ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew: first 6 seasons in Big 12

Drew also took over a program that was under multiple NCAA sanctions and investigations.

Baylor had been to 1 NCAA TOURNAMENT SINCE 1950 PRIOR TO DREW!

Oh, and Baylor just had a player murder another player.

You cannot compare that to the situation Archie walked into. What he is doing at Baylor would be akin to taking IU Football to the CFP.

26-70 record, with a best of 9-7. First 6 years. One NCAA tourney visit.

Not 4 years. First 4 years were all losing seasons overall.

Asking for Drew to replace Miller makes absolutely no sense.
Drew may or may not be the answer to replace Miller.

But to not acknowledge what he took over at Baylor and how the sanctions impacted those early years is disingenuous, don't you think?

Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
Drew is the answer. Dolson has to make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Anybody is the answer, how about me, it's that bad of a product. They cannot put this on display next year when we're likely to be even less talented. He's got to go

Drew may or may not be the answer to replace Miller.

But to not acknowledge what he took over at Baylor and how the sanctions impacted those early years is disingenuous, don't you think?
Not to mention comparing the many advantages IU has over Baylor.

Omg. And people call me ignorant on this board.

Reactions: birdforbogey

Just when I thought I’d already seen the most asinine post.... Mrs. Miller, your husband won’t be at IU much longer. Sorry, Charlie but nice try

"This is Baylor’s second brush with the N.C.A.A. under Drew, who has twice led the Bears to the Round of 8 in the N.C.A.A. tournament. The star player Perry Jones III was suspended last year for taking impermissible benefits from his summer basketball coach. (Jones announced Monday that he would skip his final two seasons to enter the N.B.A. draft.) Drew also denied claims last month by the Ohio star D. J. Cooper and his family that Baylor attempted to recruit Cooper illegally."

Cheat. The guys is a cheat.

You think 6 bad or mediocre seasons plus a bunch of recruiting problems gets a guy a look from Indiana? Maybe in 2021, I don't know. But I do know the guy took longer than 4 years to win, and that is the point of the thread here.

I don't want Scott Drew and I certainly didn't see anyone calling for Drew at the end of Sampson or Davis's tenures.

"This is Baylor’s second brush with the N.C.A.A. under Drew, who has twice led the Bears to the Round of 8 in the N.C.A.A. tournament. The star player Perry Jones III was suspended last year for taking impermissible benefits from his summer basketball coach. (Jones announced Monday that he would skip his final two seasons to enter the N.B.A. draft.) Drew also denied claims last month by the Ohio star D. J. Cooper and his family that Baylor attempted to recruit Cooper illegally."

You think 6 bad or mediocre seasons plus a bunch of recruiting problems gets a guy a look from Indiana? Maybe in 2021, I don't know. But I do know the guy took longer than 4 years to win, and that is the point of the thread here.

I don't want Scott Drew and I certainly didn't see anyone calling for Drew at the end of Sampson or Davis's tenures.
Didn't Drew make accusations about IU's recruitment of Hanner? I remember it being creepy. No thanks!

Didn't Drew make accusations about IU's recruitment of Hanner? I remember it being creepy. No thanks!
Wasn't there an issue with Hanner being ruled ineligible to play for Baylor because of inappropriate contact ? Or do I have the facts confused ?

You’re going back almost a decade to find these infractions. Drew has been completely clean since then and his teams have never been better.

I do know the guy took longer than 4 years to win, and that is the point of the thread here.
I’m in no way lobbying for Drew. At all.

But “took longer than 4 years to win”? Baylor was a toxic nuclear mess when Drew took over in 2003, literally a Chernobyl of college basketball. One player had just murdered another; all other players had been granted release by the university and nearly all left.

Hell, Drew wasn’t hired until AUGUST. Think about trying to go out to pick up games at the Hyper and trying to field a team - that’s basically the hand he was dealt. Paid scholarships and recruiting trips were drastically reduced until 2007, and probation the program was placed under in the wake of the Bliss era didn’t end until 2010.

Baylor not beginning to win with any regularity until 2008 had very little to do with Scott Drew as a coach. Lots of reasons to not want the guy, but what he did the first 4 seasons is not one of them.

Don't forget he took over a death sentence.

He lost all their players (particularly John Lucas 3 and an all conference big, can't remember his name I think he went to UMass??? Lawrence someone??)

Anyway they also took away a crapton of schollies, put on multi year probation and either year two or year 3 they were banned from playing any non conference games. So their season started in Jan and ended without any post season....in year 3!!!

Try recruiting to that.

Whether you like Drew or not, I get it. Knight was pissed at him and he had a dirty rap for awhile.

But what he's done at Baylor has to be considered one of the greatest resurrections in history.

It's better than it has ever been. He's at 70% winning while playing in a P5 conference (306-134)....at Baylor of all places, over the last 10 years.

That's not too shabby.

But “took longer than 4 years to win”? Baylor was a toxic nuclear mess when Drew took over in 2003, literally a Chernobyl of college basketball. One player had just murdered another; all other players had been granted release by the university and nearly all left.

Hell, Drew wasn’t hired until AUGUST. Think about trying to go out to pick up games at the Hyper and trying to field a team - that’s basically the hand he was dealt. Paid scholarships and recruiting trips were drastically reduced until 2007, and probation the program was placed under in the wake of the Bliss era didn’t end until 2010.

Baylor not beginning to win with any regularity until 2008 had very little to do with Scott Drew as a coach. Lots of reasons to not want the guy, but what he did the first 4 seasons is not one of them.

And yet here we are comparing 18 seasons at Baylor to 4 seasons of Miller ball. No one who likes Drew would have wanted him here after 4 seasons and yet the same group could not imagine a scenario where Miller gains traction in recruiting shooters and starts to win?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
And yet here we are comparing 18 seasons at Baylor to 4 seasons of Miller ball. No one who likes Drew would have wanted him here after 4 seasons and yet the same group could not imagine a scenario where Miller gains traction in recruiting shooters and starts to win?
I certainly cant

What are the reasons to not want Drew? I know for a while people speculated (or perhaps knew for a fact) that he was cheat in recruiting. However, since that little run where landed a few burger boys, he's not been getting Top 50 kids. The 2012 class had Gathers (#32 RSCI) and Austin (#3), but since that class he's landed zero Top 50 and just five Top 75 kids. I think he's got a nice class coming in next year though.

IU has had ten Top 50 recruits and four more from 51-75 over the same period.

Drew has earned a #3 seed or better 6 of the last 12 seasons. Bracket Matrix and Kenpom had them projected as a #1 seed last season and it's looking like they'll get a #1 this year. I think IU has only had three #1 seeds (87, 93 and 13)

Anyway, the dude is winning a lot and seems to be doing even better since he started focusing more on 4 yr type recruits rather than chasing one-hit-wonders.

You need to add context to his first 4 years. The school was on probation and it was the start of his coaching career. What's more relevant his last 6+ years or his first 4 years at Baylor? He's taken one of the worse Power 5 programs in the country and turned them into a top 10-15 program. Drew has been outstanding at Baylor.

-Prior to, Drew, Baylor had made the NCAA tourney 4 times. Once in 1980s and 3 other times in the 1940s.
-Including, last year, they have made the tourney the last 7 out of 8 years.
-3 out of the last 6 years they have been a 3 seed or better.
-The school winning percentage prior to Drew was around 47%. He's currently at 63%
-Last season they had the 4th rated defense on Kenpom. This season they have the 3rd rated offense on Kenpom. Overall rankings they were 3rd last year and are currently 2nd this season.

Pardon my potty mouth, but I'd being f#$%ing ecstatic if IU hired Drew.

Last edited:
And yet here we are comparing 18 seasons at Baylor to 4 seasons of Miller ball.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Are you really listening to yourself here?

Archie's biggest issue was having to deal with APR issues left by the previous regime.

Drew took over a program WHERE ONE PLAYER HAD JUST MURDERED ANOTHER!!! And then had all the main cogs of the team transfer.

Have you ever read about what he took over?

I'd gladly take Drew. The facts are he has never been put on probation. I don't see cheating on his resume. I'm not saying hire him over Stevens, Beard or Musselman but I think he is a very solid choice.

So Drew is a cheat because Jones summer coach helped out his mom with loan that was apparently paid back. LOL and what stupid rule by the NCAA which inhibits someone from helping out other people.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT