ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Report: "the" O$U

Reactions: sslefton
Battles are won by the Will of the guys in the fight not by those on the sideline telling them they have no chance.:mad:

You can choose to be delusional or you can choose to be realistic.

OSU is at home. OSU is not Michigan State. IU is getting better. IU is nowhere near OSU's level.

There's no dishonor losing to OSU. Play hard, play well, learn from the experience.

Reactions: sslefton
Last years game: Ohio State had 109 penalty yards and a negative-3 turnover margin, both worst their worst in 5 years under Urban Meyer.

OSU is at home. OSU is not Michigan State. IU is getting better. IU is nowhere near OSU's level.

There's no dishonor losing to OSU. Play hard, play well, learn from the experience.
And stay injury free. When Feeney returns and when Camiel returns in a few weeks I think this team can play .500 ball the rest of the way.

They are a lot better than they were last year which is kinda crazy since they lost several hundred players to the NFL.

Actually, as a Buckeye, I'm kind of looking forward to our matchup since your teams under Wilson have been known to be able to move the ball against anyone. I've been really impressed with your coaching staff over the last few years. Should be a test for our defense. But, yes, I agree with you about this OSU team being better than last year's. I've been following Buckeye football since the early 60s and have never seen depth and SPEED like what's currently on the Buckeye roster. BUT, I've also learned not to take anything for granted as you guys have the capability to make life miserable for any opponent, BTW, congrats on your win over MSU Saturday. Can't wait to play them - we owe them some payback bigtime.

It is not delutional to believe IU can beat OSU.

Ive been there when its happened twice before, and it should have happened again last year. OSU has one big achilles heel with us...they simply cant mentally prepare for our games due to our history. Cant blame them really, but its there to use if enough things go right.

They are the better team. Nobody questions that...but Ill frigging hate losing to those arrogant pin heads every time...shame and all. Never lay down for anyone and you worship them to much for a team that regularily plays down to the level of their competition. Screw OSU...

Reactions: 10yrProject

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/22/13000126/ohio-state-defense-basic

Their overall team speed is what concerns me..., especially on special teams.

This might be one of those games to pass on the FG and use all four downs ...
We nearly had that game winner blocked against MSU (KW said someone got a hand on it).

Given that they can run those blocked FG's back for a score of their own and that our FG's don't seem to be the "sure thing" that they've been over the past couple of years, we might just get to see "wide open, gambling Kevin calling the plays this Saturday...

Last edited:
Reactions: IUcolorado
Last years game: Ohio State had 109 penalty yards and a negative-3 turnover margin, both worst their worst in 5 years under Urban Meyer.

Still think we would have won that game had Howard not gotten hurt and if Sudfeld would have been healthy, even if OSU plays a clean game.

Howard was starting to gash OSU's defense before he got injured.

The TOs kept us in it after the offense was much less successful with Zander in.

OSU is at Wisconsin the following week. UW showed it can play with anyone, especially at home. Madison is a tough place to play. They took a loaded Michigan team to the final minute at Ann Arbor (who is a whore). Last time at Madison they went to OT, granted it was 2012 but they have not played UW in Madison for 4 years.

My point: IMO, that helps IU if OSU is looking toward UW. WIth the talent difference, OSU taking IU lightly helps. I don't thin OSU is ready for an IU D that will fight back. It may not be a heavyweight D, but it is much more aggressive than years past. Punch OSU in the mouth early, hit Barrett early and often, make them play into the 4th quarter and we have a shot. Can't let OSU get out early and turn this into a track meet, we just do not have the horses for that this year. This has to turn into a make OSU grind it out and IU score through the air typ game.

That is my analysis.

It is not delutional to believe IU can beat OSU.

Ive been there when its happened twice before, and it should have happened again last year. OSU has one big achilles heel with us...they simply cant mentally prepare for our games due to our history. Cant blame them really, but its there to use if enough things go right.

They are the better team. Nobody questions that...but Ill frigging hate losing to those arrogant pin heads every time...shame and all. Never lay down for anyone and you worship them to much for a team that regularily plays down to the level of their competition. Screw OSU...

Have you actually seen O$U play? They're absolutely dismantling teams. It's impressive to watch unless you're the team playing against them.

Reactions: Bucknut59
Still think we would have won that game had Howard not gotten hurt and if Sudfeld would have been healthy, even if OSU plays a clean game.

Howard was starting to gash OSU's defense before he got injured.

The TOs kept us in it after the offense was much less successful with Zander in.

Even with the injuries IU would have won that game had two zebras not decided to swallow their whistles on the last play to protect the #1 ranking for the BIG. Apple's PI and Bosa's cheap shot out of bounds on Zander were both ignored and both would have given IU another shot 10 yards closer. Nothing would make me happier than to see IU beat THE Ohio Football Factory (TOFF) next week.

Even with the injuries IU would have won that game had two zebras not decided to swallow their whistles on the last play to protect the #1 ranking for the BIG. Apple's PI and Bosa's cheap shot out of bounds on Zander were both ignored and both would have given IU another shot 10 yards closer. Nothing would make me happier than to see IU beat THE Ohio Football Factory (TOFF) next week.
IU played tough that day, but Ohio State didn't win because of the officiating. Ohio State won because they were the better team.

Ohio State's defense has given up an average of 5.75 points a game. They have outscored their opponents 228 - 37. I am not saying IU will not score some points they will. I just do not see them scoring enough against an excellent defense. Team speed will be very evident for the Buckeyes. I have been a Buckeye fan for over fifty years. I have never seen this much talent before. Good luck and I hope we do not see any major injuries on either team.

Have you actually seen O$U play? They're absolutely dismantling teams. It's impressive to watch unless you're the team playing against them.
Yep...seen them this year and over 40 years before that. Seen then live and on TV...seen huge talent disparity mean little as few team are as notorious over the years for playing down to the level of their competition. OSU is more used to being annointed the winner than working hard for it. They are perfectly capable of laying an egg...huge talent or not. They also usually have big ego problems too. Im not impressed with Meyers either, not with the amount of talent hes already had and how little hes done with it.

Mostly likely we will not win this game...B10 officals always help OSU, particularily at home. But they are beatable...they have fragile confidence. Punch them in the mouth and they stagger. Glass jaw...

God I hate OSU and its foul mouthed fans...

Last edited:
Yep...seen them this year and over 40 years before that. Seen then live and on TV...seen huge talent disparity mean little as few team are as notorious over the years for playing down to the level of their competition. OSU is more used to being annointed the winner than working hard for it. They are perfectly capable of laying an egg...huge talent or not. They also usually have big ego problems too. Im not impressed with Meyers either, not with the amount of talent hes already had and how little hes done with it.

Mostly likely we will not win thing game...B10 officals always help OSU, particularily at home. But they are beatable...they had a fragile confidence. Punch them in the mouth and they stagger. Glass jaw...

I'm right there with you on your disdain for O$U; they'll give Kentucky all they can handle in the race for most obnoxious fan-base.

I'm right there with you on your disdain for O$U; they'll give Kentucky all they can handle in the race for most obnoxious fan-base.
And youre right too. Geesh, theyre talented and that speed. But I dont think they are well coached and have as fragile a mentality as any top tier program Ive ever seen. Let them get out ahead and your in trouble. But make them work for it for three quarters and theyre ready to fold in the 4th. At home, they will be very difficult to beat...just not impossible.

Mostly likely we will not win this game...B10 officals always help OSU, particularily at home. But they are beatable...they have fragile confidence. Punch them in the mouth and they stagger. Glass jaw...

LOL please tell me this is sarcasm. If not you need help.

I didn't see them play down to Rutger's level Saturday, and I haven't seen them play down to anyone else's level this year or in just about any game under UM.

And youre right too. Geesh, theyre talented and that speed. But I dont think they are well coached and have as fragile a mentality as any top tier program Ive ever seen. Let them get out ahead and your in trouble. But make them work for it for three quarters and theyre ready to fold in the 4th. At home, they will be very difficult to beat...just not impossible.
I know they stumbled at home last year against MSU, but please cite examples of their fragile nature, or of UM's poor coaching.

Seriously ? This is comical. First, you might want to learn how to spell his name.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Another of the delusional osu fans...your record speaksfor itself. How many times have you lost to UM? Lol

58-48-6 is the all-time record...advantage Michigan.
Since the Big Ten came into existance 47-46-4...advantage Ohio State
12-3 advantage Ohio State in this century

Under Urban Meyer, Ohio State is 54-4 with three division championships, one conference championship, and one national championship...so I'm not sure underachieving would be the correct word. But then you already know that, troll.

58-48-6 is the all-time record...advantage Michigan.
Since the Big Ten came into existance 47-46-4...advantage Ohio State
12-3 advantage Ohio State in this century

Under Urban Meyer, Ohio State is 54-4 with three division championships, one conference championship, and one national championship...so I'm not sure underachieving would be the correct word. But then you already know that, troll.

Gotta watch the Michigan record keepers. They count games vs High Schools in their game won total and 2 National Championships that the NCAA doesn't recognize (they say 11 and I can only find 9 on the NCAA list). They seem very comfortable making up their own records!

IUcolorado: Sorry for trying to discuss/argue the upcoming OSU/IU game. My fault as I learned a long time that only "an idiot argues with an idiot." I'll leave.

This is going to be a drumming. Stay away from IU if you're betting. Major trap. Can't let this one derail the season. It is what it is.

I hate OSU as much as you do, but you have to be kidding with that Urban Meyer reference. The guy is at very least the 2nd best coach in the country. It's not even debatable.

He's been there 4 years, been to a BCS bowl every year they've been eligible, and won a National Title. On top of 4 straight Big Ten championships.

Add in 2 titles at Florida and a BCS win at Utah.

The guy is a top 5 coach all time. Could be #2 when its all said and done. Agree on the OSU hate, couldn't disagree more on Urban.

Iff Feeney is healthy (not just suiting up) I can see IU putting points on the board. If Lagow makes good throws then more of the same.

Can IU stop Ohio State's running game? I doubt it. If they crowd the box can the secondary cover the receivers one on one? I doubt it.

Will Ohio State make bad penalties and commit turnovers. I have no idea. Same with the Hoosiers.

Will Ohio State approach the game overconfident? Yes. They will say that Michigan State is really bad this year.

I do believe in moral victories. The common thread of a moral victory is that you play each down with intensity and don't get discouraged by the prior play.

I think the chance of IU winning is about 5% I think the odds that IU can play Ohio State tough is about 50%.

Either way I will be cheering for IU the same. There have only been one year where I thought IU had a good chance to win - 1988.

Go Hoosiers!

Iff Feeney is healthy (not just suiting up) I can see IU putting points on the board. If Lagow makes good throws then more of the same.

Can IU stop Ohio State's running game? I doubt it. If they crowd the box can the secondary cover the receivers one on one? I doubt it.

Will Ohio State make bad penalties and commit turnovers. I have no idea. Same with the Hoosiers.

Will Ohio State approach the game overconfident? Yes. They will say that Michigan State is really bad this year.

I do believe in moral victories. The common thread of a moral victory is that you play each down with intensity and don't get discouraged by the prior play.

I think the chance of IU winning is about 5% I think the odds that IU can play Ohio State tough is about 50%.

Either way I will be cheering for IU the same. There have only been one year where I thought IU had a good chance to win - 1988.

Go Hoosiers!
I'm not sure we know yet exactly how good O$U really is. BGSU, Rutgers and Tulsa are all terrible, and Oklahoma hasn't yet shown itself to be anything above average. As always, the Buckeyes have mega-talent, but they also haven't faced much defensive resistance. We will certainly find out Saturday if the IU defense is really vastly improved. IU will have to be perfect to win and hope that O$U doesn't play to its potential. It could be a rout, it could be close. I hope we compete and come out free of significant injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT