ADVERTISEMENT

Saw a post from Btown Banners

Any exit plan will be very complicated. Boston will not want a negative perception from this at all. They will want to have a transition plan of their own in place and perhaps even put forth the notion that this was their plan all along.

Huge egos involved here, and how this plays out will effect the financial retributions resulting from the contract buy out. Offend or insult Boston’s ego, and be prepared for costly, bumpy transition if at all. Letting Boston get their shit together and carefully craft the press statements takes time. I’m suspecting everyone involved feels like they have a few weeks to work it out.

This can’t go much past final four weekend or IU will need to move on.
Well put and makes total sense!

the NBA does not operate that way. It is by nature a revolving door business.

Okay? But what does that have to do with Ainge trying to sabotage our Adidas deal? I was pointing out how preposterous that notion was, not making a case for the longevity of NBA contracts.

Something in the back of my head... What's is Ainge's reach in the world of basketball? If you piss him off can he pull strings with Adidas, Nike, AAU? Is he petty? I don't know the answers but he's been the GM there since 2003. He's got pull in that job and around hoops.
BYU guy - must be a nice, patient man of character.

Yeah like Stevens was a real option and the choice was between keeping Arch (when we were safely in the tourney and ranked around 25th in Ken Pom) or Stevens.

There's no one that would agree to keep Archie over Stevens.

That's why Stevens is such a huge deal. He's the guy who almost universally is accepted by the fan base. He's an Indiana HS guy who grew up idolizing Coach Knight.

So the ex players will be elated, the 'I just want the best basketball mind' will be elated and the 'we need a home run hire' will be elated, especially now that Brad isn't coming from Buter, he's got years of NBA experience.

So for at least three years this program and its fan base would be guaranteed united again.

That's the awesomeness of a Stevens hire.
Here they come the ARchie Apologists that told all us whining little babies to stop complaining.

Yeah like Stevens was a real option and the choice was between keeping Arch (when we were safely in the tourney and ranked around 25th in Ken Pom) or Stevens.

That's why Stevens is such a huge deal. He's the guy who almost universally is accepted by the fan base. He's an Indiana HS guy who grew up idolizing Coach Knight.

So the ex players will be elated, the 'I just want the best basketball mind' will be elated and the 'we need a home run hire' will be elated, especially now that Brad isn't coming from Buter, he's got years of NBA experience.

So for at least three years this program and its fan base would be guaranteed united again.

You thought we were really that good #25 in KenPom? Really.

Victor is right though that Archie still had way more support and defenders than he deserved after last season. And, yeah, we did hear about Coach K and Kenpom and all kinds of other nonsense to defend the indefensible.

Archie was bad from day one. But he never should’ve survived last season.

The breakdown of what a coach thinks their likelihood of taking a job is vs their public statements is something like

0% - "No"
50% - "No"
99% - "No"
100% but contract not yet signed - "Maybe"
0% but looking for more money from current job - "Maybe"
Actually signed contract - radio silence while they get their affairs in order

Breakdown of what fans think about their preferred coach taking the job:

the coach has geographical ties or his grandma lives in the area: "25%"
"no", "i am not leaving", "I haven't talked to anybody there": 50%
silence, no real words from the coach about the job: "90%"
"a guy on another board with intel says it's just finalizing the details:"100%"

;)

Boy, I hope it's a hell of a lot longer than three years . . .

(I get your point, but I see Stevens being given a lot more latitude, although I don't the scenario even happening. )

Victor is right though that Archie still had way more support and defenders than he deserved after last season. And, yeah, we did hear about Coach K and Kenpom and all kinds of other nonsense to defend the indefensible.

Archie was bad from day one. But he never should’ve survived last season.
There is one poster here that actually pointed out the ever small improvements in Archie's Ken Pom ratings from year 1.............UNREAL

Stevens obviously knows all of this smoke has been out there for 3 days. He could kill it all in a minute. Easily. That’s why national media that initially came out laughing at IU fans has stopped laughing. Because there is serious smoke.
When he said he wasn’t going to IU, it didn’t kill it. What else should he do?

When he said he wasn’t going to IU, it didn’t kill it. What else should he do?
To anyone but you, it’s obvious. Come out right now and say “under no circumstances is he interested in the IU job”. I’m not saying he is coming to IU. But he might.
You established your position 3 days ago based upon his “I am not” comment on a radio show. And you are stubbornly refusing to acknowledge now that there is any chance he is coming. Don’t know if you are an IU fan or not, but you are rooting against it now so you can say you were right. Now you just look stubborn and silly.

From Chris 007 over there (from what other posters here have said, he's a pretty credible source) that we had been in contact with Brad's agent for a month trying to work out what it would take to bring him here. Chris said that what we would have to offer contractually is a done deal and now it's just waiting for a decision.

So, his wife?

He’s obviously been offered and is thinking about it.

There is no question that Stevens has been offered the IU job. Dolson would have to be the most inept AD on the planet to have not done this. The only thing that is unknown is the level of interest from Stevens and the relative likelihood of his acceptance. People have spent the last three days telling us that the deal is done and announcements are imminent. Obviously, wrong. That said, he might end up here. But a lot of people had the horses far out front of the carts.

He’s obviously been offered and is thinking about it.

Also, most accounts of denials of Stevens interest appear to be coming from Jeff Goodman, everyone including Boston media are citing Goodman’s tweets as their source of info. To me that’s a good sign for IU, the Celtics want to want to claim they are blindsided if Stevens does leave for damage control and are passing info through a national guy so they aren’t straight up lying to local media

Reactions: 76-1
Here’s what he said I’m not taking the Indiana job RIGHT NOW! I have a job to do blah blah blah....

There is no question that Stevens has been offered the IU job. Dolson would have to be the most inept AD on the planet to have not done this. The only thing that is unknown is the level of interest from Stevens and the relative likelihood of his acceptance. People have spent the last three days telling us that the deal is done and announcements are imminent. Obviously, wrong. That said, he might end up here. But a lot of people had the horses far out front of the carts.
Nailed it.

You thought you hated Duke when they had Christian Lander wait till they get Brad Stevens in bout 4 years

Well, if he's been offered a solid deal and declined it for some reason, maybe he isn't in a mind state to take on our problems. The Celtics look a whole lot more fixable that we are now
If Scott made an offer Brad couldn't refuse, and he still refused, then respect to both parties. Next...

Reactions: brianiu
To anyone but you, it’s obvious. Come out right now and say “under no circumstances is he interested in the IU job”. I’m not saying he is coming to IU. But he might.
You established your position 3 days ago based upon his “I am not” comment on a radio show. And you are stubbornly refusing to acknowledge now that there is any chance he is coming. Don’t know if you are an IU fan or not, but you are rooting against it now so you can say you were right. Now you just look stubborn and silly.
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT