ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James transferring.

I'm wondering how other Schools will view Sampson. Remember, he committed to OSU and changed his commitment to IU. One year in the IU System, and now ready to transfer? Is he a malcontent who will never be able to commit to a program and be happy and settled? Or does the potential and talent override the potential problem?

I'm wondering how other Schools will view Sampson. Remember, he committed to OSU and changed his commitment to IU. One year in the IU System, and now ready to transfer? Is he a malcontent who will never be able to commit to a program and be happy and settled? Or does the potential and talent override the potential problem?
Schools won’t hesitate trying to get him,loyalty means nothing anymore.

So if you are Ronnie Walker, Gest or Ivory Winters...do you not see the pattern: Stay strong, focused and keep working hard, things can change quickly.

I bet though David Ellis is moving to TB maybe even full time, given there are in my view a lot of tall, athletic WR's in the wings and if I'm trying to play the best players on the field, Ellis may be better at TB.

I do NOT want James to transfer, but my view for an OSU commit, and I think of Weber/Dobbins type production and if you take out the Purdue game, James did not blow me (or anyone?) away with his first 10 games of the season did he? I was eager to see him build off the PU game, but if you are #2 going into spring and transfer, you are not happy about something, and I'd only speculate, he may see some writing on the wall (Ellis & the Freshman from VA).

Would be interesting if Mr. Football could be a Rudy-like story and have success next year or ahead at IU too.

I don't love it, but the show will go on and I don't think James' production last year was that off the charts, hence not irreplaceable. But sorry to see him go.

So if you are Ronnie Walker, Gest or Ivory Winters...do you not see the pattern: Stay strong, focused and keep working hard, things can change quickly.

I bet though David Ellis is moving to TB maybe even full time, given there are in my view a lot of tall, athletic WR's in the wings and if I'm trying to play the best players on the field, Ellis may be better at TB.

I do NOT want James to transfer, but my view for an OSU commit, and I think of Weber/Dobbins type production and if you take out the Purdue game, James did not blow me (or anyone?) away with his first 10 games of the season did he? I was eager to see him build off the PU game, but if you are #2 going into spring and transfer, you are not happy about something, and I'd only speculate, he may see some writing on the wall (Ellis & the Freshman from VA).

Would be interesting if Mr. Football could be a Rudy-like story and have success next year or ahead at IU too.

I don't love it, but the show will go on and I don't think James' production last year was that off the charts, hence not irreplaceable. But sorry to see him go.

Let’s not compare Spegal to Rudy. Lol. Spegal is probably actually legit Big Ten level.

I guess that all of James’ 265 yards on the season was enough to make him think he’d reached an elite level. He said he was “staying in state to play for the home school.” B.S.
He’s a fraud and good riddance. He didn’t like this university. His loyalties are to an individual. Give me Scott and the others who value team above self. Hit the road Sampson...

I guess that all of James’ 265 yards on the season was enough to make him think he’d reached an elite level. He said he was “staying in state to play for the home school.” B.S.
He’s a fraud and good riddance. He didn’t like this university. His loyalties are to an individual. Give me Scott and the others who value team above self. Hit the road Sampson...
Allen gave him Walker's minutes. He gave him every chance.

Sampson should have red-shirted instead of coming in for mop-up minutes until the Purdue game. Well, he'll sit out a year now if he transfers to a D1 school, so he basically wasted a year.

I sarcastically speculated that James would go to Alabama, now I'm not so sure he won't. Ballou might have recommended him to Saban.
(my emphasis)

That would be shocking. First, I cannot imagine myself leaving the healthy situation he had at his alma mater. But I can certainly understand someone else doing so and I don't feel any ill will toward someone who would do so.

However, I think anyone entering such a position should make it abundantly clear that under NO circumstances should his new boss take ANY student athlete from HIS ALMA MATER, which is in the early stages of trying to build a sustainable program for the first time in ____ . . . fill in the blank. In fact, I would hope that he insisted on a clause in his new contract making it null and void if any of his former players leave Indiana without playing at IU in 2020 and then get pursued by his new boss. If any ALUMNUS did not protect his or her ALMA MATER in such a way, he or she should forevermore be persona non grata.

Someone might in some circumstances do something like that when changing employers, but he or she could never be forgiven for committing such an egregious sin against his/her alma mater. I can't imagine David Ballou ever doing that.

(my emphasis)

That would be shocking. First, I cannot imagine myself leaving the healthy situation he had at his alma mater. But I can certainly understand someone else doing so and I don't feel any ill will toward someone who would do so.

However, I think anyone entering such a position should make it abundantly clear that under NO circumstances should his new boss take ANY student athlete from HIS ALMA MATER, which is in the early stages of trying to build a sustainable program for the first time in ____ . . . fill in the blank. In fact, I would hope that he insisted on a clause in his new contract making it null and void if any of his former players leave Indiana without playing at IU in 2020 and then get pursued by his new boss. If any ALUMNUS did not protect his or her ALMA MATER in such a way, he or she should forevermore be persona non grata.

Someone might in some circumstances do something like that when changing employers, but he or she could never be forgiven for committing such an egregious sin against his/her alma mater. I can't imagine David Ballou ever doing that.
My spiny tells me that David Ballou tried to talk James out of leaving.

(my emphasis)

I hope it's not the case also. But employess are poached all the time by people who leave - it's just natural to bring along those you know.

As far as sticking it to his alma mater, he's already done that. Maybe for justified reasons, but his alma mater has made him what he is today and treated him pretty damn well. So, it doesn't look like he has a whole lot of loyalty when he shakes down IU for a raise after a 5-7 year and then is gone after 8-4.

I don't know Ballou personally, so I can't say if this is something he'd do or not. But the timing sure seems suspicious.

Quote from the Arkansas grad transfer: "I’m very interested in Indiana," Hayden told TheHoosier.com on Monday. "I watched them in their bowl game. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Coach (Nick) Sheridan, Coach (Mike) Hart and Coach (Tom) Allen."

Sounds like this was in the works for a little bit. its interesting that they were kicking the tires before James’ departure. Could be that this started after walker entered the portal...or all along the staff felt we needed more talent at the position.

Hayden does visit March 27th, then Tenn. April 4th. Remember, he's from Tenn. & his Dad played for the Vols. OTOH, he's no longer a 18yr. wide-eyed inexperienced young man, & he'll want to go where he'll see playing time.

Last edited:
Allen is bringing in talent every year and thing those on the team “you’re job is to ensure they don’t beat you out” and telling new people “here’s what you have to do to get playing time.”

Not sure James lit it up enough and post Walker (who also did t light it up) leaving IU was looking at all options. Got the FR in early, probably see more of Ellis at rb, and have an AR rb coming to visit. Maybe that spooked James, simple as that?

Allen is bringing in talent every year and thing those on the team “you’re job is to ensure they don’t beat you out” and telling new people “here’s what you have to do to get playing time.”

Not sure James lit it up enough and post Walker (who also did t light it up) leaving IU was looking at all options. Got the FR in early, probably see more of Ellis at rb, and have an AR rb coming to visit. Maybe that spooked James, simple as that?
I would say this is the least likely scenario, IMHO.

This is crap. A team trying to make a bowl game scheduled 3 wins in the nonconference. 9 conference games that include OSU, UM, and PSU is far from a soft schedule.
It didn't look like a soft schedule going in but who knew how many bad teams would be in the B1G and we got to play all of them. You do know that we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record don't you? MSU had such a bad team they ran off Dantonio and we couldn't even beat them.Last season was fools gold.

It didn't look like a soft schedule going in but who knew how many bad teams would be in the B1G and we got to play all of them. You do know that we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record don't you? MSU had such a bad team they ran off Dantonio and we couldn't even beat them.Last season was fools gold.

I know it's a tired trope at Indiana to say that "but for a handful of plays..." But seriously, do you not appreciate how close they were to beating MSU, PSU, & UT?

They ABSOLUTELY could have lost the games against Maryland, Nebraska, & Purdue, and we'd have been reflecting on another 5-7 campaign.

But we also could've have been looking at a 10-2 regular season. And that's not fool's gold. It's not a certainty that they're going to go like 9-3 or 10-2 this fall, but it's obtuse to not see that they got over one hump this season (win the 50-50 games) and are so close to getting over the next one (an upset here or there).

I know it's a tired trope at Indiana to say that "but for a handful of plays..." But seriously, do you not appreciate how close they were to beating MSU, PSU, & UT?

They ABSOLUTELY could have lost the games against Maryland, Nebraska, & Purdue, and we'd have been reflecting on another 5-7 campaign.

But we also could've have been looking at a 10-2 regular season. And that's not fool's gold. It's not a certainty that they're going to go like 9-3 or 10-2 this fall, but it's obtuse to not see that they got over one hump this season (win the 50-50 games) and are so close to getting over the next one (an upset here or there).
It is a game of inches, is it not?

The difference between mediocrity and greatness is but a few blades of grass.

Haha, put that on a poster and hang it on the wall!

Reactions: td75

We're still seeing fourth quarter fades, which is concerning, but improved/increasing depth should help - - - and maybe better strength and conditioning personnel (lol).

We're still seeing fourth quarter fades, which is concerning, but improved/increasing depth should help - - - and maybe better strength and conditioning personnel (lol).

The games we would have lost in the past: Nebraska or Maryland on the road, we won.

These are the type of 50/50 games we always lost regardless of the opponent’s overall record.

We managed to win them and that was progress. You have to win those games first before you can make a leap and start beating all the bowl teams on your schedule.

MSU won their bowl against an ACC opponent who had a good year.

The games we would have lost in the past: Nebraska or Maryland on the road, we won.

These are the type of 50/50 games we always lost regardless of the opponent’s overall record.

We managed to win them and that was progress. You have to win those games first before you can make a leap and start beating all the bowl teams on your schedule.

MSU won their bowl against an ACC opponent who had a good year.
You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm not for a second pooh-poohing our progress and accomplishments in 2019. I'm just pointing out that there were multiple games, reminiscent of seasons I'd like to forget, when we surrendered 4th quarter leads. Against Purdue, it ultimately didn't matter, but the late scores by Michigan State and Tennessee killed us. Were you in Jacksonville? I'm still not over that one. We shouldn't still be losing games when we're up by 13 late in the 4th. Hopefully we'll continue to improve in this regard and see great finishes in 2020.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Coaches and players leaving this program in droves. Not a good look at all. Tom Allen isn’t that good. It’s his coaching staff that led us to 8 wins.
You are an absolute piece of crap! I saw what you wrote to your buddies on the purdue football board in regards to the Hendershot situation. Since I'm not a paying member of Rivals these days, I don't mind getting banned over you. I really hope I find out your real identity someday. I'll be sure to come by and introduce myself.

Complete different discussion. My statement that we had an easy schedule is an absolute fact and also we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record is fact. If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game.

Reactions: DANC
You are an absolute piece of crap! I saw what you wrote to your buddies on the purdue football board in regards to the Hendershot situation. Since I'm not a paying member of Rivals these days, I don't mind getting banned over you. I really hope I find out your real identity someday. I'll be sure to come by and introduce myself.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't him.

They've got someone going around with a 1 at the end of his name so it looks like him.

Reactions: vesuvius13
JFC. I leave this board for six days and the basketball team loses two games and the football program starts hemorrhaging coaches and players.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Complete different discussion. My statement that we had an easy schedule is an absolute fact and also we didn't beat a B1G team with a winning record is fact. If the stars align and our B1G opponents suck as bad as last year we'll make a bowl game.

Yes Nebraska had a losing record. But that’s because Indiana beat them at Nebraska in front of 90,000 fans.

Dude. I am banned from GBI. I have to go private to even look at their board. Do you guys not understand that I have an imposter? Geez. I’m also a pretty big dude. So finding out my real identity is not in your best interest.

And BTW. I’m fairly certain the imposter is Boiler1987. That guy used to troll me so hard, I’m trying to figure out if he knows me and maybe I hooked up with his sister or something?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT