ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Travis.....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
I see where Sam had a pretty good game last night coming off the bench in a pinch hitter's role and getting a double. He later got a single in the 9th which allowed the Red Sox to almost pull the game out in that inning against the Rays. He's played in 22 games this season for the Sox primarily playing at 1B, but has also playing some LF. He's batting .268 for them so far. This follows up a big game by Schwarber the other night where he hit a grand slam and then a 3-run homer for seven RBIs in a Cubs win. I don't think IU will ever again see another 1-2 punch in their lineup like what those two brought, but if IU finds a pair close to that I will be happy.

I'm glad Sam is back up again and that he will hit enough to stay next season. The biggest problem for him might be a player like Bobby Dalbec, who is a big home run hitter and who could challenge for first base in a year or two.

I have seen a number of former IU players in action this year in the minors. Kyle Hart is 7-4 with a 3.54 ERA for Pawtucket. Caleb Barager and Ryan Halstead both pitched tonight for Richmond, Craig Dedelow has been playing for Winston-Salem and Tim Herrin was pitching for Lake County in the Midwest League.

One player I have lost track of Micah Johnson, whom I had hopes for when he reached the White Sox, but then went back to Triple A. He is actually a relative of a former co-worker of mine. I believe he is his aunt's daughter's son.

I've closely followed him since he left IU. I'm glad he is getting that average up. He had been struggling in the limited chances he had gotten this year, prior to this most recent stretch. 9 for 18 in his last 7 days, to get it up to .281 now. He turns 27 this month so I would have to think, this is the time to keep it going. I wouldn't mind him catching on with another team where he can get a better opportunity to play every day.

I'm glad Sam is back up again and that he will hit enough to stay next season. The biggest problem for him might be a player like Bobby Dalbec, who is a big home run hitter and who could challenge for first base in a year or two.

I have seen a number of former IU players in action this year in the minors. Kyle Hart is 7-4 with a 3.54 ERA for Pawtucket. Caleb Barager and Ryan Halstead both pitched tonight for Richmond, Craig Dedelow has been playing for Winston-Salem and Tim Herrin was pitching for Lake County in the Midwest League.

One player I have lost track of Micah Johnson, whom I had hopes for when he reached the White Sox, but then went back to Triple A. He is actually a relative of a former co-worker of mine. I believe he is his aunt's daughter's son.

Micah retired at the end of the season. He spent last season playing for the Durham Bulls (AAA - Tampa Bay Rays). Since retiring from baseball, Micah has focused on his art and started and developed an art app https://www.coartapp.com/.

He has a daughter on the way in the next few weeks, I believe. Micah is rather active on Twitter, and even more-so on Instrgram.

Micah retired at the end of the season. He spent last season playing for the Durham Bulls (AAA - Tampa Bay Rays). Since retiring from baseball, Micah has focused on his art and started and developed an art app https://www.coartapp.com/.

He has a daughter on the way in the next few weeks, I believe. Micah is rather active on Twitter, and even more-so on Instrgram.
Thank you for the information on Micah.

Reactions: Hoosier in the ATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT