ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Hummel.

I’m trying really hard to find something I don’t like about him other than his Purdue Alumnus. The guy is awesome at his job, and is so impartial to us. Great, great, Ambassador for this state and the Big Ten.
Big fan.

I’m trying really hard to find something I don’t like about him other than his Purdue Alumnus. The guy is awesome at his job, and is so impartial to us. Great, great, Ambassador for this state and the Big Ten.
Was just talking about this with my son. He is great!

I agree. Class act and does a wonderful job. Perfect choice of words with “ambassador”.

Does anyone else here essentially tune out the announcers? I probably catch about 50 words at most that they say during a game, they're basically just background noise to me. Same for football games. I don't need them to tell me what I'm seeing because I can see it for myself. ;)

This is probably why I don't care one way or the other about Dakich announcing IU games. I hardly hear anything he says.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Does anyone else here essentially tune out the announcers? I probably catch about 50 words at most that they say during a game, they're basically just background noise to me. Same for football games. I don't need them to tell me what I'm seeing because I can see it for myself. ;)

This is probably why I don't care one way or the other about Dakich announcing IU games. I hardly hear anything he says.
Yup same here. I mute them and generally play music in the background. They serve no purpose other than to fill space.

Except Bill Walton because he's actually entertaining.

For me it depends who they are and how much I value their opinions.

I like Hummel and I think a lot of his opinions. So I pay attention to what he says. Same goes for former players like Shon Morris and Jim Jackson.

Tho
For me it depends who they are and how much I value their opinions.

I like Hummel and I think a lot of his opinions. So I pay attention to what he says. Same goes for former players like Shon Morris and Jim Jackson.
Those guys all add a great deal, as does Dakich. Jim Spanarkle has always been a good former player / current analyst, and guys like Gary Danielson and Greg McElroy are their college football equivalents.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Was really surprised that they threw some of the players, no longer on the team (DG) under the bus like they did. They should leave that to the message board experts here.

I synch with Fisch when I can at home. I just enjoy hearing his voice. Outside of him I like Gus Johnson. The rest, for the most part don't add much value for me unless it is a sport like baseball and Football to a lesser extent where I needs some expertise. I tend to watch basketball more off ball than on ball so announcers are less relevant. And Dakich is just noise.

I sometimes mute and listen to music as I watch basketball.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Strike Vitale from that list IMO. At one time his style was interesting and amuzing, now his shitck is old and annoying but YMMV.
I always wondered how I could have ever enjoyed a game he was doing. He was a fixture of IU games back in the day and you'd go stand in a line to see him at J Arthur's when he was in Bloomington. I watched some of the IU classics games from the 80s and early 90s. His schtick wasn't a schtick back then. It was much more subdued and he actually called a good game, unlike the last 15 years where all he does is name drop and yell about diaper dandies along with Dipsy doo, dunkaroo, baby!!

Reactions: Al Bino
Robbie Hummel is an easy guy to like..his knowledge is vast and is a very likeable person..l followed his AAU career and knew he was going to be a great player...to bad about his knee, but the guy will always have a career as a basketball analyst..he's that good..

Not sure it would’ve mattered honestly. Purdue/Painter were a great fit for him.
Right. Also, he's from Valpo and IU doesn't get too many recruits from northern IN, especially from that area. I don't remember, but were he and Scott Martin considered a package deal since both were from Valpo?

Not sure it would’ve mattered honestly. Purdue/Painter were a great fit for him.

Not going down that rat hole with you again. He appeared to be a good fit for the program which is not surprising as he would have fit a lot of places. Just sad it couldn't be the traditional IU Hoosier Hero.

By then, the IU of our youth wasn’t the present day IU in most meaningful ways, and RH likely knew it didn’t give off the same glow it once did. Much less emphasis on academics, a rapidly dividing fan base still upset over Knights departure and the disaster of Mike Davis’s tenure and then the hiring of a guy who was leaving his previous job ahead of NCAA investigators. It wasn’t your father’s IU program anymore. Plus, Hummel loved PU anyway, so he wasn’t facing some kind of internal dilemma. That he even seriously considered IU at all was a bit of a surprise, but I doubt it was a close decision for him.

Reactions: Mackeyfan247
Right. Also, he's from Valpo and IU doesn't get too many recruits from northern IN, especially from that area. I don't remember, but were he and Scott Martin considered a package deal since both were from Valpo?

The problem was hiring Sampscum and the investigation that included recruiting calls. It was the perfect storm that to MP's credit he capitalized on. Still a missed opportunity for both parties. Rob will do just fine however.

I understand the PU perspective on this we see here saying IU was in the past and hoping Rob was not interested in IU, but IU was still the big dog by a long shot and academics have done nothing but improve over the years....just a terrible point in time that was completely self-inflicted by IU Admin.

I will step out and let the troll do...what he does.

Ehh idk about package deal honestly. I think it just worked out that way but I don’t think they were assuming they’d play together in college.

The problem was hiring Sampscum and the investigation that included recruiting calls. It was the perfect storm that to MP's credit he capitalized on. Still a missed opportunity for both parties. Rob will do just fine however.

I understand the PU perspective on this we see here saying IU was in the past and hoping Rob was not interested in IU, but IU was still the big dog by a long shot and academics have done nothing but improve over the years....just a terrible point in time that was completely self-inflicted by IU Admin.

I will step out and let the troll do...what he does.

Hummel liked Purdue better. It’s that simple. Doesn’t matter who was coaching for you guys.

Hummel liked Purdue better. It’s that simple. Doesn’t matter who was coaching for you guys.
I think for newer IU fans who haven’t followed the program for long, they don’t really have any appreciation for where the program was then versus where it had been when it was elite. It wasn’t the same, as the many divisions in the fan base and the lack of emphasis on academics proved beyond a doubt. We don’t even need to discuss the team and program culture at that time, which was far less than exemplary. Too bad for those of us who are long time IU fans and alums, but good for PU and Hummel. I’m sure he’s never regretted his decision.

Er, how do you know that?

Generally speaking, I would say the coaching staff at any suitor would be an incredibly important consideration for any recruit. I guess it’s possible that coaches didn’t matter for Hummel. But that would make him pretty rare.

ADVERTISEMENT