ADVERTISEMENT

Savannah GA?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Any of you schmucks been? Noteworthy restaurants, bars, museums or other entertainment options?

Any of you schmucks been? Noteworthy restaurants, bars, museums or other entertainment options?
Many many years ago for a conference. It was gawd-awful hot, though...so we didn't get out much. I remember the food being incredible...but don't remember any of the names. That was when I cared more about going out partying than hitting fine dining and museums and tours.

I remember going to some seafood places that were REALLY good & not expensive, but offhand after 20 years I don't recall their names.

Perfect, just the kind of help I was looking for! Well, who's the schmuck? I did ask for help on the AOTF! Maybe I'll just go to Evansville instead!

They have nice people and nice parks
giphy.gif

The founder of the Girl Scouts was from there, or lived there, or died there
Had a pink house with a good restaurant
Played golf at The Club at Savannah
I swear i think I got heat stroke - which could explain a lot

Reactions: kkott
Our daughter lived there for a few years and our favorite place to eat was Vinnie van go gos. Great pizza. Lots of great restaurants though.

I am not into touristy stuff, but do the trolly tour. Do the one where you can get off and on whenever, stop at Forsyth and just walk around. Walk around in general at the stops. The riverfront is very touristy, but it is cool. the fort on Tybee is very interesting. I don't care where you eat.

They have nice people and nice parks
giphy.gif

The founder of the Girl Scouts was from there, or lived there, or died there
Had a pink house with a good restaurant
Played golf at The Club at Savannah
I swear i think I got heat stroke - which could explain a lot

Yeah, that's on my list of possible dining spots. I think it might just be called The Olde Pink House. I hope to hit at least 1 pink spot while there!

It is just one of those towns that's hot as blazes. Savannah, Atlanta, New Orleans, Columbia, SC, Charleston... what they lack in heat (nothing!), they make up for with the humidity! I'm sure there are some cities in FL and TX that take a back seat to no one with heat, but you kind of expect that.

Is there a gatti’s pizza there?
Little Ceasars

Last time I had that rottage was as a poor Bloomington student. Tons of bad pizza and surprisingly half decent (if you're REALLY hungry) crazy bread, for a small amount of change that could maybe be found in your couch.

SopeJr#2 just moved back to the ATL from Savannah last fall. We were down there twice in 2019, once for the birth of granddaughter #4, and once to see SopeJr#2 while his bride was in the ATL for a wedding.

Savannah is beastly hot during the summer, which runs pretty much from May through October there. Right now - at 12:49 pm on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - it's 91 degrees with a heat index of 104 and going up.

Savannah's best feature is its walkability, and the best places to walk are in its many city squares, the most notable of which is Forsyth Park. If you walk from the downtown commercial district to and around Forsyth Park, you'll see a good bit of very old Savannah, plus some green space. If you go there during the summer (see above), walk in the morning . . . .

Restaurants: Bella's for Italian food is spectacularly good. Cotton & Rye is a very good place to eat dinner, as is The Ordinary. Both have good bars too . . . although the best bar to go to, according to MrsSope (who is of Irish descent, after all) is The Alley Cat Lounge. For breakfast, B. Matthews is quite good, and The Collins Quarter has a great reputation (I've never eaten there because the lines were always too long to wait to get in). There are tons of good places to eat in Savannah . . . .

All that's for Savannah proper. There are lots of local areas to think about near Savannah. Tybee Island is one . . . almost all of the food on Tybee has a theme to it, and that is that its best feature is that it's located on Tybee. If I had to eat on Tybee I'd start with the Sundae Cafe.

If you're on Whitmarsh Island, try Papa's Bar-be-cue and Seafood or Wiley's Championship BBQ.

BTW, if you make it to Savannah and have an extra day, head up the coast into South Carolina for a day/half-day trip and take in Beaufort, SC. Pretty little town - Forrest Gump and The Big Chill were filmed in part there.

SopeJr#2 just moved back to the ATL from Savannah last fall. We were down there twice in 2019, once for the birth of granddaughter #4, and once to see SopeJr#2 while his bride was in the ATL for a wedding.

Savannah is beastly hot during the summer, which runs pretty much from May through October there. Right now - at 12:49 pm on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - it's 91 degrees with a heat index of 104 and going up.

Savannah's best feature is its walkability, and the best places to walk are in its many city squares, the most notable of which is Forsyth Park. If you walk from the downtown commercial district to and around Forsyth Park, you'll see a good bit of very old Savannah, plus some green space. If you go there during the summer (see above), walk in the morning . . . .

Restaurants: Bella's for Italian food is spectacularly good. Cotton & Rye is a very good place to eat dinner, as is The Ordinary. Both have good bars too . . . although the best bar to go to, according to MrsSope (who is of Irish descent, after all) is The Alley Cat Lounge. For breakfast, B. Matthews is quite good, and The Collins Quarter has a great reputation (I've never eaten there because the lines were always too long to wait to get in). There are tons of good places to eat in Savannah . . . .

All that's for Savannah proper. There are lots of local areas to think about near Savannah. Tybee Island is one . . . almost all of the food on Tybee has a theme to it, and that is that its best feature is that it's located on Tybee. If I had to eat on Tybee I'd start with the Sundae Cafe.

If you're on Whitmarsh Island, try Papa's Bar-be-cue and Seafood or Wiley's Championship BBQ.

BTW, if you make it to Savannah and have an extra day, head up the coast into South Carolina for a day/half-day trip and take in Beaufort, SC. Pretty little town - Forrest Gump and The Big Chill were filmed in part there.

Take note you other schmucks: this is some grade A dish right here! Thanks Sope... an AOTF slow clap to you!

4615cc4ac7458d8242cb116641b71a22.gif

PS. and I've been to Beaufort SC... agree great little coastal town. SC has a really nice campground near there... Hunting Island State Park I think? Pretty sweet... for about $30/night for a camping spot you can camp on the other side of the dune from the ocean. Probably a multi-million dollar tract of land the state has there that developers are salivating over. New Bern NC and Washington NC are nice towns that are similar to Beaufort. Edisto Island is a nice little slower beach town too... nice state park there also and a very bikeable town. Repeat vacationers like to call it Edislow.

Last edited:
Perfect, just the kind of help I was looking for! Well, who's the schmuck? I did ask for help on the AOTF! Maybe I'll just go to Evansville instead!

Stay at the Plantars Inn. Great old hotel and a great location. They will hook you up on a local historical walking tour. The concierge there was amazing and they had an afternoon happy hour in the lobby each day. The Little Pink House Restaurant is good and the old school bar in the basement is great. Lots of good pubs and you can get to go drinks at all bars.

Good suggestions above. While hotter than hell this time of year, Savannah is a very cool place and very similar to Charleston, SC...love going just about anytime.

One unique/cool place to try is the Cotton Exchange on the river walk. This is one of the touristy areas (not normally my thing) and the food is good to very good...at least go in and have a drink at the bar (although the shrimp burger is really good too). The cool thing about this place is the Secret Service does a lot of their training in Savannah and the Cotton Exchange is one of the places they've found, due to the architecture, that offers a real logistical challenge for their trainees. While I was there, the bartender pointed out all of the trainees to me. It was like watching a movie; most of them dressed the same (some were "hidden" in plain site wearing street clothes), scattered around the bar & restaurant with their earpieces in talking to each other. At one point, the "protected person" gets up to leave and here comes the white SUV's to pick everyone up. Really a cool thing to watch unfold. They normally do this once or twice during the week around lunch. Just one of those interesting things you stumble across from time to time.

Nice place for 2-3 nights. Seemed like a great place to be if you’re single.

Ditto to everything Mr. Sope said about Savannah. My wife went to the Savannah College of Art and Design and then worked for the Georgia Historical Society (HQ in Savannah) for a few years. We were married there (in April, when it's beautiful!). SCAD has an amazing Historic Preservation program, and all of their buildings are historic properties that they've renovated in the downtown area.

Savannah is all about Oglethorpe's city plan. The downtown grid features a square every few blocks, and these all act as anchors and small parks for the neighborhoods. This makes for a very walkable and livable downtown. Charleston SC, has similarities in that it's a southern river port city, but Charleston it's more about the individual mansions and houses, whereas Savannah is all about the city plan.

It's been too many years since we've been there to comment on the food options. We used to do an art show every month on River Street, and there was a place that had hush puppies that were to die for. My wife's townhouse was on the same block as Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. Folks would line up around the block to get into there.

Vincennes was founded by the French one year before Oglethorpe founded Savannah. I still like to tease my wife about that!

Try the covid, I hear you can get it at any restaurant, bar or hotel.

Yep, already cancelled Savannah plans. You get torn between wanting to get out and do "normal" stuff and the reality of where things stand. I'm planning a trip to FL next month but rethinking getting on an airplane at the moment. It would be easy to isolate once there, but the airports and planes are another story. Sometimes I think, "take precautions but live your life" and others, it's "don't take unnecessary risks". Difficult to balance.

And for those in the "vaccine is it" camp, are you really that eager to have something injected in your body that's been rushed through testing and trials like this?

Last edited:
And for those in the "vaccine is it" camp, are you really that eager to have something injected in your body that's been rushed through testing and trials like this?
absolutely! I have already signed up for the Moderna trial & I hope that I get the call.

I spent a week in Edisto once. It was one of the most chill, relaxing vacations I've ever had. Highly recommended place if you aren't interested in any night life.

Take note you other schmucks: this is some grade A dish right here! Thanks Sope... an AOTF slow clap to you!

4615cc4ac7458d8242cb116641b71a22.gif

PS. and I've been to Beaufort SC... agree great little coastal town. SC has a really nice campground near there... Hunting Island State Park I think? Pretty sweet... for about $30/night for a camping spot you can camp on the other side of the dune from the ocean. Probably a multi-million dollar tract of land the state has there that developers are salivating over. New Bern NC and Washington NC are nice towns that are similar to Beaufort. Edisto Island is a nice little slower beach town too... nice state park there also and a very bikeable town. Repeat vacationers like to call it Edislow.

I spent a week in Edisto once. It was one of the most chill, relaxing vacations I've ever had. Highly recommended place if you aren't interested in any night life.

Yeah, I've only been once and loved it, but I'm fine without bars. I rode a bike all over town and out to the state park, where they had a great paved path. It is very relaxed, which I like, but it would probably bore a lot of folks. Hence, the Edislow name, which fits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT