ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers fans: thought as a group you guys were respectful and you've got a

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
good team. Forget who it was, but someone posted a really nice run down of their team and players and it pretty much held true, and was appreciated. Curious what your players were ranked coming out of high school; do you have any that were highly regarded? Stars often seem to dictate here, but I liked how your team played and was tough minded throughout. I thought your team was beatable last night, but they just played tougher and harder than us and deserved the win. Hope we get another shot at you in the BTT and see if we can up our game.

Oh and for whichever of our fans tried to claim that Smith was quicker than their player Young: fail! Smith is a great athlete, but not particularly quick for someone who is athletic, and that kid was no doubt, the quickest on the court. Got ahead of himself a couple times.

Here's a rundown of Rivals' rankings coming out of HS (or Juco) for the guys in our 10 man rotation, by their final Rivals national ranking and stars. For those without a Rivals national rank, I also included the 247 rank in comments:

106 - 4* - Jacob Young - Committed to Texas for 2016, transferred after his sophomore season and sat out last year

108 - 4* - Montez Mathis - Was a Top 100 recruit on all services when he committed

114 - 4* - Mamadou Doucoure - Was ranked 114th in class of 2018 when he reclassified to 2017 after final rankings were done for that year (didn't play against Indiana last night)

136 - 4* - Ron Harper - Committed to us when he was a 2*, and then he really came on strong his senior season

139 - 3* - Paul Mulcahy - Averaged a triple double in HS his senior year

3* - Caleb McConnell - I believe was a 2* on Rivals and 3* on 247 when he committed. 247 had him with a national #335 ranking

3* - Myles Johnson - We were his only high major offer, as he missed his junior season with a broken kneecap. 247 had him with a national #371 ranking

3* - Geo Baker - Committed to us when he was a 2*, I believe, and Pike frequently comments how he was ranked #414 by 247 coming out of HS

3* - Shaq Carter - #7 ranked JUCO transfer last year

unrated - Akwasi Yeboah - Grad transfer from Stony Brook, who led the Seawolves in points and rebounds last year

So, we have four 100-150 guys recruited out of HS, three key transfers (Yeboah, Young, and Carter), and three under the radar guys who have outperformed expectation

Here's a rundown of Rivals' rankings coming out of HS (or Juco) for the guys in our 10 man rotation, by their final Rivals national ranking and stars. For those without a Rivals national rank, I also included the 247 rank in comments:

106 - 4* - Jacob Young - Committed to Texas for 2016, transferred after his sophomore season and sat out last year

108 - 4* - Montez Mathis - Was a Top 100 recruit on all services when he committed

114 - 4* - Mamadou Doucoure - Was ranked 114th in class of 2018 when he reclassified to 2017 after final rankings were done for that year (didn't play against Indiana last night)

136 - 4* - Ron Harper - Committed to us when he was a 2*, and then he really came on strong his senior season

139 - 3* - Paul Mulcahy - Averaged a triple double in HS his senior year

3* - Caleb McConnell - I believe was a 2* on Rivals and 3* on 247 when he committed. 247 had him with a national #335 ranking

3* - Myles Johnson - We were his only high major offer, as he missed his junior season with a broken kneecap. 247 had him with a national #371 ranking

3* - Geo Baker - Committed to us when he was a 2*, I believe, and Pike frequently comments how he was ranked #414 by 247 coming out of HS

3* - Shaq Carter - #7 ranked JUCO transfer last year

unrated - Akwasi Yeboah - Grad transfer from Stony Brook, who led the Seawolves in points and rebounds last year

So, we have four 100-150 guys recruited out of HS, three key transfers (Yeboah, Young, and Carter), and three under the radar guys who have outperformed expectation

Thanks! I really like Baker and Johnson, and their progress should tell everyone rankings aren't the end-all, be-all. Baker guards really well and had good vision; two attributes we often lack. Anyway, I'll be rooting for you guys, until we play you again.

I really don’t think Rutgers is very good. They are extremely offensively challenged. It just so happens that we are even more offensively challenged than they are. I would take Pikiell over Miller though.

I really don’t think Rutgers is very good. They are extremely offensively challenged. It just so happens that we are even more offensively challenged than they are. I would take Pikiell over Miller though.

You can be offensively challenged and still be a good tough team. They said last night some coach had said they are probably 10 pts better at home too, and I can see that. They'll beat alot of teams at their place playing like they do. Some of the good Illini and Lville teams struggled to score but lived off D, turnovers, etc... and I think that team can do the same. They have a good post presence in Johnson and are going to turn teams over and score with Baker so they can manufacture some points and teams aren't going to score a bunch and run away from them with their D on most nights.

Don’t forget that Rutgers has basically owned IU for the past 3 years.

Say what you want but their program is moving in the right direction while IU’s program is its usual self. Same old Indiana basketball.
giphy.gif

IU is a lower echelon program in the Big Ten. Amazing it gets the support that it does considering the putrid results.

They won’t be able to give away tickets at year end.
Fans should do like they do in the fall:

Go to the game but park out in the lot and have tailgates in the dead of winter. No need to go inside. Throw on a winter coat, fire up the grill and watch the game on a t.v. from the parking lot.

Reactions: Radio Zero

It's funny. Three years in a row now Indiana has lost to Rutgers and still we have to hear this whinging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT