ADVERTISEMENT

Saw this post on the Iowa Rivals football forum.....

eddy4iu

Sep 4, 2001
Title of the post is "Spoke with an Indiana coach"

In Dallas this weekend while at the rooftop pool of hotel. Got to talking about the first game, the Hawks, and just college football climate in general.

He said they envy Iowa football over there because their style is "so damn simple but very complicated at the same time". Brought up Fant & Hockenson right away in that they were a nightmare combo for them. Mentioned that they were currently hard scouting on "15, dude is league soon". Mad respect for Kirk & program, then that they are hoping for the best; I reiterated same thing that Indiana is going to be a tough game for Iowa.

He didn't like the idea of early conference games, or the Friday games. Need non con prep for brutal league and Friday's are for HS.

Recruiting is a crazy world with a lot of hand holding - not like it used to be when you were brought in and dogged every day to the brink of quitting. Told of a player recently having a big surgery and he had to be there for the player for whatever he needed because the parents weren't interested.

In regards to Juan Harris, pretty much what we already knew, I'll leave it at that.

For Iowa game, again, nervous and they don't expect to stop anyone, just score a ton of points. Basically, it's up to their d-line play if they want to stop the run or not.

In Dallas this weekend while at the rooftop pool of hotel. Got to talking about the first game, the Hawks, and just college football climate in general.

He said they envy Iowa football over there because their style is "so damn simple but very complicated at the same time". Brought up Fant & Hockenson right away in that they were a nightmare combo for them. Mentioned that they were currently hard scouting on "15, dude is league soon". Mad respect for Kirk & program, then that they are hoping for the best; I reiterated same thing that Indiana is going to be a tough game for Iowa.

He didn't like the idea of early conference games, or the Friday games. Need non con prep for brutal league and Friday's are for HS.

Recruiting is a crazy world with a lot of hand holding - not like it used to be when you were brought in and dogged every day to the brink of quitting. Told of a player recently having a big surgery and he had to be there for the player for whatever he needed because the parents weren't interested.

In regards to Juan Harris, pretty much what we already knew, I'll leave it at that.

For Iowa game, again, nervous and they don't expect to stop anyone, just score a ton of points. Basically, it's up to their d-line play if they want to stop the run or not.
Who knows if this is factual or not but if it is and if CTA knew who the coach is who "doesn't expect to stop anyone" he'd for sure tell the coach to stay off the bus!

"Doesn't expect to stop anyone" sounds like a nice way to stay away from a real discussion. Pay respects to a fan by the pool and move on. Great strategy. Have another drink with an umbrella. I'm confident our coaches aren't spilling the strategy beans by the pool. Love the interface. Pretty cool. Go Hoosiers!
Let's go with that explanation!

i highly doubt our strategy is score more points than the other team.

That doesn't sound legit. We have pretty much everyone returning from a pretty good defense and some good transfers to fill departures on the DL.

That doesn't sound legit. We have pretty much everyone returning from a pretty good defense and some good transfers to fill departures on the DL.

Ohio State was held to 22 points by Northwestern and 24 points by Alabama. Very good defenses.

Indiana lost 42-35 at Ohio State.

The Indiana at Iowa game will be a very good one. The last time we witnessed this opener, it was 1980 in Bloomington.

Iowa was coming off 18 non-winning seasons and would have their 19th non-winning season in 1980. The Hawkeyes did pull out the W.

Iowa lost at Purdue 24-20. Opened 0-2, then won 6 straight.

It is now a 22 game streak, after holding Wisconsin to 7 points in the 28-7 win at Kinnick Stadium to close 2021 at 6-2.

Told of a player recently having a big surgery and he had to be there for the player for whatever he needed because the parents weren't interested.

Wow. Depressing at a lot of levels.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Told of a player recently having a big surgery and he had to be there for the player for whatever he needed because the parents weren't interested.

If that is indeed true, goes to show the care our coaches have for the players and its not just lip service.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

If true, seems like that would narrow it down for allen to figure out who said it.

I bet the post on iowa board is just bs.

I've been over there chatting it up with the Iowa board.

The guy that started the tread walked back the comment that the mystery coach said we couldn't stop anyone and says the coach said we'll have trouble with the run, which we're not as proven up the middle with the lose of Jerome but still return Sio and DMac but the backups being Person and Kramer don't have a ton of B1G experience.

Most have actually been complementary of us and the OP said the coach in question actually he thinks our secondary and backers are rock solid, which obviously, we all agree with.

The OP may have talked to a coach of ours, but our coach didn't say our d was gonna be shaky at all.

Ohio State was held to 22 points by Northwestern and 24 points by Alabama. Very good defenses.

The Indiana at Iowa game will be a very good one. The last time we witnessed this opener, it was 1980 in Bloomington.

Iowa was coming off 18 non-winning seasons and would have their 19th non-winning season in 1980. The Hawkeyes did pull out the W.

It is now a 22 game streak, after holding Wisconsin to 7 points in the 28-7 win at Kinnick Stadium to close 2021 at 6-2.

You can argue these things till the cows come home and not get anywhere but here I go anyway. OSU had a covid bye before we played them. They had at least 10 days to work on us. Yes we gave up too many points in the first half. The second half they scored on their first drive and never scored again aside from a pick 6. Bama also gave up like 50 to Ole Miss.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I say let them talk,they will find out in a couple months.
They had one posters say they will put up 45 points on us.They MAY win but they’re not scoring 45….not happening.
That's a ridiculous statement by that guy. Iowa has scored 45+ three times in the last two years.
I have a lot of respect for their program but I would be stunned if they did that against our D in week 1.

I've been over there chatting it up with the Iowa board.

The guy that started the tread walked back the comment that the mystery coach said we couldn't stop anyone and says the coach said we'll have trouble with the run, which we're not as proven up the middle with the lose of Jerome but still return Sio and DMac but the backups being Person and Kramer don't have a ton of B1G experience.

Most have actually been complementary of us and the OP said the coach in question actually he thinks our secondary and backers are rock solid, which obviously, we all agree with.

The OP may have talked to a coach of ours, but our coach didn't say our d was gonna be shaky at all.
I think the Iowa Indiana game will be in the 20's on both sides. I also don't think a lot of the Iowa fans on the Iowa board realize that Indiana can play good defense. Being the first game for both teams, I would expect mistakes on both sides, which usually seem to effect the offenses more, so that is why I see a game in the 20's. And yes, we have good posters on the Iowa board, and some I would be ashamed to quote, but when I go to other team boards, I just like to talk football, and try and be respectful since I am the guest there. To be honest, I have come here the past couple seasons before Iowa and Indiana play, and you guys have always been very respectful. Like I have said before, I wish you guys a great season, just not some much in game one. LOL Take care. BTW, I would love to see both Indiana and Iowa matched up in Indy.

I think the Iowa Indiana game will be in the 20's on both sides. I also don't think a lot of the Iowa fans on the Iowa board realize that Indiana can play good defense. Being the first game for both teams, I would expect mistakes on both sides, which usually seem to effect the offenses more, so that is why I see a game in the 20's. And yes, we have good posters on the Iowa board, and some I would be ashamed to quote, but when I go to other team boards, I just like to talk football, and try and be respectful since I am the guest there. To be honest, I have come here the past couple seasons before Iowa and Indiana play, and you guys have always been very respectful. Like I have said before, I wish you guys a great season, just not some much in game one. LOL Take care. BTW, I would love to see both Indiana and Iowa matched up in Indy.
Hey all these fan sites have their ‘homers’.Thanks for the rational, thought out response.
This game could go either way but if Iowa scores 45 points I’ll eat a big piece of humble pie😉

Hey all these fan sites have their ‘homers’.Thanks for the rational, thought out response.
This game could go either way but if Iowa scores 45 points I’ll eat a big piece of humble pie😉
Me to....LOL But Iowa did score 35 once and over 40 twice last year. 35 on Minnesota. 41 on Penn State and 49 on Michigan State. I'll start baking the pie. LOL, of course, I can't cook. LOL

Reactions: CC Mac
Question: This has nothing to do with the Iowa Indiana game, but do you guys have another fan base that basically troll each other to the point where you can never have a civilized football discussion? Example, Iowa and Nebraska, you can never have a good football discussion because we have so many people on both sides that constantly troll the others board, so it is always automatically disrespectful between the two fan bases. Even the Iowa vs Iowa State boards are not nearly as disrespectful towards the other, and they dislike each other. Just curious

Does Indiana allow more than 24 points and does Iowa make it 23 games on September 4th?

Does Indiana allow more than 24 points and does Iowa make it 23 games on September 4th?
You can stay up all night comparing scores,every game has circumstances that change the outcome of the game.
I’m just ready for some football with a stadium full of fans.

That's a ridiculous statement by that guy. Iowa has scored 45+ three times in the last two years.
I have a lot of respect for their program but I would be stunned if they did that against our D in week 1.

Ditto that.

Iowa's all-Big Ten punter kicked for the first time on a football field in a game last year.

It will be interesting to see how the special teams impact Week 1.

Your New Zealand punter will hopefully have a full house. It will be first full house for Iowa's second year Australian punter.

42-16 last game played, back in Bloomington in 2018.

Indiana has more returning players. Iowa had a huge number of players, many juniors, who just completed their first spring practice in college.

Reactions: Andy06
Ditto that.

Iowa's all-Big Ten punter kicked for the first time on a football field in a game last year.

It will be interesting to see how the special teams impact Week 1.

Your New Zealand punter will hopefully have a full house. It will be first full house for Iowa's second year Australian punter.

42-16 last game played, back in Bloomington in 2018.

Indiana has more returning players. Iowa had a huge number of players, many juniors, who just completed their first spring practice in college.
I am excited for the matchup. It should be a great game. I am just tired of our crossover consisting of Iowa or Wisconsin.
It's been one or the other every year except for one since the realignment.

I am excited for the matchup. It should be a great game. I am just tired of our crossover consisting of Iowa or Wisconsin.
It's been one or the other every year except for one since the realignment.

Indiana vs. Purdue leads to that situation.

Iowa is playing Maryland and Indiana this year. Just like 2018.

With the new Playoff on the horizon, a question out there, will divisions go away in the Big Ten?

9 or 8 games?

I'm looking for a game like Wisky on the road last year. Iowa doesn't beat themselves. We'll have to win it. They won't give it away. What a way to start the season. I'm very glad IU is in a better football place. Nice to see a chance for a win verses conference fodder. They'll be ready. Hope we are too. Go Hoosiers!
Oh we’ll be ready,I just hope not ‘too’ ready.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I'm looking for a game like Wisky on the road last year. Iowa doesn't beat themselves. We'll have to win it. They won't give it away. What a way to start the season. I'm very glad IU is in a better football place. Nice to see a chance for a win verses conference fodder. They'll be ready. Hope we are too. Go Hoosiers!
Iowa doesn't usually beat themselves, but when they do, it is usually the first couple games of the year, like last year when they made to many mistakes against Purdue and NW, and lost them both. Then they usually clean things up. Fortunately in the past, the first two games were non conference tune up games, now they don't have that luxury as two of the first three are against ranked opponents.

Iowa doesn't usually beat themselves, but when they do, it is usually the first couple games of the year, like last year when they made to many mistakes against Purdue and NW, and lost them both. Then they usually clean things up. Fortunately in the past, the first two games were non conference tune up games, now they don't have that luxury as two of the first three are against ranked opponents.

2020 is a poor example.

Bad habits, no spring and the Big Ten indicated the season was moved to the spring.

Turns out, football in a pandemic can be played, but Iowa wasn't 100% out of the gate.

Missing two key LBs and Petras wasn't in sync. Frankly, neither were some of his teammates.

17-0 and lose 21-20 at home in game 2. Hats off to Northwestern!

No sh*t. Why can’t we ever play Illinois? I’d love to give Bielema a beatdown. Or Scott Frost in Bloomington?
Good post. I miss the Illini. Border war. My next favorite game after Purdue. Used to be lots of conversations in Southern Indiana and Southern Illinois. Now not so much thanks to the B1G leaders. I'm old school B1G, class of 84. I like the new additions. I truly do but I want to play Illinois regularly. Don't care about Nebraska except Frost called us out a few years ago so I do enjoy beating his ass. Go Hoosiers!

No sh*t. Why can’t we ever play Illinois? I’d love to give Bielema a beatdown. Or Scott Frost in Bloomington?
If Frost doesn't have a winning season and get to a bowl game, I don't know how Nebraska can keep him. Any coach worth their weight has the team turned around by year 3, and Frost is going into his 5th year and has averaged #20 nationally in recruiting in his tenure. In fact, I researched it a few weeks ago for another post when I saw that Athlon had predicted I think 10 Indiana players all big, and only 6 for Nebraska, and Indiana has averaged I believe somewhere close to #50 in recruiting rankings in that same time frame. What does that tell me? Frost can recruit on Nebraska's name, but obviously cannot develop players, where Tom Allen can obviously coach and develop players. I would take Allen every day of the week over Frost.

If Frost doesn't have a winning season and get to a bowl game, I don't know how Nebraska can keep him. Any coach worth their weight has the team turned around by year 3, and Frost is going into his 5th year and has averaged #20 nationally in recruiting in his tenure. In fact, I researched it a few weeks ago for another post when I saw that Athlon had predicted I think 10 Indiana players all big, and only 6 for Nebraska, and Indiana has averaged I believe somewhere close to #50 in recruiting rankings in that same time frame. What does that tell me? Frost can recruit on Nebraska's name, but obviously cannot develop players, where Tom Allen can obviously coach and develop players. I would take Allen every day of the week over Frost.

Frost is the 2nd most overrated coach on the planet... (it's a solid tie for #1 between Brohmardi at pu & Kelly at ND [Notre Dame has the tiebreaker scheduled at their place on 9/18 {just like Kelly to make sure it's a Home game} 😉...

Frost is the 2nd most overrated coach on the planet... (it's a solid tie for #1 between Brohmardi at pu & Kelly at ND [Notre Dame has the tiebreaker scheduled at their place on 9/18 {just like Kelly to make sure it's a Home game} 😉...
I cannot speak of Brohm since he has done well versus Iowa, much to my dismay. LOL That is one game that Iowa for some reason since Brohm has been there beats themselves. However, I hope Nebraska keeps Frost, because Iowa is undefeated against him, and I would hate to see him go for a real coach that can utilize that top 20 recruiting talent. ;)

Indiana vs. Purdue leads to that situation.

Iowa is playing Maryland and Indiana this year. Just like 2018.

With the new Playoff on the horizon, a question out there, will divisions go away in the Big Ten?

9 or 8 games?
Leaders and legends. Let that sink in as if it hasn't already. What a bunch of pompous asses that were shaping the redirection of Big Ten football.

I have long hated the divisions. Not just because IU plays in the top heavy east, but because I want to play other league members like Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa more than every 4-5 years.

When IU last played the Gophers in ‘18, that was IU’s first trip there in 10 years and first game period in 5!!

The Illini haven’t been to IU since ‘13 and IU has played them once over there since. Ridiculous!!

I think 8 games, consisting of 3 protected rivals yearly, then 2 years of home/home vs 5 teams years 1 and 2; then you play the 5 others home/home In the 3rd/4th years. The math works. Just a matter of hashing out who each schools 3 protected rivals are.

I have long hated the divisions. Not just because IU plays in the top heavy east, but because I want to play other league members like Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa more than every 4-5 years.

When IU last played the Gophers in ‘18, that was IU’s first trip there in 10 years and first game period in 5!!

The Illini haven’t been to IU since ‘13 and IU has played them once over there since. Ridiculous!!

I think 8 games, consisting of 3 protected rivals yearly, then 2 years of home/home vs 5 teams years 1 and 2; then you play the 5 others home/home In the 3rd/4th years. The math works. Just a matter of hashing out who each schools 3 protected rivals are.
And what if Illinois is our protected rival but we aren't theirs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT