ADVERTISEMENT

School Days

When I was a young man living in Wright Quad, I made sure a lot of people heard this song.

Not exactly in the same vein, but fairly close...

I’ve gotten into vinyl (again). And the LP’s that stay on my turntable the most right now are early to mid 70’s Herbie Hancock. I THOUGHT I knew Herbie, and unfortunately, it was the song “rockit” in the early 80’s. The dude had a major jazz career in the late 50’s and 60’s, and took that spirit and translated into some really funky chit in the 70’s.

I’m blown away by albums like “headhunters” & “thrust”. Trying to track down a copy of “flood”.

For everyone’s listening pleasure, here’s those two albums.

BONUS: inspirations for “headhunters”:

https://thevinylfactory.com/feature...f-herbie-hancocks-head-hunters-in-10-records/

Enjoy!

Not exactly in the same vein, but fairly close...

I’ve gotten into vinyl (again). And the LP’s that stay on my turntable the most right now are early to mid 70’s Herbie Hancock. I THOUGHT I knew Herbie, and unfortunately, it was the song “rockit” in the early 80’s. The dude had a major jazz career in the late 50’s and 60’s, and took that spirit and translated into some really funky chit in the 70’s.

I’m blown away by albums like “headhunters” & “thrust”. Trying to track down a copy of “flood”.

For everyone’s listening pleasure, here’s those two albums.

BONUS: inspirations for “headhunters”:

https://thevinylfactory.com/feature...f-herbie-hancocks-head-hunters-in-10-records/

Enjoy!

Had a flashback to my college apartment @ Walnut Knolls.... had downloaded that Headhunters album from Napster (yeah) ... had 50+ ft of speaker wire tied into our Pioneer stereo in living room from my giant tower PC. The keg of cheap beer in the kegerator still had life, some old school bongs, and a couple ladies with a certain zest for living.... my roommate and I had a memorable evening.

Thanks for the memories.

Had a flashback to my college apartment @ Walnut Knolls.... had downloaded that Headhunters album from Napster (yeah) ... had 50+ ft of speaker wire tied into our Pioneer stereo in living room from my giant tower PC. The keg of cheap beer in the kegerator still had life, some old school bongs, and a couple ladies with a certain zest for living.... my roommate and I had a memorable evening.

Thanks for the memories.
Oh man, Walnut Knolls. I lived at Matlock. The Knolls was the wrong side of the track for us.

Reactions: twenty02
Oh man, Walnut Knolls. I lived at Matlock. The Knolls was the wrong side of the track for us.

Was such a shit hole filled with a combo of drunks and "fringe" people. Was a perfect place for me. Had such a great time those 2 years. Have friends to this day that were neighbors. Really a coming of age time.

Was such a shit hole filled with a combo of drunks and "fringe" people. Was a perfect place for me. Had such a great time those 2 years. Have friends to this day that were neighbors. Really a coming of age time.
One time we threw this big ass party. Lots of bad/fun shit that night. But the part I remember the most was some douchebag from the Knolls stole all our toilet paper and half of my blender. Just the pitcher. He didn't take the base. Just the pitcher. Who the f*ck needs just the pitcher from a blender?

Reactions: twenty02

I lived in the Knolls probably 20 years before you. If you happened to live in the same apartment, or even the same wing, you’re probably still testing positive for coke. Just sayin. o_O

One time we threw this big ass party. Lots of bad/fun shit that night. But the part I remember the most was some douchebag from the Knolls stole all our toilet paper and half of my blender. Just the pitcher. He didn't take the base. Just the pitcher. Who the f*ck needs just the pitcher from a blender?

Great beer vessel?

Saw some crazy nonsense in those prison yard setups with people tossing God knows what off the balconies. They eventually changed them after I was gone so the entrances were not off the courtyard sides, which ended the prison like experience... and it lost most of its appeal.

I lived in the Knolls probably 20 years before you. If you happened to live in the same apartment, or even the same wing, you’re probably still testing positive for coke. Just sayin. o_O

B BLOCK! 20!

Thanks for the memories.

Not quite the Villas

Then there's Songs in the Key of Life.

I recently got the special edition LP- they made so many, they’re relatively cheap for something this good. Now THAT is an all-time classic. Stevie had a run in the early to mid 70’s that I don’t think many, if any, musicians could ever match. Topping it off with this masterpiece.

For those that forgot, or think that Stevie’s music sounds mostly like “I just called to say, I love you”, you MUST check out the link above. he was another one that the 80’s ruined for me until later. It wasn’t until I heard “higher ground” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers that I really discovered Stevie.

Here’s links to his ridiculous run of albums:

1972- Talking Book

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-UWPlRIl68qvLSYF7t-NMpyZ0fFyMjO5

1973- Innervisions

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-UWPlRIl68r3pgPFEtpMQ3T4aF7xq8Hb

1974- Fulfillingness’s first finale

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl07mcHlzyi76tW_iP_CUF7Umq-twaeLP

and of course, concluding the run with Songs in the Key of Life in 1976 (link above).

There are weeks where I want to listen to only Stevie or Herbie Hancock these days. Thankfully, my wife loves them both also.

Thanks for the memories.

We had the biggest party ever at Walnut Knolls during the blizzard of 1978.

Thanks for the memories.

I’m really happy we didn’t have Napster or fast internet when I was at IU. I probably wouldn’t have graduated.

I used to have a dream that whatever music I wanted I could have, instantly. That’s largely true now between digital files and streaming. I now have a Plex server setup to fill in the gaps. Mostly live shows that I’ve collected over the years. From long gone sites like sharingthegroove.org. I hammered that one before hackers ultimately ruined it. Terabytes of music resides on that plex server. Stuff I just haven’t been able to find anywhere else.

BTW, does anyone know of a current analog to sharingthegroove.org? Once it went away, it became a lot harder to find live shows. I do visit the archive (archive.org), but there’s got to be another one somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT