ADVERTISEMENT

Samsung Blu-ray Players

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Our's quit working Friday. Just an endless power cycle of rebooting. Saturday I chat with Samsung support and I'm told I'll have to send it in so a tech can run diagnostics. It's a $30 piece of equipment and I'd have to pay shipping. I go dig out an old Roku and we're off to the races.

Than I read that all makes and models of Samsung Blu-ray players are doing this worldwide and they don't know why for sure. Glad it wasn't my frig. I've got beer in there.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/6/20/21297854/samsung-blu-ray-problems-ssl-firmware

Reactions: 76-1
What’s next, your laser disk player?
It's what we stream Netflix, Hulu, YT and Prime on in the family room.

Luckily my laserdisc player in the home office isn't connected to the router, so it's unaffected by these things.
PHHqjs4.png

Last edited:
Yeap. Betamax rules!

if vcrs could do hi def, think i'd much rather go that route than today's DVR forced on us by the cable companies.

my 1980 Sanyo beta had perfect variable slow motion back or forward, and great frame by frame either direction.

the DVRs forced on us today by many of the cable companies don't do slo mo at all, and the frame by frame is sht. (and variable forward and back slo mo and frame by frame are a must for sports fans).

right before the end of Obama's administration the FCC tried to mandate "unlocking the box", so people wouldn't have to rent equipment from the cable/satellite company.

the Pubs on the FCC blocked it passing, (with help from 1 Dem POS as well).

now that the cable/satellite providers have a closed system and your only option is what they offer, slo mo and high functioning frame by frame went bye bye quick.

and our bought and paid for legislators and regulators have made it illegal to own your own streaming recording device.

if vcrs could do hi def, think i'd much rather go that route than today's DVR forced on us by the cable companies.

my 1980 Sanyo beta had perfect variable slow motion back or forward, and great frame by frame either direction.

the DVRs forced on us today by many of the cable companies don't do slo mo at all, and the frame by frame is sht. (and variable forward and back slo mo and frame by frame are a must for sports fans).

right before the end of Obama's administration the FCC tried to mandate "unlocking the box", so people wouldn't have to rent equipment from the cable/satellite company.

now that the cable/satellite providers have a closed system and your only option is what they offer, slo mo and high functioning frame by frame went bye bye quick.

and our bought and paid for legislators and regulators have made it illegal to own your own streaming recording device.
You can always buy your own TiVo - it's what I do. You still have to pay a monthly fee to TiVo to use it. But yeah, it has shitty slo-mo too - not that I have much use for that feature really so it hasn't bothered me.

The quality of disc still blows streaming away. A 1080p bluray looks as good or often better than a 4k stream. And the lossless audio you get on bluray is light years ahead of the highly compressed Dolby 5.1 you get when streaming. But yes, streaming is the future and it's definitely more convenient.

Wow. I have been away too long. Things have changed a lot. The last cable bill I actually paid was like $40-50/mo. ;)
(I do have Xfinity here though via access to a Jackson Heights roommate's account.)

The quality of disc still blows streaming away. A 1080p bluray looks as good or often better than a 4k stream. And the lossless audio you get on bluray is light years ahead of the highly compressed Dolby 5.1 you get when streaming. But yes, streaming is the future and it's definitely more convenient.

The problem I find nowadays is that video technology is improving whether through better resolution or compression technology, the TVs themselves, on the other hand, are getting annoying.
They are so thin now, the sound quality/speakers can't help being crap, being so tiny and all now. You cant buy a big screen TV without having to invest in a soundbar nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT