ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dolson

I believe the "passion" statement is word for word what I received from Glass when I sent him a message to express my concerns about Coach Crean. Obviously, IU fans are passionate and I do not doubt the passion of Mr. Glass or Mr. Dolson. Still, the message must certainly be getting through that IU basketball fans now fit into the category of "long-suffering" as the program has not been anywhere near what it was over 20 years ago. Set national championships aside for now . . . I want to attend AH or tune into a broadcast ready for a good basketball game with the feeling that IU has a very good chance of winning. In the past, there were those games where IU would come out flat and lose one unexpectedly. Now, it is the opposite; I expect a loss and occasionally the team will come out fired up and win one unexpectedly.

Scott is not as extroverted and gregarious as Fred is, but that does not define lack of ability or competence. The big delta is Fred is as well connected nationally as can be and hopefully he has and will continue to share that advantage.

but Fred's connections are politically based, thus monetary as well, but that doesn't help any here.

that said, we are way over complicating this, and have since Davis left.

we are in the position we are, because we've discounted the obvious choices in favor of the coach of the month club.

and this board is absolutely hopelessly in love with the coach of the month club, and will never lose that love no matter how many times they are wrong..

if this board were king, not Mich St nor Mich nor Wisc would have their current coach.

as for OSU, if a coach can't win big at OSU, he can't win big anywhere.

OSU has a huge recruiting advantage over every other school in the league, and most of the country, always has and always will, so absent long term consistent elite success, i can't deem any OSU coach as highly successful in any sport.

and while everyone obsesses over someone's coaching ability, lots of guys can coach, including lots of high school coaches, and what offense or defense one runs is less important than the guys running it.

this is a sales job first, always has been, always will be.

and significantly more so than in football, where the Jimmys and Joes matter as well.

the one who will succeed here best, will be who can best sell IU and themselves.

who can best sell IU and themselves, is what should be being debated.

Last edited:
but Fred's connections are politically based, thus monetary as well, but that doesn't help any here.

that said, we are way over complicating this, and have since Davis left.

we are in the position we are, because we've discounted the obvious choices in favor of the coach of the month club.

and this board is absolutely hopelessly in love with the coach of the month club, and will never lose that love no matter how many times they are wrong..

if this board were king, not Mich St nor Mich nor Wisc would have their current coach.

OSU has a huge recruiting advantage over every other school in the league, and most of the country, always has and always will, so absent long term consistent elite success, i can't deem any OSU coach as highly successful in any sport.

and while everyone obsesses over someone's coaching ability, lots of guys can coach, including lots of high school coaches, and what offense or defense one runs is less important than the guys running it.

this is a sales job first, always has been, always will be.

and significantly more so than in football, where the Jimmys and Joes matter as well.

the one who will succeed here best, will be who can best sell IU and themselves.

who can best sell IU and themselves, is what should be being debated.
Not sure where this was going?

Don’t the obvious choices also include guys that are the flavor of the month? You get attention for winning, winning a lot usually.

Crean was a 3rd / 4th choice. There were other coaches who were contacted.

Sampson was a President Herbert hire as a minority hire replacement largely for the optics of it. Sampson was a solid coach just not the most solid human being.

Archie was widely-regarded as a very good coaching hire. Several publications rated the hire as the best offseason hire in college basketball. And, he ended up being unimaginably bad. I don’t fault the AD for that.

You can certainly tell who has never sent an email to their Senator or Congress Critter. It reads just like one of their replies. Nothing to be excited about.

Reactions: IUgradman

What would be the "huge recruiting advantage" that OSU has over "every school in the league and most in the country"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT