ADVERTISEMENT

Russia claims to have compromise info on Trump

Well, I won't go as far as att is going, but, sure, I think it means at least this: I get to roll my eyes at every third party voter and eligible nonvoter that complains about Trump for the next four* years.

* Or however many he lasts.
You can roll your eyes anytime you like, even when the reason is as silly as the act of actually rolling your eyes. ;)

By the way, can't anyone complain about a President regardless of how they voted? If not, that would explain why some who voted for our Presidents could find nothing to complain about in those Presidents. Ever.

Well, I won't go as far as att is going, but, sure, I think it means at least this: I get to roll my eyes at every third party voter and eligible nonvoter that complains about Trump for the next four* years.

* Or however many he lasts.
Well this voter would also be complaining about Clinton if she got elected so what's your point. You act as though it's a given that Clinton would have been a better president. Why would any person vote for a candidate whose policies were against what they believed. People say a lot of things but don't follow through. With the exception of 3 or 4 posters on here I don't believe that ANY of them would have switched over and voted Republican no matter who the Republicans' candidate was. They would have voted for Clinton even though they knew she was a deeply flawed candidate.

By the way, can't anyone complain about a President regardless of how they voted?
Actually, yes. I was being facetious. I only jumped in to defend att's logic, which is sound, and back it up with some math, which is also sound. I'm not interested in turning it into a blame game, and I personally believe that "Don't blame me - I voted for the other guy!" is one of the dumbest bumper stickers out there.

You act as though it's a given that Clinton would have been a better president.
Huh?

Why would any person vote for a candidate whose policies were against what they believed. People say a lot of things but don't follow through. With the exception of 3 or 4 posters on here I don't believe that ANY of them would have switched over and voted Republican no matter who the Republicans' candidate was. They would have voted for Clinton even though they knew she was a deeply flawed candidate.
Most Democrats on here haven't claimed they would have voted for a Republican over Clinton. Most of them claim they would have voted for a Republican over Trump running as a Democrat. I know I would have, unless the Republican had been one of the few I liked even less than Trump, like Cruz.

I quoted information without proper info on the source I made a mistake and was wrong. I apologized. You my friend cite sources or repeat fake stories for months now claiming they are fact.

Fake = repubs don't agree with it and/or it's inconvenient

Huh?

Most Democrats on here haven't claimed they would have voted for a Republican over Clinton. Most of them claim they would have voted for a Republican over Trump running as a Democrat. I know I would have, unless the Republican had been one of the few I liked even less than Trump, like Cruz.

Trump wouldn't have a won the democratic nomination. I don't always have nice things to say about democrats, but I'm supremely confident Trump wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar.

You wouldn't have a vote on my ship. I don't vote on my ship - in that situation I give orders to be followed without hesitation or question. You do have a vote in the election.

You're dodging the question. Did votes for Johnson cause HRC to lose Ohio? You can answer yes, or no. What do you say?
Or Indiana if that is how you want to deal the cards.

So the answer is "no", but you cannot bring yourself to say it.
I answered your question several times now. Let me repeat. No set of non-Hillary voters of size less than about 446K is sufficiently large to change the outcome in Ohio. Since the Johnson voters are less than 446K they are not large enough to change the outcome. If one is not responsible for an election outcome by virtue of belonging to some set of voters smaller than the actual margin of victory it follows that nobody is responsible for election outcomes unless the election is a perfect tie. I don't dispute your logic but you don't follow your logic all the way out. When you follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion you see that it leads to nobody being responsible for election outcomes. With all due respect Captain, if you follow this tack you will run the ship aground!

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't be allowed to vote for who we think is the best person for the office.....got it.
No, you are absolutely free to vote as you think best. But the upshot of all this is that what is best is not some simple problem, it depends upon the election rules and what you think others are doing.

I answered your question several times now. Let me repeat. No set of non-Hillary voters of size less than about 446K is sufficiently large to change the outcome in Ohio. Since the Johnson voters are less than 446K they are not large enough to change the outcome. If one is not responsible for an election outcome by virtue of belonging to some set of voters smaller than the actual margin of victory it follows that nobody is responsible for election outcomes unless the election is a perfect tie. I don't dispute your logic but you don't follow your logic all the way out. When you follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion you see that it leads to nobody being responsible for election outcomes. With all due respect Captain, if you follow this tack you will run the ship aground!
Powered ships don't tack. ;)

Of course someone is responsible for election outcomes - the voters that vote in large enough winners for their candidates to win.

I find your premise fairly worthless as it applies to every election in US History. My point was simple - if every Johnson voter in Ohio had voted for HRC (another silly idea, incidentally, as they would have split), HRC would have lost the election in Ohio just the same. That is indisputable, this is all I wanted you to acknowledge, and I'm officially done with this silly argument.

Simple. I voted for several down ballot candidates, and I voted against bother major party candidates. I achieved all my voting objectives.
Suppose that a Captain of a ship faces a morally tough decision where he doesn't like either of the outcomes. Can he delegate that decision to someone else and thereby avoid responsibility for the decision?

Reactions: Bill4411
Aloha Goats explanation is pretty simple that I even understand it!
Of course it's simple - in every election in our history the loser would have been the winner if everyone that voted third party or didn't vote had voted for said loser instead. I say again, so what? It's a useless fact.

Suppose that a Captain of a ship faces a morally tough decision where he doesn't like either of the outcomes. Can he delegate that decision to someone else and thereby avoid responsibility for the decision?
See previous post while I go run five miles.

Or Indiana if that is how you want to deal the cards.
There were 17 Presidential candidates who received votes in Indiana including write ins. Trump won by 524,000 votes over Clinton. Trump got more that 375,000 more votes than Clinton and the other 15 combined. If CLinton had gotten them all she'd have been skunked slightly less than she was.

Of course it's simple - in every election in our history the loser would have been the winner if everyone that voted third party or didn't vote had voted for said loser instead. I say again, so what? It's a useless fact.
No he is saying you could add Johnsons and the other two candidates vote totals in Ohio to HRC vote total and she would have still lost the State

See previous post while I go run five miles.
Have a great run. But maybe reflect that the issues here are not silly at all. At a broad level the question of collective responsibility has to be close to the top of the list of vexing problems for Naval Captains. At least I would think.

No, you are absolutely free to vote as you think best. But the upshot of all this is that what is best is not some simple problem, it depends upon the election rules and what you think others are doing.
Game theory time!

Imagine two voters, one conservative and one liberal, who are faced with an election in which they have to choose between their candidate and a third-party candidate (because they would never consider voting for the other major candidate). They both assign a value of +1 to their own candidate, 0 to the third-party candidate, and -10 to the other major candidate. The rules of the game are this: if they both vote third-party, then third-party wins; if one votes third party, then the other major candidate wins; if they both vote for their own candidate, it's a toss-up, and the expected value for both is an average of the two major candidates. This simple game can be put into a matrix as thus, with Player 1 (on the left) as the conservative:
Code:
1 / 2      Own       Third
Own    -4.5, -4.5    1, -10
Third    -10, 1       0, 0
The ideal outcome overall would be to agree to vote for the third-party candidate, with an overall total value of 0, while every other outcome has an overall value of -9. However, you can easily see that, from the point of view of either voter, it is always more valuable to vote for their own candidate (e.g., if Player 2 votes for their own candidate, their own return will increase, from either 0 to 1, or from -10 to -4.5). Thus, although working together would be best, the best individual strategy is to vote for your own candidate, because if you don't, you risk helping elect that giant -10 staring you in the face from the ballot.

There were 17 Presidential candidates who received votes in Indiana including write ins. Trump won by 524,000 votes over Clinton. Trump got more that 375,000 more votes than Clinton and the other 15 combined. If CLinton had gotten them all she'd have been skunked slightly less than she was.
This is why people who don't like the outcome of an election looking for people to blame should look at nonvoters before they look at third-party voters. If every eligible voter who didn't vote had come out to vote for Clinton, she would have won every single electoral vote (if we limit ourselves to registered voters, she would have lost NE-3).

I've been defending att's theory in this thread, because I think the logic and math back it up, but in real life, if you want to "blame" someone for an election, the top two villains should be:
1. People who voted for the bad guy.
2. People who didn't vote at all.

Third-party voters come in at #3, but there is a huge gap between them and #2.

Reactions: DrHoops
Yup. We can proudly say we were the first state that was declared a Trump victory :)

I don't mean to speak for him, but I don't think that's fair. What he's really saying is that everyone who could have voted for Clinton but chose not to shares some of the responsibility for electing Trump. The only people with entirely clean hands are Clinton voters and people who couldn't vote. And that's a perfectly accurate way to look at it. In fact, we can even quantify how much blame different groups have, by comparing the size of the group in question to the number of votes needed to swing their state. For example, in the closest state, Michigan:

MI_Trump..........2279543.....5353....425.84
MI_Nonvoters......2860716....10705....267.23
MI_AllThirdParty...250902....10705.....23.44
MI_Johnson.........172136....10705.....16.08
MI_Stein............51463....10705......4.81
MI_Others...........19126....10705......1.79
MI_McMullin..........8177....10705......0.76

These are various voting blocs, total votes, and the number needed to swing to change the outcome. The last column is simply the ratio between votes and swingers needed. Scores below one could not physically change the outcome on their own. The higher the score, the more "responsibility" that bloc holds. One thing worth pointing out to people blaming third-party voters is this: nonvoters played a much bigger role than even all third party voters combined. That would almost certainly hold true in every single state.

All that said, the point is that att's general argument holds: every voter (or nonvoter) represented on that list played a role in helping Trump win Michigan. The only people who didn't were people who actually voted for Clinton or were ineligible to vote, anyway.
I very much appreciate your jumping in on this exchange. As someone with an interest in this kind of mathematical analysis of voting it is cool to see you bring in the data and take a shot at apportioning responsibility. I haven't thought about how to score a level of responsibility as you do but something like that ought to be possible. The most important point I think that you are making is that changing the behavior of a Trump voter to a vote for Hillary has an larger impact than changing a non-voter to a vote for Hillary. The goal should be to assign responsibility not to arbitrary blocks but to individuals. It makes sense to me to say that people who actually voted for Trump are twice as responsible as those who abstained or voted third party.

This is why people who don't like the outcome of an election looking for people to blame should look at nonvoters before they look at third-party voters. If every eligible voter who didn't vote had come out to vote for Clinton, she would have won every single electoral vote (if we limit ourselves to registered voters, she would have lost NE-3).

I've been defending att's theory in this thread, because I think the logic and math back it up, but in real life, if you want to "blame" someone for an election, the top two villains should be:

I don't see your argument for treating 3rd party types different from abstainers. Can you help me understand?

Also, how about instead of saying we are assigning blame we say we are assigning responsibility? If Trump turns out to be a great President then the Trump voters should be able to claim greater credit for that outcome than abstainers. Hillary voters will deserve none.

Last edited:
I don't see your argument for treating 3rd party types different from abstainers. Can you help me understand?
Because the abstainer group is so much larger, and we've been focused on group blame, rather than individual blame. Obviously, when you portion that out per voter, the individual blame will be the same for a member of either group.

Also, how about instead of saying we are assigning blame we say we are assigning responsibility? If Trump turns out to be a great President then the Trump voters should be able to claim greater credit for that outcome than abstainers. Hillary voters will deserve none.
Yes, I've bounced between "responsibility" and "blame." When I use the word "blame," it's only because it's shorter. Sloppy on my end.

Because the abstainer group is so much larger, and we've been focused on group blame, rather than individual blame. Obviously, when you portion that out per voter, the individual blame will be the same for a member of either group.
We could do something like this. Use the actual number of voters of each type in a state and call the proportions of each type an expected proportion. Then we could calculate following methods existing in the literature a probability that (1) switching one persons vote from Trump to Hillary; or (2) switching one persons vote from abstain to Hillary, changes the election outcome from Trump to Hillary. This leads to a responsibility score that is 0 for a Hillary voter because changing a vote from Hillary to something else never effects the outcome in events 1 or 2 above. It should lead to a responsibility score that is some amount greater for Trump voters than abstainers or third party voters. But abstainers and third party voters will have the same score as far as I can see.

I love game theory, and in the end I used it to rationalize my Clinton vote and used it to try and convince Bernie Bro friends. But there are people out there, specifically Libertarians but also others, who believe game theory is why we are trapped with bad choices. It is impossible for a good third party to challenge the two if we all ascribe to game theory.

We could do something like this. Use the actual number of voters of each type in a state and call the proportions of each type an expected proportion. Then we could calculate following methods existing in the literature a probability that (1) switching one persons vote from Trump to Hillary; or (2) switching one persons vote from abstain to Hillary, changes the election outcome from Trump to Hillary. This leads to a responsibility score that is 0 for a Hillary voter because changing a vote from Hillary to something else never effects the outcome in events 1 or 2 above. It should lead to a responsibility score that is some amount greater for Trump voters than abstainers or third party voters. But abstainers and third party voters will have the same score as far as I can see.
Yes, no matter how you parse that math, individual abstainers and individual third-party voters will end up with the exact same result, and individual Trump-voters will end up with a, say, "responsibility score" exactly twice that of the others, at least within the same state. Obviously, under your parameters (which I agree with), scores will vary from state to state based on things like the number of electoral votes assigned to the state, the actual vote margin in the state, and how far the actual margin deviates from the expected margin.

That's going to be a lot of math, though, and I'm gearing up for a day of basketball in about 17 minutes, so have fun. :D

Game theory time!

Imagine two voters, one conservative and one liberal, who are faced with an election in which they have to choose between their candidate and a third-party candidate (because they would never consider voting for the other major candidate). They both assign a value of +1 to their own candidate, 0 to the third-party candidate, and -10 to the other major candidate. The rules of the game are this: if they both vote third-party, then third-party wins; if one votes third party, then the other major candidate wins; if they both vote for their own candidate, it's a toss-up, and the expected value for both is an average of the two major candidates. This simple game can be put into a matrix as thus, with Player 1 (on the left) as the conservative:
Code:
1 / 2      Own       Third
Own    -4.5, -4.5    1, -10
Third    -10, 1       0, 0
The ideal outcome overall would be to agree to vote for the third-party candidate, with an overall total value of 0, while every other outcome has an overall value of -9. However, you can easily see that, from the point of view of either voter, it is always more valuable to vote for their own candidate (e.g., if Player 2 votes for their own candidate, their own return will increase, from either 0 to 1, or from -10 to -4.5). Thus, although working together would be best, the best individual strategy is to vote for your own candidate, because if you don't, you risk helping elect that giant -10 staring you in the face from the ballot.
Why does @Aloha Hoosier hate John Nash so much?

Reactions: UncleMark
Yes, no matter how you parse that math, individual abstainers and individual third-party voters will end up with the exact same result, and individual Trump-voters will end up with a, say, "responsibility score" exactly twice that of the others, at least within the same state. Obviously, under your parameters (which I agree with), scores will vary from state to state based on things like the number of electoral votes assigned to the state, the actual vote margin in the state, and how far the actual margin deviates from the expected margin.

That's going to be a lot of math, though, and I'm gearing up for a day of basketball in about 17 minutes, so have fun. :D
A good stopping place!!! Thanks!

I guess that's progress. ;)

A good stopping place!!! Thanks!
The recent discussion in several of the last posts is an overview of why polling firms go to great pains, sometimes unsuccessfully, to identify likely voters and even certain voters and fashion their samples to reflect the actual electorate. They missed this time on their samples and thus got the wrong outcome state by state in the swing states.

For one thing, a lot of those third party voters would have voted for Trump if they absolutely had to choose between them. Those voters helped HRC by voting third party instead. Another thing is that this entire "blame" thing for any election all depends on perspective of who's doing the blaming. I shouldn't have responded again. I'm out. Had a good run and I'm watching Duke at UofL now.

who believe game theory is why we are trapped with bad choices.
A similar game actually explains that, as well. If you assume that both sides actually prefer the third party candidate (say, by assigning him a +2 in the matrix), then it becomes advantageous for both sides to vote third party, but only in the first election, and then so long as the third party continues to win. As soon as you have one election in which one of the major candidates wins, it becomes advantageous for the supporters of the loser to switch their strategy in an attempt to avoid a similar outcome in the next election, thus trapping us within the two-party system.

NB: All this game theory is really just a mathematical explanation for something that political scientists developed independently, now called "Duverger's Law." In short, it's simply the observation that plurality voting tends toward two-party systems along with explanations for why/how that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Just a thought, Dave.

The problem with your Stormfront debacle isn't that you shared an article without checking out the source. I mean, that's a problem, but it's not really why people are flabbergasted by what you did. The real problem is that you read an article on Stormfront, and said to yourself, "Yeah, that sounds about right." If you find yourself agreeing with Mein Kampf, it's no excuse that you didn't realize Hitler wrote the book; there's something inherently wrong with you.

Now, I totally understand (and empathize) that it might be frustrating to have deal with the same thing directed at you for years on end (go ask the AOTF, "What's Goat's opinion of Collin Hartman?" and you'll see what I mean), but when you discover that you agree with Nazis, maybe instead of focusing on the fact that you didn't notice they were Nazis, a little self-reflection might be in order.
So, by your logic if I hear a nazi say, "I like bratwurst" and I happen to agreee, that makes ME a nazi?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT