ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

Vanderbilt has the #1 PF and #3 PG signed already.
Our lowest rated signee #57 Nationally is almost higher than Indiana’s top recruit.

Vanderbilt also has 5 Star #2 PF EJ Montgomery officially visiting after these All-Star games. Allegedly a package deal with Romeo.

There’s a reason Vanderbilt is a serious contender. Romeo and EJ would technically give Vanderbilt the #1 overall class over Duke. Would Romeo even make Indiana a top 20 class based on average player rating? Serious question.

I get the hometown pull (sort of, even though he’s been a Louisville fan his whole life and it’s right outside Louisville) for Indiana. That would be tough to turn down. But there’s a 0% chance to win a title at Indiana next year. Vanderbilt could have 4 5 Star True Freshman starters along with a high 4 star that led the nation in 3% percentage. That team would have a shot.

According to 247calculator, if Romeo committed to IU, IU would jump Vandy in class rankings (would move IU to 66.03, ahead of UK (65.02) and Vandy (64.54).

Also, haven't heard much hype about EJ to Vandy. Sounds very interested in Duke, UNC, or UK. Obviously, recruiting is very fluid and anything can change with kids though.

Moreover, there was speculation that Romeo and Darius were a package deal, which Tim Langford said in an interview that that isn't true. I remember that people felt Zion was going to UK because they felt he wanted to play with Quickley, or even to South Carolina when Bowen went (obviously turned out to be inaccurate). Package deals typically don't work out. Kids look out for what's best for themselves at the end of the day.

With Drew’s coaching, Vanderbilt is not a contender. Shittu has a bum knee. Juwan Morgan is better than any player on Vandy’s roster.

Does any Vandy fan find it just the slightest bit suspicious that Drew is in deep with players who were either going to commit or were committed to the schools busted by the FBI? How the hell does a program with minimal tradition nab a five star Canadian forward who played their high school basketball in Vermont? Why the hell are five star players interested in playing for a coach who led his team to its first 20 loss season in program history?

Last edited:
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...077002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Romeo will decide late April where to commit.

In terms of a location...They are considering several options, including making the announcement at the school or perhaps out in the community, with New Albany Mayor Jeff Gahan helping to reveal Romeo’s decision.

Sounds like it would be weird to announce at H.S or in New Albany if he wasn't staying home...

Speculate away!
Mayor is an Iu alum too

Our lowest rated signee #57 Nationally is almost higher than Indiana’s top recruit.

Vanderbilt also has 5 Star #2 PF EJ Montgomery officially visiting after these All-Star games. Allegedly a package deal with Romeo.

There’s a reason Vanderbilt is a serious contender. Romeo and EJ would technically give Vanderbilt the #1 overall class over Duke. Would Romeo even make Indiana a top 20 class based on average player rating? Serious question.

I get the hometown pull (sort of, even though he’s been a Louisville fan his whole life and it’s right outside Louisville) for Indiana. That would be tough to turn down. But there’s a 0% chance to win a title at Indiana next year. Vanderbilt could have 4 5 Star True Freshman starters along with a high 4 star that led the nation in 3% percentage. That team would have a shot.
Lol!! Vandy isn't winning shit

To also shed more light on this, top recruiting classes don't always correlate with actual success. Last year's Final 4 teams had underwhelming recruiting classes... South Carolina (65th), Gonzaga (20th), Oregon (21st), UNC (14th).

Even look at this year's top 10 recruiting classes and their seeding...

1. Duke (2 seed)
2. UK (5 seed)
3.Zona (4 seed)
4. Mizz (8 seed)
5. UCLA (11 seed)
6. Texas (10 seed)
7. Louisville (NIT)
8. Bama (9 seed)
9. KU (1 seed)
10. Miami (6 seed)

Pretty clear the idea that a top 10 recruiting class= top ten team isn't a given.

Point being, it's as important about what your team is returning as what it is bringing in/ coaching.

giphy.gif

I come in peace! I’m a huge pacers fan (THIRD PLACE) so I keep up with IUBB as well.

Would support Romeo at IU. Would not fault him at all for choosing IU. Simply providing rationale on why he would consider a 12-20 Vanderbilt program.

Playing with 3 other 5 stars has an appeal to the kid. But I’m sure playing in front of a billion Indiana fans does as well. Let’s just get this kid to the Pacers ASAP.
It takes a culture being built over time. Not throwing a bunch of 5 stars together and roll out the ball.

lol...Vandy buys a couple of players coming off a 20 loss season now they have fans. Even cocky ones at that. Vanderbilt has accomplished nothing and they will continue to accomplish nothing.

Reactions: IUgradman

Who cares about the class, he is going to be there 1 year. IU has a potential all American power forward coming back along with upper class man with experience. Calipari has been riding the freshmen studs for a while now and he struggled to stay in the top 25. IU is an elite scorer away from being a top 10-15 team next year. It is literally a perfect match for Romeo. I have no info, but common sense for his situation would be to go to a program that has players in place ready to compete.

You have no idea. Stop acting like you do. You have no clue what Romeo looks for in a school. He never said that playing with a friend is important to him. It’s a coach that could develop his players to prepare him for the NBA.

It's kind of sadly funny to see posters who have no clue vehemently chastising other posters for having no clue.

It's kind of sadly funny to see posters who have no clue vehemently chastising other posters for having no clue.

old dude here, so feel free to let me have it.

really people, get a grip and compose yourselves.

Vandy is a great school. bad mouthing the school, it's program, and coach, to a ridiculous degree, isn't a good look.

IU is IU, Big 10, loves bball, and Btown is a special place.

hopefully we can be attractive to gifted players even against other really good schools and programs.

lol...Vandy buys a couple of players coming off a 20 loss season now they have fans. Even cocky ones at that. Vanderbilt has accomplished nothing and they will continue to accomplish nothing.[/QUOTE
Uh, I don't think we've accomplished a whole lot ourselves.
Anybody can have a down season and we sure have had our share lately.

Lol you are comparing IU to Vandy? Wow. IU has 5 national championships, Vandy has never even been to a final 4. IU in their worst stretch ever has won the conference twice in the last 6 years, Vandy in a football conference hasn't won theirs since 1992. I understand IU hasn't been great lately but still nowhere near Vandy bad. IU will be back soon, Vandy will remain irrelevant. Especially once they get caught for cheating.

No, sure wasn't comparing the 2 but stating that we haven't been that great lately either but sure hope that changes soon.

Lol you are comparing IU to Vandy? Wow. IU has 5 national championships, Vandy has never even been to a final 4. IU in their worst stretch ever has won the conference twice in the last 6 years, Vandy in a football conference hasn't won theirs since 1992. I understand IU hasn't been great lately but still nowhere near Vandy bad. IU will be back soon, Vandy will remain irrelevant. Especially once they get caught for cheating.
Drew is bringing in shittu who nobody would touch. Nothing to see here I guess!!!1

Who cares about the class, he is going to be there 1 year. IU has a potential all American power forward coming back along with upper class man with experience. Calipari has been riding the freshmen studs for a while now and he struggled to stay in the top 25. IU is an elite scorer away from being a top 10-15 team next year. It is literally a perfect match for Romeo. I have no info, but common sense for his situation would be to go to a program that has players in place ready to compete.
Calipari led that team to winning the conference tourney, and is playing in the tourney as a 5 seed. With 4 Final Fours and a title in the last 8 years.

We’re sitting at home again for the 6th time in 10 years. It’s always next year for IU fans. Maybe we need to adjust our strategy.

Calipari led that team to winning the conference tourney, and is playing in the tourney as a 5 seed. With 4 Final Fours and a title in the last 8 years.

We’re sitting at home again for the 6th time in 10 years. It’s always next year for IU fans. Maybe we need to adjust our strategy.
I was using Calipari as the reference point for the ceiling for a class full of freshmen, because he has been the most successful having the best class almost yearly and is a 5 seed. If you want to say Bryce Drew can do what Calipari does next year, feel free. I live in the real world.

While I agree that Vandy is nothing like IU, IU's worst 6 year stretch wasn't the last 6 years.

That would probably be the last year of Davis, the 2 years of Sampson, and Crean's first 3 years. No conference championships, 3 NCAA bids, 2-3 in the tournament, no S16's...followed by Crean's 3 straight ugly years.

Probably still quite a bit better than Vandy's worst 6 year stretch. There may be other stretches in there that are worse, depending on what you value.

I was using Calipari as the reference point for the ceiling for a class full of freshmen, because he has been the most successful having the best class almost yearly and is a 5 seed. If you want to say Bryce Drew can do what Calipari does next year, feel free. I live in the real world.
Drew will be lucky to win 20 games even with 3 top ten players. He is not a good coach.

This was posted by the goat on the pay board.

FWIW, since the one-and-done era began with the 2006-2007, here is a complete list of NCAA champions that had a freshman on the roster who subsequently left for the NBA that summer:

2012 Kentucky (3)
2015 Duke (3)
2017 UNC (1)

That's it. Every other champion had zero one-and-dones on the roster.

Again, I believe the template to use these days is the UNC, Villanova, Virgina model. Build the foundation and sprinkle one and dones as a weapon.

Romeo addresses his decision timetable and how his decision will be a family decision. I don’t think that Garland is family :D

http://newsandtribune.cnhi.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=29abe4fe5

This may sound silly as hell, but THE reason I want Romeo in Btown? He such a great kid. “Yes sir” - you don’t hear that very often from kids his age. And he just plays; no whining or griping, no trash talk, no “look-at-me” demonstrations.

Calbert has always been my favorite all-time, but Langford could seriously challenge for that spot.

Last edited:

Thought we already did... Can Archie get a few years to build a team?

This shit is tiring. We started adjusting our strategy this year. Short of doing the crap the FBI is currently investigating (Calipari), WTF is it you would have us do right now?

Dear posters, these type of posts do not make you sound smart.

Reactions: jet812
This shit is tiring. We started adjusting our strategy this year. Short tog doing the crap the FBI is currently investigating (Calipari), WTF is it you would have us do right now?

Dear posters, these type of posts do not make you sound smart.
The FBI is investing Calipari? Any more than they’re investigating IU/Crean? You must have info no one else in the country has to be making these claims.

The FBI is investing Calipari? Any more than they’re investigating IU/Crean? You must have info no one else in the country has to be making these claims.

The FBI is investigating the NCAA and Kentucky players have already been caught up. Calipari practically started the intermediary game (World Wide Wes).

I know you are his number one defender on this board but if you think he lands those classes every year against other programs offering some type of payola without offering some of his own, you are pretty naive.

Reactions: Lucy01
The FBI is investigating the NCAA and Kentucky players have already been caught up. Calipari practically started the intermediary game (World Wide Wes).

I know you are his number one defender on this board but if you think he lands those classes every year against other programs offering some type of payola without offering some of his own, you are pretty naive.
So I assume you believe Crean and IU offered that payola for the 5 star recruits he landed?

You think every 5 star recruit wants money? Every one of them is willing to take that risk? That’s being pretty naive imo.

And for the record Calipari has never, at any job, been found to have paid for a recruit. Never.

The FBI is investigating the NCAA and UK? Do tell!

Welcome back for the 1000th time.

As to the rest, you are just being the pedantic asshole you always try and be. Someone else can follow you down the jack ass rabbit hole, it won't be me.
So, is the FBI investigating the NCAA and UK, or not? You made the claim . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT