ADVERTISEMENT

RPI and Strength of Schedule

GeoFisher

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2004
So I was looking at a site, and trying to figure out how our strength of schedule is improving based on our top 20 wins, and wins over other teams that have beat better teams.

I'm sure these wins will definitely help if we're a bubble team. I'd much rather be an obvious player in the tourney, but I'm thinking solid wins over solid teams will help us get in if we were on the bubble.

This is a site I've been looking at, and it shows our strength of schedule being 40. WE have played 3 teams with a higher strength of schedule and beat one of them.

I was just wondering how others feel about this statistical stuff.

We're now 5-4 against teams ranked in the top 100. I think that's what the committee looks at.

They look at a lot of things.

The key for us right now is avoid losing games to teams below 100 (NW and PUR are the only ones we still have to play--NEB is below 100 but we don't play them again, RUTG went above 100 after beating WIS but could fall back again). With BUT, SMU and OSU, we have quality-enough wins to get in, so it's more about avoiding bad losses and giving the committee a reason to exclude us.

See 2012-13 Iowa for a case study. Iowa had some good wins (WIS twice, IAST and ILL) and was 21-12 after they were eliminated by MSU in the BTT (10-10 in conference if you add their BTT games). The bad news was they also had three losses to sub-100 teams (VT, PUR and NEB), and they were spurned for the Dance.

ADVERTISEMENT