ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday observations-realistic

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
First off the ref's were not great. Bailed PSU out at least twice. PSU banked in a 3 in first half and then got hot in the second. They were very scrappy and had 2 good guards. No surprise our perimeter defense wasn't great. Rob looks like he is still trying to get into better form. Took some bad shots and made some poor passes. Did play lock down defense at the end.

Franklin doesn't make freshmen mistakes which is why he can play this year. He just isn't ready to be an offensive contributor with consistency. We need Devonte. Hopefully sooner than later.

Al could be marginally better. Still has to prove he can be a consistent 3rd scorer in the BIG season.

Trayce needs to be stronger with the ball. His length will give teams fits. I know he has put on a bunch of weight. He just needs to play.

Brunk is what he is. Smart and tough and limited athletically.

Will Smith continue to play hard and run the floor? Just forget the 3 ball. Having TJD and Brunk in means a smaller person will guard Smith. He needs to take advantage of that. Offensive rebound and run outs.

Race is a nice role player. Knows how to play defense. Not a great jumper. Doesn't make mistakes. Has a knack for rebounding well.

FINALLY
Hunter will be the story of this team. He has the upside. How far can he come? He looks like he may have that Micheal Penix cool confidence. Like no moment is that big for him. He knocked down a couple 3's which were huge because not many of our guys can. He has upside!

Archie
I still don't get his substitution patterns. DD dove on the floor for a loose ball and played with energy. Never got back in the game. I grew up watching Knight play guys with less talent who played harder. Archie doesn't do that. Didn't do it last year and didn't do it Saturday. We had a period in the second half when the team was very lackluster much like last year. He needs to be pro active and shake the lineup up. He did take TJD out and put Brunk back in for toughness. Smith gets tired if you just keep him out there too long.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Archie getting his new biggs experience. DD is resting for bigger things.
Good developmental coaching. Not concerned here. Go Hoosiers!
I doubt that's the case. One possibility is that Davis is healthy but just doesn't fit in with the transition game Miller is trying to get the team to play. Another possibility is that he has been having minor injuries. I think one or both of these is more likely than a big regression his senior season or the scenario you put forward.

I know he has put on a bunch of weight.
No he hasn't ..

If you can't get that much correct (it's very common knowledge btw) why should anyone take you seriously?

Substitution patterns? Seriously? Do you get that preseason games against horrible teams is where coaches try different lineup combinations to gauge their effectiveness?

No, of course you don;t ... lol ..

Why didn't Anderson play?
Anderson got dinged up in practice. It sounded like they expected him to play. We didn't need him, so it was good he got to rest the injury.

First off the ref's were not great. Bailed PSU out at least twice. PSU banked in a 3 in first half and then got hot in the second. They were very scrappy and had 2 good guards. No surprise our perimeter defense wasn't great. Rob looks like he is still trying to get into better form. Took some bad shots and made some poor passes. Did play lock down defense at the end.

Franklin doesn't make freshmen mistakes which is why he can play this year. He just isn't ready to be an offensive contributor with consistency. We need Devonte. Hopefully sooner than later.

Al could be marginally better. Still has to prove he can be a consistent 3rd scorer in the BIG season.

Trayce needs to be stronger with the ball. His length will give teams fits. I know he has put on a bunch of weight. He just needs to play.

Will Smith continue to play hard and run the floor? Just forget the 3 ball. Having TJD and Brunk in means a smaller person will guard Smith. He needs to take advantage of that. Offensive rebound and run outs.

Race is a nice role player. Knows how to play defense. Not a great jumper. Doesn't make mistakes. Has a knack for rebounding well.

FINALLY
Hunter will be the story of this team. He has the upside. How far can he come? He looks like he may have that Micheal Penix cool confidence. Like no moment is that big for him. He knocked down a couple 3's which were huge because not many of our guys can. He has upside!

Archie
I still don't get his substitution patterns. DD dove on the floor for a loose ball and played with energy. Never got back in the game. I grew up watching Knight play guys with less talent who played harder. Archie doesn't do that. Didn't do it last year and didn't do it Saturday. We had a period in the second half when the team was very lackluster much like last year. He needs to be pro active and shake the lineup up. He did take TJD out and put Brunk back in for toughness. Smith gets tired if you just keep him out there too long.
My take after 2 games.

Al will do whatever the team needs him to do. He needs to be a scorer without Green. I would like that to continue. Green will be getting shots when he comes back.

I have said for a while that Thompson reminds me of a young Darryl Thomas. Smart kid that finds the ball, rebounds, or puts it in the basket. Not fancy, but plays hard and doesn't screw things up. Similar to Morgan's earlier roles. He was a tough defender last year. He will become a favorite of Archie inside.

Hunter isn't afraid to bang inside. I heard he was looking to score inside and get his confidence up. Then he made two 3s in a row. I like his approach and needs to get comfortable on the court after not playing or practicing for a year.

Smith is doing well because he is running. He isn't the typical 3 but he has improved his handle and is exploding to the basket. This is a much better version than the one that wanted to shoot 3s.

We won't set records for shooting 3s, but we have scored 50+ points in the paint in each of our first two games, That works well and we will be a hard team to play if TJD, Smith and a third front court player can score in double digits every game.

Last edited:
Um Archie said he has put on a lot of weight since June when he arrived.

You didn't see the load management answer either. No where Saturday was the game out of reach to try anything other than to win the game. Lead was cut to 6.

No he hasn't ..

If you can't get that much correct (it's very common knowledge btw) why should anyone take you seriously?

Substitution patterns? Seriously? Do you get that preseason games against horrible teams is where coaches try different lineup combinations to gauge their effectiveness?

No, of course you don;t ... lol ..

My concern with this team is the lack of perimeter shooting. 8-25 from 3 in two games

FINALLY

Archie
Very well done and I have never seen an athlete who did not have some athletic limits. But I know what you meant . . . o_O

FINALLY

Archie
watched the B1G replay last night. Agree on the refs, not the best I've seen.

I like the game put in by Hunter, Race, Rob (on defense against Boo Boo who was out of his mind for most of the second half). TJD pretty solid. Al was steady and like how he's taking it to the hole in transition.

Brunk wasn't out there much of the second half as we needed more quickness on defense. De'ron looks like he's not well. Slower than before.

Not going to believe (yet) that Smith can produce like this all yr but like what I see so far (aside from the occasional bad miss from 3). Franklin is a surprise, does not look like the freshman on the court.

Mid part of second half looked like the team got bored and lead sliced in half. Give PSU guards credit, they came to play.

Still sad to see wide angle view and not one person sitting up in the balcony.

Reactions: ORG
It is obvious to me that too many IU fans, who can come to ALL games, want to cherry pick the ones where they will actually show up.
:(:(:(

It is obvious to me that too many IU fans, who can come to ALL games, want to cherry pick the ones where they will actually show up.
:(:(:(
if it weren't for the fact that I live 270 miles from the Hall, I would be there.

The generation below me grew up in a different time, with much more to occupy their time. However, I've spent too much time on the internet myself, and have yet to find anything more exciting than sitting in the lower section, under the balcony in late Feb 1989 watching Edwards hit the buzzer beater vs Mich. Maybe IU bball has to get back to that level before I can make the comparison accurately. Getting old sucks.

Does anyone remember what the crowds looked like when RMK teams hosted the two cupcake tourneys (IU and Hoosier Classics) around the holidays? Even then, I don't remember crowds this thin, and one of those tourneys was played after Xmas and campus was abandoned that week.

Reactions: ORG
Oladipo didn't have athletic limitations
Vic was hyper athletic but he did have some limitations. He wasn't the strongest player at his position, he jumped incredibly well but some others jumped higher, he worked hard on his handle and improved it substantially but it was never the best.

To me saying someone has no limitations is a bit of an exaggeration. It's like saying someone gives 110%; you only have 100%.

if it weren't for the fact that I live 270 miles from the Hall, I would be there.

The generation below me grew up in a different time, with much more to occupy their time. However, I've spent too much time on the internet myself, and have yet to find anything more exciting than sitting in the lower section, under the balcony in late Feb 1989 watching Edwards hit the buzzer beater vs Mich. Maybe IU bball has to get back to that level before I can make the comparison accurately. Getting old sucks.
I agree that getting old sucks. But it sure beats the hell out of the alternative!!!!
:);):D

Vic was hyper athletic but he did have some limitations. He wasn't the strongest player at his position, he jumped incredibly well but some others jumped higher, he worked hard on his handle and improved it substantially but it was never the best.

To me saying someone has no limitations is a bit of an exaggeration. It's like saying someone gives 110%; you only have 100%.
Vic was raw his frosh yr, really worked hard on the pure bball skills and his shot. He and Sheehey were animals in the training room. Both freaks of nature.

Smith needs to never shoot another 3.
I enjoy the rim running, dunking, rebounding Smith a lot more this year.

Smith needs to never shoot another 3.
I enjoy the rim running, dunking, rebounding Smith a lot more this year.
and I know I've beaten this drum before, but Smith needs to become a 70% (min) FT shooter. He is going to get to the line a lot in this role. 50% won't cut it. His form looks ok but he's very stiff in the knees/legs when he shoots them. just my 2 cents as a 52 yr old Saturday morning hack at the local gym who can still hit 18 of 20 FTs every weekend. Drives me nuts to leave easy points on the floor. Will be needed later in the season when we're actually facing high level P5 talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT