ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Phinisee highlights

IU Hardcore

Freshman
Apr 25, 2008
Inside The Hall has a new highlight video.

I originally wasn't too thrilled with his commitment, but after watching the video I wonder if maybe I misjudged him.

I know you can't always tell too much from a "highlight" video, but I did like what I saw.

Agree??? .... Disagree???

I originally wasn't too thrilled with his commitment, but after watching the video I wonder if maybe I misjudged him.

I know you can't always tell too much from a "highlight" video, but I did like what I saw.

He will be a solid 4 year player. Archie will swing for some 5 stars so phinnissee will be a nice backup plan

Two things----1. He has a very solid left hand both for ball handling and for shooting; 2. For being fairly slightly built, he finishes very well in traffic.

I liked what I saw. Some of the things he did reminded me of Yogi.... like the drive and step back. Yogi always had a huge jump back on the step back, RP does as well. In a lot of the highlights he went left which is a good start HB considering he is a righty. Seems to be strong against contact for his size and can elevate well. Hopefully he can play good defense but I was impressed with those highlights.

Reactions: 76-1
I liked what I saw. Some of the things he did reminded me of Yogi.... like the drive and step back. Yogi always had a huge jump back on the step back, RP does as well. In a lot of the highlights he went left which is a good start HB considering he is a righty. Seems to be strong against contact for his size and can elevate well. Hopefully he can play good defense but I was impressed with those highlights.
He played really well for the Jr all-stars when they beat the Sr all-stars at New Albany last spring. Controlled the game, finished strong, and distributed it well with all the shooters.I think he is physically bigger than DG at this point, but not by much.

Reactions: 76-1
I agree with several comments above. Mostly good things. He is going to be a solid recruit. However, many freshmen in the Big Ten over the years have struggled with physical size. Phinisee is slight of build and may struggle initially against physical+quick guards. Also, I think he will not get that close to the basket against a lot of the bigger guys he will face. He has a great use of the backboard with both hands but it's another ball game when the guys you try to scoot around are twice as wide as the high school guys.

Having said that, I like what I see in his game and expect him to help right away with ball handling, offensive floor leadership, and some slashing and shooting. He should have a great chance to end up really good at IU.

I think this kid was a great get. Exactly the type of player that CTC didn't get: solid IN player who will likely be here for 4 years and hopefully do whatever he needs to help the program be better. If that's backing up a 5 star, he'll do it. If that's stepping in to a starting spot when needed, he'll do it. If we round out our roster with guys like this, instead of panic commitments like Gelon and Priller; guys who are committed to the program and have the talent and ability to do their part, whether PT or in practice and the locker room, then that's a recipe for an elite program and one that will contend for B10 and national titles. Keep it up Archie and now go grab us a couple five stars!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT