ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Moore done fo(u)r?

The Republicans are screwed and it's their own doing. It's what happens when you nominate crazies to represent your party. CO's favorite candidate, Sarah Palin, was a serious move in the direction of losing your party. Trump was the topper. Roy Moore is not going anywhere. He won't drop out of the race. Why would he? To do so would admit guilt. It would end any hope of not only politics, but visible future business opportunities. And his past history of having to be forced off the bench, twice, demonstrates his mindset. But if he's elected the Republicans are worse off. There is no way the Senate will allow him to be seated. They will take action against him. And that will lead to lawsuits. And the courts will be a long approach to a solution. That's one less vote in the Senate for Republicans. This "tax reform bill" is only going to get harder to pass the closer we get to the end of the year. Republican leadership will get desperate. They will have to pair the bill down, but that will lose support from conservatives. If they pass anything, it will be a very watered down version. That will anger their donors. Trump and Bannon have put the Senate and House in jeopardy. Of course the Alabama election could go forward and Moore could lose outright. Imagine how the election of the first Democratic Senator from Alabama since the 60s will play out in the 2018 national elections.

I’m waiting for republican “leadership” to side step this by saying “This is a state’s rights issue. The people of Alabama have spoken”. In 2-3 more weeks this’ll be an “I’m not here to rehash the past, we need to move this country forward” issue for Ryan and the like. Add something about “freedom and liberty” in there somewhere.

Reactions: Classof96'
Rushbo says checkmate liberals, Roy Moore was a Democrat back then

Last edited:
Someone is paying for a robocall to Bama voters claiming that WaPo is offering money for women to make "damaging remarks" about Moore. You'll note that it's not possible for someone to actually contact the supposed caller, so the only possible purpose of the call is to simply plant the idea that the evil liberal media are out to get him.

http://wkrg.com/2017/11/14/curious-robocall-seeks-damaging-information-on-moore/

Edit: Sometimes I love Twitter.

Last edited:
Another 'with friends like this, who needs enemies' moment:

Maybe men in AL go into dain bramage mode when they start talking to attractive women outside the context of a kitchen?

WTF? That's pretty shady.
It's super shady. The key detail is that the robocall leaves only a fake email address that bounces back for contact. In other words, the purpose of the call isn't for anyone to actually contact anyone else. The only purpose for the call is for people to hear it.

"Hi, I'm a liberal Jew from DC, and I want to destroy a good Alabama Christian man."

That's the message.

Edit: redundancy

Last edited:
It's super shady. I linked a local story about it above. The key detail is that the robocall leaves only a fake email address that bounces back for contact. In other words, the purpose of the call isn't for anyone to actually contact anyone else. The only purpose for the call is for people to hear it.

"Hi, I'm a liberal Jew from DC, and I want to destroy a good Alabama Christian man."

That's the message.

The only thing missing was the message should have been spoken in Yiddish.

Last edited:
It's super shady. The key detail is that the robocall leaves only a fake email address that bounces back for contact. In other words, the purpose of the call isn't for anyone to actually contact anyone else. The only purpose for the call is for people to hear it.

That's the message.

Edit: redundancy

What kind of creep signs a high school kid's yearbook?

A super friendly guy even back then...

aptopix_alabama_senate_moore_248705232.jpg

Is there not something someone can do legally? There has to be a line drawn with all these fake news/calls at some point for the future of the nation.

Well put. There are several instances of this and our memory seems to be quite short for large-scale events such as the Duke rape case.

After ruining the lives of three Duke LAX members and admitting to false accusations of rape, the crazy woman has been up to some even crazier things:

In February 2010, she was arrested on charges of attempted murder of her live-in partner, Milton Walker.[2] She was eventually convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer.[3]

In November 2013, she was found guilty of second-degree murder after she repeatedly stabbed boyfriend Reginald Daye, who died 10 days after she attacked him.[4] She was sentenced to 14 to 18 years in prison.[5]

This was one person's word. This is 30(!) People's word. Not comparable IMO. At all.

And these women voted republican, and for Trump.

In general, I'm all about innocent until proven guilty. But Romney was dead on in his statement. Being unfit for office does NOT equal guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. It sucks that Trump lowered the bar for office holders. But holding higher office (the Senate is very high) should mean something and involve folks that are decent human beings.

This was one person's word. This is 30(!) People's word. Not comparable IMO. At all.

And these women voted republican, and for Trump.

In general, I'm all about innocent until proven guilty. But Romney was dead on in his statement. Being unfit for office does NOT equal guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. It sucks that Trump lowered the bar for office holders. But holding higher office (the Senate is very high) should mean something and involve folks that are decent human beings.
We were all very happy to recognize and accept the Louis CK thing as an "open secret" before he even admitted to it. At this point, the Moore thing seems pretty similar. Open secret. Hard to deny at this stage.

Is there not something someone can do legally? There has to be a line drawn with all these fake news/calls at some point for the future of the nation.
Probably not. I mean, this is obviously wrong. And in a just universe, it would be punishable by something. But to craft a law, you have to find a way to draw a line between criminal and non-criminal, and that's really, really hard to do with lying. I mean, we do it with defamation, and even there, we've found it so difficult, we've defanged the laws incredibly. It's just not very easy to find a way to define what should be banned without oozing over into actually infringing genuine free speech.

Conundrum of democracy, I guess. It's like Popper's tolerance paradox.

Probably not. I mean, this is obviously wrong. And in a just universe, it would be punishable by something. But to craft a law, you have to find a way to draw a line between criminal and non-criminal, and that's really, really hard to do with lying. I mean, we do it with defamation, and even there, we've found it so difficult, we've defanged the laws incredibly. It's just not very easy to find a way to define what should be banned without oozing over into actually infringing genuine free speech.

I guess this is where Asia democracies are a step ahead. There will be absolutely no trust in what is factual going forward other than what you chose to believe.

Asian democracies have found a way to legally ban political deception? With no free speech problems? News to me.

You hope for benevolent dictators or you sue the idiots! ;)
You can't have a society, a functional one where there is an eventual complete distrust of the facts or individuals/organisations; who's aim is to drive a wedge between truth and some false equivalent. There has to be a line drawn. Bernie Bernstein is just pure anti-semitic.
There has to be some informational 'broken window'
tipping point or otherwise there will be anarchy.
There has to be some legislative or legal solution that can be proposed.

Last edited:

If the Democrats have any brains at all, they "anonymously" run write-in campaigns for three or more Republicans, say Sessions, Strange, and George Wallace*. Ticket splitting got Trump nominated.

* Plenty of face recognition with the CO.H types in Alabama. :rolleyes:

With Alabama politicians steadfastly supporting Moore, the obvious question for journalists is, what skeletons do they have in their closets? May be a lot of scoops for the taking.

If the Democrats have any brains at all, they "anonymously" run write-in campaigns for three or more Republicans, say Sessions, Strange, and George Wallace*. Ticket splitting got Trump nominated.

* Plenty of face recognition with the CO.H types in Alabama. :rolleyes:

Just get some dude to do a real thick southern accent to say Roy Moore is against God and to write in anyone but him or just not even vote. You’ll get a few to stay home...especially them ones that don’t write no good no ways.

Response to those Evangelicals saying it was a long time ago or that's what guys are supposed to do: What about him lying about it now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT