ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Now #26!

Agreed on the watch-a-bility of current NCAA ball. But I think it's because they (NCAA) quickened and opened the game up to make it more like the NBA. So many 3 pointers now, even the bigs are shooting 21 footers. Lower shooting percentages as a result. Teams don't run as much traditional structured offense like we saw with IU and the motion back in in the 70s/80s, even into the 90s. Lots of open post offense now. Watching IU run screens for Alford, Edwards and Calbert was almost like artwork. Just don't see as much of that today. Game just looks a lot different and honestly, not really in a pleasant way. Of course, it has looked much less appealing in Bloomington over the past 6 weeks. I enjoyed the Marquette game immensely and convinced myself that we 'were back'. That view has been self-corrected in recent weeks unfortunately.
agree. i hate the never ending ball screens, dribble handoffs, and posting up 20 feet from the basket

These draft projections can be all over the place and its difficult to project whether an NBA team is looking for a specific position or will draft and then trade someone, etc but I agree it appears highly unlikely that Romeo will fall out of the lottery (14th). Romeo is a prime example of why NBA owners like the OAD - a further chance to evaluate before using a high draft pick
but they will put them in the g league and it will become more of a farm system like baseball. that begs the next question. could the nba expand the draft to 3 or more rounds, possible drafting a hundred high schoolers and adding another prep league below the g league level. now that would really change college basketball.

No he did not. Indiana University and Indiana ties will benefit Romeo for the rest of his life. Romeo absolutely made the right decision for his future.
The only reason we got Romeo was cause slick Rick got fired, now that's a fact.

Reactions: Lucy01
If you are not a lottery pick you don't jump into draft, that would be foolish.
Why? Every 1st round pick gets a guaranteed 2 year contract.
Using draft numbers for last year, and using absolute worst case numbers...
The 10th pick will make $4,457,440. Invest that and a conservative 5% return is $222,872 a year. Romeo will be a top 10 pick.
I'll humor you with the 26th pick numbers: $2,137,280 in two years, 5% return is $106,864 a year.
Remember this is the absolute worst case scenario. It is very likely the picks will earn much more than this. Years 3 and 4 get better unless you bust out of the league.
Why is it foolish?

Reactions: minneman
The 10th pick will make $4,457,440. Invest that and a conservative 5% return is $222,872 a year. Romeo will be a top 10 pick.
I'll humor you with the 26th pick numbers: $2,137,280 in two years, 5% return is $106,864 a year.
Remember this is the absolute worst case scenario. It is very likely the picks will earn much more than this. Years 3 and 4 get better unless you bust out of the league.
Why is it foolish?
And don’t forget shoe contracts.

Reactions: Brockway
Why is it foolish?

You forgot taxes.

College Basketball is much less watchable now than 20+ years ago, with possibly the top 20 or 30 HS tplayers jumping straight to the G-League, the G-League will suddenly have more high end future NBA talent than college basketball. At that point I will watch IU and the NBA and G-League.
Don't agree and will never watch the G-league and I only watch the Pacers now so I won't watch anymore NBA than I do now.

The only reason we got Romeo was cause slick Rick got fired, now that's a fact.

more evidence that suggests Archie is the worst coach EVAR? now you're even getting bad at bad posts.

remember that time after the OSU game (3 days ago) when you said you were leaving the board until Archie got fired? man, i miss those times. thought you were onto something...

Just looked at two current draft boards and he is 9th and 13th. Dropped some but not enough to make him stay.
My local paper (Bergen Record in NJ) has an article on how top 5 picks are playing. They list Romeo fifth and say " the first four spots are pretty definite. Who goes at #5 is more debatable, but Langford is certainly in that conversation... his 3 point shooting needs work... Langford has improvements to make, but he has the skills to develop into a dangerous scorer in the NBA".

IMO you only stay for another year if you think you can significantly improve on your draft position. So if you're projected to be a late 1st round pick, but its a strong draft year, maybe next year there are less quality players at your position, you think you can also improve markedly with another year in college, then maybe you would stay. But, if you're a lottery pick, how much higher can you move waiting another year? Plus factor in the opportunity cost of a year of lost salary, the risk of injury - it makes no sense to stay. You may be as likely to move down in the next years draft as move up

Reactions: minneman
Nbadraftorder.com has Romeo at the 26th pick, my god he might be back next year,crazy.
Why would IU fans want a player who they. say underperforms back for another?
I may be off but maybe because fans want to see success with both player and team. They tend to invest emotionally in both, and like their own kids, want to see both player and program grow into what they know they can be. Doesn’t mean he should or will stay, just a want for it to feel right. I don’t believe it’s a reflection/attack in any regard. Oh and add years of frustration missing more tournaments than made.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
I may be off but maybe because fans want to see success with both player and team. They tend to invest emotionally in both, and like their own kids, want to see both player and program grow into what they know they can be. Doesn’t mean he should or will stay, just a want for it to feel right. I don’t believe it’s a reflection/attack in any regard. Oh and add years of frustration missing more tournaments than made.
Ok. Thx.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT