ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Rush Limbaugh

First, I don't view personal responsibility as solely a conservative virtue. I have liberal tendencies and fully buy into the obligations that go along with personal responsibility. Personal responsibility embraces the idea that one's actions are their own responsibility - and that one should be held morally and legally responsible for the outcomes of those actions. Are there any conservative, orange characters that come to mind when one thinks about those who don't willingly face the consequences of their own actions? One could make the case that he isn't conservative, I guess.
Are you implying that the only method of birth control, for everyone, is abstinence? If one chooses to use birth control, is it your position that they are personally irresponsible?
I was not thinking about abstinence but it is true that you can't get pregnant if you use this option. If someone uses birth control and they pay for it I don't have a problem with them doing so because it really has nothing to do with me. As we all know birth control is usually never 100% effective so one takes a risk. How can people who think that the government should pay for their personal choices ie taking birth control because they are engaged in sexual activity be considered personally responsible? If they are then let them pay for them. If they can't pay for them then if they are responsible they won't engage in sexual intercourse.

I was not thinking about abstinence but it is true that you can't get pregnant if you use this option. If someone uses birth control and they pay for it I don't have a problem with them doing so because it really has nothing to do with me. As we all know birth control is usually never 100% effective so one takes a risk. How can people who think that the government should pay for their personal choices ie taking birth control because they are engaged in sexual activity be considered personally responsible? If they are then let them pay for them. If they can't pay for them then if they are responsible they won't engage in sexual intercourse.

Can I excessively jerk off and still get into heaven?

• Haha
Reactions: Baller23Boogie
How can people who think that the government should pay for their personal choices ie taking birth control because they are engaged in sexual activity be considered personally responsible? If they are then let them pay for them. If they can't pay for them then if they are responsible they won't engage in sexual intercourse.
Should poor married couples who can't afford birth control, yet alone more children, refrain from sexual intercourse? Or should they just engage in mutual masturbation and oral/anal sex?

Reactions: TommyCracker

And here we are today, all of us, struggling under the immensely dumb and aggravating cognitive burdens of the world Limbaugh inspired. I have covered right-wing media for Slate for a few years now, and I am still occasionally struck by its fundamental weirdness. It’s a parallel world, and to drop in on it from our own can be a truly disorienting experience, like attending a midnight screening of a cult classic that everyone in the theater but you has memorized. You’ll encounter storylines with which you are unfamiliar, key figures you’ve never heard of, nicknames and references that you will not understand. This world is fueled by dubious news stories that are published by websites you do not read, validated by experts with no relevant credentials, amplified by Limbaugh and his peers. It is a world that excludes all divergent opinion, one that is predicated on an entirely separate set of facts and sources than the one relied upon by the rest of the press.
Limbaugh was at the vanguard of this experiment, and it worked so well that the country is now frequently at the mercy of a bunch of malevolent loons. It’s not that everything bad about American politics today can be traced back to Limbaugh. It’s that the sneering, self-pitying, bad-faith style of argument that he perfected is practiced not just by right-wing media, but by many right-wing politicians, too. Every senator who jumps on television at a moment’s notice to whine about cancel culture even as hundreds of thousands of Americans have died of a virus that many on the right had been loath to admit even existed; every representative who exalts baseless conspiracies while railing against stimulus payments for the unemployed; every governor who cares more about owning the libs than about administering his or her state; every local official who seems not just to misunderstand the role of government but to actively resent it: They are all Limbaugh’s children. The mean, self-pitying illogic he mainstreamed is endemic now. The chief ghoul is gone, but the ghoulishness is here to stay.

And here we are today, all of us, struggling under the immensely dumb and aggravating cognitive burdens of the world Limbaugh inspired. I have covered right-wing media for Slate for a few years now, and I am still occasionally struck by its fundamental weirdness. It’s a parallel world, and to drop in on it from our own can be a truly disorienting experience, like attending a midnight screening of a cult classic that everyone in the theater but you has memorized. You’ll encounter storylines with which you are unfamiliar, key figures you’ve never heard of, nicknames and references that you will not understand. This world is fueled by dubious news stories that are published by websites you do not read, validated by experts with no relevant credentials, amplified by Limbaugh and his peers. It is a world that excludes all divergent opinion, one that is predicated on an entirely separate set of facts and sources than the one relied upon by the rest of the press.
Limbaugh was at the vanguard of this experiment, and it worked so well that the country is now frequently at the mercy of a bunch of malevolent loons. It’s not that everything bad about American politics today can be traced back to Limbaugh. It’s that the sneering, self-pitying, bad-faith style of argument that he perfected is practiced not just by right-wing media, but by many right-wing politicians, too. Every senator who jumps on television at a moment’s notice to whine about cancel culture even as hundreds of thousands of Americans have died of a virus that many on the right had been loath to admit even existed; every representative who exalts baseless conspiracies while railing against stimulus payments for the unemployed; every governor who cares more about owning the libs than about administering his or her state; every local official who seems not just to misunderstand the role of government but to actively resent it: They are all Limbaugh’s children. The mean, self-pitying illogic he mainstreamed is endemic now. The chief ghoul is gone, but the ghoulishness is here to stay.
Limbaugh lies low, legacy lives long

Should poor married couples who can't afford birth control, yet alone more children, refrain from sexual intercourse? Or should they just engage in mutual masturbation and oral/anal sex?
"Poor married couples who can't afford birth control"......
Good grief.......
It's like 75 cents in a fracking gas station bathroom.

Can I excessively jerk off and still get into heaven?
Not sure what you are meaning by this? Can you sin and still go to Heaven? Yes, only if you put your trust in Jesus' death for your sin. Now believing means a radical change of disposition. Believing in Christ changes everything. Your world view changes. Your hope changes. And your moral life begins to take a better shape.

I made a reference to the virgin birth today.

Somebody actually asked me how I could be sure that it is impossible to get covid from taking the covid vaccine. I said that the vaccine has no virus in it, so getting a viral infection from it would be as miraculous as a virgin birth.

Mark, I’ve been dirt poor and I found a way to afford it. I don’t have any children from my wild and reckless pre-marriage days. It’s not an onerous thing - it’s an inconvenient thing. I’m not one that thinks poor people are too stupid to do this, after all I was poor too. I’m not against insurance coverage for birth control for women, but I don’t support requiring legitimate religious organizations that object to that, such as Georgetown University, being forced to pay for insurance plans to provide it. That was the issue with the college student that Rush tried to slut-shame. I also think that was one of the things he deserves criticism for doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: F.Fletch

He’s being damned from the left and lauded from the right. The truth, like with many things, is somewhere in between.

He’s being damned from the left and lauded from the right. The truth, like with many things, is somewhere in between.
This was the quote that jumped out at me:
It’s a parallel world, and to drop in on it from our own can be a truly disorienting experience, like attending a midnight screening of a cult classic that everyone in the theater but you has memorized. You’ll encounter storylines with which you are unfamiliar, key figures you’ve never heard of, nicknames and references that you will not understand. This world is fueled by dubious news stories that are published by websites you do not read, validated by experts with no relevant credentials, amplified by Limbaugh and his peers. It is a world that excludes all divergent opinion, one that is predicated on an entirely separate set of facts and sources than the one relied upon by the rest of the press.
An excellent bit of writing, and it described things perfectly.

Reactions: outside shooter
It’s a parallel world, and to drop in on it from our own can be a truly disorienting experience, like attending a midnight screening of a cult classic that everyone in the theater but you has memorized. You’ll encounter storylines with which you are unfamiliar, key figures you’ve never heard of, nicknames and references that you will not understand. This world is fueled by dubious news stories that are published by websites you do not read, validated by experts with no relevant credentials, amplified by Limbaugh and his peers. It is a world that excludes all divergent opinion, one that is predicated on an entirely separate set of facts and sources than the one relied upon by the rest of the press.

That is excellent writing and has given us the biological science that men menstruate.

Agreed but it’s more that he moved the “in between.” I grew up in a conservative household. I was in my 20s when Rush got big. Remember my mom just being disgusted after a couple of his headline grabbing bullshit racist or sexist comments. Pure hate and fearmongering. His legacy is that he re-energized hate of the “other” or did I forget people were asking if Michael Dukakis was actually a US citizen?

Except...”entirely separate set of facts” is misleadingly incorrect. Instead it should be invented fact-substitutes, lies, opinions, or similar depending on the instance.

Serious question here. How many times did you actually listen to Rush's show for more than 5 minutes? Some people critique Rush who have never listened to his show. They only respond to what others have said. Not fighting here. Please don't take it that way. I am just asking.
You make a valid point. I made the decision years ago that I didn't care for his speel. I invested no time in listening to him and I certainly didn't know him personally. I gave no value his views and opinions. However, any man's death due to cancer is troubling to me. I have dealt with cancer myself. I invested no time in him during his lifetime and I'm not inclined to "chime in" at his death.

I listen to this guy every day while I'm working. I like Smerconish a lot. He's very level headed, not partisan and open to different points of view. I don't know if he still is, but he was a Republican. Even if he doesn't identify as a Republican now for whatever reason, he's the kind of Republican that I am.

Incidentally, some of those commented on this and said he was kissing Rush's a$$. He didn't even come close to doing that. Some people just can't fathom even mild positive comments about someone they perceive to be on the other "team."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT