ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals NSD Winners and Losers...

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
According to a recent article in Rivals regarding the National Signing Day, they came up with a list of biggest winners and losers on the day. As far as the “losers” today, they list: Florida, Michigan State and IU.

Florida - they cite the inability to close the deal on some key recruits and have one or two flips go against them.

MSU - they lament the sudden retirement of Dantonio 2 days prior to NSD as a slap in the face to the class they signed and said that two verbals who were unsigned were not left with much of a choice but to sign with the Spartans this late in the process.

IU - while they praised the LOI of Bensen and indicated that it was breaking new ground for IU to go up against SEC schools and snag him, they also said that the loss of Sidney Williams to FSU really stings because IU thought they were in really good shape with him.
The commentary goes on to say that losing Hagen was a big blow and that it seems that just “when IU seems to be taking a step forward, they take two steps back.”

Reactions: red hornet
According to a recent article in Rivals regarding the National Signing Day, they came up with a list of biggest winners and losers on the day. As far as the “losers” today, they list: Florida, Michigan State and IU.

Florida - they cite the inability to close the deal on some key recruits and have one or two flips go against them.

MSU - they lament the sudden retirement of Dantonio 2 days prior to NSD as a slap in the face to the class they signed and said that two verbals who were unsigned were not left with much of a choice but to sign with the Spartans this late in the process.

IU - while they praised the LOI of Bensen and indicated that it was breaking new ground for IU to go up against SEC schools and snag him, they also said that the loss of Sidney Williams to FSU really stings because IU thought they were in really good shape with him.
The commentary goes on to say that losing Hagen was a big blow and that it seems that just “when IU seems to be taking a step forward, they take two steps back.”
Little dramatic.

I guess if it was boring who would read it.

TomT

I don't feel that way at all. I like this class and I especially like all the Olinemen that we got. We got a good mixture of tackles and interior linemen. We also got 2 older guys to help balance out the classes. With what we have returning, there wasn't a glaring need for an immediate impact guy, but Powell out of Stanford might end up a starter at guard. Although I'm sure Nworah and others are looking at that slot as theirs for the taking as well. Then the 5 freshman and the JUCO all can get a RS year and get faster, stronger, and learn the offense.

I also like the DE and DT we got from GA. They both look very promising. The WR's are also just what we needed. The jewel of the class is Williams, but I'm very high on Baker as well. He's got great size and speed. Finally, I think the staff did a good job of getting guys that they liked to fill out the remaining spots. If we can close Swann then I think that this recruiting class will have ended up as a very good class that allows for next year's even smaller class, but with more high profile signings hopefully, to really complement this class.

I don't think we can say for sure if it really is a "step back" until we see what his replacement adds to the program. It may be a huge step forward and from what I read here and in other places, it seemed as if it was always felt that if FSU offered, Williams would take it and FSU was his first choice.

Last edited:

Well leave it to rivals to be completely clueless. And the class isn't done yet. But regardless of that, the real momentum from 8 wins and a major bowl comes the following season. Can't really make a huge splash with less than a handful of ships to fill. And I don't see where MSU got hurt either. Did anyone back out at the last second with them?

No offense to Hagen departure, but I don't think that equates to "two steps backward" nor do I think he set the recruiting world on fire. Not saying he was awful, but not like he's brought in the 4 & 5 star gems! I could see a new DL coach coming in who could surpass his recruiting and maybe bring some new energy to the DL room.

Per this recruiting class, think it fits "IU needs and type of players they like" but didn't set the world on fire either. But given the depth/youth we have, I think the intent may have purposefully been bring in guys we can develop and we have no expectation of them playing next year, don't need them to like we had in the past. That hopefully is the secret sauce to this year's class: ability to RS many and be strongly on depth building mode the way Allen wants to build a program built to last.

Well leave it to rivals to be completely clueless. And the class isn't done yet. But regardless of that, the real momentum from 8 wins and a major bowl comes the following season. Can't really make a huge splash with less than a handful of ships to fill. And I don't see where MSU got hurt either. Did anyone back out at the last second with them?

Yeah - don’t shoot the messenger. As far as MSU, the writer said this specifically:

The 19 prospects who signed with the Spartans in December are no better off than their brethren at Baylor, Mississippi State or Washington State who inked letters of intent to play for head coaches who are no longer there. The timing, though, put Michigan State’s three unsigned commitments in a bind. Two – linebacker
Jasiyah Robinson and running back
Donovan Eaglin – decided their best option was still to sign with the Spartans despite the program’s uncertain future. However, Georgia three-star running back
Jordon Simmons, whose brother had some criticism for Dantonio on Tuesday night, opted not to sign, making him the only prospect in the Spartans' class who will ultimately get a choice in this matter.”

So a new recruit who signed a LOI before the HC leaves, has no recourse? If so, this doesn't seem fair as the new coach may use a different system that's not complementary to said recruit...watch the revolving door portal on these programs.

I hear you, but if Indiana can have a another winning season with a bowl win, the stars will begin to align for us.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How does Kentucky and Purdue land all these 4 star guys and we get 1? Lol.
I think a large part of it has to do with the "rep" that IU football has. We have been historically bad and when the recruits come into Memorial stadium attendance is dismal. If you're a 4 star recruit would you rather go play for 90,000 fans in Lincoln or 25,00-40,000 in Bloomington :confused:. I do think we are turning a corner and with winning attendance will increase. I made it to 4 games this year and hopefully I can make all 6 next.

So a new recruit who signed a LOI before the HC leaves, has no recourse? If so, this doesn't seem fair as the new coach may use a different system that's not complementary to said recruit...watch the revolving door portal on these programs.
They do. They can be released from their NLI if the coach leaves. However, it is difficult:

1). New Coaches/players cannot have contact after an NLI is signed, until the player has been released.
2). Once released, there is no guarantee that they will have an available spot at a new school due to (supposed) non-contact.
3). School releasing the player from NLI is under no obligation to honor a scholarship once released and player may not want to risk that.

Rivals continues to show me less and less in their evaluations of players and programs. If losing Hagen is a step or two back then adding Kevin Wright should be considered an equal number of steps forward. Maybe, even one more step forward. I think Wright has more potential upside than Hagen in both coaching and recruiting.

Rivals continues to show me less and less in their evaluations of players and programs. If losing Hagen is a step or two back then adding Kevin Wright should be considered an equal number of steps forward. Maybe, even one more step forward. I think Wright has more potential upside than Hagen in both coaching and recruiting.
Rivals is garbage. I picked up a peegs subscription for 60% off. Way better coverage too.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT