ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Mueller appointed special counsel

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Good choice.
Agreed.

Rosenstein may have redeemed himself with this decision and pick.
Agreed, but in my mind, Rosenstein was redeemed when Trump essentially admitted that he was lying when he blamed the decision on that memo (which most of us were suspicious about from the beginning).

The only way someone could be mad at Rosenstein is if they actually believed Trump's original explanation for firing Comey, and I don't think anyone really did (at least, not any of the people who would be upset about it).
Rosenstein got used. That he made an appointment and chose someone of this level of independence and caliber says he's not a lapdog.

Rosenstein got used. That he made an appointment and chose someone of this level of independence and caliber says he's not a lapdog.
"[He] got used." Exactly my point. It was unfair for people to impugn his integrity, but he still took a personal hit with the way Trump treated him. This is a very responsible way to repair his own image and get a little revenge at the same time.

Ah. Takes me back.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been special prosecutors. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But special prosecutors have marked the time. This hearing room, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Isn't this a best case scenario for House GOP members? Don't get me wrong they're still in a tough spot, but they get to wash their hands of defending/investigating Trump. The investigation will probably take years to complete, and allow usual GOP voters plausible deniability, for at least '18.

Mueller is an excellent choice. I wouldn't have believed it possible...is there a catch?

Isn't this a best case scenario for House GOP members? Don't get me wrong they're still in a tough spot, but they get to wash their hands of defending/investigating Trump. The investigation will probably take years to complete, and allow usual GOP voters plausible deniability, for at least '18.
I'm sure that's part of their thinking, but it's a double-edged sword, depending on how fast Mueller moves and what he discovers.

Reactions: Digressions
Ah. Takes me back.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been special prosecutors. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But special prosecutors have marked the time. This hearing room, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.
This is way better than your normal haikus. Stick to JEJ quotes...less haikus.

Reactions: RBB89
Isn't this a best case scenario for House GOP members? Don't get me wrong they're still in a tough spot, but they get to wash their hands of defending/investigating Trump.
I have to believe this would bring the House and Senate investigations to a pause, so yes, the publicity from those investigations and hearings should die down. But as Goat noted, the relief may be short lived...

I still think they'll bring in Comey, and his memos will become public. Assuming they are what they're reported to be, contrasted with the administration's unqualified denials, we'll then have a credibility showdown that Trump can't win.

I have to believe this would bring the House and Senate investigations to a pause, so yes, the publicity from those investigations and hearings should die down. But as Goat noted, the relief may be short lived...

I still think they'll bring in Comey, and his memos will become public. Assuming they are what they're reported to be, contrasted with the administration's unqualified denials, we'll then have a credibility showdown that Trump can't win.
What's the o/u on the amount of time this investigation will take? 24 months? If I'm not mistaken, it will pretty much start from scratch.

This is promising, from Kellyanne's cancellation on Tucker at the last minute:

On the air, Carlson said he called up the White House before airtime to ask about the flip-flop. He said: "The explanation, I think it was sincere, was, 'We had no idea this was happening, we are trying to figure out how to respond to it.'"

If the White House comes out entirely behind this and cooperates fully, this could be a huge win for Trump.

I somehow suspect that will not happen.

This is promising, from Kellyanne's cancellation on Tucker at the last minute:

On the air, Carlson said he called up the White House before airtime to ask about the flip-flop. He said: "The explanation, I think it was sincere, was, 'We had no idea this was happening, we are trying to figure out how to respond to it.'"
They should respond by doing nothing but prepare for the upcoming foreign travel, because an unmoored Trump could make an Olympic sport of buffoonery and pratfalls abroad.

I don't understand how anyone else doesn't see it: Trump is farcically unfit. In just the most recent eight days he's fired Comey, then serially blundered his way right back into the appointment of a special counsel(!). He's the Inspector Clouseau of political corruption. Make Chauncey Gardiner a boastful rich asshole, and you've got Trump.

But the point of Being There isn't that Chance the gardener was a simpleton. The point was that those who elevated him were fools. I'd hate to be the last one to figure that out here.

They should respond by doing nothing but prepare for the upcoming foreign travel, because an unmoored Trump could make an Olympic sport of buffoonery and pratfalls abroad.

I'm fully expecting a faux pas. The only question is if it happens in public.

If it takes this long it's a net win for the GOP. that'll be long enough to cover the 2018 mid terms.

That's my main concern here. This will now be hidden from the public, and Trump governs as normal for YEARS. Imo the only reasonable solution is for Trump to step aside until the investigation is complete. This is not your run-of-the-mill blowjob. This is a question of whether he was colluding with an enemy state to undermine our democracy. He must be removed him from office until the investigation is completed.

I don't understand how anyone else doesn't see it: Trump is farcically unfit. In just the most recent eight days he's fired Comey, then serially blundered his way right back into the appointment of a special counsel(!). He's the Inspector Clouseau of political corruption. Make Chauncey Gardiner a boastful rich asshole, and you've got Trump.

But the point of Being There isn't that Chance the gardener was a simpleton. The point was that those who elevated him were fools. I'd hate to be the last one to figure that out here.
Glad you are well.

1p8uji.jpg

Welcome back!

Reactions: Rockfish1

Rational Trump voters will eventually start to see their mistake. But the vast vast majority will simply trigger their prevailing cognitive dissonance and defend him at all costs. Somehow, these people are self-convinced that admitting he's unfit means that they made an egregious mistake voting for him.

They're right, it was an egregious mistake. But that sin is outweighed by continuing to bury their heads in the sand and living on cognitive dissonance. I sinned by voting for Bush a second time - and I was wrong. I left the military because I no longer believed in (or understood) the mission in Iraq. I learned from my mistake.

For the Trump voters: Why.Can't.You?

They're right, it was an egregious mistake. But that sin is outweighed by continuing to bury their heads in the sand and living on cognitive dissonance. I sinned by voting for Bush a second time - and I was wrong. I left the military because I no longer believed in (or understood) the mission in Iraq. I learned from my mistake.
Ah. I should have finished reading.

Rational Trump voters will eventually start to see their mistake. But the vast vast majority will simply trigger their prevailing cognitive dissonance and defend him at all costs. Somehow, these people are self-convinced that admitting he's unfit means that they made an egregious mistake voting for him.

That's a misinterpretation of your average Trump voter. Not only do they continue to believe he is very fit for office, but they, in fact, believe this entire scandal is simply the "swamp monster" fighting back.

That's a misinterpretation of your average Trump voter. Not only do they continue to believe he is very fit for office, but they, in fact, believe this entire scandal is simply the "swamp monster" fighting back.

Your version

Oh these chains
I'm bonded by the swamp monster chains
Security in chains

Drip drip drip

This is a great move and a great pick. Trump should be delighted with this development, provided of course, he is truthful when he says there was no collusion between his campaign and the Russians.

Any time you can neutralize one of the strong arguments on the other side of the table with a minor or no concession, you do that. This is negotiating 101. In terms more fitting for the Water Cooler, anything that causes Schumer to shut his pie hole is good.

Given the scope of the mandate, and the certainty that Mueller will impanel a grand jury, if I were involved with unmasking or leaking of FISA material, I'd lawyer up right now.

Reactions: Ladoga and Cajun54
Drip drip drip

Let's say the inconceivable happens and he clears Trump and his campaign. Will you and the others on here accept it? And before you ask I will accept his findings either way.

ADVERTISEMENT