ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsberg passes on at 87

I am sad to hear this. We know she and Scalia were goid friends, somehow we ordinary people fail at this.

I do not believe in bad luck, but 2020 has the law of large numbers really challenging my disbelief in luck.

It will be VERY interesting to see how McConnel tries to hide his double-dealing. Scalia died in Feb 2016, and for the next 10 mos Mitch held up the nominating process on the basis of Scalia being a conservative and the people having the right to choose (via election) who would fill his spot.

So here is RBG dying less than 2 mos from election day. She is the opposite of a Conservative, we are much closer to the election than we were in 2016, and the people should have the right to the same oppty that Mitch said they deserved in 2016. Right?

The question is, will people hold his feet to the fire?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
It will be VERY interesting to see how McConnel tries to hide his double-dealing. Scalia died in Feb 2016, and for the next 10 mos Mitch held up the nominating process on the basis of Scalia being a conservative and the people having the right to choose (via election) who would fill his spot.

So here is RBG dying less than 2 mos from election day. She is the opposite of a Conservative, we are much closer to the election than we were in 2016, and the people should have the right to the same oppty that Mitch said they deserved in 2016. Right?

My first reaction when I learned she had died was firetruck...well that's the nice way of saying it.

I believe the question here is about political muscle, and who has it. I do not have the answer here. Of course the Dems will do the exact same thing if they can. But do they have the muscle?

If we thought partisanship was bad, it is about to get far, far worse.

On the surface, it looks like the GOP will just try and ram this through...

The problem is that the only way the embattled GOP Senators get re-elected is if they can convince enough moderate Independents and Dems to vote for them. I think it's almost a given the Dems will take the Senate, but it seems to be even more of a certainty if Team Trump tries to push thru a SCOTUS appointee in less than 2 mos...

Republicans who might have voted against Trump, now have the Supreme Court importance to vote Trump. Think ending abortion as one example.

Great to see posters before me whose ideology might not agree with RBG have kind words for her.

There is no political downside for McConnell. The best we can hope for is a handful of Pub senators who care about doing what's right.

From Newsweek 9/17/2002. These are the people Trump was mentioning, which also makes me think he was already planning for the possibility Ginsberg did not have much longer:

Several current and former members of the administration are also on the list, presumably to thank them for their loyal service. That's also why three senators were added, including two—Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley—who have been vocal players on the judiciary committee and one—Tom Cotton—who has been a key supporter generally. Another nod to Hawley, who's questioned the efficacy of a conservative legal movement that fails to produce results for the voters who empower it, is the omission of respected D.C. Circuit Judge Neomi Rao, whose confirmation Hawley tried to stop. Since her confirmation, Rao has been writing pro-administration opinions in high-profile controversies ranging from the subpoenas for Trump's tax returns to the prosecution of former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

But few of the new names will join the high-powered old ones in being seriously considered for the next opening. Fifth Circuit Judge James Ho, a Taiwanese immigrant, is the most notable in that category, at least for the Breyer seat. And with Rao excluded, it's now almost certain that, if he gets the opportunity, Trump will tap Seventh Circuit Judge Amy Coney Barrett, from the earlier list, for the Ginsburg seat.

In short, with his new list, Trump puts pressure on Biden, shores up his own ideological base and makes regional and demographic appeals. It's a shrewd move that, whatever its jurisprudential merits, may well pay off politically as it did four years ago.

Last edited:
Republicans who might have voted against Trump, now have the Supreme Court importance to vote Trump. Think ending abortion as one example.

Great to see posters before me whose ideology might not agree with RBG have kind words for her.

She was still someone's family member. I found myself rarely agreeing with her, but I would hope most of us are not at the point where we are wishing death on political opponents or feel the need to dance on their graves.

RIP to Justice Ginsberg and all of those who are left are in for an even more bumpy ride between now and November.

There is no political downside for McConnell. The best we can hope for is a handful of Pub senators who care about doing what's right.
Murkowski says she will not vote to confirm anyone until after the election (per MSNBC TV). Not sure that means much though. She could vote during the lame duck.

Huh? The next President nominating at least one Justice has been a foregone conclusion for years.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
On the surface, it looks like the GOP will just try and ram this through...

The problem is that the only way the embattled GOP Senators get re-elected is if they can convince enough moderate Independents and Dems to vote for them. I think it's almost a given the Dems will take the Senate, but it seems to be even more of a certainty if Team Trump tries to push thru a SCOTUS appointee in less than 2 mos...
If they do it's totally wrong. I believe the death of RBG, combined with the fiasco that mailed ballots will be, virtually seals the election for Biden.

No. It will not be interesting. Mitch will do nothing. But the opening for the next president will be a rallying cry. But for which side?

RIP RBG.

Huh? The next President nominating at least one Justice has been a foregone conclusion for years.

Noodle, good point.

After some research, I realize there are now five justices over the age of 66 with Breyer being over 80. So who knows what a Trump replacement might mean in spite of RBG's passing.

Nevertheless, predict Trump to remind Reublican leaning voters about the importance of appointing Supremes with Pubs responding by turning out due to the vacancy.

Reactions: Noodle
From Newsweek 9/17/2002. These are the people Trump was mentioning, which also makes me think he was already planning for the possibility Ginsberg did not have much longer:

Several current and former members of the administration are also on the list, presumably to thank them for their loyal service. That's also why three senators were added, including two—Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley—who have been vocal players on the judiciary committee and one—Tom Cotton—who has been a key supporter generally. Another nod to Hawley, who's questioned the efficacy of a conservative legal movement that fails to produce results for the voters who empower it, is the omission of respected D.C. Circuit Judge Neomi Rao, whose confirmation Hawley tried to stop. Since her confirmation, Rao has been writing pro-administration opinions in high-profile controversies ranging from the subpoenas for Trump's tax returns to the prosecution of former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

But few of the new names will join the high-powered old ones in being seriously considered for the next opening. Fifth Circuit Judge James Ho, a Taiwanese immigrant, is the most notable in that category, at least for the Breyer seat. And with Rao excluded, it's now almost certain that, if he gets the opportunity, Trump will tap Seventh Circuit Judge Amy Coney Barrett, from the earlier list, for the Ginsburg seat.

In short, with his new list, Trump puts pressure on Biden, shores up his own ideological base and makes regional and demographic appeals. It's a shrewd move that, whatever its jurisprudential merits, may well pay off politically as it did four years ago.
James Ho has NO CHANCE at this, or the next nomination.

Noodle, good point.

After some research, I realize there are now five justices over the age of 66 with Breyer being over 80. So who knows what a Trump replacement might mean in spite of RBG's passing.

Nevertheless, predict Trump to remind Reublican leaning voters about the importance of appointing Supremes with Pubs responding by turning out due to the vacancy.

Of course Trump will remind them. And so should Biden remind his base. He'd be stupid not to.

She received 96 votes for her confirmation. I hope she is not the last to receive that kind of respect for the court and the individual justice. However, I fear she will be the last of that breed. I seldom agreed with her, and I thought she often stepped toward normalizing political activism from the bench. That said, she distinguished herself in many ways on and off the bench, including her determination in fighting cancer. She hated what Democrats did in the Kavanaugh hearing and spoke out firmly against it. In so doing she stood for the dignity of our democracy and the courts. For that she will always have my respect.

Prayers to her family.

Last edited:
No. It will not be interesting. Mitch will do nothing. But the opening for the next president will be a rallying cry. But for which side?

RIP RBG.

This election is likely to be litigated in many ways. We cannot have a SCOTUS with 8 members in the coming months.

RIP

Tough Lady
FB-IMG-1600477522209.jpg

Fvck cancer.

Of course Trump will remind them. And so should Biden remind his base. He'd be stupid not to.

Cannot help but think Pubs play the Supreme card way more effectively than the Dems.

Think abortion and Bork. The Pubs talk about these events as proof that Democrat liberalism is immoral and contrary to our political traditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT