no penalty....called.

There were two that should have been based on the video evidence. The BIG kept their #1 ranked team. End of story.
Nothing was called because there wasn't a penalty. Whining and crying about it a year later doesn't change the facts.

Nothing was called because there wasn't a penalty. Whining and crying about it a year later doesn't change the facts.

Stating facts backed by video evidence is just that. You are here on the IU board for a week playing the tough Ohio guy. Wipe your nose and go back to the super awesome THEosu site with the rest of the band wagon truck drivers.

Reactions: mk_peters
When Terry Hoeppner arrived at IU attendance was less than 25,000 a game. I would say the Coach Hoeppner tried to build a program from scratch. But unfortunately he was only granted two years. And 10 years later people appreciate the enthusiasm and passion he restored to the program.

Terry Hoeppner had the experience and the passion to make IU a legitimate Big 10 contender. Nobody could have done a better job than he did during those 2 years. Not Lou Holz. Not Nick Saban. Not Urban Meyer.
This is just insane. I love Hoeppner but Saban or Meyer would have IU competing for the Big Ten in 2-3 years and a national championship within 5. Let's get real.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
This is just insane. I love Hoeppner but Saban or Mayer would have IU competing for the Big Ten in 2-3 years and a national championship within 5. Let's get real.

I agree! Think what a Tom Herman could do with IU. I would love to see IU get a dynamic young guy like that.

I agree! Think what a Tom Herman could do with IU. I would love to see IU get a dynamic young guy like that.
I think coaching is a lot, but it also takes buy-in from the AD and ultimately the university's president and donors. Upgrades to facilities in order to attract recruits, etc... are vitally important to those who compete at the top. If you look at the perennial powerhouses, they spend a tremendous amount of money on more than just coaching.

For goodness sakes that loss was one loss in a string of twenty in a row. Let it go.

Exactly what I would expect a b
I think coaching is a lot, but it also takes buy-in from the AD and ultimately the university's president and donors. Upgrades to facilities in order to attract recruits, etc... are vitally important to those who compete at the top. If you look at the perennial powerhouses, they spend a tremendous amount of money on more than just coaching.

In addition to those expenditures is it really necessary to lower your admittance standards? Perhaps it is.

Exactly what I would expect a b

In addition to those expenditures is it really necessary to lower your admittance standards? Perhaps it is.
I didn't come here to talk smack, but you may want to do some research before you start throwing things around like that. It doesn't hurt my feelings - I went to a private liberal arts school that is ranked way above either one of those schools with regard to academics.

http://colleges.startclass.com/comp...omington-vs-Ohio-State-University-Main-Campus

I didn't come here to talk smack, but you may want to do some research before you start throwing things around like that. It doesn't hurt my feelings - I went to a private liberal arts school that is ranked way above either one of those schools with regard to academics.

http://colleges.startclass.com/comp...omington-vs-Ohio-State-University-Main-Campus

Your liberal arts education apparently failed you in reading comprehension and critical thinking...but no one is shocked to learn you are just another non-grad bandwagon troll on the opponent's message board.

Your link has nothing to do with my post but nice try. How is that "Beatles of the mid-sixties Appreciation" major working out for you Ace?

Actually hate to get involved in this but...:

The penalty (actually penalties) that should have been called were the two, guys hitting our QB both late & out of bounds...

Now to me it's water under the bridge and it's just what I've come to expect from Big Ten refs over the years.

We have a chance (albeit a slim one) to balance the scales a bit this Saturday with a W.

That would be poetic justice plus some.

The only way to get the Big Ten refs to call it even is to simply overcome what are usually non-calls (a slick way of controlling the spread and often the winner) by simply winning literally in spite of them...

The type of plays our D linemen made against Michigan State at the end are what we'll have to have all game long to win in Columbus and Ann Arbor and probably at home against NE & P$U... //Example: Two obvious holding penalties not called, and we get two Big Time Sacks in spite of being held. (Against MSU last Saturday)//.

Be prepared for additional holding calls when IU pops a 10 to 12 yard run because in Refs eyes there must be a penalty if IU has success against mighty OSU. Urban's whining that OSU is the victim, and some late hits that will be called on IU. It is coming

Your liberal arts education apparently failed you in reading comprehension and critical thinking...but no one is shocked to learn you are just another non-grad bandwagon troll on the opponent's message board.

Your link has nothing to do with my post but nice try. How is that "Beatles of the mid-sixties Appreciation" major working out for you Ace?
Actually it does have everything to do with your post. You insinuated that IU has higher admission standards and the link I shared shows that isn't really the case. And frankly, my biology and chemistry double major is working out quite well for me, thank you. Also - I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the term "bandwagon." I've been a tOSU fan since I was a child, so I don't really see your point. Does that mean that children also aren't allowed to cheer for a specific team because they haven't attended college? Or perhaps people aren't allowed to cheer for NFL teams because they don't actually live in the city where that NFL team is located?

Be prepared for additional holding calls when IU pops a 10 to 12 yard run because in Refs eyes there must be a penalty if IU has success against mighty OSU. Urban's whining that OSU is the victim, and some late hits that will be called on IU. It is coming
Good idea to get a head start on the excuses.

Reactions: fpeaugh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT