ADVERTISEMENT

San Francisco Mayor flouts own mask mandate...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
You'd think it's a pretty low bar to clear for an elected official to comply with their own mask mandate, but apparently it isn't:

In one video, a maskless Breed can be seen dancing for more than a minute without a drink or food in hand, and photos show her posing maskless with attendees and some of the artists.

"Don't feel as though you have to be micromanaged about mask wearing. Like, we don't need the fun police to come in and try and micromanage and tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing. We know what we need to do to protect ourselves," Breed told reporters on Friday when asked about the episode at a news conference.

Whatever happened to having a bit of humility and owning up to a mistake? Would it have been so wrong to admit that she let her guard down and that she should have been wearing her mask? Also, isn't she sort of in charge of the 'fun police'? No one actually wants to wear a mask, but it's frustrating when someone in her position isn't taking it seriously and setting a good example.

And in the age of social media, camera phones and polarizing political gotcha journalism, I can't imagine why a mayor of a major US city would even think that going to a nightclub and not being vigilant about mask wearing would be a good idea. She's practically begging for the Fox News crowd to talk about her for the next couple of days.

Reactions: UncleMark
The problem with these elected officials flouting their own restrictions is not that they're hypocrites. Everyone's a hypocrite. It's that they know they're not in any danger and are still intent on lying to you that YOU the common person are.

I was at Kirkwood for the IU game last weekend, had 100+ people packed onto a patio without a mask insight. Except for the servers and bartenders and bouncers forced to comply to city mandates. No masks as the met Gala except for the wait staff.

That's what this mask nonsense has become. The service people, the underclass must comply, while the chosen people can go about their lives.

That's what this mask nonsense has become. The service people, the underclass must comply, while the chosen people can go about their lives.
The service people, the underclass must comply, while the people who chose themselves to be above it all go about their lives.

The service people, the underclass must comply, while the people who chose themselves to be above it all go about their lives.
Not at all. The second round of mask mandates post delta has seen these businesses forcing their employees
to follow the mandates to cover their ass but not enforcing the restrictions on their customers. My gym is openly flouting the city mandate in favor of a vaccine requirement, that doesn’t apply to the gym employees who still have to mask. If a business owner asks me to put a mask on I will, if I read the room and see they’re not enforcing I won’t because my core belief is still that it is all nonsense.

As we continue to see, the people who put the mandates in place are also “choosing to be above it all”. It’s all Kabuki theatre, your favorite type of entertainment.

Mandate or no mandate, use common sense and wear a damn mask when in crowds full of people lacking common sense. The grocery stores here in south FL no longer "require" masks yet I wear one every time, along with 75% of the people shopping. I don't feel like I am making some heroic sacrifice.

Mandate or no mandate, use common sense and wear a damn mask when in crowds full of people lacking common sense. The grocery stores here in south FL no longer "require" masks yet I wear one every time, along with 75% of the people shopping. I don't feel like I am making some heroic sacrifice.
Only sacrificing your common sense in that case.

Not at all. The second round of mask mandates post delta has seen these businesses forcing their employees
to follow the mandates to cover their ass but not enforcing the restrictions on their customers. My gym is openly flouting the city mandate in favor of a vaccine requirement, that doesn’t apply to the gym employees who still have to mask. If a business owner asks me to put a mask on I will, if I read the room and see they’re not enforcing I won’t because my core belief is still that it is all nonsense.

As we continue to see, the people who put the mandates in place are also “choosing to be above it all”. It’s all Kabuki theatre, your favorite type of entertainment.
I disagree with you. I don't think this is some conspiracy where someone like the mayor of San Francisco thinks masks actually don't work. I don't think she thought to herself, 'I'm going to implement this mandate, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a mask to that Toni, Toni, Tone show'.

I think this is different in that as a leader - and one that instituted a mask mandate - she should have held herself to that standard. It's irresponsible of her to impart the importance of mitigating efforts while not following what her office mandated, but I don't think she's in on some high level elitist conspiracy theory where the working class are secretly being manipulated.

Reactions: cosmickid
I disagree with you. I don't think this is some conspiracy where someone like the mayor of San Francisco thinks masks actually don't work. I don't think she thought to herself, 'I'm going to implement this mandate, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a mask to that Toni, Toni, Tone show'.

I think this is different in that as a leader - and one that instituted a mask mandate - she should have held herself to that standard. It's irresponsible of her to impart the importance of mitigating efforts while not following what her office mandated, but I don't think she's in on some high level elitist conspiracy theory where the working class are secretly being manipulated.
No. She implemented the mask mandate, because that's the easy thing to do. It's a way to cover your ass. Look at all the slings and arrows that DeSantis takes for not caving into the nonsense.

I don't assume malintent either, but if she really believed that her not masking could very possibly kill some, she would have worn one when she went to see that shitty band, she clearly doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812
The problem with these elected officials flouting their own restrictions is not that they're hypocrites. Everyone's a hypocrite. It's that they know they're not in any danger and are still intent on lying to you that YOU the common person are.

I was at Kirkwood for the IU game last weekend, had 100+ people packed onto a patio without a mask insight. Except for the servers and bartenders and bouncers forced to comply to city mandates. No masks as the met Gala except for the wait staff.

"The problem with these elected officials flouting their own restrictions is not that they're hypocrites. Everyone's a hypocrite. It's that they know they're not in any danger and are still intent on lying to you that YOU the common person are."

If we assume that the same people who won't get vaxxed are the same folks who won't wear a mask then your opinion here is just not credible. It's simply a fact that states with low vax rates and low mask compliance or bans on vax mandates are being hit harder. A prime example is comparing WA and ID, and particularly the part of Eastern Washington that is more in line with Idaho than the rest of the state of Washington on vax rates and mask compliance...

Some here have pooh poohed the reports of "crisis standards of care" being implemented in Idaho. But the reality is that Idaho is having to send covid patients to Eastern Washington and both of these Medical professionals in Idaho and Eastern WA respectively are overwhelmed by the situation in Idaho.

If your statement about maskless individuals not being at risk was true, we wouldn't see the continuing examples of states like Idaho faring worse than their neighbors, and in this case actually jeopardizing non-covid medical care in that neighboring state. Look at the various maps, and note how Blue states are very often faring far better than adjacent Red states-it's a clear indicator that Blue state vax rates and mask policies work.

Btw, the latest info I read said that CA which just last week overwhelmingly rejected Elder's attempt to usurp covid protocol and eliminate vax and mask mandates has the LOWEST covid case rate in the country...

Here's something else you need to explain if you want to try and justify your disinformation. In states which have an overall high vax rate and low case count (Colo for example) the worst part of the state for infections usually correlates to the most Red area of the state, which coincidentally has the lowest vax rate and lowest mask compliance...In CO that is Moffatt Co in the far west corner bordering UT and Wyoming, where Trump and Boebert both got over 80% of the vote. Vax rate is 40%. Coincidence?

"The problem with these elected officials flouting their own restrictions is not that they're hypocrites. Everyone's a hypocrite. It's that they know they're not in any danger and are still intent on lying to you that YOU the common person are."

If we assume that the same people who won't get vaxxed are the same folks who won't wear a mask then your opinion here is just not credible.
Why would you assume that? We’re debating the SF mayor and my anecdotes have been from Chicago. Do you believe the SF mayor is unvaxed?

I at no point called into question the effectiveness of vaccines. So why did you feel the need to post the rest of the post? Are you bored?

Yes! Please internalize your fear.
Stay at home.
Wear a mask at all times for your safety.
Don't let the majority of people who are going ahead with their lives, JUST LIKE THE ELITE DO, sway your decisions.

Why would you assume that? We’re debating the SF mayor and my anecdotes have been from Chicago. Do you believe the SF mayor is unvaxed?

I at no point called into question the effectiveness of vaccines. So why did you feel the need to post the rest of the post? Are you bored?

If we assume that the same people who won't get vaxxed are the same folks who won't wear a mask then your opinion here is just not credible. It's simply a fact that states with low vax rates and low mask compliance or bans on vax mandates are being hit harder. A prime example is comparing WA and ID, and particularly the part of Eastern Washington that is more in line with Idaho than the rest of the state of Washington on vax rates and mask compliance...

Some here have pooh poohed the reports of "crisis standards of care" being implemented in Idaho. But the reality is that Idaho is having to send covid patients to Eastern Washington and both of these Medical professionals in Idaho and Eastern WA respectively are overwhelmed by the situation in Idaho.

If your statement about maskless individuals not being at risk was true, we wouldn't see the continuing examples of states like Idaho faring worse than their neighbors, and in this case actually jeopardizing non-covid medical care in that neighboring state. Look at the various maps, and note how Blue states are very often faring far better than adjacent Red states-it's a clear indicator that Blue state vax rates and mask policies work.

Btw, the latest info I read said that CA which just last week overwhelmingly rejected Elder's attempt to usurp covid protocol and eliminate vax and mask mandates has the LOWEST covid case rate in the country...

Here's something else you need to explain if you want to try and justify your disinformation. In states which have an overall high vax rate and low case count (Colo for example) the worst part of the state for infections usually correlates to the most Red area of the state, which coincidentally has the lowest vax rate and lowest mask compliance...In CO that is Moffatt Co in the far west corner bordering UT and Wyoming, where Trump and Boebert both got over 80% of the vote. Vax rate is 40%. Coincidence?
Bots will bot!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Wait a minute... Besides anti-maskers liking your post, there is nothing in this passage, or even the entire post I responded to that indicates you were limiting your discussion to "elected officials in CA".

That's a pretty general statement, and the use of the word "restrictions" would seem to imply that you are including mask-wearing in this diatribe. The rest of your post mentions Bloomington, so it seems you have ventured beyond a discussion of just CA...

It's become a popular talking point that masks are "useless", and if you don't ascribe to that view the folks who liked your post certainly do. Are you trying to claim that the majority of people refusing to wear a mask in low vax rate states are vaccinated because I highly doubt that?

So when you say that the officials who are urging mask-wearing are "lying" to people about the danger of not wearing a mask, are you trying to limit that to "vaccinated" individuals? Because I just don't buy that the majority or even a significant portion of people who ignore mask mandates are "vaccinated"...

Wait a minute... Besides anti-maskers liking your post, there is nothing in this passage, or even the entire post I responded to that indicates you were limiting your discussion to "elected officials in CA".

That's a pretty general statement, and the use of the word "restrictions" would seem to imply that you are including mask-wearing in this diatribe. The rest of your post mentions Bloomington, so it seems you have ventured beyond a discussion of just CA...

It's become a popular talking point that masks are "useless", and if you don't ascribe to that view the folks who liked your post certainly do. Are you trying to claim that the majority of people refusing to wear a mask in low vax rate states are vaccinated because I highly doubt that?

So when you say that the officials who are urging mask-wearing are "lying" to people about the danger of not wearing a mask, are you trying to limit that to "vaccinated" individuals? Because I just don't buy that the majority or even a significant portion of people who ignore mask mandates are "vaccinated"...
I was talking about Kirkwood Bar and Grill in Lakeview, get it together. Your desire to tie mask mandates to vaccination rates/ mandates is entirely dishonest. One is highly effective, the other is marginally effective if it all.

In the context of heavily populated/ vaxed areas like SF or Chicago, yes there is a sizable portion of the populous that is vaxed and completely willing to disregard to these new loosely enforced mask mandates, like the Mayors for example.

As to areas with low vaccination rates, I’ve made my opinion clear that I, you and everyone else should not give a flying shit. Get vaxed and leave other people alone. I’ll start getting worked up about Hospital bed capacity when I see you going on a diatribe about opioid overdoses and heart disease patients occupying those same beds.

I’m about done listening to doctors and nurses complain that they have to take care of sick people.

You'd think it's a pretty low bar to clear for an elected official to comply with their own mask mandate, but apparently it isn't:

In one video, a maskless Breed can be seen dancing for more than a minute without a drink or food in hand, and photos show her posing maskless with attendees and some of the artists.

"Don't feel as though you have to be micromanaged about mask wearing. Like, we don't need the fun police to come in and try and micromanage and tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing. We know what we need to do to protect ourselves," Breed told reporters on Friday when asked about the episode at a news conference.

Whatever happened to having a bit of humility and owning up to a mistake? Would it have been so wrong to admit that she let her guard down and that she should have been wearing her mask? Also, isn't she sort of in charge of the 'fun police'? No one actually wants to wear a mask, but it's frustrating when someone in her position isn't taking it seriously and setting a good example.

And in the age of social media, camera phones and polarizing political gotcha journalism, I can't imagine why a mayor of a major US city would even think that going to a nightclub and not being vigilant about mask wearing would be a good idea. She's practically begging for the Fox News crowd to talk about her for the next couple of days.
Kinda like telling your kids not to smoke while you're puffing away. :)

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Bingo...

Stay at home.
Don't let the majority of people who are going ahead with their lives, JUST LIKE THE ELITE DO, sway your decisions.
Says the man who is afraid of vaccines.

"these businesses"
"their employees"
"their customers"
"the people who put the mandate in place"

Nothing like undefined generalizations to make it clear you don't care to persuade anybody.

Stay at home.
Please internalize your opinions.

Stay home and play Fortnight or Call of Duty, nonstop.

"these businesses"
"their employees"
"their customers"
"the people who put the mandate in place"

Nothing like undefined generalizations to make it clear you don't care to persuade anybody.
I've cited several several specific businesses in this thread, if you don't care to read it's up to you. The people who put the mandate in place is pretty self evident, it's the local governments.

Is your stance that service sector employees are not bearing the brunt of the mask mandates as you type on your computer while you WFH?

If you reply to one of my posts again, please actually have something to reply about.

lol at equating grocery stores to sporting events. Why don’t you just order delivery to calm your untreated anxiety?

"I was at Kirkwood for the IU game last weekend, had 100+ people packed onto a patio without a mask insight. Except for the servers and bartenders and bouncers forced to comply to city mandates. No masks as the met Gala except for the wait staff."

I'm willing to bet that Ohio Guy who linked to an article about the Mayor of SF has no idea that in first reply to his OP you are referring to Kirkwood Bar and Grill in Lakeview. Is that a suburb of SF, because it certainly isn't mentioned anywhere in the story that Ohio Guy linked? Guess we're all supposed to be mind readers and divine your intent, though I guess it was stupid for me to see mention of the IU game and Kirkwood and assume you were discussing one of the establishments in Bloomington...

Regardless I'm over the discussion of whether you're anti-mask, anti-vax or just trolling and throwing out disinformation. It's pretty clear that across the board the states with low vax rates and low mask compliance are suffering more than anyone else.

Sounds like you're another DeSantis fan. I think he's as much of an idiot as Trump and will suffer the same fate over a covid policy that is basically based on not alienating his political base, and forgetting he governs an entire state. He's popular in wing nut circles and entertains dreams of running for POTUS. But while he's out fundraising for his Presidential bid, he seems to have lost site of the fact that he was never that popular in FL, only won by less than 1% in 2018, and won't be facing a Black Mayor from Tallahassee that was susceptible to being branded a "socialist" this time around...

Maybe Ronnie can lose his re-election bid in 2022, and still have the gravitas to contend as a GOP candidate for POTUS two years later. He's making his calculations, but stupid moves like banning cruise ships from requiring a vax or at least reveal vax status is not popular with non-Trumpian Floridians. And speaking of Ron and nonsense, this is a lie worthy of Trump in terms of absurdity...It was bad enough when it originally occurred and he didn't offer a disclaimer. But then to lie and claim he didn't hear it? Positively Trumpian...

"I was at Kirkwood for the IU game last weekend, had 100+ people packed onto a patio without a mask insight. Except for the servers and bartenders and bouncers forced to comply to city mandates. No masks as the met Gala except for the wait staff."

I'm willing to bet that Ohio Guy who linked to an article about the Mayor of SF has no idea that in first reply to his OP you are referring to Kirkwood Bar and Grill in Lakeview. Is that a suburb of SF, because it certainly isn't mentioned anywhere in the story that Ohio Guy linked? Guess we're all supposed to be mind readers and divine your intent, though I guess it was stupid for me to see mention of the IU game and Kirkwood and assume you were discussing one of the establishments in Bloomington...

Regardless I'm over the discussion of whether you're anti-mask, anti-vax or just trolling and throwing out disinformation. It's pretty clear that across the board the states with low vax rates and low mask compliance are suffering more than anyone else.

Sounds like you're another DeSantis fan. I think he's as much of an idiot as Trump and will suffer the same fate over a covid policy that is basically based on not alienating his political base, and forgetting he governs an entire state. He's popular in wing nut circles and entertains dreams of running for POTUS. But while he's out fundraising for his Presidential bid, he seems to have lost site of the fact that he was never that popular in FL, only won by less than 1% in 2018, and won't be facing a Black Mayor from Tallahassee that was susceptible to being branded a "socialist" this time around...

Maybe Ronnie can lose his re-election bid in 2022, and still have the gravitas to contend as a GOP candidate for POTUS two years later. He's making his calculations, but stupid moves like banning cruise ships from requiring a vax or at least reveal vax status is not popular with non-Trumpian Floridians. And speaking of Ron and nonsense, this is a lie worthy of Trump in terms of absurdity...It was bad enough when it originally occurred and he didn't offer a disclaimer. But then to lie and claim he didn't hear it? Positively Trumpian...

Kirkwood in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago is probably the best Indiana bar in the country outside the state of Indiana. All Hoosiers should make a pilgrimage. Shame on you.

We’ll table the DeSantis debate for another day.

Is it grammatically correct to call a woman a douchebag?

Kirkwood in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago is probably the best Indiana bar in the country outside the state of Indiana. All Hoosiers should make a pilgrimage. Shame on you.

We’ll table the DeSantis debate for another day.

True but she knows it probably won't be news on most major outlets unless people start complaining. Like you say, with all the cameras around you know someone is gonna video it or take a picture. It still amazes me why police do such stupid things sometimes when you know everyone has a camera.

I was talking about Kirkwood Bar and Grill in Lakeview, get it together. Your desire to tie mask mandates to vaccination rates/ mandates is entirely dishonest. One is highly effective, the other is marginally effective if it all.

In the context of heavily populated/ vaxed areas like SF or Chicago, yes there is a sizable portion of the populous that is vaxed and completely willing to disregard to these new loosely enforced mask mandates, like the Mayors for example.

As to areas with low vaccination rates, I’ve made my opinion clear that I, you and everyone else should not give a flying shit. Get vaxed and leave other people alone. I’ll start getting worked up about Hospital bed capacity when I see you going on a diatribe about opioid overdoses and heart disease patients occupying those same beds.

I’m about done listening to doctors and nurses complain that they have to take care of sick people.
Not to mention gunshot victims.

Chicago has hundreds of gunshot victims every week.

I don't see Feds lined up to disarm criminals in Chicago(or Detroit or New Orleans or NYC et. al.)

Law breakers don't care about laws

So simple that even a cave man could understand.

Bots will bot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT