ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo announcing April 30th...

I’ll be thrilled if RL is 80% of what EG was as a freshman. EG was the best freshman I’ve ever seen at IU. He had no weaknesses.

EJ was great until he got hurt. I honestly think Romeo can be as good though. He's got about 3 inches on EJ.

Reactions: IUgradman
I’ll be thrilled if RL is 80% of what EG was as a freshman. EG was the best freshman I’ve ever seen at IU. He had no weaknesses.

The greatest freshman ever at IU didn't even get to play as a freshman...

mcginnis0401.jpg

From what I gather, Romeo isn't the outside shooter that Gordon was. According to this site, he was 79-222 (36%) from behind-the-arc this past season. I couldn't tell you what Gordon's 3FG% was in high school -- but I bet it was better than that.

Gordon did shoot a better percentage from three, but Romeo is a shooter who can shoot it from anywhere on the court. If he is open then he will drill it. I have seen him hit threes off dribble, a hand in his face, and from NBA. Shooting will not be a weakness for Romeo.

Reactions: 76-1 and echs86
Gordon did shoot a better percentage from three, but Romeo is a shooter who can shoot it from anywhere on the court. If he is open then he will drill it. I have seen him hit threes off dribble, a hand in his face, and from NBA. Shooting will not be a weakness for Romeo.

The show Langford put on at Richmond in the 2016 semistate vs Southport is not one that will be forgotten anytime soon. Romeo was within shooting range whenever he crossed the halfcourt line.

Greatest thing about it, it looked effortless. Paul Scruggs was a lockdown defender in high school and Romeo made him look silly. Never seen a kid as frustrated as what Scruggs was in that game.

EJ was great until he got hurt. I honestly think Romeo can be as good though. He's got about 3 inches on EJ.
I sure hope so. I’ve never seen RL play in person. EJ was just physically mature with a senior’s body. But Romeo looks smoother with the ball. It would be so much fun to watch even if just for a year.

Romeo can shoot. Took a lot of shots that weren't really good shots because he really only had 1 other good player on his team. I expect him to be just fine in college. Plus he continuously works on his game.

Romeo can shoot. Took a lot of shots that weren't really good shots because he really only had 1 other good player on his team. I expect him to be just fine in college. Plus he continuously works on his game.

I think coach Shannon said at the end of this season that there hadn't been a time when he had the ball and wasn't double or triple teamed in about 2 years.

Well, this certainly adds some fuel to the fire.

http://www.14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6935

Not really. Just someone else reading the same tea leaves folks here are trying to interpret. I doubt the Landfords, as close as they've played this, would tell coaching staffs weeks in advance of the announcement. Generally done less than 24 hours it seems to me if you're trying to keep it quiet.

Gordon was really built though. He had amazing strength as a high school player. Romeo has probably been told that he needs to get a lot stronger due to his thinner frame.

Gordon had super strength out of high school, and I remember reading an article about the Clippers telling Gordon to stay out of the weight room during his rookie year. Gordon is strong and compact and Romeo is long and wiry with a supposedly a 6’10” wing span. I think Romeo’s built is more suited for longevity in basketball with reduced injuries.

From what I gather, Romeo isn't the outside shooter that Gordon was. According to this site, he was 79-222 (36%) from behind-the-arc this past season. I couldn't tell you what Gordon's 3FG% was in high school -- but I bet it was better than that.
his 3 pt percentage went down after the Princeton game where he injured his wrist. Played with it taped rest of season and you could tell it was bothering him.

his 3 pt percentage went down after the Princeton game where he injured his wrist. Played with it taped rest of season and you could tell it was bothering him.

OK. But his 3FG% wasn’t a whole lot better in earlier seasons. In fact, he shot 31% as a junior.

Of course, stats don’t always tell the whole story. Maybe he’s as good a shooter as EJ was. But his stats, anyway, don’t reflect that.

IMHO, Romeo's a better scorer and more complete offensively than Gordon was at this point.

Gordon would just power to the rim or drill long range 3s.

IMO Romeo isn’t where EG was coming out of HS. As alluded to earlier, Gordon was so strong, was a better shooter, & had no weaknesses. Romeo’s length helps him a lot, but that won’t be as big an advantage in CBB. He’s going to be really good, but I’d take EG over him every day of the week.

IMO Romeo isn’t where EG was coming out of HS. As alluded to earlier, Gordon was so strong, was a better shooter, & had no weaknesses. Romeo’s length helps him a lot, but that won’t be as big an advantage in CBB. He’s going to be really good, but I’d take EG over him every day of the week.

Gordon might be a better shooter but not by much and like it has been stated earlier that Romeo has been playing with a banged up wrist on his shooting hand, and Romeo is more of a technical and finesse player than Gordon at this stage. Gordon was like a bull in a china shop. Romeo has the potential to be an elite NBA player.

Gordon had super strength out of high school, and I remember reading an article about the Clippers telling Gordon to stay out of the weight room during his rookie year. Gordon is strong and compact and Romeo is long and wiry with a supposedly a 6’10” wing span. I think Romeo’s built is more suited for longevity in basketball with reduced injuries.
Really? I think a more muscular build helps. I think Gordon’s problem is that his build always allowed him to take more contact, to muscle up to the rim, but once he got into the NBA, the longer season and larger bodies he was making contact with had an impact.

Two different styles. Gordon definitely stronger as a Freshman. He could just overpower the defense. RL is more comparable to Ray Allen. Fluid and just makes it look effortless. Two great high school scorers. Two great athletes.

If you look at EG's stats at IU he did not end up a high % shooter. He hit 43% FG overall and only 33% on threes. He struggled with his shot but he could get to the FT line almost at will (8.7 attempts a game) and hit 83% from the line. That's how he scored 20 points per game.

I expect RL to shoot a better % but he may not score as many points per game.

Reactions: cshartle123
Two different styles. Gordon definitely stronger as a Freshman. He could just overpower the defense. RL is more comparable to Ray Allen. Fluid and just makes it look effortless. Two great high school scorers. Two great athletes.

If you look at EG's stats at IU he did not end up a high % shooter. He hit 43% FG overall and only 33% on threes. He struggled with his shot but he could get to the FT line almost at will (8.7 attempts a game) and hit 83% from the line. That's how he scored 20 points per game.

I expect RL to shoot a better % but he may not score as many points per game.

33% with a bad wrist is pretty damn good. EJ was an absolute scoring machine. 1st time I saw him play was vs ECC over Christmas. 1st 2 touches he pulls up from 28 feet and drills a deep 3. Next trip, catches in same place, shots fakes Etwaun Moore, takes 2 dribbles and throws one down with 2 hands over Kewan Shortt. There is a reason he was ranked ahead of Rose, Harden, Love, DeAndre Jordan, and Blake Griffin coming out of HS.

That may have been one of the best classes ever in Indiana by the way, you have the 4 that went to PU, Gordon (IU), Jeff Teague (Wake), Angel Garcia (Memphis), Kewan Shortt (PU, Football), Matt Howard (Butler), Gary McGhee (Pitt), Eshaunte Jones (Neb), Zach Hahn (Butler) and I am sure there are others I am missing

Reactions: kkott
I read that the grad transfer (Mooney?) from S Dakota, that we were apparently pretty high on a few weeks back, and visa versa, put out a new list this week and sounds like the IU talk has cooled off completely and he doesn't list us anymore as a possibility. Is this confirmed, and if so, is this yet another tea leaf coming from New Albany?

update- per Jeff Borzello yesterday, this is confirmed.

Gordon might be a better shooter but not by much and like it has been stated earlier that Romeo has been playing with a banged up wrist on his shooting hand, and Romeo is more of a technical and finesse player than Gordon at this stage. Gordon was like a bull in a china shop. Romeo has the potential to be an elite NBA player.

Really? I think a more muscular build helps. I think Gordon’s problem is that his build always allowed him to take more contact, to muscle up to the rim, but once he got into the NBA, the longer season and larger bodies he was making contact with had an impact.
Gordon has had a heck of a NBA career. He’s in his 10th year earning $13 million per year and averaging 18 ppg on the #1 team in the league.

I’m not sure how many players are considered “elite”. If it’s top 15 then that’s not Gordon. If it’s top 50 then he’s certainly been there. Maybe Romeo turns out better, maybe not. But Gordon has had an incredible career, even if it has been somewhat quiet because of the bad teams he’s been on.

Not arguing with anyone, just pointing out how good Gordon has been. I think sometimes people underestimate how good/long of a pro career he’s had.

For those tracking 24/7, IU is up to 71% while Kansas and Vandy are tied at 14%. Things are trending our way at least with the recruiting people. He picked up 20 points in the last week or so.

Of course there is no reasons given for people jumping on board, but I suspect an announcement open to the public is the reason for it. I am getting more optimistic as well. I don't think Romeo would want to hear a bunch of groans when he announces. Unless you see busloads of Vandy fans in New Albany in a few weeks (assuming they can fill busloads), I feel very good about our chances.

Gordon has had a heck of a NBA career. He’s in his 10th year earning $13 million per year and averaging 18 ppg on the #1 team in the league.

I’m not sure how many players are considered “elite”. If it’s top 15 then that’s not Gordon. If it’s top 50 then he’s certainly been there. Maybe Romeo turns out better, maybe not. But Gordon has had an incredible career, even if it has been somewhat quiet because of the bad teams he’s been on.

Not arguing with anyone, just pointing out how good Gordon has been. I think sometimes people underestimate how good/long of a pro career he’s had.

Pro's pro, it seems to me!

For those tracking 24/7, IU is up to 71% while Kansas and Vandy are tied at 14%. Things are trending our way at least with the recruiting people. He picked up 20 points in the last week or so.

Of course there is no reasons given for people jumping on board, but I suspect an announcement open to the public is the reason for it. I am getting more optimistic as well. I don't think Romeo would want to hear a bunch of groans when he announces. Unless you see busloads of Vandy fans in New Albany in a few weeks (assuming they can fill busloads), I feel very good about our chances.
Vandy might fill a couple of minivans with fans going to New Albany. The gym is going to be filled with IU fans. He's going to IU. Mark it down! I hope. ;)

Reactions: echs86

Agreed, his NBA career has been solid, especially when you look at some of those who went higher than he did in the draft (O.J. Mayo, anyone??) but I would have loved to have seen what he would have been like with less injury.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Vandy might fill a couple of minivans with fans going to New Albany. The gym is going to be filled with IU fans. He's going to IU. Mark it down! I hope. ;)
Me too! The last thing I would want would be to make my announcement in a crowd that walked away quiet and disappointed. I would make the announcement at a local TV station or at school if it were Vandy or Kansas.

I went from a doubter to thinking we were in the lead after the Kansas FBI story. I don't think Vandy offers him very much. He would be going to a team with 2 other 5 star players on what was a really bad team last year.

He would come to IU and be the answer to our biggest need.

Yeah. Announcing for KU or VU in front of an IU crowd would be awkward as hell. No way his parents let that happen.

If that happens, it'll be a you tube video for the next 15 years....at our expense.

I agree it would be odd as hell and a real slap in the face. They have to understand that. If it IS KU or Vandy I would think it would be leaked beforehand to lesson the shock.

Yeah. Announcing for KU or VU in front of an IU crowd would be awkward as hell. No way his parents let that happen.
I listened to a podcast last night that had the New Albany radio gui on that called Romeo's games. He was talking to an unnamed source at the high school about the details of Romeo's announcement. The person was clear that IU was going to be ths choice. The radio person said he wasn't convinced until he heard this person.

I'm still curious if Romeo's girlfriend really goes to IU. If that is true, why didn't he sit with her at the games he attended?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT