ADVERTISEMENT

RoJo Withdrawing...

Good. I worried about their lack of 3 point shooting with JBJ gone. Hartman will help but they will need RJ to be their main 3 point shooter depending on if anyone else steps up. Hopefully he is on from the arc and consistent as a Senior. Maybe with JBJ gone, he will thrive being that guy. He was really solid at the end of 2016.

Always liked Rojo's game. Who knows, he may have a special senior year and be a quiet leader. I really like our roster for next year. Archie has a great group of guys in his first year at IU.

When i look down the probable starting 5, I see toughness, experience, and defense. Looking forward to watching a sound basketball team.

Well, looks like Rojo might be having second thoughts after the circulating news in his face as Rojo himself just came out and said hes still not sure....
'Still within the draft process, haven't made a decision yet' -Robert Johnson Jr

Good for Robert. Now he needs to regain his 2016 form and shot, not the way he finished the 2017 season which led me to believe he may have been injured. Welcome back Robert!

Assuming he does come back, Coach will really like his defensive capability. Consistently hitting shots out to the arc in addition to his defense will lock him in as a key player next season.

Reactions: ufo33
For 2018 IU's guards should be better defensively but IU loses its best shooter in JBJ. I look for CuJo to make major strides in his shooting, ball handling, and defense. I certainly hope Rojo can return to his 2016 form. Green,Cujo, Hartman, Clifton Mooore, Smith, and Morgan are all very capable perimeter shooters. If Rojo can return to his 2016 form that would be a major lift for the IU program. A healthy Hartman and RoJo, and a under control Newkirk will be big for IU. I think RoJo/Newkirk/Durham might be better defensively, and Green/CuJo/Hartman better offensively.

Last edited:
Some here may disagree but IU will be a better team this year WITH RJ than without him.
He ended his sophomore year injured and his other two years in shooting slumps. He can be very valuable if he can play an entire year at a consistent level.

Like all our players, I am interested in how they play when valuing the ball and playing defense is expected.

Good. I worried about their lack of 3 point shooting with JBJ gone. Hartman will help but they will need RJ to be their main 3 point shooter depending on if anyone else steps up. Hopefully he is on from the arc and consistent as a Senior. Maybe with JBJ gone, he will thrive being that guy. He was really solid at the end of 2016.
When Rojo gets going for 3 hes arguably as good as jbj or yogi.
There were times in games I trusted his shot more then jbj , and almost as much as yogis

When Rojo gets going for 3 hes arguably as good as jbj or yogi.
There were times in games I trusted his shot more then jbj , and almost as much as yogis

Blackmon Jr. 2016-2017 3P%: 42.3%

Ferrell 2015-2016 3P%: 42%

Career:

Blackmon: 41.5%

Ferrell: 39.9%

Blackmon has always been a better shooter than Yogi.

I do agree though that Robert is a better shooter than he showed last season. He took almost two more three point shots a game last year compared to 2015-2016. You'd have to think that added volume was at least partially responsible for the drop off.

I expect he'll be taking higher quality shots next season, and not forced into a scoring role where he can't succeed.

Reactions: MrBing
Er, uh, Johnson shot 3-pointers at a blistering pace of .370, almost as good as Bryant (.383).

I want him back too, but not because of his 3 point shooting. I think Johnson is a stabilizing influence. Plus he's a good guy and deserves to be here if he wants.

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
Er, uh, Johnson shot 3-pointers at a blistering pace of .370, almost as good as Bryant (.383).

I want him back too, but not because of his 3 point shooting. I think Johnson is a stabilizing influence. Plus he's a good guy and deserves to be here if he wants.
He will be better away from Crean.

Excellent!.... I for one have always like RoJo... hard worker, good leadership, not looking for accolades... Cannot wait to see what CAM's methods will do for RoJo's game... I think he could have a really great year... I sure hope he does... Glad to have him back...

Reactions: hondo314
I think that CuJo and Green are potentially better 3pt shooters than RoJo, but RoJo is currently a better defensive player with more experience. RoJo is decent at everything but not Great at any one skill that would make him great. That hurts him in the NBA scouts eyes. Where JBJ is an excellent shooter his pro potential is higher. RoJo needs to focus on being as good as he can be at his perceived strength which currently is defense. I also think that Durham could be a really good defensive guard. Good coaching is emphasizing individual players strengths and minimizing their weaknesses in a team setting to create a competitive advantage as a team. Crean wanted interchangeable parts which does not normally exist on a college level roster. RoJo also needs to focus on slowing down and making better decisions with the ball and eliminating most unforced turnovers. Better defense and less turnovers will make IU consistently more competitive and not mainly relying on a high shooting percentage to win games like IU did under Crean.

Last edited:
Imagine the debate about 3-pt. percentage to be a sort of six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other, and the interchangeable parts thing to be pretty much a fait accompli. Thing I recall about RoJo this last Season is that at times he seemed he could just turn it on - there were a couple games where he scored a bunch of points in a short period driving the lane/bombing and then he'd just sort of chill. Marks him as something of an enigma in that if he went off for 30 it wouldn't really surprise me as much as seeing him score in single digits.

Not sure what he imagines his role to be but am hoping he can find a higher gear/mindset because if all he does is more of everything he does already he could be a force.

Blackmon Jr. 2016-2017 3P%: 42.3%

Ferrell 2015-2016 3P%: 42%

Career:

Blackmon: 41.5%

Ferrell: 39.9%

Blackmon has always been a better shooter than Yogi.

I do agree though that Robert is a better shooter than he showed last season. He took almost two more three point shots a game last year compared to 2015-2016. You'd have to think that added volume was at least partially responsible for the drop off.

I expect he'll be taking higher quality shots next season, and not forced into a scoring role where he can't succeed.

Yea I was intentionally leaving stats out of it. I can believe on paper jbj is better at 3s....I merely meant as much as feel.
Jbj takes alot of bad shots at time, which gives the illusion hes a not as great as yogi, atleast to me it does. Additionally, Yogi had clutch ability at late game/game winning shots, where as jbj choked, A LOT .

In regards to your last paragraph, I don't know, part of me wants to think rojo's one of those players who will do better when hes not forced to be the star, he likes being a complete role player and nothing more. He performed very good at times during the Troy Williams years..Yet its almost a contradiction to say this for last year BC we still had a under performing TB & injured O.g on the team...
Ultimately I think hes just a inconsistent player, great at times but just inconsistent overall

My take on RJ last year and other years is that he knew Crean gave the keys to JBJ to let him do whatever he wanted including playing terrible D, so he kind of got lost in the overall ineptitude around he program. I think he's a really good player, and I predict he will have a great year.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
What yogi did shooting as a rookie for the Mavs was pretty impressive. He is so good at creating separation with his quickness to get his shot off. He hit 40% from NBA 3 point range as a Mav as a rookie. That is kind of special. I'd probably agree that JBJ has the better shot when wide open but I'd clearly give the edge to Yogi in NBA game action if JBJ even makes it to the League.

Dude great news...

lebowski1.gif

More made up BS - without any basis in fact.

He was second or third in conference in EFG%. Which was slightly over 60%, which was top 2% nationally and top 1% for his position nationally.. Yea, a player that takes a "lot" of bad shots .. lol His scoring per minute was also very close to 2% nationally. Rarely will someone be in the top 2% in both and even rarer for it to be a perimeter player. When it does happen, it points to an elite shooter or scorer..

Some of you guys are ridiculously misinformed and/or can't get past your emotional bias and just full of it.
Ive defended jbj in this forum more then anyone, mostly over his 'bad defense' post-injury being over exaggerated....... .. .Come again?

& staying to finish senior year at Iu via Jon Rothstein and his source.
Some here may disagree but IU will be a better team this year WITH RJ than without him.
I think this is highly dependent on the attitude he comes back with and his role. With JBJ around he was never going to be a go to guy. If his shot improves he becomes a key player.

Reactions: Lucy01
Ive defended jbj in this forum more then anyone, mostly over his 'bad defense' post-injury being over exaggerated....... .. .Come again?
I don't care about defending, or liking, or hating. Those are the intellectual realms of emotionally compromised teenagers debating Justin Bieber.

What you said was wrong and his shooting stats bare that out. Of all the things to complain about concerning JBj and let's not kid ourselves there's plenty, shooting or shooting too much wasn't one of them.

He probably, for his ability, shot just enough to be highly effective but not so much to be a detriment to other players. 16 per 40 is not too many, it's right around average for a #1 option, and when that player has a EFG% that high, complaining about it is beyond silly.

Complain about his possibly aloof attitude. His obviously slow lateral movement. His seeming lack of interest in hustling or playing defense but not his shooting.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Complain about his possibly aloof attitude. His obviously slow lateral movement. His seeming lack of interest in hustling or playing defense but not his shooting.

Spot on.

Saw JBJr play since 7th grade AAU. Foot speed and desire to play D (which was never really emphasized, honestly) were always his issues, never his ability to put the ball in the basket.

Wouldnt Rojo be the best defender on the team now that Og is gone?

Green has the potential to be the best defender. He has to improve his foot positioning but has the quickest hands on the team and played D as a freshman despite Ctean.

I don't care about defending, or liking, or hating. Those are the intellectual realms of emotionally compromised teenagers debating Justin Bieber.

And fans. Five-star rejoinder in any case.

What's a Justin Bieber? Something tells me I don't want to know...

ADVERTISEMENT