ADVERTISEMENT

S.Ct. blocks opioid settlement

I get it but that’s a bummer. States, counties, and munis all over the country were counting on it and it took moving mountains to get the settlement in the first place

Here's hoping they get every last dime out of the Sacklers. Hopefully, they, too will be reduced to bankruptcy.

Reactions: Cortez88
I get it but that’s a bummer. States, counties, and munis all over the country were counting on it and it took moving mountains to get the settlement in the first place

Gorsuch sounds confident this will force the Sacklers to negotiate an even better deal for the victims. I suspect the Sacklers have the resources to hide money very creatively. I imagine storing bitcoin in banks around the world would be awful hard to trace.

• Sad
Reactions: BradStevens
Gorsuch sounds confident this will force the Sacklers to negotiate an even better deal for the victims. I suspect the Sacklers have the resources to hide money very creatively. I imagine storing bitcoin in banks around the world would be awful hard to trace.
Victims is misleading. Individuals have not gotten money from the settlements. There is an opt in claim process for states, counties and munis and a formula that dictates how much each gov entity receives. Joey’s mom isn’t getting money for joey’s od

The monies are restricted for abatement and treatment

For the love of god lay off the Sacklers. We get it, what they did was wrong. Are there no other villains in the world?

Every other movie or series on streaming is tearing apart this family. This is America baby. You make money how you can. Enough already.

Last edited:
For the love of god lay off the Sacklers. We get it, what they did was wrong. Are there no other villains in the world?

Every other movie or series on streaming is tearing apart this family. This is America baby. You make money how you can. Enough already.
Figures you'd defend Purdue.

Figures you'd defend Purdue.
I’m kidding of course, but I do find it strange the enormous amount of dramatization in series and film that has been made about this family.

Also think people who blame them almost solely for the opioid epidemic go to far. The vast majority of cases are not people who got hooked on prescription opiods.

I’m kidding of course, but I do find it strange the enormous amount of dramatization in series and film that has been made about this family.

Also think people who blame them almost solely for the opioid epidemic go to far. The vast majority of cases are not people who got hooked on prescription opiods.
People everywhere for all time want a scapegoat.

What are the vast majority of cases? I haven't watched any of the shows or read about it much.

Reactions: stollcpa
I get my Fent from Marcus in Garfield Park.
LOL. I go through Garfield Park every day on my way to work. During summer of 2020 and 21, I would ride my bike straight down and then back Lake Street from Oak Park to LaSalle, through Austin and then Garfield Park, right by drug deals going down.

I hope so but I don’t like when all the parties agree to something and an outside entity blows it up
All parties did not agree. From today's decision:

Creditors were polled on the proposed plan. Though mostwho returned ballots supported it, fewer than 20% of eligible creditors participated. 21 id., at 6253, 6258. Thousands of opioid victims voted against the plan too, and many pleaded with the bankruptcy court not to wipe out their claims against the Sacklers without their consent. 635 B. R., at 35. “Our system of justice,” they wrote, “demands that the allegations against the Sackler family be fully and fairly litigated in a public and open trial, that they be judged by an impartial jury, and that they be held accountable to those they have harmed.” In re Purdue Pharma L. P., No. 7:21–cv–07532 (SDNY, Oct. 25, 2021), ECF Doc.94, p. 21 (internal quotation marks omitted). The U. S. Trustee, charged with promoting the integrity of the bankruptcy system for all stakeholders, joined in these objections. So did eight States, the District of Columbia, the cityof Seattle, and various Canadian municipalities and Tribes, each of which sought to pursue its own claims against the Sacklers. 635 B. R., at 35.​

Creditors were polled on the proposed plan. Though mostwho returned ballots supported it, fewer than 20% of eligible creditors participated. 21 id., at 6253, 6258. Thousands of opioid victims voted against the plan too, and many pleaded with the bankruptcy court not to wipe out their claims against the Sacklers without their consent. 635 B. R., at 35. “Our system of justice,” they wrote, “demands that the allegations against the Sackler family be fully and fairly litigated in a public and open trial, that they be judged by an impartial jury, and that they be held accountable to those they have harmed.” In re Purdue Pharma L. P., No. 7:21–cv–07532 (SDNY, Oct. 25, 2021), ECF Doc.94, p. 21 (internal quotation marks omitted). The U. S. Trustee, charged with promoting the integrity of the bankruptcy system for all stakeholders, joined in these objections. So did eight States, the District of Columbia, the cityof Seattle, and various Canadian municipalities and Tribes, each of which sought to pursue its own claims against the Sacklers. 635 B. R., at 35.​
That’s how it has been with the other settlements with both manufacturers and distributors. There are non participating states, counties etc. bankruptcy muddied it

How do the lawyers get paid? This might drag on quite a bit longer. The plaintiff attorneys will have more billable hours. Does that come out of the settlement amount, or a different pool.

In other words, could the settlement be enhanced yet people receive less?

How do the lawyers get paid? This might drag on quite a bit longer. The plaintiff attorneys will have more billable hours. Does that come out of the settlement amount, or a different pool.

People aren’t getting anything. Gov entities

People aren’t getting anything. Gov entities
Claimants with evidence of less than six months of Purdue opioid are to receive a $3,500 base payment. Individuals showing more than six months of Purdue opioid use qualify for the next tier, with the top tier being those who can demonstrate Purdue opioid addiction or death on OxyContin.

Claimants with evidence of less than six months of Purdue opioid are to receive a $3,500 base payment. Individuals showing more than six months of Purdue opioid use qualify for the next tier, with the top tier being those who can demonstrate Purdue opioid addiction or death on OxyContin.

interesting. that's not how it's been with J&J and the distributors settlements

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Marvin, my friend, if there is one thing I am sure of in this thing, it is that the lawyers will be paid and that they will be paid well.

It’s a bankruptcy. Everyone is a participant, whether a state or an individual.
I get that. This is one of many settlements with manufacturers and distributors. The national opioid settlements have not included individuals. Just political subdivisions. The bankruptcy is the fly in the ointment here. The other cases have settled with countless subdivisions either failing to participate or simply missing the boat. Second largest public health settlement in history. Wild stuff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT