ADVERTISEMENT

Saban on CCC shot with Memorial Stadium background

TomEric4756

All-American
Sep 20, 2021
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/nick-saban-on-curt-cignetti-he-has-a-great-offensive-mind/

“He was a receivers coach for us and has a great offensive mind and is a really good quarterback coach,” Saban said. “There’s a lot of people who call plays who are offensive coordinators but they’re not really good quarterback coaches. And I think Curt Cignetti is, and I think that’s why his quarterback is playing so well.”

You can't buy the type of press that Cignetti and this TEAM are attracting...

Just keep Winning and there truly are "no limits"..

BEAT Nebraska!!!

The coverage was decently fair to IU. Still seemed like Nebraska got more love from the panel.
Nebraska has been on the radar longer. They were getting respect last season and this preseason were expected to be good. Also, they have a very good defense and freshman QB. I hope we take it to them today to make more of them a believer. However, Pat McAfee certainly believes in Cignetti and IU, but Desmond and Kirk need more convincing, likely because they remember IU’s futility from when they played.

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a damn about Gameday, ESPN, or what they have to say? People on here talk about getting on Gameday like it’s the holy grail when they’re not even relevant anymore, especially if you’re a B10 fan. 20 or 25 years ago I would understand the obsession, but not now.
They’ve been doing it since the late 80’s and are a tradition. And even though they’ve distanced themselves from the B1G they still have Howard, Herbstreit, and Corso on the panel, so they’re steeped in big ten influence. Also, McAfee lives in Indy and his wife’s family are IU fans, so he has a big interest in Cignetti and IU. McAfee seems to be lobbying for a Gameday in Bloomington, too.

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a damn about Gameday, ESPN, or what they have to say? People on here talk about getting on Gameday like it’s the holy grail when they’re not even relevant anymore, especially if you’re a B10 fan. 20 or 25 years ago I would understand the obsession, but not now.
You don’t have to care what they say, but when these programs talk IUFB it’s huge free publicity. Millions of people watch these shows, including casual fans who might go to games, and of course recruits.

Big Noon is a giant advertisement for IU on national network TV right now.

Those clowns will turn it into Nebraska talk. We get no respect… part of it is the schedule but it’s absurd that we only get a few minutes in the spotlight.
I don't think their schedule has been any tougher that IU's. In fact I am pretty sure we have a better SOS to date. This is just their 2nd road game and it will be in front of 50k.
GoHoosiers

Do you think CCC wants the pressure that comes with a job like that at his age? For example, making $8M at IU is better than $12M at Florida if the stress is much lower.

I keep saying that for some people in some situations, once you get to a certain point the money doesn't/shouldn't matter. I think Cig may just be that person, and IU may just be that situation.

Again, use the big money on the staff. Have to believe Cig wants to do everything he can to keep his "family" together. That's a lot of what he talked about on the post game, how so much of his staff had been with him for many many years.

Cig could command one of those massive all guaranteed type contracts, from several schools.

I'm thinking the chances are great he stays. At nearly double what he's getting now. 7-8 mil. I don't think he'll hold us up, but if it's a bump to just 5-6 million a year vs others offering 9-10, with many years of that second one fully guaranteed... How could he not consider it? And he'll be offered it elsewhere. And his buyout is chump change to those schools.

He says the wife loves it here, and I'm sure he'll get a big bump and big guarantee. So my bet is we keep him. May lose Shanahan... If so Sunseri might be the OC anyway.

The good thing is how many times Cig has said he has 'everything he needs' here, to win. I've heard it several times in interviews.

Get his staff paid and keep them happy. Cig is happy where he's at. At some point the HC salaries are nothing more that a dick measuring contest. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I think Shanahan is going to get offered a HC job. The guy is an amazing OC and I can see his career taking off like Kalen DeBoer’s did (ironic that IU has been this gifted to have coaching talent like this so recently).

I think Shanahan is going to get offered a HC job. The guy is an amazing OC and I can see his career taking off like Kalen DeBoer’s did (ironic that IU has been this gifted to have coaching talent like this so recently).

Hate to see it, but could be. Big difference is that DeBoer had proven head coaching experience before he came to P5 as an assistant.

And he said his wife likes it here…A LOT…

Happy wife happy life Cig!!!
I read an interview with Cig when he was at JMU. Exactly like the IU interview he mentioned his old recliner, that his wife LOVED Harrisonburg and that it was his last stop. Hope we keep him but we will see.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I read an interview with Cig when he was at JMU. Exactly like the IU interview he mentioned his old recliner, that his wife LOVED Harrisonburg and that it was his last stop. Hope we keep him but we will see.
Somebody else has already posted close to this exact same thing here a few times. Never seen any evidence he said that. Not saying you're wrong, just never have seen that evidence.

Post JMU, he said he 'hadn't expected to leave' . That he could've finished his career there at a very good job. Much different than saying it was his last stop. (And despite the claim above, pretty sure he didn't say that about IU either in the wife loves it here interview.) Pretty sure JMU fans would be ALL over that, if he had said it. I haven't seen JMU fans make that claim. But maybe I'm wrong and Cig had to eat crow for saying it.

Last edited:
IU will pony up the $6.5-7mil to keep Cignetti around, that I feel confident. Will they pony up the additional $3-4 mil to keep the staff intact is the biggest question?
Good question, I think they will. Tbh, I think Cig is more concerned about his assistants getting taken care of than himself more money. I have no info, but just the vibe I get.

IU will pony up the $6.5-7mil to keep Cignetti around, that I feel confident. Will they pony up the additional $3-4 mil to keep the staff intact is the biggest question?
Hope so. Media rights keep going up and the quick math makes it look like the $ is there even with the rev share starting, though it’s hard to be sure as an outsider.

What’s the value of things like getting on Big Noon? It was a two hour commercial for IU on national network TV today. Stuff like this adds up to millions of $ of advertising value. FB pays for itself. Not even counting our game day rev will be up by several million $ this year.

The other factor imo is NIL. Hard to know our FB NIL number, I assume around $4M. Maybe that can double if our big donors get excited. The staff would like that too.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
I can’t imagine CCC would want to pull up stakes 2 years in a row and have to house hunt, move, recruit staff, players, re-recruit players already on roster, deal with the AD, president, BOT, and who knows what else, and not see the light of day for a couple of months. Which is what he had to go through here.

He’s 63, for crying out loud, and that shit gets old, fast.

I firmly believe he’s here for another year. Besides, he has to validate (homage to skins game … golf), right?

I think the real question is, what’s more important to him, money and sustaining an already strong program, or establishing a tradition here at IU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT