ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers

I don’t want to think about this but it could be a real possibility. What if the 2020 season doesn’t happen? Those seniors would obviously get another year but then what becomes of the 2021 class? How many schools could get under 85? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St and Georgia would be fine because they would still have quite a bit of turnover. I think that would kill all momentum we currently have. Just a thought.

Steve Wiltfong on 24/7 stated that Rutgers will end up with a top 25 class. Wow
I teach high school in Florida. My school turns our a lot of D1 talent. Tom Allen came this spring with the new TE coach and the receiver coach and made 4 offers. Schiano came a few days later, they closed off the football field, because he arrived by helicopter with the Rutgers logo and made a bunch of offers to our players. On a positive note one of our players that was offered said it was nice but they did not want to play for a 1-11 team. We will see how Rutgers will do in the long run.

I don’t want to think about this but it could be a real possibility. What if the 2020 season doesn’t happen? Those seniors would obviously get another year but then what becomes of the 2021 class? How many schools could get under 85? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St and Georgia would be fine because they would still have quite a bit of turnover. I think that would kill all momentum we currently have. Just a thought.
The guy on corona virus in Britain predicted 2,000,000 deaths there and now retracted the prediction to 20,000. Too many are blowing this virus up too much. It is dangerous for people with respiratory issues but for others it is like the flu and not so dangerous. My problem with the total shutdown is it is stopping people without much risk developing antibodies for this virus.

It would be sad if the season is shut down but I don't see that happening as time goes by; just as Britain's guy working on the corona virus people, will find it isn't as deadly as they told exept for risk groups.

How did you come to this conclusion?

You state it like it is a fact.

The NCAA did it for spring sports. Why wouldn’t they do it for fall sports? Obviously I’m speculating and giving a worst case scenario mainly because Kirk Herbstreit said today that he would be shocked if games were played this fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean their recruits are like 5.5 and 5.6, three star guys. It’s not really anything to get excited about. Now, Maryland is bringing in some really good talent. Good thing Locksley is a horrible Head Coach.
Rutgers already has four 5.7 rated players in this class, & they are reported to lead for a couple of other 4*'s. Schiano is cleaning up in New Jersey, which has a lot of talent in 2021. So, they're getting & will continue to get good talent.

He might be right, & most of the division had a good week. Maryland landed a top 5 WDE, Michigan landed Crippen a few days ago, & OSU just landed a 5*, of course they've done that basically all year so far. No to mention Rutgers big week. We have our work cut out for us.

The NCAA did it for spring sports. Why wouldn’t they do it for fall sports? Obviously I’m speculating and giving a worst case scenario mainly because Kirk Herbstreit said today that he would be shocked if games were played this fall.

I heard a Power 5 AD interviewed on Sirius/XM who said they were walking back the idea of taking care of spring sports because of the budget busting precedent it would set for the future. It would put some Division I programs out of business.

I mean their recruits are like 5.5 and 5.6, three star guys. It’s not really anything to get excited about. Now, Maryland is bringing in some really good talent. Good thing Locksley is a horrible Head Coach.
Schiano was recruiting at a high level before he left in 2012 and the results on the field showed that over his last 7 seasons. Schiano's last class (2012), he had five 4 stars and one 5 star. That class finished ranked 23rd nationally.

Rivals' Eastcoast analyst expect 3 of those 5.7 three stars will be 4 stars on the next evaluation period. Also, Rutgers expects to cash in on two 4 stars from St. Joseph Regional HS. Their form HC is now the TE coach at Rutgers.

Schiano was recruiting at a high level before he left in 2012 and the results on the field showed that over his last 7 seasons. Schiano's last class (2012), he had five 4 stars and one 5 star. That class finished ranked 23rd nationally.

Rivals' Eastcoast analyst expect 3 of those 5.7 three stars will be 4 stars on the next evaluation period. Also, Rutgers expects to cash in on two 4 stars from St. Joseph Regional HS. Their form HC is now the TE coach at Rutgers.
Doug, Auggie Hoffman is the RB coach. Agree with the bump up in the star rating as well as them having a good chance at landing the four star RB and OL.

I thought it was only a proposal about spring sports.

It was actually instituted?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I thought it was only a proposal about spring sports.

It was actually instituted?
To my knowledge, it's still up in the air. Many think that spring sports seniors will get another year, but the devil is in the details. What about the other classes, whose playing time has been shortened as well? That junior -- next year's senior -- who would have become the starter after the senior graduated? What about the recruit, the one who would have taken the scholly that the graduating senior leaving would have opened up? And on and on and on... Once they push that first domino, the cascade will begin.

Rutgers will not go from awful to top of East overnight! Schisms can probably recruit well, but IU is in a way better position right now.

we have 10-11 seniors this fall. The talent pipeline is growing and when Rutgers has to play freshman, we will be able to redshirt and develop. I say just worry about IU continuing to recruit and develop and rest will take care of itself.

Rutgers will not go from awful to top of East overnight! Schisms can probably recruit well, but IU is in a way better position right now.

we have 10-11 seniors this fall. The talent pipeline is growing and when Rutgers has to play freshman, we will be able to redshirt and develop. I say just worry about IU continuing to recruit and develop and rest will take care of itself.
No one said that will happen. You're fooling yourself if you think they won't improve by leaps and bounds over Chris Ash led Rutgers.
Having experienced seniors is important, but talent and coached up players are the real difference makers. How else do you explain programs like Ohio State or Wisconsin having continued success?

No one said that will happen. You're fooling yourself if you think they won't improve by leaps and bounds over Chris Ash led Rutgers.
Having experienced seniors is important, but talent and coached up players are the real difference makers. How else do you explain programs like Ohio State or Wisconsin having continued success?

Schiano May get good players and they likely will improve. But IU is now on the 30 and they are on the starting line, so will take them a bit and I believe IU can keep improving each year too. I also think two years of Penix May. E lights out FB ahead. Our defense is young and adding more talent. Don’t see why we should regress suddenly!

Schiano May get good players and they likely will improve. But IU is now on the 30 and they are on the starting line, so will take them a bit and I believe IU can keep improving each year too. I also think two years of Penix May. E lights out FB ahead. Our defense is young and adding more talent. Don’t see why we should regress suddenly!
To me Schiano is a lot like Scott Frost when he took over at Nebraska. Lots of hype, but to win at Rutgers is going to take a lot of time. The big thing for Schino to stay is raising the money for new facilities. He's got to raise a lot of it and then the University will match. Everyone is optimistic right now, but lets see what happens in a year or two.

I’m not that scared of Schiano. Remember Edsall going back to Uconn? Gruden hasn’t found paydirt going back to the Raiders yet. Petrino at UofL wasn’t really good outside of Lamar Jackson. IU is never going to sweep the East, but we’ll get 2-3 wins a year out of our division.

To my knowledge, it's still up in the air. Many think that spring sports seniors will get another year, but the devil is in the details. What about the other classes, whose playing time has been shortened as well? That junior -- next year's senior -- who would have become the starter after the senior graduated? What about the recruit, the one who would have taken the scholly that the graduating senior leaving would have opened up? And on and on and on... Once they push that first domino, the cascade will begin.

Spot on. Ultimately they have to model how many Srs actually want to come back and what the repercussions would be down the line. Ultimately, if it were me...as much as it sucks I take the hit all at once in one class rather than create a cluster F for three more years.

I never said Rutgers would pass Indiana suddenly or IU shouldn't regress. Having played the game in college, I know from experience the difference between elite, average, and bad teams is not at great as some think. A good QB can be the difference in 2 additional wins. IMO that was the case when Ramsey stepped in for Penix Jr. at different points during the season. Penix Jr. is the more explosive player, but Ramsey, while athletic, is the savvier player.
To me Schiano is a lot like Scott Frost when he took over at Nebraska. Lots of hype, but to win at Rutgers is going to take a lot of time. The big thing for Schino to stay is raising the money for new facilities. He's got to raise a lot of it and then the University will match. Everyone is optimistic right now, but lets see what happens in a year or two.
Schiano has a proven track record compared to Frost. Schiano built a program from the ground up and once he started going bowling, he went 7 straight. Frost took over a UCF that was talented but experiencing issues with HC George O'Leary. Frost's fix at UCF was easier than Schiano's first time at Rutgers. Frost used it for his opportunity to parlay it into the Nebraska job. Nebraska now may be a hard job to fix because of the history of the program. Another major difference between the two is Frost has a hard time recruiting since Nebraska is not a hotbed for recruiting. Schiano is probably the only coach at Rutgers who could convince top local kids to commit from a fertile recruiting area. He did it his first time at Rutgers and right now it appears he's starting to do it again off a really bad season.

I’m not that scared of Schiano. Remember Edsall going back to Uconn? Gruden hasn’t found paydirt going back to the Raiders yet. Petrino at UofL wasn’t really good outside of Lamar Jackson. IU is never going to sweep the East, but we’ll get 2-3 wins a year out of our division.
Right now there is no reason to be scared of Schiano. Now, as stated above about Frost, the same can be said for Edsall's lack of a strong local recruiting area impacting his lack of success. It was compounded by how Edsall left UCONN the first time. Edsall left on bad terms and people haven't truly forgiven him. Local coaches and HS players have made it different for Edsall to have success and UCONN has put all of its eggs into basketball. Football is an afterthought these days.

Petrino's issues had more to do with a man focused on women and outside distractions. When Petrino is focused, he is a good coach. If you don't think Gruden is showing improvement with the Raiders, then it just pure hate. That organization is run much better and the on the product is better and that's without a ton of talent. Schiano's second term hasn't been written, so it's premature to dismiss him as a failure.

I never said Rutgers would pass Indiana suddenly or IU shouldn't regress. Having played the game in college, I know from experience the difference between elite, average, and bad teams is not at great as some think. A good QB can be the difference in 2 additional wins. IMO that was the case when Ramsey stepped in for Penix Jr. at different points during the season. Penix Jr. is the more explosive player, but Ramsey, while athletic, is the savvier player.

Schiano has a proven track record compared to Frost. Schiano built a program from the ground up and once he started going bowling, he went 7 straight. Frost took over a UCF that was talented but experiencing issues with HC George O'Leary. Frost's fix at UCF was easier than Schiano's first time at Rutgers. Frost used it for his opportunity to parlay it into the Nebraska job. Nebraska now may be a hard job to fix because of the history of the program. Another major difference between the two is Frost has a hard time recruiting since Nebraska is not a hotbed for recruiting. Schiano is probably the only coach at Rutgers who could convince top local kids to commit from a fertile recruiting area. He did it his first time at Rutgers and right now it appears he's starting to do it again off a really bad season.

Right now there is no reason to be scared of Schiano. Now, as stated above about Frost, the same can be said for Edsall's lack of a strong local recruiting area impacting his lack of success. It was compounded by how Edsall left UCONN the first time. Edsall left on bad terms and people haven't truly forgiven him. Local coaches and HS players have made it different for Edsall to have success and UCONN has put all of its eggs into basketball. Football is an afterthought these days.

Petrino's issues had more to do with a man focused on women and outside distractions. When Petrino is focused, he is a good coach. If you don't think Gruden is showing improvement with the Raiders, then it just pure hate. That organization is run much better and the on the product is better and that's without a ton of talent. Schiano's second term hasn't been written, so it's premature to dismiss him as a failure.
I disagree with you about Ramsey and Penix and I can guess why. Ramsey was more experienced but not the talent of Penix who moves in the pocket to avoid rushers and has more talent as you said as a passer. Penix also releases the ball quicker and reads the field better than Ramsey seeing receivers across the field when pressured that Ramsey didn't see. I don't see Ramsey as savvier than Penix although he has more experience. I am a former coach that broke down many films in my career and can see the differences. If Penix stays healthy you will see the difference in the two but I value Ramsey despite his shortcomings.

I will point out too that Frost has a number of 4 star players compared to IU yet can't beat IU with them. I think Frost is a good coach but he hasn't proven he can get the job done at Nebraska. I hope IU pulls in more 4 stars in the coming years to keep building the success they had in 2019.

Vesuvius,

When recruits commit or are heavily recruited by blue-bloods like Nebraska, the rankings of recruits are overstated. I can't stand it. Meanwhile, the same kid, if he commits to IU, doesn't see a bump in his rankings. In fact he might drop. How many times do see two star 5.4 kid get a bump to three star 5.7 because he going to school with a history of success? Now the other reason why Frost hasn't produced is because he's not as good of a coach people make him out to be. Frost hasn't shown the ability to develop talent. Frost inherited talent at UCF and we know when he was the OC at Oregon even a idiot could have success there.

Ramsey does lack the skills of Penix, but Ramsey's experience allows him to overcome issues on the field. As you go up each level of football (HS, college, pro), it requires more intellect than raw athletic talent. Penix will get there but for now he lacks it. Again, I think Ramsey won a game (Nebraska) that Penix may have lost.

I'm basing the comparison of Penix and Ramsey from a conversation I had with a former college teammate and my cousin. Both coach at B1G schools. Penix has the higher ceiling but they felt things clicked for Ramsey when he got his chance to play this year. They said Ramsey understood what the defense was trying to do and he made nice adjustments.

Reactions: red hornet
Not a Frost fan or hater, respect him for staying for UCF bowl game - I expect Nebraska to be a power in the west for years to come with him at the helm - we’ll see - don’t like the Rutgers trend at all...

The guy on corona virus in Britain predicted 2,000,000 deaths there and now retracted the prediction to 20,000. Too many are blowing this virus up too much. It is dangerous for people with respiratory issues but for others it is like the flu and not so dangerous. My problem with the total shutdown is it is stopping people without much risk developing antibodies for this virus.

It would be sad if the season is shut down but I don't see that happening as time goes by; just as Britain's guy working on the corona virus people, will find it isn't as deadly as they told exept for risk groups.

Wrong on all counts. Reread the research. Current modeling predicts deaths in the US to be between 100k and 2.5 million depending on the aggressiveness of the restrictive measures.

Wrong on all counts. Reread the research. Current modeling predicts deaths in the US to be between 100k and 2.5 million depending on the aggressiveness of the restrictive measures.
Not wrong in all cases and I understand as this virus continues could change my thoughts because I am not locked into what "experts" say due to they often use the worst predictions. One thing you left out was Dr Fauci said 100k-200k was the worst case and he hadn't seen it happen in the past. I have no problem with social isolation if it helps stop the virus but I know people's behavior and it won't last IE just look at NYC despite it being a hot spot right now.

Reactions: red hornet

I’m a Raiders fan. Lol. I didn’t say Gruden wouldnt be good. I’m just using that as an example of how things take time.

Not wrong in all cases and I understand as this virus continues could change my thoughts because I am not locked into what "experts" say due to they often use the worst predictions. One thing you left out was Dr Fauci said 100k-200k was the worst case and he hadn't seen it happen in the past. I have no problem with social isolation if it helps stop the virus but I know people's behavior and it won't last IE just look at NYC despite it being a hot spot right now.
The question no one has asked is why is the virus hitting NY/NJ harder? It hasn't hit other parts of the country the same way and we are weeks into this thing. Yet the experts are yelling gloom and doom for everyone else. IMO population density plays a big role, but experts ignore this fact. There are other factors such as pre-existing health conditions, closeness is a bigger factor.

The question no one has asked is why is the virus hitting NY/NJ harder? It hasn't hit other parts of the country the same way and we are weeks into this thing. Yet the experts are yelling gloom and doom for everyone else. IMO population density plays a big role, but experts ignore this fact. There are other factors such as pre-existing health conditions, closeness is a bigger factor.

Memories of two days in the Times Square area over the Christmas holidays confirms the denseness of population. Walking down a Manhattan street and pausing to scratch one’s head leaves you wondering how the hair you scratched went from straight to curley!

Vesuvius,

When recruits commit or are heavily recruited by blue-bloods like Nebraska, the rankings of recruits are overstated. I can't stand it. Meanwhile, the same kid, if he commits to IU, doesn't see a bump in his rankings. In fact he might drop. How many times do see two star 5.4 kid get a bump to three star 5.7 because he going to school with a history of success? Now the other reason why Frost hasn't produced is because he's not as good of a coach people make him out to be. Frost hasn't shown the ability to develop talent. Frost inherited talent at UCF and we know when he was the OC at Oregon even a idiot could have success there.

Ramsey does lack the skills of Penix, but Ramsey's experience allows him to overcome issues on the field. As you go up each level of football (HS, college, pro), it requires more intellect than raw athletic talent. Penix will get there but for now he lacks it. Again, I think Ramsey won a game (Nebraska) that Penix may have lost.

I'm basing the comparison of Penix and Ramsey from a conversation I had with a former college teammate and my cousin. Both coach at B1G schools. Penix has the higher ceiling but they felt things clicked for Ramsey when he got his chance to play this year. They said Ramsey understood what the defense was trying to do and he made nice adjustments.

Sounds like another Peyton who clearly wasn't the best athlete compared to other QB's, but sure knew how to read defenses.

But I'm very comfortable and happy with Penix at QB with his upside. And hope PR kills it at NU next year too! (Different supporting cast can make a difference too, so if PR doesn't light it up, some of it may be having different weapons than IU did.)

Sounds like another Peyton who clearly wasn't the best athlete compared to other QB's, but sure knew how to read defenses.

But I'm very comfortable and happy with Penix at QB with his upside. And hope PR kills it at NU next year too! (Different supporting cast can make a difference too, so if PR doesn't light it up, some of it may be having different weapons than IU did.)
It wasn't about Ramsey not being the best athlete but his arm strength and you think Penix didn't read the defense when his passing showed he did. I know you are listening to your friends but they didn't recognize how quick Penix could read the defense.

It wasn't about Ramsey not being the best athlete but his arm strength and you think Penix didn't read the defense when his passing showed he did. I know you are listening to your friends but they didn't recognize how quick Penix could read the defense.

Clearly things get lost in translation on a board like this. I'm a huge Penix fan and believer. PR had an incredible year this year and think he does use his FB smarts very well. But Penix does not get happy feet, looks downfield well, and since HS, he has been someone who doesn't turn ball over a lot.

I'm pulling for PR at NU next season for sure, but I'm all in for Penix as the starter. I think he has NFL prospect talent and think he can help take IU up a notch over the next few years to at least a 9-Windiana season!

He'll need them because his 2020 class was not particularly outstanding. These recruits will be freshmen next and inexperienced. He does have 10 recruits which is good for this time of the year.

He'll need them because his 2020 class was not particularly outstanding. These recruits will be freshmen next and inexperienced. He does have 10 recruits which is good for this time of the year.
I think you are relying on the stars as a way to judge this class, but history is playing a part in this too. Before Schiano left Rutgers the first time, his last few classes were in and or near top 25. Add the fact that regional Rivals experts think a few of his commitments will move up to four stars come the next evaluation period in June. Also, a few Rivals experts have cast their picks for several four-star recruits to commit to Rutgers soon. It's a long way to signing day, but all indicators so far favor this class to being in the top 25 neighborhood.

Indiana needs to worry about Indiana!! I don't give a damn where Maryland or Rutgers end up on signing day. What I do give a damn about is where Indiana ends up on signing day.

Indiana needs to sign top 40 classes, and preferably top 35 classes. With the strength coach coming in from the Giants, the talent and experience already on board, a healthy MP, I like our chances versus frigging Rutgers. The aim should be besting Michigan, not frigging Rutgers...

IF Penix stays healthy, he will carve Rutgers up more than Michael Meyers in those Halloween movies!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT