ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dolson

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
Has anyone else reached out to Scott? I sent him an email last night and received one back this morning. Wondering if others had gotten a message back, but I don’t think it was a standard response.

Very happy with the response. I think IU is in good hands and we will be getting a new coach soon.

From the allen news I’ll be shocked if we don’t pay our next coach more, which rules out any IU guys. We are getting a proven guy folks, the misery will be over soon.

Has anyone else reached out to Scott? I sent him an email last night and received one back this morning. Wondering if others had gotten a message back, but I don’t think it was a standard response.

Very happy with the response. I think IU is in good hands and we will be getting a new coach soon.

From the allen news I’ll be shocked if we don’t pay our next coach more, which rules out any IU guys. We are getting a proven guy folks, the misery will be over soon.
What did he say?

I emailed Scott a few years ago because I didn't think I would get a response from Fred Glass. He actually took the time to respond, and was very cordial.

Reactions: 76-1
What did he say?

i sent him a short not so sweet message saying Archie needs to go, we are the laughing stock of college basketball and linked the PU website about retaining Archie.

he replied
Sean,

Thank you for your email. I understand your frustrations, and I can assure you that I am committed to doing all that I can to return our program to a level of success that passionate fans like yourself have come to expect. Thank you for reaching out to share your thoughts.

Go IU!

Scott

• Haha
Reactions: Wiedersehen
i sent him a short not so sweet message saying Archie needs to go, we are the laughing stock of college basketball and linked the PU website about retaining Archie.

he replied
Probably cleaning out his office now.

I sent a short email to Scott about hiring Brad Stevens and his situation with the Celtics. I didn't expect a response, but got the following response same day:

"Thank you for your email and for your passion for IU Basketball; it’s that passion from our IU fanbase that sets IU Basketball apart from just about every other program in the country. Again, thank you for taking to time to share your observations. It is appreciated.

Go IU!

Scott"

I'm not trying troll anyone ... just trying to have a discussion. You referenced a "proven" coach. Miller won 24 games his last 4 years at Dayton... won the A-10 the last 2 and made 4 straight NCAA's... plus made the elite 8.

Crean win 24 (or so) games 4 times and was competitive 3 other years plus made a final 4.... in a really tough conference.

What constitutes a proven coach? As in qualifications... also who do you think are realistic candidates that would come to IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockport Zebra
No, that's a courtesy non-answer email that avoids the perceived rudeness of not responding at all.

This is correct. No info in that response other than "thanks for being an IU fan and thanks for your passion"

You learn a lot more when you get a phone call.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
Dolson may be thinking about the magical possibilities of seeing a Miller coached team move roughshod through the BTT and using that final opportunity to retain him, but I'm saying, with very clear certainty that IU needed to pull the plug yesterday.

If I were Miller, I'd be showing TJD a tape of David Robinson's one man show in 1986, or John Wallace or Carmelo Anthony putting their teams on their shoulders, because alas, it is the only coaching move that could make a difference at this point.

Or full court press the entire game just to see if chaos plays out in your favor.

Reactions: outlawyer
I sent a short email to Scott about hiring Brad Stevens and his situation with the Celtics. I didn't expect a response, but got the following response same day:

"Thank you for your email and for your passion for IU Basketball; it’s that passion from our IU fanbase that sets IU Basketball apart from just about every other program in the country. Again, thank you for taking to time to share your observations. It is appreciated.

Go IU!

Scott"
Dear Jimbo,

Why didn't I think of that?? You're a genius.

Love,

Scott

Desperate to read something, anything into his answer? Scot is glad you care and he does too, just so you know. Whatever else is TBD. Given his more recent comments, the ones I think might garner his attention are those where people just don't care anymore. The apathy is what he has stated is his real concern. i doubt they're selling much IU Basketball merchandise now. The "embarrassment" comment probably also gets his attention.

Dolson may be thinking about the magical possibilities of seeing a Miller coached team move roughshod through the BTT and using that final opportunity to retain him, but I'm saying, with very clear certainty that IU needed to pull the plug yesterday.

If I were Miller, I'd be showing TJD a tape of David Robinson's one man show in 1986, or John Wallace or Carmelo Anthony putting their teams on their shoulders, because alas, it is the only coaching move that could make a difference at this point.

Or full court press the entire game just to see if chaos plays out in your favor.
After what RU did to us in the 2nd half of that last game, IU full court pressing defense will turn into the NBA dunk contest.
Our real problem is CAM's offense. I noticed, so many times in the Pur game, when our PGs brought the ball up the court, we would be 12-15 seconds into the possession and the PG was still dribbling the ball 35 feet from the basket. And too many times, someone ended up with the ball, tightly guarded and 25 feet from the hoop, the the play clock down inside of 8-10 seconds. You rarely see IU get any easy buckets off of fast breaks. It's the complete polar opposite of CTC's frantic, 'get it outta the net and run back as fast as we can' offense. CAM's offensive strategies are as ineffective as CTC's defense. But at least a CTC team could occasionally get hot (at UM 2016) and run the other team out of the gym, and it was fun to watch. There is nothing fun right now about watching CAM's style of ball.

I like the chaos part. Never know. That would give lots of playing time, keeping legs fresh. And, get in their faces! Like Pitino said, they can't call all the fouls.

I do not read it that way. To me it is just politic speak.
It is. The last thing any competent person would be doing is talking about this or being specific in any way, outside of a very limited circle.

It’s a canned response. But considering that he probably has to send out many of those a day, is what will make a difference. Fan apathy is bad.

Well...I have some hope...Dolson was around during the RMK era (if I'm not mistaken; I think he was a manager and they were treated as harshly as the players...if not more harshly) and was a huge IU fan growing up. He has got to be sick of seeing the program in such disrepair.

However...

I've met him a couple of times...socially...and I never came away all that impressed.

Well...I have some hope...Dolson was around during the RMK era (if I'm not mistaken; I think he was a manager and they were treated as harshly as the players...if not more harshly) and was a huge IU fan growing up. He has got to be sick of seeing the program in such disrepair.

However...

I've met him a couple of times...socially...and I never came away all that impressed.
Had he been drinking a lot on those occasions, would you say?

And yes, he was a manager during the 1986-87 season (and some others, I suppose).

However...

Scott is not as extroverted and gregarious as Fred is, but that does not define lack of ability or competence. The big delta is Fred is as well connected nationally as can be and hopefully he has and will continue to share that advantage.

Had he been drinking a lot on those occasions, would you say?

And yes, he was a manager during the 1986-87 season (and some others, I suppose).

No...I don't think he was in the tank or anything (yes it was at my tailgate...he and Fred were riding around in the golf cart)...

I just did not come away super impressed...but frankly, I am rarely impressed with folks from the university....

Reactions: Radio Zero
Scott is not as extroverted and gregarious as Fred is, but that does not define lack of ability or competence. The big delta is Fred is as well connected nationally as can be and hopefully he has and will continue to share that advantage.

Well I've known Scott's wife nearly my entire life...she's sharp as a tack...so I doubt she's married below her station...having said that...I just wasn't impressed with the guy...

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
After what RU did to us in the 2nd half of that last game, IU full court pressing defense will turn into the NBA dunk contest.
Our real problem is CAM's offense. I noticed, so many times in the Pur game, when our PGs brought the ball up the court, we would be 12-15 seconds into the possession and the PG was still dribbling the ball 35 feet from the basket. And too many times, someone ended up with the ball, tightly guarded and 25 feet from the hoop, the the play clock down inside of 8-10 seconds. You rarely see IU get any easy buckets off of fast breaks. It's the complete polar opposite of CTC's frantic, 'get it outta the net and run back as fast as we can' offense. CAM's offensive strategies are as ineffective as CTC's defense. But at least a CTC team could occasionally get hot (at UM 2016) and run the other team out of the gym, and it was fun to watch. There is nothing fun right now about watching CAM's style of ball.

Watching PSU last night.......Wheeler, the PG, would race up the court each possession and hand off the ball as soon as he got around the circle. Probably saved 5-6 seconds at least each possession over what Rob does.

You'd think with as bad as our shooting is, Little Archie would try to maximize the time we have to get it to TJD or to an open shooter.

Reactions: IUgradman
No...I don't think he was in the tank or anything (yes it was at my tailgate...he and Fred were riding around in the golf cart)...

I just did not come away super impressed...but frankly, I am rarely impressed with folks from the university....

I always made sure Fred had a fresh unopened Coors Light in the cupholder when he left.

“Sean,

Thank you for your email. I understand your frustrations. I read TheHoosier.com often and I can assure you that I am as passionate about IU as you and the rest of the bat-shit crazy fans on that board. I have an esteemed panel of experts assisting me as we navigate through these challenging times. I have assembled what I feel is a knowledgeable group of basketball experts to lay down the high standards we expect. Speaking of “high,” I want to know your source for the wacky weed and if you have a recommendation for gravity bongs? Thank you for reaching out to share your thoughts and hope to hear back soon.

Go IU!

Scott

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT