ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop: 2021 class

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
I know I've been dark the last few months, but it's been for good reason. There simply hasn't been much going on in terms of recruiting due to COVID-19 outside of Zoom calls with prospects.

As you all know, I am connected to one individual within IU Athletics who has consistently been a good source of information as it pertains to Archie Miller's program.

The news I have received today relates to rounding out the 2021 class as well as the 2021-22 roster as a whole. Trey Kaufman is all but a formality at this point, and the staff expects Aminu Mohammed to join the class in December. This would explain why the staff has backed off on Blake Wesley out of South Bend. Additionally, the staff will be on the hunt for a grad transfer big after the upcoming season, with Trayce Jackson-Davis likely entering the draft, Joey Brunk graduating and avoiding relying on freshman Logan Duncomb to take the load of the minutes at the 5. Should these events play out, it would give Archie a full 12 scholarship players, which is something he has been desiring.

Until next time, fellow Hoosiers...

Thanks so much for the report, Mike. I love tidbits like this. Aminu coming is definitely new info.

What if Joey comes back for another year now that this one doesn't count for eligibility? Will be interesting.

I know I've been dark the last few months, but it's been for good reason. There simply hasn't been much going on in terms of recruiting due to COVID-19 outside of Zoom calls with prospects.

As you all know, I am connected to one individual within IU Athletics who has consistently been a good source of information as it pertains to Archie Miller's program.

The news I have received today relates to rounding out the 2021 class as well as the 2021-22 roster as a whole. Trey Kaufman is all but a formality at this point, and the staff expects Aminu Mohammed to join the class in December. This would explain why the staff has backed off on Blake Wesley out of South Bend. Additionally, the staff will be on the hunt for a grad transfer big after the upcoming season, with Trayce Jackson-Davis likely entering the draft, Joey Brunk graduating and avoiding relying on freshman Logan Duncomb to take the load of the minutes at the 5. Should these events play out, it would give Archie a full 12 scholarship players, which is something he has been desiring.

Thanks Mike.

Is it just a foregone conclusion that TJD is gone after this year, or any possible chance he might return? BTW - if all of wha you stated transpires, we'd still have one additional spot (13 schollys).

Thanks so much for the report, Mike. I love tidbits like this. Aminu coming is definitely new info.

What if Joey comes back for another year now that this one doesn't count for eligibility? Will be interesting.
I thought this year still counted since the B1G is playing?

Interesting thing, if it doesn't count...would you prefer Joey for a sixth year or pick up a Mason Miller?

If Brunk could get another year and would stay - that would be awesome. He would be a nice stop gap for a thin front court and very solid backup. I still think going after a top notch post would be a good idea.

Maybe Archie could induce him to stay another year by making him a player/coach (graduate assistant). A true coach on the floor coming in to pinch hit for Race and Trey (hopefully) and showing Logan the ropes.

If Brunk/Durham decide to stay for a fifth year, it would NOT count towards the 13 scholarship limit, Per the NCAA. All 11 players on the roster this year could stay for a fifth year, and that fifth year would not count towards the 13 man limit. In fact, Race could stay for a SIXTH year,since he redshirted as a frosh.

Reactions: 76-1 and MTBRider
If Brunk/Durham decide to stay for a fifth year, it would NOT count towards the 13 scholarship limit, Per the NCAA. All 11 players on the roster this year could stay for a fifth year, and that fifth year would not count towards the 13 man limit. In fact, Race could stay for a SIXTH year,since he redshirted as a frosh.
Good to know, thanks! Joey, lets get the PHD!

Reactions: kkott and 76-1

Questional credibility now, eh?

Reactions: HOOOOOOOOOSERZ

This "intel" played out really well.

Nobody should’ve ever listened to this guy. Pretty sure I remember him posting Kaufman had already silently committed to IU back when he had just went on a visit to Purdue on his own dime to watch the Purdue vs Michigan game.

What happened here, did you get played? This is one that I really wanted at IU.

What happened here, did you get played? This is one that I really wanted at IU.

How would he know? And really, at this point, does it really matter? However it came to be that he passed along false information, the only thing that matters is that TK is going to be a Boiler, not a Hoosier.

Purdue is benefitting from that Elite 8 run that Edwards carried them to. But if he doesn’t capitalize, this will all die off.

If Brunk could get another year and would stay - that would be awesome. He would be a nice stop gap for a thin front court and very solid backup. I still think going after a top notch post would be a good idea.

Maybe Archie could induce him to stay another year by making him a player/coach (graduate assistant). A true coach on the floor coming in to pinch hit for Race and Trey (hopefully) and showing Logan the ropes.
Player coach would be interesting. I did not know they did that in the Big Ten. If I were Brunk, however, I would only do that if I intended coaching as a career or needed another year to obtain additional free education. Brunk is plenty good to play in Europe

Good call brotha!

Nice call on kaufmann.

Reactions: Boilpotato

EF Hutton

Trey Kaufman all but a formality? I think you should take a look at your source again. His credibility is in question.

Either Archie didn’t find out until very recently that TK was going to Purdue or this “connection” from IU athletics to Archie isn’t really much more than friendly chatter.

Given the connected/social media world we’re in, I’m certain the staff is very tight-lipped when it comes to many things - especially recruiting.

Bumping this thread up, so we can hear from @MikeHoncho69 to get his side of the story, or to explain how his "connected" source from the athletic department could have been so wrong. I'm all ears and on the edge of my seat to hear this story.

Bumping this thread up, so we can hear from @MikeHoncho69 to get his side of the story, or to explain how his "connected" source from the athletic department could have been so wrong. I'm all ears and on the edge of my seat to hear this story.

He should have never been believed to begin with. His "source" was within the AD, and while they might know if there was a silent verbal, it's also easy to understand how someone could get the wrong info or misinterpret things. I felt (and said to his earlier posts) I'd feel better if his contact was from the Kaufman family or SC program. I am glad he shared what he heard, but it probably would have been better to present it as "this is the belief of someone within the AD", instead more of a "stone cold lock".

I just looked at rivals. There are many high ranked guys listed as undecided. Are we going after any? I dont pay and cannot go deeper into the rivals site.

Luke Brown, I presume. The 2A scoring machine who might break the Indiana HS scoring record while also not receiving any high major offers because he may also not be that good.

I think he's committed somewhere. I forget where, don't care to look.

Luke Brown, I presume. The 2A scoring machine who might break the Indiana HS scoring record while also not receiving any high major offers because he may also not be that good.

I think he's committed somewhere. I forget where, don't care to look.
That’s what I afraid of. Has he even been offered to have a change of heart?

I doubt it. The rule change on eligibility means technically we don't have a spot open, unless I misunderstood something.
We have 4 spots open (3 if you include Logan). We have 2 open scholarships this year and then Durham and Brunk would not count against the scholarship numbers next year. TJD is likely gone, and I doubt we pickup 3 guys between now and the start of next year.

ADVERTISEMENT