ADVERTISEMENT

RJ injury?

Only thing I have read are some Purdue fans happy he got hurt as payback for the home cooking during the game. They are happy it is season and possibly career ending.

There are idiots everywhere, and there are always a handful of idiots wishing ill. I sincerely doubt they speak for a majority of Purdue fans. And I realize you were not suggesting differently - let's hope for RobJohn's sake, he is fine.

Tom Crean says "it's too early to tell" on sophomore guard Robert Johnson, who left game w/what appeared to be an ankle issue.

This sorta looks like an advertisement for someone who teaches strength training:

635916135650461591-PurdueInd-MBB-02202016-61.JPG

My guess is we won't hear anything from iu on the injury for several days.

Remember how we did not hear the severity of JBJ's injury for some time? I too expect it will be a few days with RJ. I hope I am wrong but it looked pretty serious.

Pretty frustrating the secrecy surrounding injuries with the program under Crean. Not sure if NCAA rules changed, but I don't recall not even knowing what the injury is for weeks prior to Crean. We don't even know what Blackmon's knee injury was -- was it an ACL, a meniscus, something else?

Pretty frustrating the secrecy surrounding injuries with the program under Crean. Not sure if NCAA rules changed, but I don't recall not even knowing what the injury is for weeks prior to Crean. We don't even know what Blackmon's knee injury was -- was it an ACL, a meniscus, something else?
I could be remembering wrong, but I believe Blackmon was contemplating surgery and sought at least one second medical opinion. Also, the players (and their families) can talk about their own injuries if they care to.

Last edited:
It's not the program under Crean, it's the privacy laws and the NCAA. It's the new way of doing things and isn't coaches fault believe it or not.

It's not the program under Crean, it's the privacy laws and the NCAA. It's the new way of doing things and isn't coaches fault believe it or not.
I believe it was actually JBJ's father that broke the silence publicly on JBJ's injury.

As a fan it is none of our business what the injury is and until they release the news we can not do anything about it. Unless you are a betting man and need to know what the injury news is why worry about it.

Why worry about it? Uhm, because I'm an obsessed IU fan hoping for a big ten title, like most people on this board. (With some notable exceptions.)

Reactions: russelltodd
?? There is a difference between a high ankle sprain, a usual ankle sprain, a fractured foot, etc. It is 100% that he won't be able to play on Thursday considering he couldn't bare any weight on it, the question is about long term prognosis.

Why worry about it? Uhm, because I'm an obsessed IU fan hoping for a big ten title, like most people on this board. (With some notable exceptions.)
Just because you're obsessed doesn't grant you access to a kid's health status. That, actually, is sounds like a personal problem; you will have to come to terms with not knowing for a little while.

Just because you're obsessed doesn't grant you access to a kid's health status. That, actually, is sounds like a personal problem; you will have to come to terms with not knowing for a little while.

Settle down, I didn't say it should grant me access. I just said it is something that bothers me as a fan.

This is accurate, but some grey area. I dealt with this for a number of years early in my career in athletic administration. It used to be we would put injury reports out there without thinking twice. That began to change in 1996 with HIPAA rules. HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. That changed the equation considerably.

Where the grey area comes in is that coaches and non-medical staff are not subject to HIPAA laws. They can technically make a statement that doesn't fall under the privacy aspect of the law. However, the lawyers at many schools have given a blanket approach not to say anything by anyone on the staff as the easiest out. Just don't say anything. It frustrates fans, but lawyers do what lawyers do, and that is try to reduce risk for their client. In this case the university.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said it best a few years back. "Let's face it, the easiest thing is to say nothing." That's what many programs now do.

This is accurate, but some grey area. I dealt with this for a number of years early in my career in athletic administration. It used to be we would put injury reports out there without thinking twice. That began to change in 1996 with HIPAA rules. HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. That changed the equation considerably.

Where the grey area comes in is that coaches and non-medical staff are not subject to HIPAA laws. They can technically make a statement that doesn't fall under the privacy aspect of the law. However, the lawyers at many schools have given a blanket approach not to say anything by anyone on the staff as the easiest out. Just don't say anything. It frustrates fans, but lawyers do what lawyers do, and that is try to reduce risk for their client. In this case the university.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said it best a few years back. "Let's face it, the easiest thing is to say nothing." That's what many programs now do.

You are most correct. Best to respect his privacy.

Thanks, good insight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT