ADVERTISEMENT

Saw a post from Btown Banners

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
From Chris 007 over there (from what other posters here have said, he's a pretty credible source) that we had been in contact with Brad's agent for a month trying to work out what it would take to bring him here. Chris said that what we would have to offer contractually is a done deal and now it's just waiting for a decision.

• Wow
Reactions: Radio Zero
From Chris 007 over there (from what other posters here have said, he's a pretty credible source) that we had been in contact with Brad's agent for a month trying to work out what it would take to bring him here. Chris said that what we would have to offer contractually is a done deal and now it's just waiting for a decision.
Not trying to shoot the messenger but if IU met their demands why the wait?

Maybe just semantics, but important to note that Brad's agent = Brad's wife (she's a lawyer that has managed/negotiated all his contracts)

And why come out and publicly say you’re not going there?
Because he hadn’t decided whether he wanted to or not yet? What else was he supposed to say? If your boss said, “hey I heard these rumors that you were looking at other companies”, would you admit it, or deny it? It would be idiotic to admit it if you hadn’t decided.

Reactions: Haulerinthere
The breakdown of what a coach thinks their likelihood of taking a job is vs their public statements is something like

0% - "No"
50% - "No"
99% - "No"
100% but contract not yet signed - "Maybe"
0% but looking for more money from current job - "Maybe"
Actually signed contract - radio silence while they get their affairs in order

Last edited:
Because he hadn’t decided whether he wanted to or not yet? What else was he supposed to say? If your boss said, “hey I heard these rumors that you were looking at other companies”, would you admit it, or deny it? It would be idiotic to admit it if you hadn’t decided.
It wasn’t his boss who asked the question. One would hope Stevens had enough awareness to understand that the question would be posed (especially if there had been ongoing discussions, as some are alleging). There was a way to issue a non-denial / coach doublespeak response, but he chose to be much more definitive. Why do you think he would do that, even if he was unsure of his next step? Don’t you believe he is a little more savvy than that? He’s not some neophyte who lacks worldliness, but you’re “defending” a response that would be widely viewed as unsophisticated and misleading, at best. Smart guys would never put themselves in that spot, so I don’t believe Stevens would, either.

It wasn’t his boss who asked the question. One would hope Stevens had enough awareness to understand that the question would be posed (especially if there had been ongoing discussions, as some are alleging). There was a way to issue a non-denial / coach doublespeak response, but he chose to be much more definitive. Why do you think he would do that, even if he was unsure of his next step? Don’t you believe he is a little more savvy than that? He’s not some neophyte who lacks worldliness, but you’re “defending” a response that would be widely viewed as unsophisticated and misleading, at best. Smart guys would never put themselves in that spot, so I don’t believe Stevens would, either.
He said what all coaches say in the exact same situation. See Saban and Roy Williams comments in similar situation. I’m sure you will be here to tell us that Brad is a liar when he becomes IU’s next coach.

He said what all coaches say in the exact same situation. See Saban and Roy Williams comments in similar situation. I’m sure you will be here to tell us that Brad is a liar when he becomes IU’s next coach.
No, he didn’t. You’re trying to shape this in order to get to a desired outcome, which I understand, but not all coaches deny they’re going when they’re actively engaged in or considering a move.

I’m not referring to you but the situation in general when I say it’s all a bit hard for me to believe. I’m not talking to any of the boosters I know as they are no doubt being bombarded with questions by everyone and I don’t want to pile on. They probably don’t know anyways as they aren’t boosters who donate millions but they are in the tens of thousands to low hundred thousands in donations. Anyways, I have a hard time believing that it’s either a done deal or damn near a done deal and it hasn’t gotten out to every media outlet in Boston or Indiana by now. Four or five days is an eternity for a secret like that to be kept. That’s gotta be a world record if it’s all true.

Anyways, I have a hard time believing that it’s either a done deal or damn near a done deal and it hasn’t gotten out to every media outlet in Boston or Indiana by now. Four or five days is an eternity for a secret like that to be kept. That’s gotta be a world record if it’s all true.

Well, in this case, everyone involved does have a solid reason to keep a lid on it if it's true. Think about it. Ainge needs time to maneuver and make this look good from the Celtics perspective, and the Boston and national media for days treated this possibility as so unlikely as to be funny. On the other hand, Indiana may lose out and need to find a different coach, so having this play out publicly doesn't help with perception if we were to end up with, say, Beilein.

Reactions: mustard_
Not trying to shoot the messenger but if IU met their demands why the wait?

Any exit plan will be very complicated. Boston will not want a negative perception from this at all. They will want to have a transition plan of their own in place and perhaps even put forth the notion that this was their plan all along.

Huge egos involved here, and how this plays out will effect the financial retributions resulting from the contract buy out. Offend or insult Boston’s ego, and be prepared for costly, bumpy transition if at all. Letting Boston get their shit together and carefully craft the press statements takes time. I’m suspecting everyone involved feels like they have a few weeks to work it out.

This can’t go much past final four weekend or IU will need to move on.

so this DePauw guy will drag it out, hemming and hawing, then all of IU's other options will sign extensions or go with other programs, then the DePauw guy will say no, and IU will be holding the bag looking foolish.

• Sad
Reactions: 76-1
Any exit plan will be very complicated. Boston will not want a negative perception from this at all. They will want to have a transition plan of their own in place and perhaps even put forth the notion that this was their plan all along.

Huge egos involved here, and how this plays out will effect the financial retributions resulting from the contract buy out. Offend or insult Boston’s ego, and be prepared for costly, bumpy transition if at all. Letting Boston get their shit together and carefully craft the press statements takes time. I’m suspecting everyone involved feels like they have a few weeks to work it out.

This can’t go much past final four weekend or IU will need to move on.
Something in the back of my head... What's is Ainge's reach in the world of basketball? If you piss him off can he pull strings with Adidas, Nike, AAU? Is he petty? I don't know the answers but he's been the GM there since 2003. He's got pull in that job and around hoops.

so this DePauw guy will drag it out, hemming and hawing, then all of IU's other options will sign extensions or go with other programs, then the DePauw guy will say no, and IU will be holding the bag looking foolish.

You can't talk to the other guys yet anyway. What's the rush?

Stevens obviously knows all of this smoke has been out there for 3 days. He could kill it all in a minute. Easily. That’s why national media that initially came out laughing at IU fans has stopped laughing. Because there is serious smoke.

Something in the back of my head... What's is Ainge's reach in the world of basketball? If you piss him off can he pull strings with Adidas, Nike, AAU? Is he petty? I don't know the answers but he's been the GM there since 2003. He's got pull in that job and around hoops.

No way Ainge has that kind of pull, nor the stones to enter into the massive lawsuit that would result from a stunt like that. He’s not stupid, if this becomes messy it will be a PR nightmare for all parties. It won’t though

IU has check all the boxes for "How do I screw up a coaching hire"? If now, somehow, they manage to get this one right....the 20 year wait will still have been worth it. If its Stevens, there's an added bonus....Duke will be butthurt. Just thought I would throw that in because it seems like the right thing to do.

No way Ainge has that kind of pull, nor the stones to enter into the massive lawsuit that would result from a stunt like that. He’s not stupid, if this becomes messy it will be a PR nightmare for all parties. It won’t though
the NBA does not operate that way. It is by nature a revolving door business.

There are Archie Apologists?

That guys is just silly. Every IU fan would be for the buyout if they can get Coach Stevens. Almost every post talking about Coach Miller getting another year was about the buyout and not faith that he could turn it around.

That guys is just silly. Every IU fan would be for the buyout if they can get Coach Stevens. Almost every post talking about Coach Miller getting another year was about the buyout and not faith that he could turn it around.
That's A COMPLETE LIE there were some on here, myself included that said 3 years was enough, we were told, "look how long it took Beilen to win, look how long it took Tony Bennet to win, or ARchie doesn't even have his own players yet, or the shooters coming in will turn it around, would you like me to pull up some archives for you.

That's A COMPLETE LIE there were some on here, myself included that said 3 years was enough, we were told, "look how long it took Beilen to win, look how long it took Tony Bennet to win, or ARchie doesn't even have his own players yet, or the shooters coming in will turn it around, would you like me to pull up some archives for you.

Point taken but not a lie. Yet another emotional overreaction by you.

I assumed you were talking about this season. My apologies for not reading between the lines of your post and understanding that you meant apologists from more than a year ago.

Still doesn’t change the fact that everyone would have been on board with buying Coach Miller out any year of his contract if they could land Coach Stevens.

Most didn’t want a reset at year 3 for another up and coming coach. Pretty sure all of us would have pulled the trigger for Coach Stevens though.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Its what Millennials do these days called Cancel Culture.......bunch of little pansies.

Cancel culture is yet another lamebrained Trumpism. Like fake news and all the other BS words used by people who can't accept people under 50 are sick of the assholishness displayed by Boomers.

Reactions: MIS01 and IUgradman
Cancel culture is yet another lamebrained Trumpism. Like fake news and all the other BS words used by people who can't accept people under 50 are sick of the assholishness displayed by Boomers.
You have not paid enough tax’s to get the privilege of being an asshole!

Yeah like Stevens was a real option and the choice was between keeping Arch (when we were safely in the tourney and ranked around 25th in Ken Pom) or Stevens.

There's no one that would agree to keep Archie over Stevens.

That's why Stevens is such a huge deal. He's the guy who almost universally is accepted by the fan base. He's an Indiana HS guy who grew up idolizing Coach Knight.

So the ex players will be elated, the 'I just want the best basketball mind' will be elated and the 'we need a home run hire' will be elated, especially now that Brad isn't coming from Buter, he's got years of NBA experience.

So for at least three years this program and its fan base would be guaranteed united again.

That's the awesomeness of a Stevens hire.

Excellent take and spot on!
Yeah like Stevens was a real option and the choice was between keeping Arch (when we were safely in the tourney and ranked around 25th in Ken Pom) or Stevens.

There's no one that would agree to keep Archie over Stevens.

That's why Stevens is such a huge deal. He's the guy who almost universally is accepted by the fan base. He's an Indiana HS guy who grew up idolizing Coach Knight.

So the ex players will be elated, the 'I just want the best basketball mind' will be elated and the 'we need a home run hire' will be elated, especially now that Brad isn't coming from Buter, he's got years of NBA experience.

So for at least three years this program and its fan base would be guaranteed united again.

That's the awesomeness of a Stevens hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT