ADVERTISEMENT

Sasse for President

Well played Mitt, well played. I sure hope you typed that with your pinky out.

I envision you as a Ron Burgundy, Pinky out.
By the beard of Zeus!

I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

I'm a Republican. An actual Republican, and not a RINO like Trump who pretended to be Republican on a few issues that resonated with some Republicans, but he didn't believe in anything except himself. I don't like when people try to play me for a fool. That's exactly what Trump did with a whole lot of people.

By the beard of Zeus!

I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

I'm a Republican. An actual Republican, and not a RINO like Trump who pretended to be Republican on a few issues that resonated with some Republicans, but he didn't believe in anything except himself. I don't like when people try to play me for a fool. That's exactly what Trump did with a whole lot of people.
Like Hoopsier, for example. Try to have some empathy for him. He craves it.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The vote for GOP candidates by blacks and Hispanics, locally, state and federal, will improve again in the midterms and 2024. Suburban White women, now aware of the threat of defund the police and having their children smeared by "educators," will come home.
This!

Watched Senator Ben Sasse from Nebraska yesterday criticize the Biden withdrawal from Afghanistan. His critique was sharp and to the point. Granted, IMO, his delivery was more impressive than his arguments. Nevertheless, he is an impressive and imposing figure.

As to his conservatism, Wikipedia in part has this to say,

Sasse is considered politically conservative. The American Conservative Union's Center for Legislative Accountability gives him a lifetime rating of 94.[45] The politically liberal Americans for Democratic Action gave him a 2019 score of 5%.[46]

So what do you Cooler conservative and not so conservative Republicans think about Sasse ?
I assume this is the interview? It’s too bad someone like this doesn’t have enough flash to get elected President.

i don't think it has much to do w/ the repubs getting smarter at the moment. as i said "at this pace." right now the repubs could scream about the disaster at the boarder, bidenflation, soaring violent crime, crazy spending, international embarrassments, harris being the vapid person we expected, biden being old and mia, etc. now you and i know that there's far more to all of this but i'll remind you of george carlin's quote on how stupid the average person is. so if the election were today i trust it would be as much about the dems ineptitude as the repubs "getting smarter." the dems appear to be their own worst enemy at the moment. free money and eviction stays won't last forever.

as for the demographics being worse in 2022 the maps will be better.
You forgot the schools. The thing animating people most in my circle is the schools.

I assume this is the interview? It’s too bad someone like this doesn’t have enough flash to get elected President.

Stoll, yes this is the interview.

Normally don't watch CNN except for Fareed Zakaria on Sunday. Interview came on after Biden speech. After seeing interview was curious about why Sasse isn't mentioned much at The Cooler.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
After seeing interview was curious about why Sasse isn't mentioned much at The Cooler.

I think it is because he's a Senator. Congresspeople are more likely to be firebrands gaining attention because of being outrageous. Governors actually have power and can gain attention that way (see DeSantis and his war on masks). Senators are thus, boring.

I sure hope they're finished. Trump and his RINO crew, along with Trumpism, need to be expunged from the party. Glad you agree.
Yeah good thinking. Let's nominate another Romney or McCain and watch Harris win OH and IA (Trump won them by almost 10 pts) and blowout in PA, MI, and WI. Great idea. Is that you Karl Rove?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yeah good thinking. Let's nominate another Romney or McCain and watch Harris win OH and IA (Trump won them by almost 10 pts) and blowout in PA, MI, and WI. Great idea. Is that you Karl Rove?
So you're one of those Republicans that helped elect and reelect President Obama.

I think it is because he's a Senator. Congresspeople are more likely to be firebrands gaining attention because of being outrageous. Governors actually have power and can gain attention that way (see DeSantis and his war on masks). Senators are thus, boring.
I agree with that, but I think one reason the Trump supporters on this board never mention Sasse is that Sasse voted yes on Impeachment in Feb. He seems like a truly honorable man, sort of reminds me of Edmund Ross who was also a Prarie Republican from neighboring Kansas.

Ross's story is a Chapter of Profiles in Courage but differs from Sasse in that he voted NO on Andrew Johnson's Impeachment (and secured his acquittal). Yet like Sasse, Ross was a man of conscience and likely based that decision to vote NO and acquit on the same types of factors Sasse put forth in his decision to vote Yes...

"First, President Trump lied that he 'won the election by a landslide.' He lied about widespread voter fraud, spreading conspiracy theories despite losing 60 straight court challenges, many of his losses handed down by great judges he nominated. He tried to intimidate the Georgia secretary of state to 'find votes' and overturn that state’s election. He publicly and falsely declared that Vice President Pence could break his constitutional oath and simply declare a different outcome. The president repeated these lies when summoning his crowd — parts of which were widely known to be violent — to Capitol Hill to intimidate Vice President Pence and Congress into not fulfilling our constitutional duties. Those lies had consequences, endangering the life of the vice president and bringing us dangerously close to a bloody constitutional crisis. Each of these actions are violations of a president’s oath of office."

Why? I voted for McCain and Romney. The 2 biggest regrets of my life. Should've voted for Obama.
So you apparently became a President Obama fan, even preferring him over Republicans McCain and Romney. Interesting. I was under the impression that you considered yourself a Republican and not just a Trumper. He did have that cult of personality thing going for him and he apparently still does. Which is damned unfortunate for the Republican party and why Trumpism must be purged. It should be about a party of ideas and principles, not about a personality. Especially a personality as deeply flawed as Trump's.

Trump lost two states to a non-Southerner (AZ and GA) that haven't voted for a Dem since 1996. They account for 27 electoral votes rather than the 24 EVs you're bemoaning from two purple states in OH and Iowa.

The reality is that while Trump has some very ardent supporters the higher the number of people voting, the more (popular) votes Trump is going to lose by. Call it the (negative) Trump effect...

With a low turnout in 2016, he lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million an all-time record for someone who actually won the EV. But when record numbers of people turned out to vote in 2020 he lost by more than twice that amount...

This to me is what is the most frustrating aspect of people who advocate the Big Lie. Clearly, the man (Trump) is only supported by a minority of actual citizens, and people turned out en masse to reject him in favor of Biden who didn't have to really do anything beyond being the anti-Trump.

Why is Trump so desperate to try and retain power when he inspired a record number of people to vote to OPPOSE him just by having his name on the ballot? People opposed him massively in 2016 but he won by stringing electoral votes together by winning states where people just didn't vote.

But in 2020 the people in those states rectified that mistake and turned out in record numbers and rejected Trump wholeheartedly. Clearly, the majority of US voting citizens did NOT want him in the WH any longer. So Trump, get a grip and Move ON...

Reactions: IU_Hickory
So you apparently became a President Obama fan, even preferring him over Republicans McCain and Romney. Interesting. I was under the impression that you considered yourself a Republican and not just a Trumper. He did have that cult of personality thing going for him and he apparently still does. Which is damned unfortunate for the Republican party and why Trumpism must be purged. It should be about a party of ideas and principles, not about a personality. Especially a personality as deeply flawed as Trump's.
I mean, you're not wrong.

I've actually been a little encouraged on some of the conversations about the Afghanistan shit show from both sides on the WC.

It's kind of refreshing to get a group of people to agree on an overall theme (horrible war, need to get out, completely underestimated the amount of time available and got caught with our pants down because of it).

Now the good discussion is on the how's, why's and what's next instead of arguing/denying that it's even real.

IE- this so called 'crisis' is a hoax perpetrated by the fake media on its sheeple who are now all woke and being raving lunatics, just like they want you to be. Here's a idea, think for yourself sheep!!!!
Yeah, that's the crazy. Resist the crazy!

Many of the people that say Biden won't finish his term also say Trump will run in 2024.
He won't? Are you saying he's not the narcissistic maniac the left has been assuring us that he is for over 5 years now?

He won't? Are you saying he's not the narcissistic maniac the left has been assuring us that he is for over 5 years now?
Nah.

I'm just saying they're more or less the same advanced age, and it makes no sense to claim Biden is senile but Trump is at his peak. Hell, Trump can barely lift his legs.

How much deep vein thrombosis can a guy stand?

Trump won't announce any time soon, because once he does all the money he's raising has to be spent actually campaigning. As it is now, the millions his PAC has taken in can go straight into his pocket.

Reactions: hoot1
Trump won't announce any time soon, because once he does all the money he's raising has to be spent actually campaigning. As it is now, the millions his PAC has taken in can go straight into his pocket.
OH MY GOD, You mean Trump found a rule, voted in by establishment politicians over the last few decades and .... wait for it.... Actually uses that rule/ law? Why have no other politicians ever used this rule that they made FOR THEMeffingSELVES?
Thanks Trump for the transparency. He's still draining the swamp.

OH MY GOD, You mean Trump found a rule, voted in by establishment politicians over the last few decades and .... wait for it.... Actually uses that rule/ law? Why have no other politicians ever used this rule that they made FOR THEMeffingSELVES?
Thanks Trump for the transparency. He's still draining the swamp.
No, not really.

He's just profiting.

I have no doubt he'll tease as long as possible but I'm going to be surprised if he's physically able and still babied by the party.... he'll run in 2024.

He's screaming for vengeance. I don't think he's ready to give up his seat as the head of the party, add that to all of his flaws and I think it's going to be tough for him to step aside.

He's screaming for vengeance. I don't think he's ready to give up his seat as the head of the party, add that to all of his flaws and I think it's going to be tough for him to step aside.

It's silly for people to even speculate about what such a fundamentally damaged person like him might do. He has his own calculus, one that reasonably sane people like you and me aren't able to comprehend.

Is Biden not running?
Over here on the loony left the popular thought was that Biden was mainly a palette clense. An old school, experienced moderate that was a bridge to some kind of normalcy.

He's already old as dirt. Many believe he won't run at 81-82 years old.

Bernie has already said he's done because of his projected age.

Biden also has kindof avoided that question so yeah, I think many would be surprised if he ran for a second term at 82 years old.

Hopefully the pool of options for all parties will be ~40 and 65 years old in 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and stollcpa
You guys are being fools. Sasse would be a great POTUS.

Unfortunately people that would be great don’t run for the job anymore.
He might be a decent pres for some. My fear/ feeling is he doesn't understand that NO deal is most often better than a terrible deal. I have enough of a feeling that he has a tendency to be a candle flame in a breeze. That is not what I am looking for in a "leader".
I'm not saying that there isn't a lot to negotiate on and make deals the everyone wins something, there are a lot. But Legacy permanent DC fixtures (<--- notice no D or R mentioned) will eat his lunch when it actually hits the fan. They would feel empowered to do some STUPID shit like a $3.5 Trillion christmas list.

Agreed. Bowl, Mark & Aloha like him. Enough said. Thanks, but no thanks.
Any candidate I support in 2024 will be a sane, rational, solid Republican who actually believes in and touts Republican principles and policies. I’m not a member of the irrational RINO Trump’s cult of personality.

Reactions: UncleMark
Most of you are completely out of touch when it comes to the Trump voter. It's like when GOAT was on here years ago talking about what a great choice Huntsman would be for the Republicans. There's a reason people like you love him and Sasse and the Trump voter hates them.

Most of you are completely out of touch when it comes to the Trump voter. It's like when GOAT was on here years ago talking about what a great choice Huntsman would be for the Republicans. There's a reason people like you love him and Sasse and the Trump voter hates them.
Explain what you think motivates Trump voters. I’ve never understood why any sane Republican would support him over actual solid Republicans. Maybe you can help me out. I’d appreciate it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT