ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James transferring.

Complete different discussion. My statement that we had an easy schedule is an absolute fact and also we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record is fact. If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game.

There is a couple of problems here.

First Nebraska HAD a winning record when we beat them and as 82Hoosier pointed out, they ended up with a losing record BECAUSE we beat them.

The other problem I have with your post is you take your facts and then draw the troll position that "If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game." Nice take.

Good grief, we won two or three games that we would have lost in the past and was very close on other games, some would have been upsets. Has IU arrived in the promise land? Of course not but progress was made and 2020 could be a good/great year. Enjoy the ride.

There is a couple of problems here.

First Nebraska HAD a winning record when we beat them and as 82Hoosier pointed out, they ended up with a losing record BECAUSE we beat them.

The other problem I have with your post is you take your facts and then draw the troll position that "If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game." Nice take.

Good grief, we won two or three games that we would have lost in the past and was very close on other games, some would have been upsets. Has IU arrived in the promise land? Of course not but progress was made and 2020 could be a good/great year. Enjoy the ride.
I'm not drinking the koolaid.....yet. Our bright spot, OC...gone, bright spot 2 SC...gone. Our weakness DC....still here. Our HC still making mistakes with in game decisions. To be a good team you have to beat good teams, I haven't seen that yet.

I'm not drinking the koolaid.....yet. Our bright spot, OC...gone, bright spot 2 SC...gone. Our weakness DC....still here. Our HC still making mistakes with in game decisions. To be a good team you have to beat good teams, I haven't seen that yet.

So you are a half empty glass kind of guy, Cool. Or maybe I should say a totally empty glass kind of guy.

I think I am FAR from a kool-aid drinker but I am willing to acknowledge the advances in the program such as:

The culture appears to have changed.
Recruiting is at an all time high for IU.
Last year we won some games we normally would have lost.
What ever the reason, we won a historic level of games last year.
We went to a bowl game.

I am willing to let this next year play out and then once again evaluate where the program is. Unfortunately, it appears you have already made your judgement that unless our opponents "suck as bad as last year" we will have a season that is a failure.

To counterbalance your "bright spots", maybe just maybe -

Sheridan will be just as good at OC.
I have confidence that Allen will hire a competent replacement for S&C and who knows, there might not be a drop off.
Possibly the DC has learned some things and will be better especially with a new experienced DL coach.
Allen seems like a passionate intelligent guy that is still a new head coach. I think he will learn from past mistakes during games and not repeat them.

I guess that is my half-full glass take which is worth no more than your opposite view.

It didn't look like a soft schedule going in but who knew how many bad teams would be in the B1G and we got to play all of them. You do know that we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record don't you? MSU had such a bad team they ran off Dantonio and we couldn't even beat them.Last season was fools gold.
I understand the teams we played, I watched. We played 4 bowl teams, would have been 5 had we lost to Nebraska.

We went on the road and beat two teams that were more talented than us, Nebraska and Maryland. Fortunately I think Locksley is the worst coach in the BIG and it's not really close.

We had a very legitimate chance against MSU and Penn St. on the road. I think if we flip flop MSU and Michigan games we win both. Sparty fell apart late in the season, and Michigan was a mess early in the year.

I don't see the point of throwing cold water on what was legitimately a very good season. If you go across the country and look at all the 6, 7, and 8 win teams, they beat the bad teams on their schedule. That's what you have to do.

We have had the short end of the stick with playing the BIG east, and then getting several crossovers with Iowa and Wisconsin. I will gladly take winnable crossover games like we had last year.

Complete different discussion. My statement that we had an easy schedule is an absolute fact and also we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record is fact. If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game.
I think it's a very related discussion. Can't argue that IU didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record. I do dispute that it was an easy schedule. Because your focus is on the team records vs. team quality.

Rutgers was trash. Maryland was a step above trash.

NW had a trash record but was very competitive against UW, Nebraska, & PU. So I'd argue they weren't trash, someone just has to lose the games.

PU gave away the Nevada game and played right with Minnesota & Iowa. Not a good team, but not trash.

Nebraska gave away Colorado & Purdue, & played Iowa to the bitter end. They didn't live up to pre-season hype. But again, not trash.

And if you say it's all "ifs and buts," you're missing the point. If you're able to say teams suck because of their final records, then you can't discount what IUs final record was by saying the opponents suck. Having wins against teams with bad records is objectively not the same thing has having wins against bad teams.

It didn't look like a soft schedule going in but who knew how many bad teams would be in the B1G and we got to play all of them. You do know that we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record don't you? MSU had such a bad team they ran off Dantonio and we couldn't even beat them.Last season was fools gold.

The fact that MSU was bad wasn't the reason why he resigned.

If it were up to State, he would still be there. Dantonio stayed on long enough to get a bonus and then resigned. If state was gonna push him out, they would have done that before that. He also resigned the day before the day before sign day. Sound like a guy that was pushed out to you?

At least try and get your facts straight.

Reactions: vesuvius13

As an outsider I disagree with your assessment. IU fielded a very good team last season. They started a little uncertain, much like a newly born fowl, but quickly got their legs underneath them and made off in a quick gallup.

Consider the fact they were breaking in a new offensive concept and OC that eventually averaged just a shade under 30 points and 429 yards per game. Throw in the injuries to Penix, Scott, and starting some underclassmen on the OL, IU became a team to contend with.

How the staff changes, and attrition will affect the overall 2020 team performance is undetermined. IU should go no worse than 3-3 within the eastern division this year. RU and MSU have new staffs and are in a total rebuild. Maryland is bipolar they appear unstoppable against Syracuse and the next week can't execute football basics. Only OSU, PSU and UM have more depth and elite level talent than IU.

If IU can overcome the coaching changes, player attrition and stay healthy the Hoosiers could easily attain a 6-3 conference record. Go 3-0 in OOC and IU is looking at a possible 10 win season with a bowl victory.

The fact that MSU was bad wasn't the reason why he resigned.

If it were up to State, he would still be there. Dantonio stayed on long enough to get a bonus and then resigned. If state was gonna push him out, they would have done that before that. He also resigned the day before the day before sign day. Sound like a guy that was pushed out to you?

At least try and get your facts straight.
You're speculating same as me. We're allowed to do that here aren't we?

As an outsider I disagree with your assessment. IU fielded a very good team last season. They started a little uncertain, much like a newly born fowl, but quickly got their legs underneath them and made off in a quick gallup.

Consider the fact they were breaking in a new offensive concept and OC that eventually averaged just a shade under 30 points and 429 yards per game. Throw in the injuries to Penix, Scott, and starting some underclassmen on the OL, IU became a team to contend with.

How the staff changes, and attrition will affect the overall 2020 team performance is undetermined. IU should go no worse than 3-3 within the eastern division this year. RU and MSU have new staffs and are in a total rebuild. Maryland is bipolar they appear unstoppable against Syracuse and the next week can't execute football basics. Only OSU, PSU and UM have more depth and elite level talent than IU.

If IU can overcome the coaching changes, player attrition and stay healthy the Hoosiers could easily attain a 6-3 conference record. Go 3-0 in OOC and IU is looking at a possible 10 win season with a bowl victory.
The MSU crowd was very complimentary of IU after our game with you guys. It was much appreciated.

You're speculating same as me. We're allowed to do that here aren't we?

Michigan State pushed him out after allowing him to pick up a bonus of over 4 million dollars? That really sounds like a team that didn't want him around doesn't it.

He left on his own. They weren't getting rid of him.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Michigan State pushed him out after allowing him to pick up a bonus of over 4 million dollars? That really sounds like a team that didn't want him around doesn't it.

He left on his own. They weren't getting rid of him.
Imagine the shitstorm if MSU fired Dantonio without cause days or weeks prior to the $4 mil bonus. I doubt many institutions would sacrifice their reputation over $4 million and in the case of MSU $4 mil is insignificant for a school with over $130 mil athletic revenue and school wide salaries over $900 mil.

Imagine the shitstorm if MSU fired Dantonio without cause days or weeks prior to the $4 mil bonus. I doubt many institutions would sacrifice their reputation over $4 million and in the case of MSU $4 mil is insignificant for a school with over $130 mil athletic revenue and school wide salaries over $900 mil.

They would have had plenty of reason to get rid of him.

Have you not heard about his testimony that he just did about a month ago for recruiting violations? Yeah, the school didn't have cause? Give me a break.

Reactions: 76-1 and bang63
They would have had plenty of reason to get rid of him.

Have you not heard about his testimony that he just did about a month ago for recruiting violations? Yeah, the school didn't have cause? Give me a break.
That testimony was after the bonus came due.

That testimony was after the bonus came due.

You don't think his speaking was set up before him stepping down? His contract literally had a date of Jan. 15 that he for a 4.3 million dollar bonus if he were coach. If State were going to fire him, why didn't they do it before that date to save that money? I mean, according to you, they were so bad, they ran him off, which obviously is something that just isn't true.

Come on man, you can't be this clueless.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Your own words were that State was so bad that they ran him off. I didn't make that up. It's quoted many, many times.
Convincing someone to step down and firing is not the same, most people know that. Do you think they wanted a Bob Knight Miles Brand controversy clouding the football program for years?

Convincing someone to step down and firing is not the same, most people know that. Do you think they wanted a Bob Knight Miles Brand controversy clouding the football program for years?

So they happened to convince him to step down the day before signing day? The worst possible day for the football program? That makes absolutely no sense.

You're wrong.

WTF??? I really hate when a post I want to comment on goes off on all kinds of tangents/arguments, and I have to try to sift through 96 comments to see if I don't reiterate what someone else has said. SMH.

So back at the topic at hand.....I really can't believe this, losing this many RB's. I know we will be fine, in the long run, but I had a question about the others. We all presumed that Gest and Walker transferred because they had become 3/4 of the depth chart. I see (according to 24/7 sports) that Gest has chosen Akron and Walker has not, yet - although they show him as 100% VA. So my question is, is there a chance Walker stays now? If James departs, he would figure to be Scott's backup again. Some enter the transfer portal, only to end up staying. (I did not include Winters because he went to SE Missouri State, which would indicate he just did not have the talent for P5.). And also.....I have heard in the past how they all love Mike Hart and he was a big reason for getting all of these RB's and keeping them all happy. Does anyone think there could be an issue with him leaving, too? I sure hope not.

Dude. I am banned from GBI. I have to go private to even look at their board. Do you guys not understand that I have an imposter? Geez. I’m also a pretty big dude. So finding out my real identity is not in your best interest.

And BTW. I’m fairly certain the imposter is Boiler1987. That guy used to troll me so hard, I’m trying to figure out if he knows me and maybe I hooked up with his sister or something?
If that's true then my apologies. However size doesn't scare me lol. I have also been trolled before so I know how frustrating that is. Whomever that poster is deserves a punch to the nose. But anyway, my apologies.

If that's true then my apologies. However size doesn't scare me lol. I have also been trolled before so I know how frustrating that is. Whomever that poster is deserves a punch to the nose. But anyway, my apologies.
Why would you apologize to this douche? Here's his post that launched this thread:
We’re starting to get the Tom Allen program that we expected to get.

Reactions: 82hoosier

Now that the S&C job has been filled with someone with impeccable credentials including time in the NFL which I am sure will play well with players and recruits. Does that alleviate your bright spot 2 concerns?

Now that the S&C job has been filled with someone with impeccable credentials including time in the NFL which I am sure will play well with players and recruits. Does that alleviate your bright spot 2 concerns?
only time will tell

another thing, if he's that good why didn't Alabama hire him?

only time will tell

Absolutely but his credentials look EVERY bit as impressive to me as the previous staff. How about to you? Especially considering his NFL tenure and since the previous staff was only here for a short time and IMO the lack of time makes it hard to evaluate the true impact of their system.

In regards to why Alabama didn't hire him. Maybe they didn't know he was available OR maybe he wasn't available to Alabama as vesusvius13 states above.

You know, money is an important thing in our world but I really think if I had an opportunity to be employed by MY Indiana University and they paid me a fair compensation, I can not see me leaving for ANY other university for virtually any amount. Sure, if IU was paying me 500K and some other school offered me some insane amount like 2M (which wouldn't happen), I would definitely have to look at it but there are MORE important things than money so I don't know if I would even take that amount. I know, easier said than done!! :);)

Maybe Alabama wasn’t impressed with his credentials.
Every school isn’t looking for the same thing,maybe in their eyes the 2 they hired are better,beauty is in the eye of the beholder:)

Oh God yes our defense is just so awful.

/s

Do you realize how asinine that argument is?
No but I know you have stated more than once that you weren't going to post on the freebie board anymore so you have lost all credibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT