ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo and Juwan- best duo since EJ and DJ

IUgradman

All-American
Mar 31, 2009
Agree? These two will feed off one another very well. It will be great to have two elite scorers. Opponents can’t double them both and if they do it lets players like Smith, Jerome Hunter, Fitzner, and Devonte get easy looks. I like the roster for this upcoming season. Every player can contribute. No more Prillers or Aprils.

I’d like to see Archie install a more free flowing offense.

That’s the knock on Sean. He can’t coach offense.

Statistically they probably will be as good or better. But "best" implies all-around, and you'll have to consider Vic and Cody in that conversation, even if VO only averaged a little over 13 a game.

They will be very comparable. The big difference is there is no cloud of sanctions and wrongdoing looking over the season.

Reactions: IUgradman
Agree? These two will feed off one another very well. It will be great to have two elite scorers. Opponents can’t double them both and if they do it lets players like Smith, Jerome Hunter, Fitzner, and Devonte get easy looks. I like the roster for this upcoming season. Every player can contribute. No more Prillers or Aprils.

Too early to say but a pretty picture and not without merit. Like it. And definitely the Roster...

Cody and Vic.

Reactions: Harry Hondo
I’d like to see Archie install a more free flowing offense.

That’s the knock on Sean. He can’t coach offense.

Really? 6 straight years of a top 20 kenpom offense with 4 of those 6 having a higher offensive number than defense?

I would think the knock is they are the absolute opposite of Crean defensively as they play a system regardless of the opponent.

It's the beef with Wisconsin back in the day, Virginia and Syracuse. There aren't a lot of defensive adjustments.

Sean's (and Archie's) offense is fine. Good pace, try to strike first in transition then run a half court motion.

Really? 6 straight years of a top 20 kenpom offense with 4 of those 6 having a higher offensive number than defense?

I would think the knock is they are the absolute opposite of Crean defensively as they play a system regardless of the opponent.

It's the beef with Wisconsin back in the day, Virginia and Syracuse. There aren't a lot of defensive adjustments.

Sean's (and Archie's) offense is fine. Good pace, try to strike first in transition then run a half court motion.
and value the ball and possession.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...-archaic-wildcats-scouting-report-rumors-news

I hope Sean figures it out. I’d like to see him breakthrough to the FF.

I miss Lute

Last edited:
Complaining about offense, when Zona's weakness last year was defense, and Ayton was the main reason their defense sucked, it's laughable. He played out of position, he should have been the sole post which would have made their defense much better and given him the room to show his swiss knife traits on offense, but Miller played Ayton where Ayton wanted, at four, instead of playing him where it benefited the team. A position where he couldn't guard anyone, because he (Ayton) didn't want to be labelled or locked in as a "post player". Coach K did the same thing with his two posts and had to play zone. Weak minded coaches kowtowing to a self entitled player's pro aspirations instead of team need.

Last edited:
Romeo is no Vic on D. Victor was/ is special on that side of the court.
Who did he stop? Name one premier player he stopped and shut down. Then think back to Fife and answer the same question.

Overrated .... special defenders stop the person they're guarding, Vic racked up steals from not guarding his player and gambling in passing lanes. Which was great when he got a steal, but not so great when he didn't.

He was a secondary defender, not a lock down guy. Great defenders lock up the guy they're guarding.

Last edited:
Complaining about offense, when Zona's weakness last year was defense, and Ayton was the main reason their defense sucked, it's laughable. He played out of position, he should have been the sole post which would have made their defense much better and given him the room to show his swiss knife traits on offense, but Miller played Ayton where Ayton would look good, at four. A position where he couldn't guard anyone, because he (Ayton) didn't want to be labelled or locked in as a "post player", instead of playing him where it benefited the team. Coach K did the same thing and had to play zone. Weak minded coaches kowtowing to players pro aspirations instead of team need.

Thanks for the breakdown man

Who did he stop? Name one premier player he stopped and shut down. Then think back to Fife and answer the same question.

Overrated .... special defenders stop the person they're guarding, Vic racked up steals from not guarding his player and gambling in passing lanes. Which was great when he got a steal, but not so great when he didn't.

He was a secondary defender, not a lock down guy. Great defenders lock up the guy they're guarding.

Wow.... his lateral quickness is freakish especially on D. He made all defensive team for the nba this year for some reason. I guess all those steals this year, he lead the NBA, was off the ball. I would bet that he will make that team more than not during his career. Victor was special especially on defense, I do not know how you would say otherwise.

HAHAHA

You poor people

I know, the greatest run in Purdue history......back to back Sweet 16s. Fu**ing amazing......

I never thought it would happen......now back to the middle of the pack and bubble teams. Thats if Edwards stays......

Bobby Wilkerson was one of the best lock down defenders at guard in IU history his backcourt mate Quinn Buckner was very good defensively also. Romeo has the physical gifts of a Bobby Wilkerson but
with one of the best offensive games that I have ever seen at the HS level. Romeo has the full offensive arsenal. We will have to wait and see, offensively Romeo will be as.good as a Freshman as there.is in the country next season.

Wow.... his lateral quickness is freakish especially on D. He made all defensive team for the nba this year for some reason. I guess all those steals this year, he lead the NBA, was off the ball. I would bet that he will make that team more than not during his career. Victor was special especially on defense, I do not know how you would say otherwise.
Yea, Fife's lateral quickness was horrible. He couldn't jump either.

And how I could say otherwise? Easy .. name the players Dipo shut down.

Prove it to me and yourself that it's just not subjective biased fanboyism and sports media created rhetoric.

Love Vic but he was not when at IU a premier lock down defender, except in undeserved accolades, and hype. He had all the tools to be one, but ..

Last edited:
Reactions: mike41703
Bobby Wilkerson was one of the best lock down defenders at guard in IU history . . . Romeo has the physical gifts of a Bobby Wilkerson

Uh . . . no, he doesn't. He just doesn't.

I love Romeo coming to IU.

I think he's going to make a tremendous impact.

But Bobby was a special, unique player. not a great scorer (wasn't asked to be with the talent around him), but I'd go on record on him being the best lockdown defender IU has ever had. EVER. Romeo is a LONG way from attaining that level of defense.

Its been 43 years and it STILL blows me away that IU had 6-11 All American Kent Benson, yet Wilkerson at 6-7 always jumped center. Do not believe any college team in history besides the '76 Hoosiers can say that.

Reactions: kmathum
Yes he does.. technically, as the person said "physical tools". He has close to a 7 foot wingspan and great speed and quickness.

But like I noted above in my example using Fife, physical gifts aren't the end all. If they were Troy Williams would have been a good defender. Defense is a willingness to work hard, intuitive awareness, constantly watching film (scouting) and understanding positioning.

Will he be as good as Wilkerson? I highly doubt it .. but he has the tools to be.

I love Romeo coming to IU.

I think he's going to make a tremendous impact.

But Bobby was a special, unique player. not a great scorer (wasn't asked to be with the talent around him), but I'd go on record on him being the best lockdown defender IU has ever had. EVER. Romeo is a LONG way from attaining that level of defense.

Its been 43 years and it STILL blows me away that IU had 6-11 All American Kent Benson, yet Wilkerson at 6-7 always jumped center. Do not believe any college team in history besides the '76 Hoosiers can say that.

I agree with other that he has the tools Wilkerson had, but for the most part we're comparing a jr/sr Wilkerson to what will likely be only a fr RL. Wasn't Wilkerson also around 215-220? I hope RL attacks the weight room and eats right but he's probably not going to get to 200lbs and I remember Wilkerson (and Buckner's) strength being amazing for a guard/wing.

I know, the greatest run in Purdue history......back to back Sweet 16s. Fu**ing amazing......

I never thought it would happen......now back to the middle of the pack and bubble teams. Thats if Edwards stays......

Edwards is staying. Just confirmed a few hours ago.

Sure... VO wasn’t a great defender because he doesn’t fit some TMP definition of what a great defender is? Just dumb dude. He was and continues to be a great defender. He is disruptive on the defensive end, and his defense leads to easy offense. NBA scouts clearly liked his ability to defend multiple perimeter positions, but I’m sure a self proclaimed expert of a forum knows sooooo much more than the professionals who evaluate ability, including on court production.

Reactions: cryano
Sure... VO wasn’t a great defender because he doesn’t fit some TMP definition of what a great defender is? Just dumb dude. He was and continues to be a great defender. He is disruptive on the defensive end, and his defense leads to easy offense. NBA scouts clearly liked his ability to defend multiple perimeter positions, but I’m sure a self proclaimed expert of a forum knows sooooo much more than the professionals who evaluate ability, including on court production.
You think purely with your emotions, and very rarely show the ability for critical thought or a semi complex concepts, but I'll try anyways ..

*banging my head on desktop*

He wasn't a great defender because he didn't shut anyone down. How many times do I have to cite the same damn example?

And, how is that a bad or unreasonable criteria for being called great? Wilkerson shut players down. Reynolds shut players down. Graham shut players down. Fife shut players down. They took the opposing team's best perimeter player and held them under their scoring average. sometimes drastically and did it consistently. That's what great defenders do. Oladipo got a lot of steals and had all the tools to be a great defender but he didn't shut anyone down. Except in the minds of Crean, the the media hyping him, fanbois and a few possessions her and there.

It takes a lot to be a called a great defender at IU, the bar is set pretty high.

I keep asking you guys to do this simple test, for yourself, not to prove my point. Find the games where Dipo guarded the opposing team's best player and shut him down. Don't listen to me, I'm not the arbitrator, look for yourself. that way you actually know. Knowing is far better than guessing. Then compare what you find to what Fife did for two seasons.

Until then STFU, all your doing is citing your feelings, which is all you ever do. You want to argue because someone said something about someone you like and you don't think I like him. that's what passes for reasoning to you. Just like you liked Crean and couldn't see past all his flaws for years. IIRC I told you to go to a Justin Bieber fan board to argue because that's the level of your reasoning.

I don't care how you feel. I care what you know.

And, don't think I don't remember arguing with you about how bad Crean was. You loved him too, and basically I'm telling you the same exact message I did then. Seek knowledge, you need it. Now call me a Dipo hater, like you called me a Crean hater.

I don't have to like someone to say something good about them, neither do I have to hate them to say something bad, Unlike you, my reasoning isn't that of a 13 year old emotionally compromised Justin Bieber fan.

Last edited:
Bobby Wilkerson was the best defensive player that I have ever watched in an IU uniform. Wilkerson was the definition of a lock-down defender.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Bobby Wilkerson was the best defensive player that I have ever watched in an IU uniform. Wilkerson was the definition of a lock-down defender.
Buckner was probably next, with Fife coming in third. We had some great defenders in the Knight era.

Tolbert may be the best interior, got to give it more thought.

Reactions: 13thman and kmathum
You think purely with your emotions, and very rarely show the ability for critical thought or a semi complex concepts, but I'll try anyways ..

*banging my head on desktop*

He wasn't a great defender because he didn't shut anyone down. How many times do I have to cite the same damn example?

And, how is that a bad or unreasonable criteria for being called great? Wilkerson shut players down. Reynolds shut players down. Graham shut players down. Fife shut players down. They took the opposing team's best perimeter player and held them under their scoring average. sometimes drastically and did it consistently. That's what great defenders do. Oladipo got a lot of steals and had all the tools to be a great defender but he didn't shut anyone down. Except in the minds of Crean, the the media hyping him, fanbois and a few possessions her and there.

It takes a lot to be a called a great defender at IU, the bar is set pretty high.

I keep asking you guys to do this simple test, for yourself, not to prove my point. Find the games where Dipo guarded the opposing team's best player and shut him down. Don't listen to me, I'm not the arbitrator, look for yourself. that way you actually know. Knowing is far better than guessing. Then compare what you find to what Fife did for two seasons.

Until then STFU, all your doing is citing your feelings, which is all you ever do. You want to argue because someone said something about someone you like and you don't think I like him. that's what passes for reasoning to you. Just like you liked Crean and couldn't see past all his flaws for years. IIRC I told you to go to a Justin Bieber fan board to argue because that's the level of your reasoning.

And, don't think I don't remember arguing with you about how bad Crean was. You loved him too, and basically I'm telling you the same exact message I did then. Seek knowledge, you need it. Now call me a Dipo hater, like you called me a Crean hater.

I don't have to like someone to say something good about them, neither do I have to hate them to say something bad, Unlike you, my reasoning isn't that of a 13 year old emotionally compromised Justin Bieber fan.

You don't cite a single player that Fife or Wilkerson or any of them shut down, but you expect other people to remember every time Oladipo shut someone down during his Big Ten DPOY season? Well, I remember when he had 5 steals against #4 Michigan State at the Breslin Center because I was there. Crean did so much switching thought that it's going to be impossible to say he shut anyone down without advanced statistics, but you don't win Big Ten DPOY without being good defensively. Why this is even an argument is beyond me.

You don't cite a single player that Fife or Wilkerson or any of them shut down, but you expect other people to remember every time Oladipo shut someone down during his Big Ten DPOY season? Well, I remember when he had 5 steals against #4 Michigan State at the Breslin Center because I was there. Crean did so much switching thought that it's going to be impossible to say he shut anyone down without advanced statistics, but you don't win Big Ten DPOY without being good defensively. Why this is even an argument is beyond me.

Yea, go learn something. I'm not your instructor, parent or trainer and only by doing it yourself will you believe me and overcome your fanboi bias. Lazy mindedness is not an acceptable excuse and neither is ignorance.

You will readily accept any an all accolades but as soon as someone perceives something negative about their heroes... then the fan stupid sets in. The only cure for the stupid is knowledge. The only way to gain knowledge is study. I am not doing your work for you.

The last two arguments I had with fanbois on here was praising Carsen Edwards and saying something negative about Vic. I used plenty of stats, in the first. And,it didn't help one bit. I hate fan mentality, it's very foundation is based on pure emotional willing ignorance.

Last edited:
Yea, Fife's lateral quickness was horrible. He couldn't jump either.

And how I could say otherwise? Easy .. name the players Dipo shut down.

Prove it to me and yourself that it's just not subjective biased fanboyism and sports media created rhetoric.

Love Vic but he was not when at IU a premier lock down defender, except in undeserved accolades, and hype. He had all the tools to be one, but ..

It would have been hard for Vic to be a lock down defender on anyone player due to Tom Crean’s philosophy of switching every pick. Did you forget about positionless basketball under Crean and it did not only retain to the offense. I do not remember many times Vic’s man scoring when he was guarding him, but I remember that I would get mad when he would switch off their best player. Also, I would get mad when Vic would get subbed out, because he was a special player who could have played almost the whole game.

Yes he does.. technically, as the person said "physical tools". He has close to a 7 foot wingspan and great speed and quickness.

But like I noted above in my example using Fife, physical gifts aren't the end all. If they were Troy Williams would have been a good defender. Defense is a willingness to work hard, intuitive awareness, constantly watching film (scouting) and understanding positioning.

Will he be as good as Wilkerson? I highly doubt it .. but he has the tools to be.
Maybe in the literal sense. Still have never seen a guard get off the floor like BW - he could jump high AND jump quick.

I’ll say this: if Romeo somehow gets anywhere close to what Bobby was as a defender, he’ll be the top pick in the 2019 NBA draft. Hands down.

Yea, go learn something. I'm not your instructor, parent or trainer and only by doing it yourself will you believe me and overcome your fanboi bias. Lazy mindedness is not an acceptable excuse and neither is ignorance.

You will readily accept any an all accolades but as soon as someone perceives something negative about their heroes... then the fan stupid sets in. The only cure for the stupid is knowledge. The only way to gain knowledge is study. I am not doing your work for you.

The last two arguments I had with fanbois on here was praising Carsen Edwards and saying something negative about Vic. I used plenty of stats, in the first. And,it didn't help one bit. I hate fan mentality, it's very foundation is based on pure emotional willing ignorance.

Nothing like waking up and watching 'posterizations' on back-to-back possessions. I really want to know what brand of coffee you're drinking.

March 10, 2013, IU beats #7 Michigan in Ann Arbor and Oladipo holds Tim Hardaway Jr. to 11 points on 5/12 shooting.

Now, when did Wilkerson "shut down" a first-team all Big Ten and future NBA starter? I want specific examples since you insisted I do the same.

Reactions: Cutter1973

Dakich locked down Michael Jordan. :)

March 10, 2013, IU beats #7 Michigan in Ann Arbor and Oladipo holds Tim Hardaway Jr. to 11 points on 5/12 shooting.

You should quit while you're behind. 11 pts. on 5/12 is hardly being shut down, more so as TH's season average including NC games was only 14.5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT